Stony Brook University Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Video Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 29, 2015
If you love sports this is the place to work. Lots of upcoming talent and projects coming to SBU that will surely make it the top school in New York within the next few years.
Excellent Research Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 27, 2015
I am a PhD student at computer science department. As a part of my PhD, I have been working as a research assistant. It's been an excellent experience for me so far. The faculty and students work closely together in an open, collegial atmosphere. The department is active in many of the major research areas in computer science with specialization in Visual Computing, Computer Systems, Networking and Security, Databases, Logic Programming and Deductive Systems, Concurrency and Verification, Algorithms and Complexity, and Computer Science Education.
Pros
Diverse research area, friendly working environment
great
Senior Projects (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 21, 2015
Stony brook great university that may push you to your limits but will result in a positive career and life if you stay the course
great
Sociology of Crime Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 15, 2015
i love stony brook university and all it has to offer. working and going to school their really helped me meet new people besides the ones that were just in my class. the most enjoyable part of this job was getting to see the students in the crowds at all the concerts and events and how happy they were
BRV not fun
Brookhaven Residential Village Sports Coordinator (Former Employee) –  stony brook,nyApril 15, 2015
Some good people, but everything varies. But also boring from time to time.time. Theres a lot to do in the community , make use out of everything.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
This is my undergraduate university
student (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 30, 2015
This university is a key university in China and ranks 30th. I have learned a lot of knowledge related to the engineering here.
Productive and fun place with many creative people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 24, 2015
A typical day was filled with paper work, news media literature, preparing for events and furthering the University as a reputable place to attend. I learned about the many possibilities for University Graduates in terms of careers. The management was great, my co-workers were excellent and friendly. The hardest part of the job was during breaks where work flow was less and the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting many important people at special events.
Pros
Free Lunches to cover other employees
Cons
N/A
Productive and fiun workplace
Chemistry Researcher (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, New YorkMarch 24, 2015
Made a lot of valuable connections. Learned a lot about responsibility on the job. Very satisfying working with a tight-knit community.
Fun job and great learning experience
Research - Work Study (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 22, 2015
There is a lot of room for learning on your own and being allowed to pursue the research in a way that works the best for you.
Pros
wrote my own hours
Positive work place
Research and Development of Thermal Spray Coatings (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 2, 2015
Nice place to work flexible house but did not challenge me as an engineer. CEO was not in touch with what was going on in the lab or in industry.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not challenging
Productive and nice place to study
Teaching Assistant and Grader (February (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYFebruary 24, 2015
Stony Brook University is a nice and innovative place to study. I received a lot of encouragement for working hard and achieving goal from various professors.
Productive and Friendly Workplace
Grader / Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYFebruary 18, 2015
It's great opportunity to learn and interact with undergraduate students of Mechanical Engineering in the university.
It requires the knowledge of Fluid mechanics as well as thermodynamics.
Great enviroment
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  StonyBrook, NYFebruary 9, 2015
Stonybrook was a great experience learning how to teach and care for Pre-K. The most enjoyable part was seeing the kids smile and tell their bizzare stories. The hardest part of my job was saying good bye.
Pros
being able to experience
Cons
the pay and no benefits
Great atmosphere for research
Research Assistant/ Software/Method development (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYFebruary 7, 2015
- Encouraging research activity and collaborations
- Friendly coworkers
- Good neighborhood
- some activities
- needs improvement in school administration & management
Good experience
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Department of Undergrad BiologyJanuary 28, 2015
Good experience, I learned a lot was very educational and I had the support of excellent coworkers and supervisors
Pros
supportive coworkers and supervisors
Cons
a lot of work to do
Professor's were awesome
Health science track leader/student liaison (Current Employee) –  stony brook nyJanuary 20, 2015
I was a student liaison for my classmates and our professors. I met with professors on behalf of 70 students and addressed the needs and concerns of my constituents. The professors were awesome to work with and we got a lot done, to make for a successful semester.
Pros
respectful environment
Cons
professors were quite busy
Educational and skill building experience in the lab.
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJanuary 12, 2015
I volunteered for a graduate student in the lab for one semester at the university. I used a compound light microscope to count and collect data for later analysis .There was only one other volunteer in the data collection of this experiment so we worked by ourselves for the most part. The best part about this experience was that I was very independent, in that I made up my hours when it was convenient for me. It was a educational experience as well because I learned how to use equipment and computer applications I never had before. The only downside was that the actual job was a little monotonous, and there was no variability from day to day. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience, and I felt I was part of an important endeavor and it made me feel good to help.
Pros
independent and educational experience
Cons
little variability in lab work from day to day
Very diverse staff, in this office everyone communicated efficiently and respectfully with one another.
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJanuary 9, 2015
It was a great job to have during my senior year at Stonybrook University. My supervisor was very helpful as well as the office team, who was a pleasure to work with.
Helping and learning at the same time
Teacher Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYDecember 2, 2014
It was great honor to work with Professor. Nugent.
He is one of the best professor I know in Stony Brook University.
He is really good at teaching finance. Also, explaining concepts to students were a good chance to improve my skill.
Excellent research university
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYNovember 24, 2014
Stony Brook University promotes state of the art research opportunities to students under the guidance of world renowned professors. Its diverse and inter-discipline research helps student to work on real world problems.

4.4