Stockton Unified School District

Stockton Unified School District Employee Reviews

In Stockton, working with tough parents is not always easy.
Substitute Teacher, Multiple Subjects (Current Employee), Stockton, CAMay 15, 2015
Pros: Nice people
Cons: Environment is not very protective there.
In Stockton, working with tough parents is not always easy, so it takes a strong personality. So, I just admire teachers who work very hard and maintain their composure. Children who are growing up always have their potential, so providing education to find their potential is appreciable thing to do.
productive place to work stress free
Custodian (Current Employee), Stockton, CAApril 15, 2015
Pros: N/A
Cons: N/A
I keep class rooms clean and make sure everything is in good condition. I do a variety of duties. In addition to keeping the inside of buildings clean and orderly, I work outdoors, mowing lawns, sweep walkways. I learned about the different chemicals and notice that each school I work at, has a different set of rules over all. The people I work with are very friendly and helpful. The most enjoyable part about working with SUSD is that I am allowed to be independent and hold myself accountable.
Largest local district, best compensation, inadequate administrative academic support
Educator/Teacher (Former Employee), Stockton, CAApril 12, 2015
Pros: Comparatively good compensation.
Cons: Long-time institutionalized culture of unethical administration, top-down authority is exploitive, ineffective, vertically directive, non-collaborative.
I enjoy teaching very much, it is my calling in life. I am particularly successful at it. A capable teacher may be frustrated here, as I was, because the administration policies fetter, not facilitate, the teaching process itself. District policy seems to be purposefully structured to this end: they apparently do not want educated students by very design. I retired early, leaving in disappointment, though I loved teaching and my students performed exceptionally well on their annual state tests compared to the district norms. Invariably one’s students advance academically, if at all, in spite of SUSD intrusive, dampening and demanding administrative policies that distract from teaching, not because of them. Moreover teacher evaluation is capricious, political, inconsistent and non-objective, thus meaningless. Inexplicably, I have received “commendable’ ratings on a very off day when I did not earn them and “needs improvement” when each student in an “opportunity” classroom of underachieving problem children was fully engaged and “got” a challenging newly introduced math concept: exceptional teaching. If the purpose of this district is to hire minions, keep them too busy bogged down in minutia to do their jobs or to recognize their hopeless plight, to turn out mediocre workers without academic skill to be unquestioning consumers rather than engaged self-enthused learners, SUSD succeeds spectacularly. That is about all that is accomplished here, however, year after year. The district is single-handedly responsible for creating the nationally infamous culture of Stockton, – more... California. Incisive depth of thinking, academic curiosity, effective capability of independent thinkers, healthy iconoclasm, is, in effect, or by orchestration, proactively discouraged here. Teachers are not asked to be teachers and “teach” a subject well so much as they are required to merely deliver canned, myopic curriculum verbatim, provided to them more as stultifying propaganda, paced and spoon-fed to the day and hour. I have formed the opinion that that the administrative culture of this district is likely intrinsically fundamentally unethical, corrupt. Throughout SUSD, students nor teachers are given adequate support in fostering academic curiosity nor tools for incisive critical thinking. There are, however, an overwhelming plethora of unneeded and unwelcome top down authoritative directives from patronizing administrators, themselves incapable as educators. Instead, collaboration and support are what is needed. Work here as a minion, trapped in mediocrity, in servitude, for the money, health insurance and retirement income, not for fulfillment as an able educator that facilitates capable thinking, awareness, wonder, joy and discovery in young minds. SUSD policies discourage such. Thankfully, I escaped. Most students cannot. Few teachers can. – less
Large School District
ACCOUNT ASSISTANT/SENIOR PERSONNEL TECHICIAN (Former Employee), Stockton, CAFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: free lunches, gym discounts
Cons: healthcare and the cost of living raises
Overall it is a nice place to work for. The majority of the school district students' are low-income families. Therefore, the school district offers many programs to help their students and community.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to be apart of their team by offering my skill set to make the school district a better place.
Challenging and rewarding, I get to help a lot of people achieve their daily tasks
Executive Assistant II (Former Employee), Stockton, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: flexiable lunch schedule, having a lunch hour, learning new tasks and information
Cons: sometimes working through your lunch hour
Working with Stockton Unified as an Executive Assistant changes everyday, from working with support staff and supporting parents, referring families to the proper resources to achieve educational goals. Preparing documents for approval, processing and seeing a document through for approval, identifying funding, board regualations, answer phones, training staff, working on projects. maintain files, retrieving information for Directors and other departments. Supporting schoold site principals and secretaries. everyday was a different challege and a different task. Achieving all tasks of the day and preparing for the next day is a must
enjoyable, good experience
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Stockton, caJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: good learning experience, being outdoors
Cons: the hours, stressful, too much drama between co-workers
I enjoyed the commercial learning experience, but my heart is with working with children in a classroom
bilingual assistant
Bilingual Assistant (Current Employee), Stockton, CAAugust 11, 2014
Pros: i teach them the alphabeth
Cons: teachers are rude
I love working with kids. However the teacher's think they know more than you
Environment Food Service, Physical demand
Food Service Assistant Manager II (Current Employee), Stockton, CAJuly 2, 2014
Pros: free lunches for all students
Cons: rush time to prepare lunches
Prepare hot and cold food items for elementary school students.
Prepare breakfast for students, and then get lunch ready for students
The hardest part of the job would be to try to manage the kid during lunches period.
classroom technology
computer network support tech (Current Employee), Stockton, CAJuly 1, 2014
Pros: learning about education in classrooms
Cons: too much unsupported technology
supported classroom technology. Added new(er) computers and supported networking.
The Educational Experience is a process that continues you to learn
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Every school in the DistrictMarch 26, 2014
SUSD is a very nice employer. The roughest part about being a substitute teacher with 42 children is keeping them on track to the material I received from a lesson plan that is usually written by their permanent Teacher.
Excellent
William Shook, Risk Manager (Current Employee), District OfficeMarch 23, 2014
Pros: working steady
Cons: when assignment ends
When working at Risk Management I am made to feel as if I were one of the regular employees, not the just a sub. filling in. That is why I sub for Risk Management whenever asked.I have increased knowledge in all of my computer skills and learned new programs like HREMAN. Management and my coworkers teach me new skills and give me responsibilities on a daily basis. A typical day at work starts at 8 am with general office duties and working in concert with management and coworkers. The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable part of the job finding things to keep myself busy and learning new things.
Changing workplace
Paraprofessional (Current Employee), Stockton, CAMarch 13, 2014
The workplace changes from day to day depending on classroom needs.
Poor District with Eaqually Poor Ideals
English Teacher (Former Employee), Stockton, CAMarch 2, 2014
Pros: it's a job.
Cons: management
If granted an opportunity to return to this district and receive a 15% pay increase, I would graciously decline. There are some excellent teachers in this district, but they are often treated as lower ability level, underachieving individuals. Morale is quite low.
Good for somthing temporary/flexible
Substitute Teacher K-8th grade (Current Employee), Stockton, CANovember 11, 2013
not stable, no benefits it is a good part-time or transitional job.
The district takes a very long time in hiring.
Teacher's Aide
Temporary position as a Teacher's Aide (Former Employee), Stockton, CAMay 6, 2013
A typical day at work was helping the teacher with the kids and clean up after them.
I learned how to to work with kids.
Co-workers where really nice.
The Hardest part about the job was nothing at all.
The most enjoyable part about the job was helping out the kids and the teachers.
The work place was great. Was able to encourage students each day.
Outreach Consultant (Former Employee), Stockton CaApril 11, 2013
Pros: prayer
Cons: better health care benifits
A typical day of work consist of greeting parents and students. Prayer each morning. Encouraging students to do a great job in class.
Great Place Great People
Campus Security Monitor (Current Employee), Stockton, CAJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: sometimes kids can be a handful
A typical day included starting off the morning with making sure the kids got to school safe through busy streets and crosswalks. Monitoring playgrounds and hallways, making sure guests had a visitors pass as well as keeping unwanted guests out. My main job was working with the principal and staff to ensure that all kids had a safe learning environment. I led a team of yard duties to help see that everything ran smoothly, Co-Workers were amazing and so were the principals I served under. Hardest part of the job would be that sometimes the day could drag. Most enjoyable part was I felt at times I made a difference in children's lives, beyond the greatest reward ever.
coaching
cheer coach (Former Employee), Stockton, CADecember 27, 2012
Pros: being a mentor
Cons: not alot of free time
volunteered as a coach to high school girls lots of fun loved seeing the girls advance
Teaching: Challenging Yet Rewarding
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Stockton, CADecember 26, 2012
Pros: occasional long term assignments, teaching varied lessons, creating lesson plans, flexible work schedule
Cons: no healtcare, paid vacation, or work during the summer months
A typical day at work usually begins with greeting my students at the door, introducing myself, taking the attendance, and advising my students of the classroom rules for the day. Over the past 5 years, I have learned that I enjoy teaching more than I thought I ever would. I have also learned that there are different learning styles, and it is is important to be able to teach to the various styles in order to make sure each student is able to "receive" the lesson in order to apply it to their assignments, tests, and their lives. Establishing classroom rules early on plays a huge part in being able to effectively manage a classroom, especially when teaching children. My co-workers often include teaching assistants (special ed), and sometimes the teachers themselves as I assist them in their classrooms. I enjoy working as assistant teacher and as the teacher of the day as each experience is an opportunity to learn and grow my own teaching skills. The hardest part of my job is working in schools where there is a lack of support system from the school's administration team. The most enjoyable parts of my job are when I work in long-term assignments where I am allowed to create and implement lesson plans, maintain consistency with classroom rules and management, issue grades, create and implement incentives such as student of the week/month, and seeing the "light bulb come on" when a student "gets it (in the lesson)."
Fun work place
Substitute (Former Employee), Stockton, CADecember 5, 2012
Learned how to process flowers. My co-workers were amazing.