Stony Brook University

Stony Brook University Employer Reviews

Diverse
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYMarch 11, 2013
The campus is diverse with so many people competing with each other. There is no guarantee that you will get a job right after graduation.
Cutting edge research in battery chemistry
Postodctoral Researcher (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: lots of collaborators
Typical postdoc job, i.e. intense research, lots of responsibilities, and very different from my graduate research area.
Learned lots of new things in this area of chemistry (lithium ion and sodium ion batteries, solid state NMR).
Admissions Administrator (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: good environment
Cons: temporary position
Good work experience.

Good team.

Worked with several diverse people.

Good training on the job, was able to perfect my work with computers and customers
Great Research University
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYNovember 30, 2012
Pros: close to beaches, new york city; social gatherings: weekly summer socials, holiday party
The Physics Department is very large and there are lots of fields of research. It is a typical university environment: discussion lunches with colleagues, etc.
Good for research, unconveinent for living
Research Assistant - Department of Geosciences (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYNovember 21, 2012
Located on Long Island, Stony Brook University (SBU) is somewhat isolated. But for research, SBU has strong relationship with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, and Brookhaven National Laboratory.
Excellent University
Student (Former Employee), 100 Nicolls Road Stony Brook, NY 11794October 16, 2012
Pros: excellent education at a low cost.
Cons: large class sizes
One of the best universities in the world available at an extremely reasonable cost, it is difficult to beat the quality of education you get at Stony Brook for the price it costs.
Excellent place to work
Office Assistant- Student Orientation (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYSeptember 14, 2012
Pros: very fun work environment
One of my favorite places to work. The staff was really cool, and the job allowed me to meet various department heads which was good school-wise. Pay was also above minimum wage and we got school vacation days off. Coworkers were awesome so was the management. I was able to get a couple other jobs from this job as well. Definitely worth being an orientation – more... leader. – less
Nice
Teaching assistant (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYSeptember 9, 2012
I love my university. There are a lot of on-campus internships and job opportunities available.
employees make this a hostile work environment, patients are very polite
Adult Echocardiographer (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 6, 2012
great patients, terrible employees who show little concern for anyone other than themselves
Great opportunity
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYSeptember 3, 2012
Pros: experience in the classroom and experience designing curriculum.
Cons: it was not a job, it was just for college credit.
I worked with one of my college teachers to design a curriculum based on the field of Eco-aesthetics. I worked for internship and independent research credit. I helped him in the classroom present lectures and assist students during projects and classwork. I learned how to organize lessons for class and how to deliver information efficiently.
SBU
Student (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYAugust 31, 2012
SBU was a good experience where I met a lot of students who shared my level of dedication and hard work. Coursework was difficult but with dilligence it is easy to succeed there. They have several oppurtunities for internships and work experience.
Served as a senator for Economics Graduate Student Association
EGSA Senator (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYAugust 26, 2012
be a volunteer to help student in Econ department.
hold variaty student activities
Great learning stage for the engineering world as a intern.
Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 23, 2012
A typical day at work was learning besides graduate students towards their Ph.D. I helped research and build an antenna for RFID testing. Management was a bit tough since the professor was doing research on his own, so he wasn't around that often. Most of the contact was thru email, but it was very helpful having a few graduate students in the room – more... as well that were familiar with the software and equipment in the laboratory. The most enjoyable part was learning was learning equipment, gaining work experience and seeing the process of what graduate school is all about. – less
Great experience!
Student Aide (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYJuly 22, 2012
Pros: always gfave time to study
Cons: appointment was too short
Superior are helpful and are concerned with students acheiveing success in academics.
Productive and fun
Student Aide (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYJune 28, 2012
Pros: because it was a college work study i was able to study at times
Cons: made deliveries in the rain accross campus
The staff were all very helpfull and a pleasure to work with. I leaned many new manager task. The hardest part of the job with leaning the payroll system.
Good research experience
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYJune 18, 2012
Good place for graduate research. Facilities are well-equipped; however some instruments are not well maintained.
Challenging & enjoyable role
Instructional support assistant (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYJune 15, 2012
Pros: it's not a full time position and gives flexability to your schedule.
Cons: it's not a full time position.
Helping someone better themselves and becoming Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT’s).

You could easily get lost in Stony Brook, but the staff are always helpful and management helps make the tasks at hand fun.

Hardest part of the job is graduation.

Best parts of the job, seeing students become support trainers.
Good
Webmaster (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYJune 13, 2012
Updates are light to heavy at times. Good mix. Fun people to work with.
Clinical Year during the Radiologic Technology Program
Radiologic Technology Student (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYJune 4, 2012
I was an undergraduate student in this program. I completed all my competencies. Stony Brook University Medical Center was one of my rotations, and its quite busy there. Their Emergency Department use the newer digital Siemens xray equipment, and it is amazing. It is a level one trauma center, so things could get hectic there.
Good graduate school
Teaching Assistant and Lecturer (Former Employee), Stony Brook, NYMay 21, 2012
From its beginnings more than a half-century ago, Stony Brook
University has been characterized by innovation, energy, and
progress, transforming the lives of people who earn degrees, work,
and make groundbreaking discoveries here.

About Stony Brook University

From its beginnings a half-century ago, Stony Brook University has been characterized by innovation, energy and progress, transforming – Read more