Stony Brook University Employee Reviews in United States

Fun place to do research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 13, 2016
Good labs and other infrastructure
Compensation can be improved
Definitive target based work
Helpful staff, advisor and other co workers
The most enjoyable part of the job
Senior Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2015
Working in higher education enables me to be constantly be learning new information. I enjoy being part of a very diverse community.
Pros
Being part of the Stony Brook Community, state pension system
Cons
Difficult to increase salary
Very productive and influential sports atmosphere
Sports Marketing Internship (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJanuary 7, 2016
I was responsible for the management and supervision of the Fitness Attendants. I also Assisted with scheduling, paperwork, time sheets and payroll. I Used Software like Innosoft Fusion, Google Docs and IMLeagues. I helped assist in all fitness and wellness operations. I also helped then management of ACISF (American Collegiate Intramural Sports Fitness) Program.
Very productive and professional
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 24, 2016
Most of my work was to help professors to ease for the teaching. I learned how to teach for the mixed student(national and international). I managed work very carefully and satisfactorily considering right time schedule. Most of my co-worker was similar graduate students. Hardest part of this was to teach various kinds of students. Enjoyable part of job was getting broad sense of view in teaching and learning.
Productive and informative
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 17, 2016
I would read and critically analysis lengthy and often times complex journal articles and write review papers based upon them. I also learned how to properly treat patients in clinical experiments. I learned proper communicative skills, where I was able to deal with difficult patients and create a positive and peaceful work environment.
Pros
lengthy breaks, lunch
Cons
N/A
Good university for research
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYFebruary 29, 2016
Excellent research facilities and smart professors/colleagues. Almost every state of the art instrument/equipment is available between Stony Brook University, Stony Brook Life Sciences and Brookhaven National Lab. Overall experience varies depending on the specific Department you are working in. Some are well organized and easy to deal with while others are completely dysfunctional.
Highly productive team setting and great supervisors
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 9, 2016
Much of the work has to do with customer service which is the hardest part of the job, but it is also the most enjoyable part of the job. Also, the coworkers are all dependable and motivated to help one another out.
Excellent companies to work with
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Joyce, MDMay 27, 2016
I gained my skills and experiences from the above companies. I have enjoyed working there and learned a lot. I like the companies mission and vision statements. I enjoyed working with diverse population.
A Good experince to learn my career field in interested in
Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYFebruary 22, 2016
Work under the Football Strength and conditioning Coach to understand and learn the job life of being a Collegiate Coach and gain experience.
Wonderful learning experience
Student (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 23, 2016
Friendly environment, very professional, dedicated team members and staff. Learned latest trends in healthcare and dentistry using state of the art technology
Sales and Marketing Representative (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 5, 2016
Great people, positive environment, staff is very professional, exciting, and overall a pleasant experience as a new employee at Stony Brook
Good university for computer science
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 3, 2016
This is a very good University for computer science. All the profs for CS department are good. Very less VLSI and embedded system course.
It was a physics graduate program; one works hard and learns.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 19, 2013
It was a graduate school position, so the pay was kept low and the hours were long. However, I learned a lot about physics and IT and I got the opportunity to live in Europe for 4.5 years while working on the ATLAS Detector of the Large Hadron Collider.
Management was pretty light-handed, since they were physics professors and fellow academics.
My co-workers were fellow students, which results in changes all the time.

Note that the base salary for a graduate student is only ~$20,000. I received extra compensation due to my posting in Europe and the resulting cost of living increase.
Pros
i was paid to do my thesis research
Cons
long hours, low pay
Amazing place to get a PHD
research assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYDecember 20, 2015
Life is very good here. Ten minutes drive to beach, one hour driving to queens. The ECE department is small, but it has most of the directions. Every time when I have problems, I can find the right person to ask.
Diverse Staff
CLINICAL ADJUNCT PROFESSOR (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 2, 2016
An excellent institution with a diverse staff, faculty and student body. The academic atmosphere is rigorous, professional and fast paced.
great research institution
Project Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYFebruary 1, 2016
Stony Brook University is a top notch research university in the world. It has the state-of the-art facilities and faculties to provide leading education and research experience.
Easy work with little stress
Athletic Event Intern (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYDecember 19, 2015
Easy, manageable work responsibilities for a college student looking for extra income during the school year. Set up athletic events and monitored venue environment.
Great enviroment
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  StonyBrook, NYFebruary 9, 2015
Stonybrook was a great experience learning how to teach and care for Pre-K. The most enjoyable part was seeing the kids smile and tell their bizzare stories. The hardest part of my job was saying good bye.
Pros
being able to experience
Cons
the pay and no benefits
It's a good university, but research environment is not very friendly
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYOctober 1, 2015
As a state university, Stony Brook doesn't have so much fundings, so some the instruments are kind of out of date, sometimes you really need to figure out how to do the research with very limited tools. I also feel like the education environment doesn't support students enough.
great
Graduate Assistant in the Office of Registrar (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYNovember 7, 2015
great environment, great people. Really like there!!! The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them

4.4