Stony Brook University Employee Reviews in United States

Tier One Mathematics University
Committee Chair (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 12, 2016
A typical day consisted of research and teaching. I learned a significant amount of mathematical maturity. The staff had an abel prize winner, John Milnor, and another noted mathematician Jim Simons. My co-workers were a pleasure to interact with and I learned a significant amount from them. My PhD advisor was very helpful in working with me and in attaining the PhD. The most difficult part of the job was teaching students that did not the high school back ground needed for learning college mathematics. The most enjoyable was teaching students that were capable and interested in learning mathics.
Pros
Liberal work hours.
Cons
The long hours it took to compete.
Very productive and professional
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 24, 2016
Most of my work was to help professors to ease for the teaching. I learned how to teach for the mixed student(national and international). I managed work very carefully and satisfactorily considering right time schedule. Most of my co-worker was similar graduate students. Hardest part of this was to teach various kinds of students. Enjoyable part of job was getting broad sense of view in teaching and learning.
Productive and informative
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 17, 2016
I would read and critically analysis lengthy and often times complex journal articles and write review papers based upon them. I also learned how to properly treat patients in clinical experiments. I learned proper communicative skills, where I was able to deal with difficult patients and create a positive and peaceful work environment.
Pros
lengthy breaks, lunch
Cons
N/A
Dynamic research environment offering great connection and collaboration
Senior Postdoc/Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 4, 2016
SBU is one of the top biological research institutions in the country. I am blessed to be among so many friendly, ingenious, and devoted minds.
Pros
Upbeat research and great collaboration
Cons
location is a little isolated from other institutions
Good university for research
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYFebruary 29, 2016
Excellent research facilities and smart professors/colleagues. Almost every state of the art instrument/equipment is available between Stony Brook University, Stony Brook Life Sciences and Brookhaven National Lab. Overall experience varies depending on the specific Department you are working in. Some are well organized and easy to deal with while others are completely dysfunctional.
Typical 9-5 desk job
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  research and support services buildingJune 27, 2016
The location and placement is comfortable, I get my own desk and computer. Hours are flexible to accommodate my hectic academic schedule. Pay is fair for a student assistant working part-time. Supervisors and managers are very helpful in answering any questions.
Great environment for students, professionals and families
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 13, 2016
SBU is a great univeresity, an excellent environment for learning. People you meet are willing to help you adjust fast. Great place to attend school and to do scientific research and with a great hospital.
Highly productive team setting and great supervisors
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 9, 2016
Much of the work has to do with customer service which is the hardest part of the job, but it is also the most enjoyable part of the job. Also, the coworkers are all dependable and motivated to help one another out.
Excellent companies to work with
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Joyce, MDMay 27, 2016
I gained my skills and experiences from the above companies. I have enjoyed working there and learned a lot. I like the companies mission and vision statements. I enjoyed working with diverse population.
Very productive and influential sports atmosphere
Sports Marketing Internship (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJanuary 7, 2016
I was responsible for the management and supervision of the Fitness Attendants. I also Assisted with scheduling, paperwork, time sheets and payroll. I Used Software like Innosoft Fusion, Google Docs and IMLeagues. I helped assist in all fitness and wellness operations. I also helped then management of ACISF (American Collegiate Intramural Sports Fitness) Program.
Student Trainee
FOBIP Participant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2016
It was a pleasure being part of Stony Brook. I finished my certification course in Fundamentals of Bioscience industry program. It is definitely a gateway to getting into industry. Very resourceful and useful program.
Great university
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 22, 2016
Excellent research university. Great environment, people are very friendly and helpful. You will love the education and social life. School is mostly science and other fields.
Wonderful learning experience
Student (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 23, 2016
Friendly environment, very professional, dedicated team members and staff. Learned latest trends in healthcare and dentistry using state of the art technology
Fun work environment
Emergency Medical Technican Intern (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 2, 2016
Wonderful staff that made sure interns were active in learning via hands on with patients and staff in the facility. very clean environment.
Beautiful campus, wonderful department.
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 5, 2016
Lecturing at Stony Brook was a flexible, rewarding job. The culture and coworkers were pleasant, and the work itself was more than worthwhile.
A Good experince to learn my career field in interested in
Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYFebruary 22, 2016
Work under the Football Strength and conditioning Coach to understand and learn the job life of being a Collegiate Coach and gain experience.
Sales and Marketing Representative (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 5, 2016
Great people, positive environment, staff is very professional, exciting, and overall a pleasant experience as a new employee at Stony Brook
Good university for computer science
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 3, 2016
This is a very good University for computer science. All the profs for CS department are good. Very less VLSI and embedded system course.
great research institution
Project Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYFebruary 1, 2016
Stony Brook University is a top notch research university in the world. It has the state-of the-art facilities and faculties to provide leading education and research experience.
Fun place to do research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 13, 2016
Good labs and other infrastructure
Compensation can be improved
Definitive target based work
Helpful staff, advisor and other co workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stony Brook University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4