STIHL

STIHL Employee Reviews

great place to work
USA Machinist B (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 1, 2016
great company all around. Benefits are great and work and family life balance is good. very large company, so plenty of room for advancement if you work hard.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
short breaks
Outstanding company
Machining Manager (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 21, 2015
Absolutely the best company I have ever worked for, from benefits to management...if you can get in the door, go there and never leave.
Nice place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  536 Viking Drive, Virginia Beach, VA 23452June 8, 2015
STIHL is a decent place to work if you don't mind the repetitive work every day. Putting together parts day after day may not be for everyone but they do pay above minimum wage.
Pros
Pay was ok for the job
Cons
Same thing everyday, hard physical work sometimes
Excellent Company
Quality Assurance Inspector (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VaJuly 15, 2014
Good people, good wage, and a clean environment.
Overtime on a voluntary basis. If I had not moved I'd still be there
Was a busy job
CNC Operator (Former Employee) –  Va BeachJune 9, 2014
Operated CNC equipment and performed quality checks. Learned about the machining processes, setting up equipment. Management was ok. Co-workers were great. Nothing hard about it.
Pros
co-workers
interesting comment I read is a LIE
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Virginia beach, Va.March 28, 2014
The comment about 2 weeks paid shutdown is an outright lie. I worked there and what they will do is force you to use any vacation time you may have at the time the plant is closed. You have no say in the matter. They do not just pay you. Obviously that review was written by someone who is most likely in management.
Pros
great cafeteria
Cons
management superiority complex issues
It's a good job
Employment History Warehouse/Driver/Order (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 10, 2013
It'll do,They watch and wait for you mess up.not a lot of trust.
Pros
free beer
Cons
to many eyes on you
Developed Leadership Skills, Management of Labor workforce, glance of SAP while working with experts
Production Planning & Logistics Intern (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 7, 2013
Role & Responsibilities :-

SAP Experience
• Managed the flow of Work in Process
• Prevention of Material Line Outages
• Aided with Return to Vendor process
• Administered transfer orders for deliveries
• Inbound/Outbound shipping and receiving analysis
• Process Optimization on Material Flow, from Warehouse to
Assembly Lines
• Logistics in a Distribution Center
• Organizational Leadership
Best place to work
Planner (Former Employee) –  virginia beach, vaJuly 8, 2013
Sthil Inc. is an awesome environment and very employee friendly.
Pros
great location and strong management
Great job
Head Packer ( Assembly ), Trainer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 26, 2013
I was a packer and also received many different training on other stations of production including forklift and leadership.
productive, very clean, fun workplace
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 6, 2013
Stihl is the cleanest warehouse I have ever seen. As a material handler you transport materials from the warehouse to assembly lines on a forklift or electronic pallet jack, sort and transport stacks of pallets from pallet rooms to the yard. Great work environment with good associates. It has a full cafeteria and dining area where they serve breakfast lunch and dinner. One of the best things is they have two paid shutdown weeks off in December (the week of Christmas) and July (the week of the fourth of July).
Pros
good pay and two paid weeks off plus vacation time earned
State of the art Manufacturing Plant. One of the best in the world!
Process Technician (Polymers) (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 7, 2012
Worked in Polymers Dept. Great Engineers and Technicians. Excellent training and Technical support system. Management is sometimes overbearing but what manufacturing plant is not. Very lean. Hard work but you can be the lowest man on the totem pole and have a great career here. 401,pension, vacation, bonuses all great. If you have attendence problems, you will not last. Don't lie about your qualifications or experience. They will call you on it and it will backfire on you.
Pros
great benefits, bonuses, job security
Cons
attendence policy, management
My experience
Polymers Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  VAMay 29, 2012
It was a love hate feeling toward STIHL. Amazing Schedule, good pay and benfits. But advancement was shall I say "Sketchly". Within two short months of working in the polymers department, I was offered a technican position. I began training and it ended before it started. A lot of complains came from human resoures office to the head of the department on my behalf. I was immediately was sent to my supervisor office. Apperently my fellow co-workers felt some sort of way towards my speedy advancement in the company. I was not complaints on my ability to operate the forklifts, or the crane, or following procedures to execute my assignment. But, complaints measly on "Why is he training" and "Why was I not offered the position." My training stopped immediately and I returned to my machine operator duties. Later that month I was laid-off for what reasons I was told "production issues". When I ask for specific details, I received no rebutle.
Pros
amazing work schedule
Cons
mangement has no back bone!

Comment – January 10, 2013

I agree I have a love/hate as well. I was prior service before I came to Stihl and was use to not staying in the same position for a long period of time, but at Stihl I never was able to advance. I was told by supervisors that they need me at my position while production was high. But, really they just didn't want to take the time to train someone else for this easy position.I applied for many positions I even got my college degree while working at Stihl and still wasn't able to move up. I was informed by HR that I had been accepted to take the test for there apprenticeship program, but I never responded and it was after the deadline. HR informed me that they told my supervisor to tell me this but some how I never got this information. At the end I got an apology,but was still in the same position. pros: plenty of overtime..decent pay..good benefits cons: hounding management..extremely hot in the summers, repetitive work, short lunch breaks, and supervisors can be sneaky and disrespectful, lazy co-workers