Stony Brook University

Stony Brook University Employer Reviews

Professor's were awesome
Health science track leader/student liaison (Current Employee), stony brook nyJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: respectful environment
Cons: professors were quite busy
I was a student liaison for my classmates and our professors. I met with professors on behalf of 70 students and addressed the needs and concerns of my constituents. The professors were awesome to work with and we got a lot done, to make for a successful semester.
Educational and skill building experience in the lab.
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: independent and educational experience
Cons: little variability in lab work from day to day
I volunteered for a graduate student in the lab for one semester at the university. I used a compound light microscope to count and collect data for later analysis .There was only one other volunteer in the data collection of this experiment so we worked by ourselves for the most part. The best part about this experience was that I was very independent, in that I made up my hours when it was convenient for me. It was a educational experience as well because I learned how to use equipment and computer applications I never had before. The only downside was that the actual job was a little monotonous, and there was no variability from day to day. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience, and I felt I was part of an important endeavor and it made me feel good to help.
Very diverse staff, in this office everyone communicated efficiently and respectfully with one another.
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYJanuary 9, 2015
It was a great job to have during my senior year at Stonybrook University. My supervisor was very helpful as well as the office team, who was a pleasure to work with.
Helping and learning at the same time
Teacher Assistant (TA) (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYDecember 2, 2014
It was great honor to work with Professor. Nugent.
He is one of the best professor I know in Stony Brook University.
He is really good at teaching finance. Also, explaining concepts to students were a good chance to improve my skill.
Excellent research university
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYNovember 24, 2014
Stony Brook University promotes state of the art research opportunities to students under the guidance of world renowned professors. Its diverse and inter-discipline research helps student to work on real world problems.
its good working enviornment
Teaching and research Care Nurse-2 (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 17, 2014
i am working there for 6 yrs.i liked it and engoy my working enviornment.
an invaluable journy
Research assistant (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYSeptember 15, 2014
The PhD program at Stony Brook University (SBU) is well balanced between study and research. I can attend useful courses / trainings to help me solving the problems or questions in my research. In addition to professional knowledge and skills, I also improved my ability on other aspects such as self-learning and problem-solving. The working environment at SBU has always been motivated and collaborative. One of the most enjoyable part in my whole PhD is that I can work on very diverse interesting project by establishing collaborations with scientists from other school and institutes.
Great Place for Students
Research Assistant within Psychiatry Department (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYSeptember 8, 2014
The University really caters to its student employees so that they can pay their way through school. Not a lot of room for advancement, but good for the interim.
Productive place full of research oriented work
Student (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYSeptember 4, 2014
Stony Brook offers a lot of research options ranging from Systems area to Application level.
An excellent perfect place of employment
Associate Director for Risk Management, Camp. Res. (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYAugust 18, 2014
Pros: working with the students population
I had the opportunity to work and interact with some of the most amazing group of people at Stony Brook University.
Pleasant Pedagogical and Training Evironment
Employment Specialist (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYJuly 28, 2014
Pros: true to community development mission
Cons: contracted employment
My role involved establishing relationships with community stakeholders to enhance the training and employment opportunities for the continuing education and higher education students at York College.
SUNY U At Buffalo Athletics (NOT STONY BROOK)
Athletic Coordinator(Assistant Supervisor) (Former Employee), Amherst, NYJuly 26, 2014
Maintaining athletic facilities, setting up sporting/entertainment events; serving as security and staff for events
A positive contribution to the school
Stony Brook University Chinese Internship (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYJune 18, 2014
Successfully tutored students to increase language skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing)
Planned study schedules that significantly increased students’ scores on exams
Organized textbooks and novels using Dewey Decimal System
Answered questions and helped students find reference material
Responsible for opening and closing the Chinese library
This was a great place to work
Campus Dining Marketing Intern (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYJune 12, 2014
I feel that working at Stony Brook University while simultaneously attending the institution has allowed me to become the hardworking and concentrated person that I am today. I was lucky to work with a very diverse community, teaching me many things about different culture, which made this job amazingly enjoyable.
Working at Stony Brook
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYJune 3, 2014
Great place to work. Beautiful, green and smoke free campus. The faculty and students are easy going and willing to collaborate on projects.
Blended Program
Nurse Practitioner Student (Former Employee), New YorkMay 29, 2014
You need a a lot of discipline to go through the program and finding your own preceptors can be very difficult so start early.
Productive and fun environment that was very accommodating to students
Caller (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYMay 28, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: unpleasant prospects, stressful rejections
A typical shift is 3 hours a night from 6pm to 9pm. Shifts take place sunday through friday, and each caller is required to take on at least three shifts. You develop strong communication skills through this job and it provides beneficial insight to future careers and the university itself. Management is professional yet relaxed, allowing callers a lot of freedom while still maintaining the company standard. In terms of co-workers, it becomes a very close knit environment since all the callers are in the a very small vicinity helping each other. The hardest part of the job is obviously calling a pitching the fund to prospective donors, but even this becomes second nature after a few months of working there. The most enjoyable part of the job is most definitely the people you work with, we definitely keep each other entertained and maintain a great work environment.
Research Lab
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYMay 19, 2014
Computational lab in mechanics. Working on Finite Element modeling and analytical analysis on solid mechanics.
Productive Environment
Intern for Marine Department (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYMay 9, 2014
Pros: building friendships
Cons: no job security after graduation
Intern at Stony Brook University. I worked on my own. i inspected laboratories, classrooms, and chemicals making sure they are properly stored. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning as must as i can take in.
Terminated without cause
Manager of Intramural and Club Sports (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYMay 9, 2014
Unions usually protect you. There is a clause in your contract saying that the University can terminate your position and buy out your contract without needing to provide an explanation.

1 2 3 4

About Stony Brook University

From its beginnings a half-century ago, Stony Brook University has been characterized by innovation, energy and progress, transforming – Read more