Stony Brook University Hospital Employee Reviews

Very busy medical office
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  SBHSeptember 8, 2016
Typical day: 8:30-4:30PM - constant interaction with patients and other callers throughout the day. Reformatting medical reports, entering info into EMR and IDX programs. Referral source.
What you learned: to have patience and give each caller a personal touch.
Management: have a superior supervisor. I also have supervised staff in my previous jobs.
Co-workers: get along very well with each other and work together as a team.
Hardest part of job: To try to accommodate patients requests.
Enjoyable: Work for wonderful team of doctors. No complaints.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Cons
no raises
Productive and stimulating working environment
RN-Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYDecember 9, 2016
A positive and stimulating working environment. Evidence Based Practice is important to the vision and mission of this institution to promote quality of care, patient safety. Great benefits.
Overloaded workplace with under staffing
TH Sterile Supply Technician (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 6, 2016
The Hospital Is a beautiful place to work but the overall work load is too much for staffing. Understaffed because the pay is not competitive enough to keep people and there is no room for negotiation.
Benefits
Cons
Workload, Parking and underpayment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  East Setauket, NYAugust 22, 2016
Working at Stony Brook University was a learning experience. I had learned how to answer phones and speak to the patient about their billing. I have also received a better understanding about health insurances. The hardest part of my job was having patients get nasty on the phones with me when I was trying to help them. The must enjoyable was being able to help some patient with their billings. What I learned from the management is known how to speak to the patients being that it was my first job working with customers service.
Pros
Being able to enter act will my fellow coworkers
Cons
Short breaks
Productive and high-paced atmosphere
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJanuary 7, 2017
Typical day: patient assignments and taking report, assessments and documentations, medication administration and medical procedures, monitoring patient status.
Pediatrics & Maternity Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYOctober 5, 2016
As a Stony Brook Student I have found their online RN to BSN program to be a wonderful option for myself. I am able to work full time and balance my school work. I find I am able to balance everything I need to with this program and I am extremely happy I made this choice in furthering my education.
This job gave me an oppurtunity to get my feel wet In the feel and I appreciated the knowledge I recieved
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 28, 2015
My typical day at work consisted of coming in at 11pm. we had 30 patients on the floor that needed two sets of vitals Q4. my shift also included cleaning and bathing the patients and making sure their needs were met. cross training was a huge advantage while I was there. I'm trained in crisis prevention, cpr certified, and my people skills have sky rocketed. Learning a lot from the nurses about medications, side affects, and benefit was another thing I enjoyed about the enviorment. The hardest part of the job had to be seeing the patients suffer after a transplant, dialysis etc. I mostly enjoyed the impact that I made on the patients stay. making them smile and seeing that I affected their lives in positive way.
Pros
The food they provided was good, and the health benefits and pension plan was also amazing.
Cons
Short staffed most of the time.
Its okay
Hospital patient service clerk/Financial counselor (Current Employee) –  Ronkonkoma, NYJune 29, 2016
Stony Brook is a good enviornment. the hours are good. management is not that great. dont understand what the core of the facility does to help stony brook great.
Pros
hours are great weekends off
Cons
management is not good
Be a part of something great!
Clerical Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYFebruary 24, 2014
I enjoyed every bit of working at the fast paced environment of Stony Brook. I would encourage those who are seeking employment with them to go for it! The benefits are great and they offer good opportunities to those that seek them. Every job has it's pro's and con's from co-workers and management to the work load you may have, but when we grow to learn most of us work to survive in todays economy not because we love to get up at the crack of dawn every day and spend more time with strangers then our own families we will get through. Stony Brook has so much to offer and if I could move back to NY to work their again I would!!!
educational
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  19s oncologySeptember 30, 2015
SBUH was a very educational experience. A great teaching hospital with a lot of opportunity for growth. Because the hospital is so large management for the most part was very impersonal.
Benefits
Cons
workin the extra shift within the 2 week pay period
very busy , productive workplace,understaffed
Clerk 1 (Former Employee) –  Dept of OphthalmologyFebruary 13, 2012
I was with Stony brook Ophthalmology for 6 yrs. They are now going to emr, which made my job null and void, so I wasv actually fazed out. That was not a good experience, but I would be open to working in another dept in the future.All and all, I'd say the experience was a good one and my employees were fair. Coworkers were all good people to work with.
Pros
great benefits, 3% salary raise every year
Cons
no room for growth, couldn't move up to bigger or better things
Great Place to Work
Staff (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYFebruary 27, 2014
Working at Stony Brook University Hospital is challenging, exciting and certainly worthwhile. I have yet to have an ill-experience with those I work. My colleagues are fantastic. Growth and learning is encouraged and supported. The hardest thing is just having enough time in the day.
Pros
Great Benefits, Great People, Challenging Work, Job Security
Cons
Changing Healthcare Industry, Advancement in difficult economy and job market
Productive environment with room for growth and opportunity
Clinical Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYAugust 23, 2013
Fast Paced working atmosphere with energetic and caring employees. Compassion leads the way in the day to day challenge to help patients in the healing process. In this position I have gained humility and I have certainly humbled myself. Respectable emplyee that works hard and adapts well.Responds to crisis or emergency situations in a quick yet organized manner.
Pros
Health Benefits, Union Benefits
Ok job great benefits
Teaching and Research Nurse (Former Employee) –  101 nichols road Stony brookJune 19, 2015
Great job
Great benefits

Job was stressful at times, when management was lacking staff

Great teaching and learning hospital
quiet work place.
Clerk 2 (Current Employee) –  Stonybrook, NYMarch 12, 2013
Very quiet. older people. very friendly co workers. Work days are flexible,. We are not open on weekends and holidays. Excellent benefits. Dental plans and vision are amazing.
Pros
understanding friendly co workers, medical and dental and vision plans
Cons
too quiet and too much gossip, salery not the greatest
Great people and good work enviroment
Stock Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 22, 2013
The people are great and very helpful that work with you. It gives you alot of oppurtunitys to move around to different positions and they work with you on you schedule to help it fit your life.
Pros
great benefits and good food
increased responsibility, good work environment
long term temp (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJanuary 27, 2016
Friendly work environment,, was on phone or computer all day, taught me about patience and the insurance industry. My supervisors were always available for help and advice. The hardest part was trying to get information from insurance companies, specifically getting through and speaking to an actual person. I enjoyed the people and finishing a claim to conclusion and getting a payment.
Pros
good environent, opportunity to learn, easy commute
Cons
being a temp, work sometimes monotonous
Productive and challenging learning environment
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 29, 2014
Challenging productive work environment, great benefits and room for growth
Pros
great benefits
Cons
pay scale on low end
OK enviornment to work
Teaching Hospital Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 16, 2013
Busy pharmacy , friendly co-workers, good learning exp. for all aspects of pharmacy ie chemo,tpn,iv,cpoe.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
no shortage of work
Great place to interact with other people
Advanced Word Processor (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 9, 2016
I enjoy working here it help me build my customer service. I enjoy helping others (patience) solving their problems, or trying my best to do so.
Pros
Customer service
Cons
No health insurance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stony Brook University Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3