Stony Brook University

Stony Brook University Employer Reviews

Productive and fun environment that was very accommodating to students
Caller (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYMay 28, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: unpleasant prospects, stressful rejections
A typical shift is 3 hours a night from 6pm to 9pm. Shifts take place sunday through friday, and each caller is required to take on at least three shifts. You develop strong communication skills through this job and it provides beneficial insight to future careers and the university itself. Management is professional yet relaxed, allowing callers a lot of freedom while still maintaining the company standard. In terms of co-workers, it becomes a very close knit environment since all the callers are in the a very small vicinity helping each other. The hardest part of the job is obviously calling a pitching the fund to prospective donors, but even this becomes second nature after a few months of working there. The most enjoyable part of the job is most definitely the people you work with, we definitely keep each other entertained and maintain a great work environment.
Research Lab
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYMay 19, 2014
Computational lab in mechanics. Working on Finite Element modeling and analytical analysis on solid mechanics.
Productive Environment
Intern for Marine Department (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYMay 9, 2014
Pros: building friendships
Cons: no job security after graduation
Intern at Stony Brook University. I worked on my own. i inspected laboratories, classrooms, and chemicals making sure they are properly stored. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning as must as i can take in.
Terminated without cause
Manager of Intramural and Club Sports (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYMay 9, 2014
Unions usually protect you. There is a clause in your contract saying that the University can terminate your position and buy out your contract without needing to provide an explanation.
Great Job Culture
Senior Clerk (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYApril 30, 2014
At Stony Brook University I served as an assistant to the HR Coordinator for campus operations and maintenance. I maintained and organized all departmental personal files manually and electronically. Regularly update any confidential information. This included: salary, NYSID, employee identification, contact information, time & attendance, and timesheets. Along with compiling various reports, reconstructing spreadsheets, and prepared packets for search committees.
Great Job
International Admissions Advisor (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYApril 1, 2014
Looking for work in the city, for those looking employment in the suburbs this is a great fit.
Productive and fun work place
CS Grad Student (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYMarch 18, 2014
Productive and fun work place, which gives you load of opportunity to grow in the field you like.
good place to study
Research Assistant (Current Employee), stony brookMarch 11, 2014
Pros: cheap university
Cons: nothing
best professors in systems. I learned OS, algorithms, system security
well organized organic chemistry department
Teacher assistant (Former Employee), sbuFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: lots of resources
teaching students organic chemistry
Holding study sessions in the library
Creating powerpoing lessons
Great team of T.As.
Great teachers
Typical residence life with corporate aspects.
Quad Assistant/Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Stony Brook N.Y.February 4, 2014
If you do not have the stomach for residence life or are new to the field, leave this place alone. Too many free spirits and thinkers, who are all professional students who are hiding from the real world. 30 year old RA's.
Fun enviroment and structure to teach future life skills
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYJanuary 28, 2014
Maintian campus residence and a safe friendly enviroment for students. help to get students into their rooms and give them peritent information for events around campus. Ligh hours and not to stressful. Was a good job to help me learn how to work once I graduated.
Not good not bad.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYJanuary 2, 2014
Pay is not good.
Benefit is not good.
Job is not challenge.
Co-workers are nice.
Fun
Student Activities Board, Historian (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYDecember 9, 2013
Tutored incoming Stony Brook freshmen through the Educational Opportunity Program. Provide leadership, vision, and growth for the incoming freshmen. Present orientation seminars regarding academics and activities
Great place for research
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYDecember 7, 2013
Pros: lot's of potential for learning
Cons: far from home
Worked in a welcoming environment and knowledgeable supervisor.
a good place to do research and study
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYDecember 4, 2013
I worked as the research assistant and teaching assistant during my graduate career. I have developed my ability to do research and solve problems individually by working as the research assistant. I have improved my communication skills by working as the teaching assistant.
Great work environment with interesting projects
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYOctober 8, 2013
The superior provided great projects and working environment. All the teammates are perfect.
Internship Review
Corporate Sales and Ticketing Operations Intern (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYOctober 8, 2013
Consists of researching companies based on the type of business for my mentor. I am also required to put together different projects on the computer.
Unique
Peer Educator (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYAugust 27, 2013
I enjoyed the experience at Stony Brook and learned more about myself than I ever imagined. Not only a University with wonderful guidance but also an ideal location to become both and group learner and leader at the very same time.
Fun workplace
Academic Advisor (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYAugust 10, 2013
Met with students to discuss academic and professional goals, handled any academic problems and provided solutions.
Testing Cosmeceutical Materials
Senior Research Support Specialist (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYAugust 7, 2013
Worked on cell based assays to test for increased levels of collagen deposition from cosmeceutical materials.

About Stony Brook University

From its beginnings a half-century ago, Stony Brook University has been characterized by innovation, energy and progress, transforming – Read more