Stop and Shop Supermarket Employee Reviews

Found 1,933 reviews matching the search
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hillsborough, NJJanuary 1, 2017
A typical day in the produce section is stop and shop was productive. I stocked our inventory in the back when a truck came in. I would make sure that produce was always out and that we weren't running low of supplies on the floor. I would also cut up fruit in the back to put out later for a seasonal fruit baskets. The job it self was good, but my manager could be problematic at times. He was stubborn and was not patient especially with new people who didn't know how to preform the job.
Good for college students
FRONT END ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Torrington, CTJanuary 9, 2017
I have worked multiple positions as a front end associate (cashier, carts/bottles, porter). They all have their own pros and cons. But for at least the location I work in, it's a good place to work at especially if you're a student. Unless it gets really busy, everyone is pretty laid back for the most part, including management. You have to really, really screw up (i.e. steal products) in order for anything bad to happen to you.
Pros
Union, health insurance
Cons
Unexpected things can happen
Pructive and fun work place
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Whitman, MAJanuary 11, 2017
Friendly coworkers and an enjoyable place to work. Very flexible with personal schedules concerning school. The union is an exception part of this company working with its employees. Supervisors are very understanding and promote team work for each respected department. I enjoy developing personal friendships with many of my coworkers that one might not have elsewhere in other companies.
Pros
Free lunch and breakfast for workers
Cons
Not enough hours
Amazing place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  East Providence, RIJanuary 14, 2017
Working at stop & shop has taught me many things. It has helped me gain confidence with talking to people, and also has shown me how close you can become with your co-workers. I have never enjoyed a job more than this one, because I got along with everybody I work with. The hardest part of the job is when it gets busy and we get lines, but I stay with a smile on my face and help the customer the best that I can. The most enjoyable part of the job is walking in and all of my co-workers greet me. It is such a good feeling to be liked by so many different kinds of people.
Pros
Union Representation, Paid holidays, Paid vacation, Sick time
Cons
Short breaks
This is a terrible place to work.
Seafood/Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newport, RIDecember 14, 2016
Opening and closing the departments. Which included, setting up and placing the product accordingly in the cases in the mornings, taking down the product cases at the end of the night, and cleaning the departments regularly. Pricing, preparing, packaging and stocking product. Making and receiving orders daily. Inventorying monthly. Constant customer service whether at the seafood or meat counter serving customers, or out on the sale floor. I trained new employees, and assisted my company in anyway I could.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Terrible management, terrible constancy with hours, terrible pay rate, horrible benefits for there employers and horrible help with anything.
Advancement almost nonexistent in certain areas
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Western MassachusettsDecember 26, 2016
The area I worked in had store managers that had been doing the job an average of 15+ years, so advancement was limited to assistant manager unless somebody retired or left the company. The management tended to be close knit and advancing was partly based on who you knew or were related to, based on my personal experience. It was retail, so the workload and schedules would be on par with that business model.
Diverse working environment, Casual and friendly as well
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Rockaway Beach, NYDecember 4, 2016
The best part about my job I would say is the ability to interact with as many people as possible. I am a very friendly person. The Average day at my job goes as smoothly as possible. Being a Front End Associate I assist the front end supervisors to the best of my abilities which include going on register to checkout customers quickly and efficiently. While also returning items to their respectable places to keep the store looking neat and clean. When other departments need extra help I also assist them, When my work is completed of course.
Pros
Great company, Friendly people
Cons
Short breaks, Short Shifts
Great workplace with friendly workers
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  East Northport, NYJanuary 16, 2017
Great place to work, great work flow and work chemistry with everyone. Family like work flow. On a typical day I would prepare and replenish salads in showcase case, remove outdates and markdown items for sales in showcase, while also serving customers. I learned how to record daily inventory and multitask. My manager is very flexible and fair, and utilizes me in every way possible.
Pros
great work flow
Cons
not enough help
Fun yet serious
Night Crew Clerk (Current Employee) –  Newington, CTDecember 1, 2016
The job title Night Crew Clerk Break down the pallets that come in every night. Shift begins at 12:00 am -8-:00am generally. The people there want you to flourish well at the job and try to push you to your limits.I really enjoy working with the people there you are generally responsible for your work and learn to work as a team. I learned how my contribution as a team and as an individual. As well as to pull my own weight so to speak. I like how the manager is willing to work around my schedule since I still attend college so the hours are flexible. Just be sure to give the manager a few weeks in advance if there are any changes.
Pros
dental and health. hours per week
Cons
It 3rd shifts no social life can affect school work health issues
productive
Cashier, Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, NY 11561November 27, 2016
Peachy. Stressful during holidays, but rather decent on an average day. co-workers kept to themselves. i've memorized more than multiple codes, and "multiple" would be an understatement. (SO MANY CODES) Management the first few month of opening in november '15. was beyond understanding and kind, until '16, of february then became slightly difficult with scheduling, and hours. The best part of this job, were my daily customers, children with smiles, and kind hearted patient customers.
Cons
short breaks, unfair scheduling, doesn't see eye to eye.
Fast paced, Challenging, Effort appreciation.
Associate Member (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 27, 2016
Stop and shop gets really at times then it slows down for a while. Supervisors are disciplined and ready to answer any questions you might have. Co-workers are friendly and ready to work.The hardest part of the job is being overwhelmed by checking out many items. The most enjoyable part of the job is customer satisfaction. What i have learned from working here is that if the customers are happy, the store get lots of respect and business.
Pros
Discounts on any purchase.
Cons
15 minute breaks for everyone.
Not very organized,
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYNovember 21, 2016
I was not able to work to my fullest potential due to lack of organization and proper communications demonstrated in this particular work place.
I learned that not every place of business will be a perfect fit to all who choose to work for that business, some times it takes a bad experience to show you your worth to ones company.
The hardest part of the job had to be dealing with angry customers.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that i tried my best to make sure my customers had a pleasent visit at Stop&Shop Deli.
Time to move forward
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Dayton, NJNovember 16, 2016
Have been there for almost 9 years and have had little to no opportunity to move up in the company. The only positive thing I gained from working here for so long is how to deal with stressful situations and my customer service skills. Past management was very discriminating towards a lot of things which made it hard for me to change positions.
Pros
Flexability with availability, paid vacation, personal, and sick days.
Cons
Can sometimes be unfair to employees, you get your schedule only 1 week in advance, little room for growth. Management isn't always supporitive.
Only a temporaty job
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dayton, NJNovember 11, 2016
The best part about the job are the guaranteed sick days, vacation days, personal hours, etc. The job itself is easy to do. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the customers and management. There is no protection from harsh words from strangers and the management has poor communication skills themselves. Pay is once every week which is nice for security and if an employees wishes to have heaps of responsibility for a lot of stress, they will oblige.
Pros
5% employee discounts, Weekly pay
Cons
Short break, poor communication, health care
Positive environment, good co-workers, great management
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  East Hampton, CTNovember 11, 2016
In the time that I worked there I enjoyed myself thoroughly with my fellow co-workers while still maintaining a hard work ethic. A typical day at work consisted of unloading the produce truck into the back room, then stocking the shelves/cutting fruit as required. The management was great and I got along well with my superiors as well as my co-workers. Best part about it was there was no hard part, simply easy to understand job, which also turned out to be the most enjoyable part. :)
Pros
Discount
Working at Stop and Shop
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 9, 2016
This is a great company to work with especially being a part of a union. I learned how to interact with customers, count cash, maintain security procedures and much more over the last three years. Management is a bit to lenient for me but for others that may work. I prefer a relaxed but also strict environment where the employees are still getting the job done. The hardest part of my job is keeping the gas station clean at all times no matter the weather. I really enjoy the fact that I am self managed.
Great Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTNovember 9, 2016
Stop and Shop provides a great and easy job for teens and young adults. It helped me create a stronger and much more easy going personality amongst customers. What I liked there was that it was always a nice and warm environment within customers as well as co-workers. I honestly think my Stop and Shop experience will help me in the future.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Great environment, and Good benefits.
Cons
Favoritism within the cashiers, Strictness, and Unfair Decisions.
fun place to work and great people that i worked with like afamily
Forklift and highlift driver (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CTNovember 8, 2016
When i came in to work i would find my forklift and proceed to my work area.Once i was in my work area i would start replenishing the slots until everything was full .

What i learned at stop and shop was how to drive a sit down forklift stand up forklift.I also learned how to use a motorized pallet jack .

My coworkers were like family everyone got along and we worked together to complete the days task .

the hardest part of the job was when i got into work i would have a lot of empty slots .and a lot of selectors coming threw the aisles so it would be very frustrating .

the most enjoyable part of my job was receiving product off the trucks .
It's ok
Cashier/Customer Service, front end manager (Current Employee) –  Neptune City, NJDecember 10, 2016
There's drama. But then again there's drama everywhere in every work place. Stop and Shop is part of the Union so you technically can't go over 30 hours as a part timer. It sucks that you don't get much benefits and the write-up excuses are lame. The managers aren't really management type but they're learning.
Pros
Nice people to work with, keeps you busy
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits, bad hours
A decent job for students
Computer Assisted Ordering Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Fairfield, CTDecember 24, 2016
They hire a lot of young people and students. So, they are very considerate about adjusting your work schedule during school. Although, there have been many times when they were short staffed and I had to work nearly full time during school.

There are opportunities for part time employees to work full time through their Associate Modular Training (AMT) program.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stop and Shop Supermarket. Our community is ready to answer.

Stop and Shop Supermarket Reviews by Location