Stony Brook University

Stony Brook University Employer Reviews

a good place to do research and study
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYDecember 4, 2013
I worked as the research assistant and teaching assistant during my graduate career. I have developed my ability to do research and solve problems individually by working as the research assistant. I have improved my communication skills by working as the teaching assistant.
Great work environment with interesting projects
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYOctober 8, 2013
The superior provided great projects and working environment. All the teammates are perfect.
Internship Review
Corporate Sales and Ticketing Operations Intern (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYOctober 8, 2013
Consists of researching companies based on the type of business for my mentor. I am also required to put together different projects on the computer.
Unique
Peer Educator (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYAugust 27, 2013
I enjoyed the experience at Stony Brook and learned more about myself than I ever imagined. Not only a University with wonderful guidance but also an ideal location to become both and group learner and leader at the very same time.
Fun workplace
Academic Advisor (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYAugust 10, 2013
Met with students to discuss academic and professional goals, handled any academic problems and provided solutions.
Testing Cosmeceutical Materials
Senior Research Support Specialist (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYAugust 7, 2013
Worked on cell based assays to test for increased levels of collagen deposition from cosmeceutical materials.
Enjoyable place to work
Office assistant work study- Administration Dept (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYAugust 6, 2013
There was never a slow day at work. I would come into work and there was always things for me to do, I never had to sit down and have nothing to do. I learned different ways of data entry and also learned how to properly reread letters for mistakes.
Excellent Residential Life Program
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYJuly 18, 2013
Although it took a lot of time and effort, I thoroughly enjoyed my time working in Residence Life at Stony Brook University. The job is sometimes thankless, but absolutely worthwhile. The camaraderie and support among the staff, at all levels of the university, made it a pleasure to do my job.
productive and interactive environment
USG Events Management Supervisor (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYJuly 2, 2013
managing my peers for on campus events in which we would accommodate up to 1000 students
school faculty is so nice
Teaching Assistant (Computer Sciences (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYJune 26, 2013
i love it, stony brook is a great place for students. i graduated with my ams degree and worked there as a TA in computer class.
A good chance to learn advanced knowledge here as Research Asistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYMay 23, 2013
A great chance to acess a great exploration in Mechanical Engineering.
One of the best on campus position I found
Graduate Office Manager (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYMay 21, 2013
I learned a lot from this job. Supervisor was very helpful and I was always occupied with interesting projects.
Organized, fast paced environment
Office of Student Affairs (Current Employee), Stony BrookMay 8, 2013
Pros: works for the vice president for student affairs
I’m currently working as an assistant to the Vice President for Student Affairs at Stony Brook University. Over the past few months I have prepared speeches for the vice president, created presentations, created a strategic plan and guidelines regarding policies and procedures to start social media accounts for the Office of Student Affairs and Dean – more... of Students, and have begun to create web content for the creation of a first generation student website. I’m currently collaborating with all the student affairs departments to gather information regarding student learning outcomes and institutional assessment for Middle States Accreditation. As an assistant to the Vice President of Student Affairs I have developed my interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills and possess the ability to meet deadlines and stay organized in a busy office environment.
While acquiring my Masters degree I gained supervisor experience volunteering in the Campus Recreation Center, advising 30 students during winter orientation, and teaching and supervising an Advising 101 course for international students. During this time I learned about my students’ experiences, goals and interests, and helped them with any obstacles they faced throughout their college journey. – less
Great place
VP of Graduate Students Residents Association (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYApril 4, 2013
I was working as vice president of a students organization and I loved it.Great place to work and multi cutural place
Excellent learning environment
Assistant Facilities Manager & Event Coordination (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYApril 3, 2013
Working for the Charles B Wang center at Stony Brook University was an excellent learning experience for me on multiple levels. A typical day consisted of providing customer service on a personal level to both students and building visitors and positively representing the facilities department. In this experience I learned the importance of creating – more... a good team to multitask during special events and in everyday work and additionally the in and outs of building maintenance on a commercial level. The most difficult portion of my job was ensuring each event was incident free being a public building that had visitors during these events. The most enjoyable part of this job was growing lasting relationships with the building staff and meeting a variety of different individuals with unique causes. – less
It was a physics graduate program; one works hard and learns.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYMarch 19, 2013
Pros: i was paid to do my thesis research
Cons: long hours, low pay
It was a graduate school position, so the pay was kept low and the hours were long. However, I learned a lot about physics and IT and I got the opportunity to live in Europe for 4.5 years while working on the ATLAS Detector of the Large Hadron Collider.
Management was pretty light-handed, since they were physics professors and fellow academics.
My co-workers – more... were fellow students, which results in changes all the time.

Note that the base salary for a graduate student is only ~$20,000. I received extra compensation due to my posting in Europe and the resulting cost of living increase. – less
Diverse
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYMarch 11, 2013
The campus is diverse with so many people competing with each other. There is no guarantee that you will get a job right after graduation.
Cutting edge research in battery chemistry
Postodctoral Researcher (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: lots of collaborators
Typical postdoc job, i.e. intense research, lots of responsibilities, and very different from my graduate research area.
Learned lots of new things in this area of chemistry (lithium ion and sodium ion batteries, solid state NMR).
Admissions Administrator (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: good environment
Cons: temporary position
Good work experience.

Good team.

Worked with several diverse people.

Good training on the job, was able to perfect my work with computers and customers
Great Research University
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYNovember 30, 2012
Pros: close to beaches, new york city; social gatherings: weekly summer socials, holiday party
The Physics Department is very large and there are lots of fields of research. It is a typical university environment: discussion lunches with colleagues, etc.

About Stony Brook University

From its beginnings a half-century ago, Stony Brook University has been characterized by innovation, energy and progress, transforming – Read more