Stop and Shop Supermarket Employee Reviews

Found 2,357 reviews matching the search
not a nice place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washingtonville, NYJuly 11, 2017
stressful and unfair. I would not recommend anyone to work there, you are not appreciated or respected. A lot of work and little pay or compensation otherwise.
Pros
Cons
no respect
This is a good solid company
Front-End Manager (Current Employee) –  West Sayville, NYJuly 11, 2017
This is a solid company that provides union benefits to its employees. They do promote from within, but you may have to put a lot of time into the organization before you receive a very high salary. It is a clean and friendly place to work where people are treated with respect.
Pros
Union job with union benefits
Cons
Usually hire part time workers
Making Customers Happy is Key.
Cashier/Customer Service & Florist (Former Employee) –  Abington, MAJuly 11, 2017
I worked the front end and florist department while I worked for Stop and Shop. It was a good place for high school and college students. Making the customers happy and fixing any problem they might have was enjoyable. I learned how to deal with stressful situations.
Stressful and Unhelpful
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, RIJuly 11, 2017
It was an okay first job, but the customers were rude and the managers expected way too much of us. We worked in a supermarket, not a professional office. There were so many unnecessary rules, like not being able to have water at the registers, or having to constantly look busy or offer to help customers, even when they clearly didn't want our help. The managers didn't care about our lives/schedules outside of work and would constantly schedule me and my coworkers for more hours than we could handle/on days that we had requested off. I felt very unappreciated and constantly stressed out, so I left.
Cons
Short breaks, rude managers, stupid rules, ridiculous customers, digusting environment
Fast unbeat pace
Bagger/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Exeter, NHJuly 11, 2017
I liked working for stop n shop because it always challenged me to work my hardest a reasonable pace. While working here I was a bagger and I pushed around carts. kept me moving.
Pros
good amount of hours
Cons
pushing carts
Ok
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brookline, MAJuly 11, 2017
Work experience is any experience that a person gains while working in a specific field or occupation, but the expression is widely used to mean a type of volunteer work that is commonly intended for young people — often students — to get a feel for professional working environments
safety
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJuly 11, 2017
After being robbed twice at gunpoint in the last two years and increasing robberies to our stores I decided to leave. However I did enjoy meeting new people and the fast paced environment in which I worked. I like training new employees and helping the company to advance by being the best manager that I could be.
Love the people
Cashier/Front End Tagging (Current Employee) –  Killingly, CTJuly 9, 2017
Stop and Shop was my first foray back into working after many years not working because of disability.
I appreciate that they have given me the chance to work with them and know them. My store in particular is smaller, but very active and has a family-like feel to it which is amazing for a large corporation. The manager here is excellent and cares not just about the bottom line, but his employees collectively and individually. The management under him is just as great!
There are always issues in every job environment and it does have areas it needs improvement where co-worker disputes are concerned, but overall this is a great place to work if you don't mind minimum wage.
Pros
family-like acceptance, energetic environment, great management staff, rewards employees for good work regularly
Cons
minimum wage, claims of advancement, but see very little, does nt handle co worker disputes well at all.
Easy
Assassinate Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, TXJuly 9, 2017
Easy to work with the hours i had so i still had a life outside of work and my workers were wonderful. Easy going job over all. Over night whats the hardest with some people
Pros
Hours
Cons
Nigh Shift
boring
Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJuly 8, 2017
When i worked at stop and shop I was about 16 years old, so at that time it was kind of boring for me. The people who worked there were much older than me.
Awful Place to Work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Amesbury, MAJuly 7, 2017
Truly never have I had a more horrible experience. The level of unprofessional workers there are in all stores that I have worked in is too high. The only stars in the store are the other cashiers and the store managers, they are the only people who know what goes on. The supervisors are either just plain stupid or they genuinely have no idea how to do their jobs.
Cons
15 minute break time for 6 hour shifts
Cashier/Customer service
Cashier/Customer Service Department Head (Former Employee) –  West Babylon, NYJuly 7, 2017
This was my first job out of high school, and i loved every minute of it until i started doing work and not getting the credit for it. This where i learned what "doggy dog world" meant. I was doing three different jobs in three different pay scale areas and was not getting the acknowledgment i felt was deserved. It helped me grow to obtain the jobs i have today, i would not change my decision for the three years i worked there.
Busy Days
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hudson, MAJuly 7, 2017
Busy Days, helping customers; doing what needs to be done. Tasks varied every single day. Stressful at times, slow at times. Overall, not a good place to work for some folks.
Pros
Paid Breaks
Cons
Stressful periods of time
Great Benefits
General Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAJuly 6, 2017
It's unionized so the benefits are incredible. Coworkers become friends and it creates a great work environment (for retail anyway). Several opportunities for advancement, however, management isn't union so you have to decide to leave the union.
Not for full time seeker
Cash Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Greenwich, CTJuly 6, 2017
Grocery stores usually are not recognized to begin a career, Stop & Shop is exactly that a passing by job. It's ok as a part time but not ideal for a career or for a full time job.
Great place and experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAJuly 5, 2017
I learned a lot and discovered new skills . This was a great place to learn how to interact with customers and make sure they had a pleasant experience
Pros
Got to interact with people
Cons
Short breaks
Quick paced work place
Bakery Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJuly 5, 2017
Decent place to work, gave good hours most of the time. I leaned how to make all sorts of bakery goods and learned how to decorate cupcakes and cakes. Would recommend to anyone looking for a bakery job.
Great work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wyckoff, NJJuly 5, 2017
I just loved working at stop and shop. I had an accident which made me unable to get there. And they loved me so much at the store they didn't want me to relocate to something closer.Thry said they'll just keep my job open for when I got transpertation.
Pros
Working with genuinely good people
Cons
Short breaks
It is a decent place to work
porter (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 3, 2017
Working at Stop and Shop was a pleasure , a great opportunity and I would like to go back there. I enjoyed working with my co workers and being of service to our Customers.
fun enviroment
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYJuly 2, 2017
A typical day at stop and shop is usually very fun yet busy. As each customer comes to the service desk I greet them and ask what they need help with. I make sure each customer gets what they need and what they came for. The manager has me plug in their store deliveries into the system and all the payments they dealt with each day. The service desk is usually always busy but I always managed to get through it.
Pros
Busy, fun workers, great manager
Cons
loud