Stony Brook University Employee Reviews

Researcher (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 18, 2017
The institution provides great benefits. Work culture is highly collaborative, and there are opportunities for upward mobility. Also, the university hospital provides the opportunity to work with physicians on potential clinical studies.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Requires car for transportation
A changing environment
Sr. Administrative Assistant - Assistant to Chair (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 12, 2017
Stony Brook is not the same as when I first started. Their benefits package is different for new employees. It's an academic institution, so there is plenty of life and goal orientated people around you. No matter what you apply for you will get plenty of experience. For me, a typical day was 7.5 hours with a 1 hour lunch break.
Cons
Everyone pays for parking
excellent place to work
Clinical Assistant Professor- Adjunct (Former Employee) –  SBUJuly 3, 2017
Love the culture of SBU. Everyone was very welcoming, friendly and willing to give a helping hand. I loved the team dynamic and how culturally competent most people are.
Worst Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Southampton, NYJune 22, 2017
I was an extremely young intern in High School but I was not respected by anyone even though I did a lot of their work. I would not recommend working here
Great
Special Assistant to Director of Athletics (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 19, 2017
Stony Brook University Athletics Department is a great place to work with a winning mentality and staff members all have the same vision of success for the program.
Stonybrook campus is awesome. Culinart sucks
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 18, 2017
New company (culinart)got contract and do not pay good now old company (sodexo) was awesome I'm actually seeking work with Sodexo again. Great company if your in management or higher!!
Pros
Summer holidays off
Cons
Long days
Stony Brook Bioengineering labs are a fun and fast-paced place to work.
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bioengineering LabsJune 7, 2017
The Bioengineering labs provide an environment where students can learn useful skills using state of the art equipment and technology. It provides a great foundation for future employment in the fields of research or industry.
Great work environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 29, 2017
This job was held in an administrative office setting where I provided undergraduates and facility members with any information needed. I also aided professor with technical issues including computers, monitors or projectors
Fun, interactive place, great people
System Staff (Former Employee) –  Computer ScienceMay 23, 2017
I learned a lot while working here. The people here are very friendly and there is always something to do. The work/life balance is superb and I got to know really great people.
Good opportunity for students
Student Researcher, Bioengineering Lab (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYMay 23, 2017
Great place to gain knowledge and experience for students while at college. You will learn to deal with various types of people and build your people skills.
Pros
Free food. Good pay.
Cons
Hard labor
Stony Brook University Campus Residencies
Assistant Planning Manager (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 19, 2017
I love where I work. I am a full time student and work in between and after classes. My boss is very flexible in terms of hours and always challenges me with new, challenging, and enjoyable tasks.
Pros
Flexible hours
Productive and fun
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 18, 2017
Working in the lab was productive and fun. Managing and discussing new techniques for projects, journal clubs and assisting undergraduate students on a daily basis.
Great benefits
Assistant Dean for Business Affairs (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 15, 2017
SBU has great benefits and room for advancement but the workplace culture is cut throat and stressful if you are a person who likes to make improvements and are a forward thinker.
Benefits
Student Project Coordinator
Student Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 14, 2017
There were 2 four hour shifts. Very flexible schedule for students however the manager always preferred if you had a bulk of a time slot. Got compensated fairly. Not much motion but good enough to keep you busy.
Productive but stressful
Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 13, 2017
My typical day involved working in geochemistry laboratory and carry out experiments and manage lab work. Coordinate with other departments and work on data exchange. Help other students in their project. Attend meetings and conferences.
Pros
highly research oriented envionment
Cons
less helpful environment and no dental insurance
Seawolves MarketPlace
Training Manager at Seawolves MarketPlace (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 8, 2017
Managers really care about wellbeing and student live balance. Great opportunity for promotion. Salary begins minimum wage with yearly raises. Pay could be better
Productive Place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 3, 2017
Stony Brook University is ahead its peers. Top research university with great things underway. Smart students, talented faculty, impressive leaders. Great place to be.
Friendly Environment and competitive learning
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 28, 2017
I worked as a Tutor in CEAS (College of Engineering and Science) Office. I taught different subject including statics, dynamics, thermodynamics, numerical method and Heat transfer. I loved this working environment because teaching not only help other people but also enhance my knowledge of the study. I often got challenging question and I need to show them my way of approaching the question and seek for solution. I improved my speaking skill and developed patience from this job.
hostile work environment
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 22, 2017
Not a very nice place to work. Have a lot of lawsuits against them from former employees who were either fired or forced out in a very underhanded way
Pros
going home at the end of the day
Cons
hostile, cut throat, out to get your license
Comfortable and productive Workplace
Project Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 6, 2017
Most days at work, I would spend my time assisting the Project Managers in updating and regulating the public website detailing all of the current and upcoming projects. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about the projects and how the managers went about and organized people and resources to complete them.