Stony Brook University Employee Reviews

Fun Job
Peer Nursing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Delhi, NYAugust 17, 2017
You pretty much make your own study plan with the students. The staff is very supportive. You go in during your scheduled time and wait for students to arrive, some days it would be many others it would be a few.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Not enough hours
Great Place to be
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYAugust 16, 2017
Its a good place to work, gorgeous campus, and relaxed atmosphere. I think it will be a good place for someone who is intelligent and open minded. You need to be able to think for yourself.
Best cafeteria and endless choices of very good food
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 24, 2017
Best benefits and rewarding hospital to work out. Loved the people who worked throughout the hospital from nurses to aides to elevator workers. Always enjoyed my years at the facility.
Pros
Food and benefits
Cons
A solid laboratory environment conducive to exploring new research interests
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 23, 2017
A typical day involved running multiple synthetic organic chemical reactions while collaborating with lab-mates as well as other laboratory groups on problems that one another would encounter in their daily research. Troubleshooting reactions as well as lab equipment such as an HPLC or an NMR was commonplace. Most researchers got to work independently on their part of an overall research project. Many researchers did, however, get to train new graduate students as well as undergraduate students in proper laboratory techniques and etiquette.
Wasn't a very good place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 21, 2017
The director and executive director were ok in the beginning but over heard the director and executive director talking about the employees and not so nice ways
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 18, 2017
The institution provides great benefits. Work culture is highly collaborative, and there are opportunities for upward mobility. Also, the university hospital provides the opportunity to work with physicians on potential clinical studies.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Requires car for transportation
A changing environment
Sr. Administrative Assistant - Assistant to Chair (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 12, 2017
Stony Brook is not the same as when I first started. Their benefits package is different for new employees. It's an academic institution, so there is plenty of life and goal orientated people around you. No matter what you apply for you will get plenty of experience. For me, a typical day was 7.5 hours with a 1 hour lunch break.
Cons
Everyone pays for parking
excellent place to work
Clinical Assistant Professor- Adjunct (Former Employee) –  SBUJuly 3, 2017
Love the culture of SBU. Everyone was very welcoming, friendly and willing to give a helping hand. I loved the team dynamic and how culturally competent most people are.
Worst Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Southampton, NYJune 22, 2017
I was an extremely young intern in High School but I was not respected by anyone even though I did a lot of their work. I would not recommend working here
Great
Special Assistant to Director of Athletics (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 19, 2017
Stony Brook University Athletics Department is a great place to work with a winning mentality and staff members all have the same vision of success for the program.
Stonybrook campus is awesome. Culinart sucks
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 18, 2017
New company (culinart)got contract and do not pay good now old company (sodexo) was awesome I'm actually seeking work with Sodexo again. Great company if your in management or higher!!
Pros
Summer holidays off
Cons
Long days
Stony Brook Bioengineering labs are a fun and fast-paced place to work.
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bioengineering LabsJune 7, 2017
The Bioengineering labs provide an environment where students can learn useful skills using state of the art equipment and technology. It provides a great foundation for future employment in the fields of research or industry.
Great work environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 29, 2017
This job was held in an administrative office setting where I provided undergraduates and facility members with any information needed. I also aided professor with technical issues including computers, monitors or projectors
Fun, interactive place, great people
System Staff (Former Employee) –  Computer ScienceMay 23, 2017
I learned a lot while working here. The people here are very friendly and there is always something to do. The work/life balance is superb and I got to know really great people.
Good opportunity for students
Student Researcher, Bioengineering Lab (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYMay 23, 2017
Great place to gain knowledge and experience for students while at college. You will learn to deal with various types of people and build your people skills.
Pros
Free food. Good pay.
Cons
Hard labor
Stony Brook University Campus Residencies
Assistant Planning Manager (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 19, 2017
I love where I work. I am a full time student and work in between and after classes. My boss is very flexible in terms of hours and always challenges me with new, challenging, and enjoyable tasks.
Pros
Flexible hours
Productive and fun
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 18, 2017
Working in the lab was productive and fun. Managing and discussing new techniques for projects, journal clubs and assisting undergraduate students on a daily basis.
Great benefits
Assistant Dean for Business Affairs (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 15, 2017
SBU has great benefits and room for advancement but the workplace culture is cut throat and stressful if you are a person who likes to make improvements and are a forward thinker.
Benefits
Student Project Coordinator
Student Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 14, 2017
There were 2 four hour shifts. Very flexible schedule for students however the manager always preferred if you had a bulk of a time slot. Got compensated fairly. Not much motion but good enough to keep you busy.
Productive but stressful
Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 13, 2017
My typical day involved working in geochemistry laboratory and carry out experiments and manage lab work. Coordinate with other departments and work on data exchange. Help other students in their project. Attend meetings and conferences.
Pros
highly research oriented envionment
Cons
less helpful environment and no dental insurance