Stewart Title Guaranty Company Employee Reviews

Poorly managed, runs like a pyramid scheme with those at the top well taken care of
Escrow Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 8, 2016
I read and overlooked these prior reviews when accepting a position at Stewart Title. I was a two year employee and my comments are similar to the other posts here. Being that I am a fair individual I will share both the pros and cons as objectively as possible. Based on the severity of the cons, if you are considering employment and have another offer elsewhere or the possibility of an offer elsewhere then pass on Stewart. This company is poorly managed and lacks appreciation for the core of their company, those who earn the least but responsible for most of the work.
Pros
Great insurance benefits and the overall benefit package is competitive, managers are highly compensated, upper management commission structure is good
Cons
Management style is tyranny and over compensated as lower employees do all the work, management hires family and friends prior to ever posting a position, HR covers up these practices because they are involved in it, no merit raises, most employees have negative attitudes likely due to poorly managed and unethical business culture, no real chain of command.
Only if you have no other choice!
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  TexasFebruary 20, 2017
Stewart was a great place to work at maybe.....over 20 years ago. The old saying time brings about a change is TRUE. Please only work here if you have no other choice in which I think many people are doing. Management-once upon a time you could walk in a speak what was on your heart without being judged for it...now, what you say doesn't matter. People that worked there cannot be trusted-they will throw you under the bus to take the light off them (constantly). Upper management seems to have a blind eye to what is going on in the office or they do know and do not care. There is no longer any job security-Stewart will let you got to save a buck and will outsource like changing drawers. You always had that feeling, is today the day? Employee morale was low and they could care less about how you felt. Even if you did your job and did it exceptionally well, they always found a way to point out what you lacked as an employee. They will add more work to your job title without any compensation.-don't even think about asking-you will never get an answer. They will love you, then they will show you their true colors. Just choose wisely before you work here. Make it your last choice.
Pros
None-JUST DONT-no raises-no bonuses-no nothing-just a paycheck
Cons
Management is lacking intergrity-liars
Petty adults and no management
Appraisal Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 20, 2017
The work was easy, if you are trained properly which is typically not the case. People you shadow to train with all tell you different things and then you get report cards against you for doing what you were trained do. Management is terrible, you go to them with concerns and they make you feel like you are an idiot but the minions all see the same problems. Everyone talks about each other behind everyones backs, management and supervisors included. Extremely unprofessional workplace. Save yourself time and do not take a job at this location, it is a revolving door and once business slows down they will just get rid of you.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Management, poor training
Co-workers were very nice and helpful
Valuation Processor (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 21, 2017
Good Company, growth for individuals slow.
Employees very nice, everyone works as a team.
Must have understanding of appraisals, and work with appraisers on a daily basis.
Pros
worked as a team
Cons
cubicles
Stewart is an old, sinking ship
Worker (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 28, 2016
Stewart has gone from a family run, honest company to a corporate greed infested cesspool. Upper management has no interest in their subordinates. They have frozen the lower income employees' salaries for 7 years. They will work you like a dog so the higher ups can continue to grub money. Layoffs are frequent and unexpected. Do not recommend.
Pros
The people Stewart hire as work horses
Cons
No work life balance, not family friendly, awful
Nothing long term
Appraiser Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 11, 2017
Your typical day at work has a set routine and very boring. Co-workers always complained and talk about each other behind their back. No structured training. Management is very disengaged and poor communication. By far worst company I've worked for. The only enjoyable thing was an hour lunch. Long story short i quit.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
management
don't work for Stewart
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Nowhere, OKApril 19, 2016
First off Stewart are liars their hr lady walked around firing people and intimidating employees daily. Stewart wanted employees to work on a holiday and no pay overtime the management didn't know a thing about their job one supervisor would take 2-3 hour lunches and got away with it Stewart discriminated against the non white employees. Stewart just laid off 450 people no job security and Stewart forced employees to sign a voluntary resignation form and if you didn't sign it you were fired that same day people that had been with the company 40 plus years only got .10 percent of a severance Stewart is a low down horrible company don't work there
Pros
No pros
Cons
Management pay
Great Company
Receptionist (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 27, 2016
I worked her as a Temp to get my foot in the door with Real estate. I loved it and it helped me get the experience I needed in order to move up to a full time position.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
No Benefits
interactive learning environment
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 3, 2017
getting to go to many luncheons multiple times a week interacting with big names in the business. learning paperwork such as deeds of trusts and invoicing. huge learning opportunity within a short 6 weeks.
Pros
free luncheons, speakers, learning everything you can about the business
What I learned
Escrow Assistant/funder (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 16, 2016
I worked as an escrow assistant/funder for a few years at Stewart Title in Houston. I had worked for them before at a different location but left that for a better location. When I applied the second time, even though I was going through an employment agency, I was given an undeserved bad comment from the past supervisor. I had no idea why as when I worked with her she seemed to like my work very much and I left on good terms with proper notice. However the new manager wisely overlooked her emotional comments and hired me where I once again did a very good job in my new position. I left to go to school full time. While I was there I enjoyed the work, had a lot to do and they were good at letting you learn new things. The pay was average and they managed the staff and work schedules fairly well. The office manager at the time was given a bad rep by many of the females there however I found him to be very reasonable and sensible and also mindful of getting the job done and done right. Maybe that was what they didn't like.
Pros
Lots of work, good opportunities, good pay
Cons
Very hectic at times
Productive, but TOO much favoritism, too many cheifs not enough Indians
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 22, 2014
Love the company as a whole, but absolutely no room for advancement. Bonuses taken away, reviews are required but no raises since... Management hires mostly family/friends first, where as staff is told there are no openings. Assistant to management associates with staff, not acceptable when it comes to confidentiality. Non workets get away with everything, while actually working ppl get blamed for everything. You have been warned, you DO NOT want to work here
Pros
Free lunch at month end, laid back atmosphere
Cons
horrible insurance, only smokers get 15min brakes, told to bring your lunch so you don't have to leave for lunch
Great Workplace with Mediocre Management
Title Specialist III (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 21, 2015
This was one of my favorite employment opportunities, by far. However; the management was terrible. I was great at what I did, and managed one lender by myself and did quite well with the assistance that I was provided. I was hired to work the shift of 10am-7pm CST, but the training hours were 9am-6pm CST. I was then instructed to continue working the training hours to better satisfy the client. Due to daily traffic and parking issues, as well as system/time clock speed, I was not able to actually clock in to the system until 1-3 minutes after my actual start time. This was happening daily. When first coached about this issue, I had requested to alter my shift from 9am-6pm to 9:30am-6:30pm or 9:30am-6pm (with a shorter lunch), as I was informed that this was an option upon being hired. My supervisor stated that she would look into this and get back to me within the next few days. Several weeks had gone by with the same issues. I was coached again and put on a final warning. When I followed up on my request for a shift change, which was only being requested to ensure that I would be clocked in on time, I was denied this request "due to my current attendance issues". Also, I would constantly stay late to ensure that Closings would take place as scheduled, which would determine the actual loan going through as discussed by the client and the customer. This was then used against me when I was terminated, even though the client was constantly praising and thanking me for doing this to ensure the satisfaction of the customer.
Pros
Great Career Opportunity, Great benefits, Amazing salary
Cons
VERY poor management, poor coaching techniques, minimal time provided for improvement
Could be a decent company under better goals
Commercial Title Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CaliforniaApril 4, 2015
Having worked for Stewart Title in California I found that it was a very self-destructed company. Stewart Title was one company you put on the bottom of your list. Their National work was never followed thru with and generally never closed. Their Corporate People took credit for the larger deals because they got commission. They were constantly changing direction and took a 10 plus year success story and destroyed it. The Manager went to Chicago Title and was able to move most if not all of his resale business with him. Employess were removed in mass without even a thank you.
Pros
Local Management door open all the time
Cons
Corporate Management always looking for the cheep way.
Too much favoritism in the workplace and not enough office space to accomodate everyone.
Data Control Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 9, 2012
Everyday was the same protocol regarding of claim retrieval, processing, posting, correspondence and reception duties. Real estate law, title insurance, the entire process of claims from filing to settlements.
Upon being hired, the woman who was my manager up until November 2011 was flexible, open-minded, kind, and understanding as well as very encouraging and supportive when learning new tasks.
Hardest part of the job was that the expectations were almost impossible to reach especially when experiencing a backlog of work and not being able to get caught up for a few days.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the entire claim process and what it entailed.
Pros
learning a new kind of law, lunch ordered frequently, flexible schedule
Cons
pay rate, no advancement
Dedicated worker
Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXNovember 10, 2015
I am a dedicated worker, love to have challenge for learning new job everyday, quick learner and great team work.
It is a great experience to work with Stewart by great management, big company with straight and clear policy, very secured work place.
Got along with everyone.
Examiner (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLMay 6, 2014
When working for a company, a learned my job and duties to the best of my ability and required little or no supervision. After being there for a while, I was usually the employee that trained all new employees. No problem getting along with all fellow employees as well as the management. I took a lot of pride in my work and would never let anything leave my desk without reviewing it a second time. I was a very organized employee. I really enjoyed working with numbers and handling cash. Cash drawers always balanced without a problem. If there was anything difficult about my position, I would strive even harder to master the requirements.
Lonely
Administrative Assistant/Claims Counsel Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRMarch 20, 2014
I have mixed feelings about working for them. I learned so many things but it was because I had initiative. Long hours every day without compensation.
Not employee retention focused
Legal Files System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2015
Behind the times on policies. Substandard wages, advance into new position but salary remains the same. Heavy micro managing.
Pros
Cons
everything
Reo
Lenders Services (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 11, 2014
Don't even think about it! After a 30 year career in the title industry I don't think I can ever walk into another title company. Management has no clue..it is not okay to beat people down.
Love working in this Stewart Title Guaranty Company
Legal Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Tollway Office, Dallas, TXNovember 10, 2014
Typical day at work was reading emails, setting up claims and looking up the policy information.

I learned how the claim department set up and curative title claims.

Management was the very best I have ever had.
Co-works were absolutely the greatest.

Sitting for 8 hours a day.

I loved everything about this office. I am really sad that the lay off happened, but it was a reorganization of the whole claims department.
Pros
Enjoyed coming to work.
Cons
Hated leaving as stated above.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stewart Title Guaranty Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9