Stony Brook University Employee Reviews in United States

Great enviroment
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  StonyBrook, NYFebruary 9, 2015
Stonybrook was a great experience learning how to teach and care for Pre-K. The most enjoyable part was seeing the kids smile and tell their bizzare stories. The hardest part of my job was saying good bye.
Pros
being able to experience
Cons
the pay and no benefits
Educational and skill building experience in the lab.
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJanuary 12, 2015
I volunteered for a graduate student in the lab for one semester at the university. I used a compound light microscope to count and collect data for later analysis .There was only one other volunteer in the data collection of this experiment so we worked by ourselves for the most part. The best part about this experience was that I was very independent, in that I made up my hours when it was convenient for me. It was a educational experience as well because I learned how to use equipment and computer applications I never had before. The only downside was that the actual job was a little monotonous, and there was no variability from day to day. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience, and I felt I was part of an important endeavor and it made me feel good to help.
Pros
independent and educational experience
Cons
little variability in lab work from day to day
Great Job Culture
Senior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 30, 2014
At Stony Brook University I served as an assistant to the HR Coordinator for campus operations and maintenance. I maintained and organized all departmental personal files manually and electronically. Regularly update any confidential information. This included: salary, NYSID, employee identification, contact information, time & attendance, and timesheets. Along with compiling various reports, reconstructing spreadsheets, and prepared packets for search committees.
Interesting
Administrative Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 11, 2015
I was a temp so I am unqualified to answer. It was a fun place to work. I learned a lot. I meet a lot of people. Went to events. I learned how events are run. My co-workers were friendly.
Great atmosphere for research
Research Assistant/ Software/Method development (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYFebruary 7, 2015
- Encouraging research activity and collaborations
- Friendly coworkers
- Good neighborhood
- some activities
- needs improvement in school administration & management
good place to study
Postdoctoral and Instructor (Former Employee) –  stony brook, NYJuly 16, 2015
it is a good place to study. A small place on long island but near to NYC. It is very easy to get to NYC by the Long Island Rail Road.
Nice environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2015
I enjoyed my PhD studies in Stony Brook University. Long Island is a beautiful place to live. Campus has a great child care service.
Excellent place to work
Office Assistant- Student Orientation (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYSeptember 14, 2012
One of my favorite places to work. The staff was really cool, and the job allowed me to meet various department heads which was good school-wise. Pay was also above minimum wage and we got school vacation days off. Coworkers were awesome so was the management. I was able to get a couple other jobs from this job as well. Definitely worth being an orientation leader.
Pros
very fun work environment
Challenging & enjoyable role
Instructional support assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 15, 2012
Helping someone better themselves and becoming Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT’s).

You could easily get lost in Stony Brook, but the staff are always helpful and management helps make the tasks at hand fun.

Hardest part of the job is graduation.

Best parts of the job, seeing students become support trainers.
Pros
it's not a full time position and gives flexability to your schedule.
Cons
it's not a full time position.
This was a great place to work
Campus Dining Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 12, 2014
I feel that working at Stony Brook University while simultaneously attending the institution has allowed me to become the hardworking and concentrated person that I am today. I was lucky to work with a very diverse community, teaching me many things about different culture, which made this job amazingly enjoyable.
Stony Brook University
Member of the Dean's List (Current Employee) –  stony BrookJune 9, 2015
Good place to go to school. Was fun and great while it lasted. Food was ok and expensive. But that's college for you. I was Part of the Deans list every semester.
great
Sociology of Crime Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 15, 2015
i love stony brook university and all it has to offer. working and going to school their really helped me meet new people besides the ones that were just in my class. the most enjoyable part of this job was getting to see the students in the crowds at all the concerts and events and how happy they were
A friendly place with open-door policy
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2015
I enjoyed my PhD in Stony Brook. The class workload was more than usual but in general the education is good. PIs are generally helpful and smart.
Great to work for
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  GLS CenterJune 1, 2015
Stony Brook University has great staff that are very helpful and are pleasant to work with. Employees are knowledgeable and friendly.
BRV not fun
Brookhaven Residential Village Sports Coordinator (Former Employee) –  stony brook,nyApril 15, 2015
Some good people, but everything varies. But also boring from time to time.time. Theres a lot to do in the community , make use out of everything.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Productive Environment
Intern for Marine Department (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 9, 2014
Intern at Stony Brook University. I worked on my own. i inspected laboratories, classrooms, and chemicals making sure they are properly stored. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning as must as i can take in.
Pros
building friendships
Cons
no job security after graduation
a good place to do research and study
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYDecember 4, 2013
I worked as the research assistant and teaching assistant during my graduate career. I have developed my ability to do research and solve problems individually by working as the research assistant. I have improved my communication skills by working as the teaching assistant.
an invaluable journy
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYSeptember 15, 2014
The PhD program at Stony Brook University (SBU) is well balanced between study and research. I can attend useful courses / trainings to help me solving the problems or questions in my research. In addition to professional knowledge and skills, I also improved my ability on other aspects such as self-learning and problem-solving. The working environment at SBU has always been motivated and collaborative. One of the most enjoyable part in my whole PhD is that I can work on very diverse interesting project by establishing collaborations with scientists from other school and institutes.
Excellent learning environment
Assistant Facilities Manager & Event Coordination (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 3, 2013
Working for the Charles B Wang center at Stony Brook University was an excellent learning experience for me on multiple levels. A typical day consisted of providing customer service on a personal level to both students and building visitors and positively representing the facilities department. In this experience I learned the importance of creating a good team to multitask during special events and in everyday work and additionally the in and outs of building maintenance on a commercial level. The most difficult portion of my job was ensuring each event was incident free being a public building that had visitors during these events. The most enjoyable part of this job was growing lasting relationships with the building staff and meeting a variety of different individuals with unique causes.
Great Place for Students
Research Assistant within Psychiatry Department (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYSeptember 8, 2014
The University really caters to its student employees so that they can pay their way through school. Not a lot of room for advancement, but good for the interim.

4.4