Stony Brook University Employee Reviews

Organized, fast paced environment
Office of Student Affairs (Current Employee) –  Stony BrookMay 8, 2013
I’m currently working as an assistant to the Vice President for Student Affairs at Stony Brook University. Over the past few months I have prepared speeches for the vice president, created presentations, created a strategic plan and guidelines regarding policies and procedures to start social media accounts for the Office of Student Affairs and Dean of Students, and have begun to create web content for the creation of a first generation student website. I’m currently collaborating with all the student affairs departments to gather information regarding student learning outcomes and institutional assessment for Middle States Accreditation. As an assistant to the Vice President of Student Affairs I have developed my interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills and possess the ability to meet deadlines and stay organized in a busy office environment.
While acquiring my Masters degree I gained supervisor experience volunteering in the Campus Recreation Center, advising 30 students during winter orientation, and teaching and supervising an Advising 101 course for international students. During this time I learned about my students’ experiences, goals and interests, and helped them with any obstacles they faced throughout their college journey.
Pros
works for the vice president for student affairs
Productive and fun environment that was very accommodating to students
Caller (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 28, 2014
A typical shift is 3 hours a night from 6pm to 9pm. Shifts take place sunday through friday, and each caller is required to take on at least three shifts. You develop strong communication skills through this job and it provides beneficial insight to future careers and the university itself. Management is professional yet relaxed, allowing callers a lot of freedom while still maintaining the company standard. In terms of co-workers, it becomes a very close knit environment since all the callers are in the a very small vicinity helping each other. The hardest part of the job is obviously calling a pitching the fund to prospective donors, but even this becomes second nature after a few months of working there. The most enjoyable part of the job is most definitely the people you work with, we definitely keep each other entertained and maintain a great work environment.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
unpleasant prospects, stressful rejections
Educational and skill building experience in the lab.
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJanuary 12, 2015
I volunteered for a graduate student in the lab for one semester at the university. I used a compound light microscope to count and collect data for later analysis .There was only one other volunteer in the data collection of this experiment so we worked by ourselves for the most part. The best part about this experience was that I was very independent, in that I made up my hours when it was convenient for me. It was a educational experience as well because I learned how to use equipment and computer applications I never had before. The only downside was that the actual job was a little monotonous, and there was no variability from day to day. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience, and I felt I was part of an important endeavor and it made me feel good to help.
Pros
independent and educational experience
Cons
little variability in lab work from day to day
Excellent learning environment
Assistant Facilities Manager & Event Coordination (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 3, 2013
Working for the Charles B Wang center at Stony Brook University was an excellent learning experience for me on multiple levels. A typical day consisted of providing customer service on a personal level to both students and building visitors and positively representing the facilities department. In this experience I learned the importance of creating a good team to multitask during special events and in everyday work and additionally the in and outs of building maintenance on a commercial level. The most difficult portion of my job was ensuring each event was incident free being a public building that had visitors during these events. The most enjoyable part of this job was growing lasting relationships with the building staff and meeting a variety of different individuals with unique causes.
It was a physics graduate program; one works hard and learns.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 19, 2013
It was a graduate school position, so the pay was kept low and the hours were long. However, I learned a lot about physics and IT and I got the opportunity to live in Europe for 4.5 years while working on the ATLAS Detector of the Large Hadron Collider.
Management was pretty light-handed, since they were physics professors and fellow academics.
My co-workers were fellow students, which results in changes all the time.

Note that the base salary for a graduate student is only ~$20,000. I received extra compensation due to my posting in Europe and the resulting cost of living increase.
Pros
i was paid to do my thesis research
Cons
long hours, low pay
an invaluable journy
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYSeptember 15, 2014
The PhD program at Stony Brook University (SBU) is well balanced between study and research. I can attend useful courses / trainings to help me solving the problems or questions in my research. In addition to professional knowledge and skills, I also improved my ability on other aspects such as self-learning and problem-solving. The working environment at SBU has always been motivated and collaborative. One of the most enjoyable part in my whole PhD is that I can work on very diverse interesting project by establishing collaborations with scientists from other school and institutes.
Great learning stage for the engineering world as a intern.
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2012
A typical day at work was learning besides graduate students towards their Ph.D. I helped research and build an antenna for RFID testing. Management was a bit tough since the professor was doing research on his own, so he wasn't around that often. Most of the contact was thru email, but it was very helpful having a few graduate students in the room as well that were familiar with the software and equipment in the laboratory. The most enjoyable part was learning was learning equipment, gaining work experience and seeing the process of what graduate school is all about.
Productive and fun place with many creative people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 24, 2015
A typical day was filled with paper work, news media literature, preparing for events and furthering the University as a reputable place to attend. I learned about the many possibilities for University Graduates in terms of careers. The management was great, my co-workers were excellent and friendly. The hardest part of the job was during breaks where work flow was less and the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting many important people at special events.
Pros
Free Lunches to cover other employees
Cons
N/A
Excellent place to work
Office Assistant- Student Orientation (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYSeptember 14, 2012
One of my favorite places to work. The staff was really cool, and the job allowed me to meet various department heads which was good school-wise. Pay was also above minimum wage and we got school vacation days off. Coworkers were awesome so was the management. I was able to get a couple other jobs from this job as well. Definitely worth being an orientation leader.
Pros
very fun work environment
Excellent Research Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 27, 2015
I am a PhD student at computer science department. As a part of my PhD, I have been working as a research assistant. It's been an excellent experience for me so far. The faculty and students work closely together in an open, collegial atmosphere. The department is active in many of the major research areas in computer science with specialization in Visual Computing, Computer Systems, Networking and Security, Databases, Logic Programming and Deductive Systems, Concurrency and Verification, Algorithms and Complexity, and Computer Science Education.
Pros
Diverse research area, friendly working environment

Want to know more about Stony Brook University?

Ask a question
Challenging & enjoyable role
Instructional support assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 15, 2012
Helping someone better themselves and becoming Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT’s).

You could easily get lost in Stony Brook, but the staff are always helpful and management helps make the tasks at hand fun.

Hardest part of the job is graduation.

Best parts of the job, seeing students become support trainers.
Pros
it's not a full time position and gives flexability to your schedule.
Cons
it's not a full time position.
Great Job Culture
Senior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 30, 2014
At Stony Brook University I served as an assistant to the HR Coordinator for campus operations and maintenance. I maintained and organized all departmental personal files manually and electronically. Regularly update any confidential information. This included: salary, NYSID, employee identification, contact information, time & attendance, and timesheets. Along with compiling various reports, reconstructing spreadsheets, and prepared packets for search committees.
Great opportunity
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYSeptember 3, 2012
I worked with one of my college teachers to design a curriculum based on the field of Eco-aesthetics. I worked for internship and independent research credit. I helped him in the classroom present lectures and assist students during projects and classwork. I learned how to organize lessons for class and how to deliver information efficiently.
Pros
experience in the classroom and experience designing curriculum.
Cons
it was not a job, it was just for college credit.
great
Sociology of Crime Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 15, 2015
i love stony brook university and all it has to offer. working and going to school their really helped me meet new people besides the ones that were just in my class. the most enjoyable part of this job was getting to see the students in the crowds at all the concerts and events and how happy they were
Clinical Year during the Radiologic Technology Program
Radiologic Technology Student (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 4, 2012
I was an undergraduate student in this program. I completed all my competencies. Stony Brook University Medical Center was one of my rotations, and its quite busy there. Their Emergency Department use the newer digital Siemens xray equipment, and it is amazing. It is a level one trauma center, so things could get hectic there.
This was a great place to work
Campus Dining Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 12, 2014
I feel that working at Stony Brook University while simultaneously attending the institution has allowed me to become the hardworking and concentrated person that I am today. I was lucky to work with a very diverse community, teaching me many things about different culture, which made this job amazingly enjoyable.
It's a good university, but research environment is not very friendly
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYOctober 1, 2015
As a state university, Stony Brook doesn't have so much fundings, so some the instruments are kind of out of date, sometimes you really need to figure out how to do the research with very limited tools. I also feel like the education environment doesn't support students enough.
A positive contribution to the school
Stony Brook University Chinese Internship (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 18, 2014
Successfully tutored students to increase language skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing)
Planned study schedules that significantly increased students’ scores on exams
Organized textbooks and novels using Dewey Decimal System
Answered questions and helped students find reference material
Responsible for opening and closing the Chinese library
Very productive and influential sports atmosphere
Sports Marketing Internship (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJanuary 7, 2016
I was responsible for the management and supervision of the Fitness Attendants. I also Assisted with scheduling, paperwork, time sheets and payroll. I Used Software like Innosoft Fusion, Google Docs and IMLeagues. I helped assist in all fitness and wellness operations. I also helped then management of ACISF (American Collegiate Intramural Sports Fitness) Program.
Productive Environment
Intern for Marine Department (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 9, 2014
Intern at Stony Brook University. I worked on my own. i inspected laboratories, classrooms, and chemicals making sure they are properly stored. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning as must as i can take in.
Pros
building friendships
Cons
no job security after graduation

4.4