Stimson Lumber Employee Reviews

Corp. office toxic
Log Accounting I (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 2, 2016
Work week 40 hours, underappreciated,bulling,harrasement,hostile.Some co-workers good to work with, company has lost lots of good employees do to others.Bonus give out for recommend others for jobs at company, but I would rather not.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
leaders do not include employees in decisions
Very Poor
Sticker setter (Former Employee) –  Gaston, OROctober 1, 2016
I worked here briefly a few years ago. I did sticker setter (horrible job, very boring and have to see DB operator all day and help him when he jams lumber.) and edger picker. Long days, debilitating work (rocking side to side flipping boards affecting my healthy acls), management that loves sycophants.
Glad they fired me, at the time I just stubbornly went to work for a couple months until they finally said that I wasn't getting it yet he couldn't say exactly what that was. Anyways, a horrible environment with depressing co-workers.
paid the bills but not much else.
forklift driver (Former Employee) –  St. Maries, IDSeptember 14, 2016
i worked for stimson for over 5 years. the first few months were fine, kind of enjoyed being there. pay was ok for me at the time being i was right out of high school. but as the months went on it became a living nightmare. day after day of being talked to like i wasnt as good as they (management) were. The management team also picks favorites, such as their relatives, or the people that kiss butt the most. The good, hard workers are always the ones to be treated unfairly, and they end up quitting or getting fired because they dont smile and wave everytime they see anyone on the management team. Seriously, what is so bad about a guy just wanting to work hard, make money, then go home to his family at the end of the day? management is a joke, they WILL NOT update the machines in the mill so that they are able to operate efficiently, but they expect perfection. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND any of my friends or family work here. they cater to the lazy guys as long as they kiss butt, but the hard workers get the shaft because they show respect, but dont suck up to the bosses. COMPLETE BS.
Pros
benefits are OK. hourly wages keep the bills paid sometimes.
Cons
pretty much everything under the sun, ridiculous management team, mediocre wages, nothing but issues with H.R. people.
Fast paced environment
Controls Engineer (Current Employee) –  Gaston, ORAugust 27, 2016
A good company to work for. Production efficiency is in the machinery is always optimized. They are not afraid of trying new things and an employee's opinion is always valued.
tiring
Rolling stock outfeed driver (Former Employee) –  Gaston, ORAugust 13, 2016
being the only forklift operator for the outfeed on a 10 hour shift is tiring especially when you have other priorites to also establish. needs to be a two man forklift team to do that job.
Tough job, good benifits
Machine Operator level 3/ Forklift Operator 2 (Former Employee) –  Saint Maries, IDMay 10, 2016
Hard physical work, dangerous working environment, long hours, and constant attention to detail needed. Exposed to outside elements. Production oriented and pushed incessantly by management. Pay is decent if compared to other area employment. Benefits are very good.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Hard, dangerous work. Pushed incessantly by management to produce
fun environment, safety oreiented
Machine op. 3 (Current Employee) –  Gaston, ORJanuary 17, 2016
fun place to work, employees get along well. safety is number one. lots of chances to move around to different departments and job titles.
Catch problems before they become one.
Lead Millwright (Current Employee) –  Haag Lake GastonJanuary 8, 2016
Troubleshooting, PM pre-trouble analysis, and on call response to down time issues requiring immediate solutions.
Team work and good moral.
Pros
High safety standards
Cons
Saw dust everywhere
Good place to work good people to work for
Lead Millwright (Former Employee) –  Cd,A, IDMay 8, 2015
Everyone here is helpful and try to help you be the best you can be.
Everyone works together to put out a top notch product and have fun doing so.
Pros
God people to work for
Cons
benefits package could be better
Never the same thing twice.
Boiler Operator (Former Employee) –  Plummer, IDFebruary 5, 2015
When I was first hired to work as a Boiler Assistant my supervisor told me that the one thing he could promise me was that the CoGen was never the same thing day after day. I continued to tell this to other employees as they started working with me as assistants. Being a Boiler Operator was a very rewarding job, the daily challenge of being proactive and reactive to the different conditions that could happen with a BioFuel boiler was mentally and physically taxing. When I walked out at the end of the day, I walked out with my head held high, knowing that I had done my best.
My main reason for leaving was that I wanted to move back to California so that I could be closer to my family, they are all in the northern part of the state.
Stimson Is a Great Company
P.E.T Saw Operator (Former Employee) –  Forest Grove, ORJuly 24, 2014
They include their employees in the business and strive to make everyone feel involved in their future. They are large business, but not so large your voice isn't heard.
Nice place to work
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDJune 17, 2014
Great managers, interesting work, opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Leadership
Honest work.
Stacker Operator/Forklift (Former Employee) –  Coeur d alene IdahoMarch 12, 2014
A typical day would be 8 hours and learned a lot about running equipment. management was good and co workers were great people. the hardest part was the pay and the best was the industry itself and the employs.
Unsafe and management not supportive
Boiler Operator (Former Employee) –  Saint Maries, IDMarch 11, 2014
I moved my family to Saint Maries and was told what I wanted to hear. "great workplace with good safe culture and good pay" Pay was not good at all. I made more than most but still was not enough even to survive. Had all kinds of issues with Medical insurance, corporate was not helpful at all. Safety culture was the worst I have ever seen and Management did nothing about it. I wrote many work orders about machines missing guards, water that would poor into MCC breakers for so long it had rotten them away. I am very surprised that the plant has not been shut down by OSHA!! I would not wish anyone even my worst enemy to work here. I hope This helps people into deciding to stay away from STIMSON LUMBER. They are not good to there employees but many stay because they don't know anything else but Saint Maries.

Finally one statement that a boss told me that it cost nothing to change actions and there was no money to have safety equipment to prevent personnel and equipment from damage. He basically told me that it was worth the risk of my safety than it was to spend $45.
Pros
....???? I survived... Boiler Lead was huge support and great guy
Cons
Everything from Safety to bosses. and pay
great place to work without advancement
Sawmill/Log Yard Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Priest River, IDMay 12, 2013
Stimson was a good place to work. I wanted to be a Operations Manager but that was not available at Stimson. I went into supervision while at Stimson. The job was a lot of work but very rewarding. Typical day was the day to day running of the plant.
Pros
yearly bonus, good benifit package
Cons
no room for advancement at current location
Great Group of People to Work With
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 8, 2013
I really enjoyed working here. Just wish there would have been more respect for talents and skills.
Productive and fun fits me to a tee
Night Watchman (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTFebruary 15, 2013
Allways trys to have a good day at work and gets along with other allways going that extra length. Make every job i do safe and on time.
Fork Lift Driver (Former Employee) –  Forest Grove, ORSeptember 12, 2012
Productive, safe workplace with great people to work with. I learned a lot while working for Stimson Lumber. Management is great and takes care of their employees.
Pros
company cookouts and pizza days often!
Cons
cant think of any at the moment
working @ stimson lumber
Bin Sorter/Packaging/Clean (Former Employee) –  Tillamook, ORApril 2, 2012
Stimson was a nice place to work. great benefit package. management needs improvement.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stimson Lumber. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9