Stony Brook University Employee Reviews

its good working enviornment
Teaching and research Care Nurse-2 (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 17, 2014
i am working there for 6 yrs.i liked it and engoy my working enviornment.
an invaluable journy
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYSeptember 15, 2014
The PhD program at Stony Brook University (SBU) is well balanced between study and research. I can attend useful courses / trainings to help me solving the problems or questions in my research. In addition to professional knowledge and skills, I also improved my ability on other aspects such as self-learning and problem-solving. The working environment at SBU has always been motivated and collaborative. One of the most enjoyable part in my whole PhD is that I can work on very diverse interesting project by establishing collaborations with scientists from other school and institutes.
Great Place for Students
Research Assistant within Psychiatry Department (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYSeptember 8, 2014
The University really caters to its student employees so that they can pay their way through school. Not a lot of room for advancement, but good for the interim.
Productive place full of research oriented work
Student (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYSeptember 4, 2014
Stony Brook offers a lot of research options ranging from Systems area to Application level.
An excellent perfect place of employment
Associate Director for Risk Management, Camp. Res. (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYAugust 18, 2014
I had the opportunity to work and interact with some of the most amazing group of people at Stony Brook University.
Pros
working with the students population
Pleasant Pedagogical and Training Evironment
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 28, 2014
My role involved establishing relationships with community stakeholders to enhance the training and employment opportunities for the continuing education and higher education students at York College.
Pros
true to community development mission
Cons
contracted employment
SUNY U At Buffalo Athletics (NOT STONY BROOK)
Athletic Coordinator(Assistant Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYJuly 26, 2014
Maintaining athletic facilities, setting up sporting/entertainment events; serving as security and staff for events
A positive contribution to the school
Stony Brook University Chinese Internship (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 18, 2014
Successfully tutored students to increase language skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing)
Planned study schedules that significantly increased students’ scores on exams
Organized textbooks and novels using Dewey Decimal System
Answered questions and helped students find reference material
Responsible for opening and closing the Chinese library
This was a great place to work
Campus Dining Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 12, 2014
I feel that working at Stony Brook University while simultaneously attending the institution has allowed me to become the hardworking and concentrated person that I am today. I was lucky to work with a very diverse community, teaching me many things about different culture, which made this job amazingly enjoyable.
Working at Stony Brook
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 3, 2014
Great place to work. Beautiful, green and smoke free campus. The faculty and students are easy going and willing to collaborate on projects.
Blended Program
Nurse Practitioner Student (Former Employee) –  New YorkMay 29, 2014
You need a a lot of discipline to go through the program and finding your own preceptors can be very difficult so start early.
Productive and fun environment that was very accommodating to students
Caller (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 28, 2014
A typical shift is 3 hours a night from 6pm to 9pm. Shifts take place sunday through friday, and each caller is required to take on at least three shifts. You develop strong communication skills through this job and it provides beneficial insight to future careers and the university itself. Management is professional yet relaxed, allowing callers a lot of freedom while still maintaining the company standard. In terms of co-workers, it becomes a very close knit environment since all the callers are in the a very small vicinity helping each other. The hardest part of the job is obviously calling a pitching the fund to prospective donors, but even this becomes second nature after a few months of working there. The most enjoyable part of the job is most definitely the people you work with, we definitely keep each other entertained and maintain a great work environment.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
unpleasant prospects, stressful rejections
Research Lab
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 19, 2014
Computational lab in mechanics. Working on Finite Element modeling and analytical analysis on solid mechanics.
Productive Environment
Intern for Marine Department (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 9, 2014
Intern at Stony Brook University. I worked on my own. i inspected laboratories, classrooms, and chemicals making sure they are properly stored. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning as must as i can take in.
Pros
building friendships
Cons
no job security after graduation
Terminated without cause
Manager of Intramural and Club Sports (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 9, 2014
Unions usually protect you. There is a clause in your contract saying that the University can terminate your position and buy out your contract without needing to provide an explanation.
Great Job Culture
Senior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 30, 2014
At Stony Brook University I served as an assistant to the HR Coordinator for campus operations and maintenance. I maintained and organized all departmental personal files manually and electronically. Regularly update any confidential information. This included: salary, NYSID, employee identification, contact information, time & attendance, and timesheets. Along with compiling various reports, reconstructing spreadsheets, and prepared packets for search committees.
Great Job
International Admissions Advisor (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 1, 2014
Looking for work in the city, for those looking employment in the suburbs this is a great fit.
Productive and fun work place
CS Grad Student (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 18, 2014
Productive and fun work place, which gives you load of opportunity to grow in the field you like.
good place to study
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  stony brookMarch 11, 2014
best professors in systems. I learned OS, algorithms, system security
Pros
cheap university
Cons
nothing
well organized organic chemistry department
Teacher assistant (Former Employee) –  sbuFebruary 12, 2014
teaching students organic chemistry
Holding study sessions in the library
Creating powerpoing lessons
Great team of T.As.
Great teachers
Pros
lots of resources

4.4