Stifel Nicolaus Employee Reviews

Office is very stressful
Associate Vice President (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 16, 2017
the office in extremely stressful
lack of management
last minute no planning
flexible hours and time
not much room for advancement
understaffed for daily functions
Bad Management
Managing Director (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 9, 2017
OK to work there. Good pay but bad mgmt.
I worked there for 17 years and felt that it wqs fair but highly political. Merit was not necessarily considered.
Nice place to work
Financial Advisor/ - Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILApril 7, 2017
The main manager of operations was a jerk who did not honor his word. He made promises he did not keep, unprofessional conduct was often exhibited. He went off on me for something my sales assistant did in frustration.
Sent me on wild goose chases for promised promotions that did not come to be.
Pros
company back office efficient, benefits great
Cons
one of the three top managers
Great Company
Order Room Trade Support (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 25, 2017
Great Company, But have to start at the bottom and doesn't seem to have a good job growth/time ratio. However, good work relationships and learning experience with comfortable setting
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
Low Pay, can get boring
Learning Experince
Internship (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALFebruary 22, 2017
This was my first real job experince even thoughit was an internship. I learned basic stoke broker perspectives and woking habits. Overall one of my favorite places I was at.
Fast paced, high energy environment
Client Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 21, 2017
I had little experience in this industry when I started. I love how I grew into this role and I am eager to keep learning and keep growing in finance.
VP Equity Research
Vice President (Former Employee) –  BaltimoreSeptember 12, 2016
Prepare and publish financial research on publicly traded companies with market caps ranging from $85 million to $43 billion for institutional and retail investors across the industrial sector. Lead the data gathering, analysis, publication and presentations of both industry and company specific reports. Interact with clients and senior level executives and members of Investors Relations on a daily basis to understand the latest trends. Update financial and economic models for the publicly available data and news relevant to the companies under coverage.
employee focused
Financial Advisor, CFP (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNSeptember 8, 2016
Good corporate culture let the advisors work at what they wanted to meet the employee and corporate goals. Employees had goals that they wanted to meet and the company enabled ollowed them the space to meet those goals in the fashion that worked for each employee.

Typical work day was 8:30 to 4
Management was encouraging
They provided the resources you needed to bring value to the clients.
Pros
Very nice people
Cons
Pretty good place to work!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 17, 2016
Mostly, I liked the people I worked with! However, the finance industry isn't for everyone. I learned a lot about myself. I loved working with my clients and I will miss them the most. But, reporting to a variety of advisors can be the most difficult part because everyone has their own set of expectations. It's hard to conform to all of the advisors, the clients and yourself.
A Really Quiet Place
Market Data Procurement Analyst (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 11, 2016
I love the company, however, my current manager is unkind and it's difficult to get the normal job function done wondering the next time an explosion will occur. Wish I could stay longer as I like the firm and its values but there is always a chance that one person could stand in your way of true happiness in your career.
Pros
Free soda, covered parking (@$70/month)
Cons
Not great health insurance, expensive and it doesn't cover much
The people make this company great!
Headquarters (Current Employee) –  St LouisAugust 9, 2015
My initial reaction to this broker dealer was distorted. After working here and seeing what the CEO is doing, I'm extremely excited to be apart of something great!
Pros
Micro management free
Cons
Wish pay were more in line with other broker dealers
Great Company - Operations departments vary
Operations New Accounts Senior Team Lead (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 30, 2015
Log on to the computer, work daily reports, open accounts, review account opening documents, and work on data governance projects. Co workers are decent, direct management has a lot to be desired.
Pros
401K, decent upward mobility
Cons
benefits have lots to be desired
Was able to run my unit on my terms as long as the numbers were always there.
Managing Director (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 26, 2015
The best thing about my job was management had a "hands off" approach.
Most enjoyable part of the job was being given the opportunity to build and maintain great relationships with clients , many of whom became good friends.
Great place to work with a great chance for advancement
Wire Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 4, 2015
Stifel Nicolaus is a great place to work with many opportunities and chances for advancement. They treated me very well while I was there.
A great place to work and learn technical aspects of trading
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 22, 2014
My typical day is always busy. I learn more everyday while I'm performing my job assignment. My management is always there to assist and encourage job proficiency and efficiency. My co-workers are fun to work with and make my day go fast. The hardest part of the job is not having enough time to resolve every crisis. Most enjoyable part of the job is working in the downtown business area of St. Louis.
Middle Market structured broker dealer
Fixed Income Trading Desk, Vice-President (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2014
Middle Market structured broker dealer. Firm is based in St Louis with a lot of satellite offices - this gives employees the opportunity to work anywhere in the country remotely.
Stifel - Operations View Point
Operations (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 4, 2014
Stifel is a typical corporate job.
Daily duties with a mix of projects. Reports. Phone Calls. A typical cubicle job. Very little prospect for moving up if you are new to the firm. Management is good for the most part, depending on your department.
Pros
Free Soda, Coffee, Tea
Cons
Pay, Benefits, Culture
Had input to types of commincation offered to clients
Marketing Software Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Danville, KYOctober 28, 2013
Daily inventory of which clients required professional letters regarding their personal accounts, who required personal letters and generated these letters and mailed. Worked in compliance with the firm officers. Answered questions for customers who called or came into office. Coordinated with the financial advisor, any special correspondence needed for the week and month.
A great place to work
Consulting Services-Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 22, 2013
At Stifel, I found everyone from the mail room to the head of my department open, kind, and approachable. Additionally, I had many chances to work with higher level employees and increase my responsibility and workload.
A challenging work environment
Registered Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOOctober 14, 2013
I work very hard for the clients and the brokers. I always make the client feel like they are the only one I am working with, I do not rush them when they have questions or concerns. I always remember that it is the clients money and they have worked hard for it. I am very professional with the brokers by offering suggestions and have extensive experience dealing with Insurance and Annuity companies. I enjoy the marketing aspect of the job, meeting new potential clients. I do not have a typical day of work. Working with (4) brokers and hundreds a clients, they dictate my day. So I rarely have a dull day. The hardest part of my job is keeping all the balls in the air and making sure nothing falls through the cracks. I also cross train employees.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No advancement