Stockton Unified School District Employee Reviews in United States

opportunities for growth
Reading Intervention Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CA USAJuly 7, 2016
I was an educator in Stockton Unified School District for 31 years in a variety of positions. I was a teacher in several areas, a trainer, and a teacher leader. My last position was as a reading teacher for students who were 2 or more years below grade level, called a Reading Intervention teacher, 10 groups of students per day.
not enough hours
afternoon supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAMarch 21, 2016
standing around talking to students depends on my position at the time handling conflicts when they happen assisting students to nurses office.ive learned that being in my position you can still make a impact on a students life.management was great even when my head boss wasent there the assistant handled it well
my co worker were great always helpful
the hardest part was dealing with kindergardeners
the most enjoyable part was having talking to students and being able to help them make the right choices in life
Pros
abel to ware casual clothes
Cons
ten minute breaks, not enough hours, and paid monthly
See below for review
Full-Time and Substitute Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton CAFebruary 17, 2016
Our day started with hygiene, then breakfast. We spent the rest of the morning with a specific curriculum until lunch. After lunch we returned to complete our day of learning. Being a new teacher, there was a great deal to learn, especially from my students. The Principal was inclusive of my class, which had not been the case previously. Co-workers/assistants were sometimes a challenge, but overall very helpful to the students. it was difficult to see how some children were sent to school...hungry, no bath, tattered and torn clothing. It was amazing how happy they were when they succeeded in their studies.
I enjoyed the school I worked in, mostly. The teachers were supportive and wanted each other to be successful. Some grade levels were not as generous.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAJanuary 30, 2016
I have learned that SUSD tries to be an aggressive learning environment. A typical day at work was fast paced and full of activity. The administration kept pushing new projects at us that filled up our day of teaching with useful information like bully prevention, storiaschool.com online reading program, mobymax.com program to fill in gaps in learning, AR, ST math, compass learning, Executive Function Training, and others. These programs were very helpful but shortened our teaching time for core classes. I believe the programs to be useful and helpful even though there were many teachers who complained about the amount of time that was taken away from teaching time. My co-workers complained about the PLC meetings taking up time and not moving our PLC forward with goals and communication. However, my co-workers were also very supportive and helpful in any area that I had questions and concerns. The teachers throughout the school wanted the students to be successful and strove to keep the learning and rigor high. The hardest part of the job was keeping the parents and the students working together and at the same level through work and communication. The most enjoyable part of the job was a successful lesson with full class participation and understanding that ended in a well put out product.
Pros
Resource days for planning and preparing work with your team, Coaching staff that supported each project the administration expected us to utilize.
Cons
A very distracted Principal who treated people differently, not based on them being educators, but playing favorites.
Great place if you love working with children
Preschool Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAJanuary 3, 2016
I like working at Stockton Unified. Its all about the children in the families. If you love working with children this is a great place to work. The day consists of providing a safe and creative learning environment for the children. Management is great their there if you need them. I enjoy working for the company because I love teaching young children. I just wish we got paid every 2 weeks.
Pros
Part time, paid vacations, sick leave
Cons
Paid once a month; health care coverage, employee insurance
Good job with trustworthy people
Substitute office assistant and custodian (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAOctober 9, 2015
SUSD was a great place to work. There are many different departments and responsibilities to handle, depending on the job you have, but it's all worthwhile. I would recommend SUSD to anyone who is interested in working for an efficient school district with a long history and tradition.
Pros
Excellent benefits if one stayed one and became full time
Cons
Chance of being laid off a constant if you are a substitute
Fun work place
TEACHER ADIE (Former Employee) –  Stockton,CAOctober 8, 2015
It was good and bad day.
some good and bad co-workers
students
seeing kids faces that they enjoying fun

It was fun to work with kids
I had an award winning career.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CASeptember 16, 2015
I had a great experience working with diverse people. I am ready for a new challenge. I received numerous awards from San Joaquin County.
Pros
Wages Health benefits
Cons
Lack of communication
A very challenging school district to work in
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CASeptember 5, 2015
Get a call. Show up to class. Follow lesson plan. Leave a summary and turn in keys. The difficult part is some schools in Stockton are extremely challenging as far as classroom management goes.
Pros
Better pay than other districts.
Cons
Most schools are a challenge to work in
Productive and good place to work
SQL &SAP BOE SERVER DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAJune 21, 2015
typical day at work is busy and knowledge acquiring,good management,I enjoying team work and good communication in case of disaster recovery situation.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Challenging place to be.......
teacher; Department chairman of electives (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAMay 27, 2015
I learned to work cooperatively with my colleagues; to discipline; to appreciate what a complex, difficult task it is to teach in this school district. The hardest part of the job was to watch good programs disappear and needed classes such as Home Economics, Living Skills,Agriculture, Art, Music, Shop take a back seat. Students desperately need those skills, which also teach math, language arts, spelling, reading and all of the core subjects which lead to knowledge of work skills and how to get along with people. And that was the most enjoyable part of my job teaching Home Economics and History....relating the world surrounding the student so the could be a positive, responsible part of it.
Pros
Hours were similar to my own children; I was valued in what I taught; my benefits were good.
Cons
Little parent participation;ineffective discipline from administration.
It is the thrill of a lifetime to teach young people and be their mentor.
JROTC Teacher Edison High, Stockton, Ca (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAMay 25, 2015
I am a teacher that has been trained by the State of California to be credentialed to teach K-12 classes with a Single Subject Credential for JROTC & AVID classes.

I plan and create approved lesson plans and deliver through classroom instruction curriculum that is rubric based that produces problem solving students that can think on their own and develop leadership skills that will benefit them in later life.

This program will celebrate 100 years of producing excellent leaders and managers that exceed the status quo in the corporate and professional world.
Pros
Produce better citizens and make professional leaders for the future
Cons
Short lunches but have counseling periods breaks
In Stockton, working with tough parents is not always easy.
Substitute Teacher, Multiple Subjects (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAMay 15, 2015
In Stockton, working with tough parents is not always easy, so it takes a strong personality. So, I just admire teachers who work very hard and maintain their composure. Children who are growing up always have their potential, so providing education to find their potential is appreciable thing to do.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Environment is not very protective there.
productive place to work stress free
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAApril 15, 2015
I keep class rooms clean and make sure everything is in good condition. I do a variety of duties. In addition to keeping the inside of buildings clean and orderly, I work outdoors, mowing lawns, sweep walkways. I learned about the different chemicals and notice that each school I work at, has a different set of rules over all. The people I work with are very friendly and helpful. The most enjoyable part about working with SUSD is that I am allowed to be independent and hold myself accountable.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Largest local district, best compensation, inadequate administrative academic support
Educator/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAApril 12, 2015
I enjoy teaching very much, it is my calling in life. I am particularly successful at it. A capable teacher may be frustrated here, as I was, because the administration policies fetter, not facilitate, the teaching process itself. District policy seems to be purposefully structured to this end: they apparently do not want educated students by very design. I retired early, leaving in disappointment, though I loved teaching and my students performed exceptionally well on their annual state tests compared to the district norms. Invariably one’s students advance academically, if at all, in spite of SUSD intrusive, dampening and demanding administrative policies that distract from teaching, not because of them. Moreover teacher evaluation is capricious, political, inconsistent and non-objective, thus meaningless. Inexplicably, I have received “commendable’ ratings on a very off day when I did not earn them and “needs improvement” when each student in an “opportunity” classroom of underachieving problem children was fully engaged and “got” a challenging newly introduced math concept: exceptional teaching. If the purpose of this district is to hire minions, keep them too busy bogged down in minutia to do their jobs or to recognize their hopeless plight, to turn out mediocre workers without academic skill to be unquestioning consumers rather than engaged self-enthused learners, SUSD succeeds spectacularly. That is about all that is accomplished here, however, year after year. The district is single-handedly responsible for creating the nationally infamous culture of Stockton,  more... California. Incisive depth of thinking, academic curiosity, effective capability of independent thinkers, healthy iconoclasm, is, in effect, or by orchestration, proactively discouraged here. Teachers are not asked to be teachers and “teach” a subject well so much as they are required to merely deliver canned, myopic curriculum verbatim, provided to them more as stultifying propaganda, paced and spoon-fed to the day and hour. I have formed the opinion that that the administrative culture of this district is likely intrinsically fundamentally unethical, corrupt. Throughout SUSD, students nor teachers are given adequate support in fostering academic curiosity nor tools for incisive critical thinking. There are, however, an overwhelming plethora of unneeded and unwelcome top down authoritative directives from patronizing administrators, themselves incapable as educators. Instead, collaboration and support are what is needed. Work here as a minion, trapped in mediocrity, in servitude, for the money, health insurance and retirement income, not for fulfillment as an able educator that facilitates capable thinking, awareness, wonder, joy and discovery in young minds. SUSD policies discourage such. Thankfully, I escaped. Most students cannot. Few teachers can.  less
Pros
Comparatively good compensation.
Cons
Long-time institutionalized culture of unethical administration, top-down authority is exploitive, ineffective, vertically directive, non-collaborative.
Large School District
ACCOUNT ASSISTANT/SENIOR PERSONNEL TECHICIAN (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAFebruary 5, 2015
Overall it is a nice place to work for. The majority of the school district students' are low-income families. Therefore, the school district offers many programs to help their students and community.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to be apart of their team by offering my skill set to make the school district a better place.
Pros
free lunches, gym discounts
Cons
healthcare and the cost of living raises
Challenging and rewarding, I get to help a lot of people achieve their daily tasks
Executive Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Working with Stockton Unified as an Executive Assistant changes everyday, from working with support staff and supporting parents, referring families to the proper resources to achieve educational goals. Preparing documents for approval, processing and seeing a document through for approval, identifying funding, board regualations, answer phones, training staff, working on projects. maintain files, retrieving information for Directors and other departments. Supporting schoold site principals and secretaries. everyday was a different challege and a different task. Achieving all tasks of the day and preparing for the next day is a must
Pros
flexiable lunch schedule, having a lunch hour, learning new tasks and information
Cons
sometimes working through your lunch hour
enjoyable, good experience
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Stockton, caJanuary 7, 2015
I enjoyed the commercial learning experience, but my heart is with working with children in a classroom
Pros
good learning experience, being outdoors
Cons
the hours, stressful, too much drama between co-workers
bilingual assistant
Bilingual Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAAugust 11, 2014
I love working with kids. However the teacher's think they know more than you
Pros
i teach them the alphabeth
Cons
teachers are rude
Environment Food Service, Physical demand
Food Service Assistant Manager II (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAJuly 2, 2014
Prepare hot and cold food items for elementary school students.
Prepare breakfast for students, and then get lunch ready for students
The hardest part of the job would be to try to manage the kid during lunches period.
Pros
free lunches for all students
Cons
rush time to prepare lunches

Stockton Unified School District Reviews by Location