Stockton Unified School District Employee Reviews

Loved it
Substitute clerk (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJune 22, 2017
So this job was my very first job in and out of high school. I loved it and the environment. I loved the fact that there was no overnight shifts or anything and we worked around the school hours, which was a plus. My position was only temporary due to the fact that the department only hired high school kids. Luckily i got to stay an extra 6 months after I graduated because I was going to college and i needed the extra money. Shortly after the head supervisor retired and I am not sure who is in charge now.
Hard working staff; management upheaval
Community Relations Officer (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAMay 31, 2017
SUSD can be a great place to work. However, as a public school system in an economically depressed inner city, it has its challenges. For example, many of its 35,000 students are poor, and there are numerous languages spoken in the homes. Despite dedicated staffers, most schools struggle to keep pace with increasingly demanding state and national learning expectations. Principals at the schools do a yeoman's job, and are the real heroes of the district. The district office works hard to keep the vast ship (55 schools, 4,000 employees) afloat, but a revolving door of top administrators seems to provide little in the way of organizational stability.
Pros
Student focused educators; school principals
Cons
Administrative instability
Lots of work, little pay with no advancement opportunities
Assistant Preschool Teacher (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAMay 6, 2017
There is always a lot of work to do, many of the assistants are doing the jobs of teachers, but are not compensated fairly. There is really no advancement opportunity if you do not have a teaching degree.
Pros
Steady work, great children
Cons
No training, no benefits, no advancement opportunities
Great Environment
Noon Duty Aide (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAApril 8, 2017
I enjoy working with the school district. I get to have the same days off as my children. When breaks come I can always pick up a temporary position with a temp agency if I want.
Pros
Days off with my kids
Cons
None to date
Positive employment experience
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAApril 8, 2017
What an amazing learning experience at my school! The principal is very student focused and supportive of teachers. Some parental involvement in a school that needs alot of involvement. Amazing group of kids that come to school in need of a teacher with patience and love. Lots of teachers that are in for the outcome of their students!
Productive and flexible hours
Preschool Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAMarch 30, 2017
I have great teaching skills for children from infant to toddlers. This is my career goal and I enjoy the enthusiastic from children when they learn new things everyday from their teachers.
On-Call Certified Substitute Teacher
Certified Substitute (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAMarch 25, 2017
Job allows flexibility of work schedule giving me the opportunity to set my own schedule or work days. However, this position does not afford me an opportunity to have benefits. I enjoy teaching children of all ages and levels math and science.
Pros
Teaching math and science to students from grades 3rd to 12th-fexible work schedule
Cons
No fringe benefits for temporary employees
Okay Job
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CADecember 5, 2016
This job was more of a babysitting job considering how poor the behavior the students are in the entire district. The pay was decent -- for a teacher -- but it was probably because of all the stress a teacher endured throughout the year because of the students.
Pros
Higher than average pay.
Cons
Hard to teach students; management not that great.
Relaxed atmosphere
Data Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 22, 2016
Working with SUSD was rewarding and an enjoyable experience.
Great staff, we worked hard and took care of business, but also had fun times.
We were professional at all times and our selves in our down times as well. I always felt relaxed and at home even though I was at work.
Rewarding to see the progress of your students.
TEACHER and ADVISORY BOARD CHAIRMAN (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CASeptember 3, 2016
Great job and profession. The pay is low and worksite security and morale is low. Expected to mentor students and participate in extracurricular activities and serve as advisors for student organizations-all without pay.
Pros
Safe school. The students and parents want to be there
Cons
Long days, Low pay, Lunch at 10:43 am
Special Education Assistant
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAJuly 20, 2016
Working with the students and staff with a goal of meeting the core curriculum each and every day. What I have learned is that each goal that has been set out to accomplish can always get revisited with the idea of executing the instructions differently so as the child could better understand what is expected of them; which in result the child will feel a since of accomplishment and success which will encourage great, appropriate behavior.
My Administrators have been great mentors to me. My luck with my co-workers have been amazing. The hardest part of my job is when I know that the student I am working with has the ability to do the work but does not apply themselves.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when my students understand the lessons that the teachers are teaching which in turn will help the students in some cases to transition out of the Special Ed classification and go into the general core classes.
Pros
The students to excel
Cons
Lack of support from Parents/ Guardians
opportunities for growth
Reading Intervention Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CA USAJuly 7, 2016
I was an educator in Stockton Unified School District for 31 years in a variety of positions. I was a teacher in several areas, a trainer, and a teacher leader. My last position was as a reading teacher for students who were 2 or more years below grade level, called a Reading Intervention teacher, 10 groups of students per day.
not enough hours
afternoon supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAMarch 21, 2016
standing around talking to students depends on my position at the time handling conflicts when they happen assisting students to nurses office.ive learned that being in my position you can still make a impact on a students life.management was great even when my head boss wasent there the assistant handled it well
my co worker were great always helpful
the hardest part was dealing with kindergardeners
the most enjoyable part was having talking to students and being able to help them make the right choices in life
Pros
abel to ware casual clothes
Cons
ten minute breaks, not enough hours, and paid monthly
See below for review
Full-Time and Substitute Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton CAFebruary 17, 2016
Our day started with hygiene, then breakfast. We spent the rest of the morning with a specific curriculum until lunch. After lunch we returned to complete our day of learning. Being a new teacher, there was a great deal to learn, especially from my students. The Principal was inclusive of my class, which had not been the case previously. Co-workers/assistants were sometimes a challenge, but overall very helpful to the students. it was difficult to see how some children were sent to school...hungry, no bath, tattered and torn clothing. It was amazing how happy they were when they succeeded in their studies.
I enjoyed the school I worked in, mostly. The teachers were supportive and wanted each other to be successful. Some grade levels were not as generous.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAJanuary 30, 2016
I have learned that SUSD tries to be an aggressive learning environment. A typical day at work was fast paced and full of activity. The administration kept pushing new projects at us that filled up our day of teaching with useful information like bully prevention, storiaschool.com online reading program, mobymax.com program to fill in gaps in learning, AR, ST math, compass learning, Executive Function Training, and others. These programs were very helpful but shortened our teaching time for core classes. I believe the programs to be useful and helpful even though there were many teachers who complained about the amount of time that was taken away from teaching time. My co-workers complained about the PLC meetings taking up time and not moving our PLC forward with goals and communication. However, my co-workers were also very supportive and helpful in any area that I had questions and concerns. The teachers throughout the school wanted the students to be successful and strove to keep the learning and rigor high. The hardest part of the job was keeping the parents and the students working together and at the same level through work and communication. The most enjoyable part of the job was a successful lesson with full class participation and understanding that ended in a well put out product.
Pros
Resource days for planning and preparing work with your team, Coaching staff that supported each project the administration expected us to utilize.
Cons
A very distracted Principal who treated people differently, not based on them being educators, but playing favorites.
Great place if you love working with children
Preschool Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAJanuary 3, 2016
I like working at Stockton Unified. Its all about the children in the families. If you love working with children this is a great place to work. The day consists of providing a safe and creative learning environment for the children. Management is great their there if you need them. I enjoy working for the company because I love teaching young children. I just wish we got paid every 2 weeks.
Pros
Part time, paid vacations, sick leave
Cons
Paid once a month; health care coverage, employee insurance
Good job with trustworthy people
Substitute office assistant and custodian (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAOctober 9, 2015
SUSD was a great place to work. There are many different departments and responsibilities to handle, depending on the job you have, but it's all worthwhile. I would recommend SUSD to anyone who is interested in working for an efficient school district with a long history and tradition.
Pros
Excellent benefits if one stayed one and became full time
Cons
Chance of being laid off a constant if you are a substitute
Fun work place
TEACHER ADIE (Former Employee) –  Stockton,CAOctober 8, 2015
It was good and bad day.
some good and bad co-workers
students
seeing kids faces that they enjoying fun

It was fun to work with kids
I had an award winning career.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CASeptember 16, 2015
I had a great experience working with diverse people. I am ready for a new challenge. I received numerous awards from San Joaquin County.
Pros
Wages Health benefits
Cons
Lack of communication
A very challenging school district to work in
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CASeptember 5, 2015
Get a call. Show up to class. Follow lesson plan. Leave a summary and turn in keys. The difficult part is some schools in Stockton are extremely challenging as far as classroom management goes.
Pros
Better pay than other districts.
Cons
Most schools are a challenge to work in

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stockton Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Stockton Unified School District Reviews by Location