Stony Brook University Hospital Employee Reviews

This job gave me an oppurtunity to get my feel wet In the feel and I appreciated the knowledge I recieved
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYJune 28, 2015
Pros: The food they provided was good, and the health benefits and pension plan was also amazing.
Cons: Short staffed most of the time.
My typical day at work consisted of coming in at 11pm. we had 30 patients on the floor that needed two sets of vitals Q4. my shift also included cleaning and bathing the patients and making sure their needs were met. cross training was a huge advantage while I was there. I'm trained in crisis prevention, cpr certified, and my people skills have sky rocketed. Learning a lot from the nurses about medications, side affects, and benefit was another thing I enjoyed about the enviorment. The hardest part of the job had to be seeing the patients suffer after a transplant, dialysis etc. I mostly enjoyed the impact that I made on the patients stay. making them smile and seeing that I affected their lives in positive way.
Ok job great benefits
Teaching and Research Nurse (Former Employee), 101 nichols road Stony brookJune 19, 2015
Great job
Great benefits

Job was stressful at times, when management was lacking staff

Great teaching and learning hospital
Great Place to Work!
Certified Nurses Assistant (CNA) (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYMarch 20, 2015
If you love to learn, Stony Brook was a great place to work! Because it is a teaching hospital, I would always watch the nurses and they would always be willing to teach me things I did not learn in Nursing Assistant school.
The management works well with their employees, and always does their best to reward you based on your excellence.
working under EH&S
internship under Environmental Health and Safety (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYMarch 12, 2015
Pros: be able to learn a lot of knowledge that are exciting.
Cons: sometimes back pains a bit
I am be able to interpret more about how different types of wastes have been disposed, such as radioactive waste, biomedical waste and chemotherapy waste. In addition, detecting contamination of a room that has been exposed to radioactive material like I-131 using Geiger counter. furthermore, use radiation survey meter to detect how many radiation in Ci a patient has after taking radioactive capsule like Iodine within different time lapses and distances. I stayed with my mentor almost for all day long to learn and discuss radiology technology and the personal protection equipment. When we are doing the actual part of the jobs like going to radiology oncology to detect the contamination and checking the lead apron, all those moments are enjoyable.
Lack of teamanship
Admitting/ED Registrar (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYFebruary 19, 2015
Not knowing what assignment is until you walk in. Lack of teamanship, poor work ethics, lack of inatiative, ignoring workers who work harder and smarter, lack of innovation.
I work as a PCT with all the pediactric specialist
Pediatric Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), East Setauket NYDecember 10, 2014
Pros: the medical experience that i achieved for free . i loved it!
Cons: pts and would die
I did pulmonary function test when working with the Allergist and pulmonologist and cystic fibrosis clinic doctors.I also work with the cardiologist and did EKG and when i worked with nephrologist i did all the urine testing.I work at the CODY CENTER with ADHD and Autistic children .When i worked with endocrinologist i would do all the diabetic testing and measurements for children that had development issues . I also worked with all the general pediatric doctors. I also assisted the gastroenterologist doctors with there procedures.I work also with the genetic doctor also. I loved my job and especially the patients. I find that when you are in pediatrics you don't just treat the patient but you also have to treat the parent.
Senior Design Project
Senior Design Project (Former Employee), Stony Brook NYOctober 24, 2014
Pros: like a startup, learned a lot
Cons: a little chaotic at times
I worked as project manager. The first semester was spent talking to and designing 5 projects that were completed in the second semester. I personally oversaw the wireless ECG project in the second semester.
calm enviorment
Ranstad temp (Former Employee), tech drive stony brookOctober 10, 2014
The group of people that I worked with were like family. I wish it would have lasted longer. The job had a nice challenge.
would like to be more involved with patients
Registrar (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYJuly 12, 2014
good job, a lot to learn. The pay is very low going through a temp agency.
Prefered retail pharmacy and retail hours
Pharmacist (Former Employee), Stiny Brook, NYJune 3, 2014
I enoyed retail pharmacy and envionment better. Filled prescriptions but I missed speaking with the public.
Great place to gain volunteer experience
Volunteer, Pediatric Unit (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYMay 23, 2014
- Best volunteer experience ever
- Nice environment to support and care for patients and families
productive university
advanced Administrative secretary II (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYMay 16, 2014
interactive classroom settings
professional teaching experience
Nice work environment
Volunteer (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYApril 21, 2014
It was a good experience to work there. The people there are really nice. The work environment is professional.
Fast paced and productive
Student Radiographer (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYApril 15, 2014
For a very large university hospital, SBUH is run very efficiently. Since it is a Trauma 1 institution, a typical day at work is usually very busy and requires undivided attention to small detail to ensure that everything works smoothly. On the plus side, this make a regular shift seem to go by very quickly. My coworkers carry unique and humorous personalities, which creates an enjoyable work atmosphere.
Productive and challenging learning environment
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYMarch 29, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: pay scale on low end
Challenging productive work environment, great benefits and room for growth
great place to work
Security Guard Officer (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYMarch 28, 2014
Pros: great place to work
I would report to office get my police radio and report to my post.
Great Place to Work
Staff (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: great benefits, great people, challenging work, job security
Cons: changing healthcare industry, advancement in difficult economy and job market
Working at Stony Brook University Hospital is challenging, exciting and certainly worthwhile. I have yet to have an ill-experience with those I work. My colleagues are fantastic. Growth and learning is encouraged and supported. The hardest thing is just having enough time in the day.
Be a part of something great!
Clerical Specialist I (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYFebruary 24, 2014
I enjoyed every bit of working at the fast paced environment of Stony Brook. I would encourage those who are seeking employment with them to go for it! The benefits are great and they offer good opportunities to those that seek them. Every job has it's pro's and con's from co-workers and management to the work load you may have, but when we grow to learn most of us work to survive in todays economy not because we love to get up at the crack of dawn every day and spend more time with strangers then our own families we will get through. Stony Brook has so much to offer and if I could move back to NY to work their again I would!!!
TH Medical Radiographer/CT Technician (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYFebruary 19, 2014
• Utilized and mastered radiology/hospital information systems including RIS, PACS, DICOM and IDX
• Served a diverse caseload at a Level 1 Trauma Hospital in all departments
• Mastered CT scan and 3-D reconstruction imaging
• Performed Quality Control Tests on equipment
Great place!
Mental Health Therapy Aide (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 27, 2014
Great place to learn and gain experience as a new nurse, or just to learn more about the medical field.