Stop and Shop Supermarket

Stop and Shop Supermarket Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,704 reviews matching the search
Horrible don't work there
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Cranston, RIJuly 11, 2016
It's union so you better learn your job in less than sixty seconds or management will send you to another department to get rid of you, they don't really train right they have people who work there tell you how to do things but those people cut corners cause they are so afraid of being slow, I overheard my front end manager saying she would use a cattle prod on me cause I was slow, all management cares about is numbers not people so if you are a robot who works super fast it's for you. Oh yea and you don't get a half hour break for seven hours even at kmart they give you a half at 6 hours. Some of the coldest people I've ever worked with and some of the most immature as well but this is rhode island so maybe elsewhere it's wonderful. I put I don't approve of the ceo cause if management treats me that bad I can imagine what the ceo is like
Pros
NONE I CAN FIND
Cons
EVERYTHING ESPECIALLY TRAINING
Great place, friendly customers, and friendly staff.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAJune 17, 2016
A typical day at work could range based on what was needed for the day. For the most part, it was greeting customers and helping them with their orders. I've learned a lot on how to deal with customers and people all around. Our management teams are excellent and provide a lot of help to other workers. Though most co-workers are friendly, there are always a few that are not so much. The hardest part of the job is being able to keep up with customers. Though the management in some stores can also conflict with you as well. The most enjoyable part of the job was the team that I worked with. I've never met a more friendly staff anywhere else.
Pros
Great benifits, Friendly staff, Friendly managment
Cons
Under staffed at times, Lack of hours in most places.
productive and fun at stop and shop
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Clinton, CTMay 28, 2016
A typical day at work for me is i walk in either get put on a register or i bag then later that night i end up cleaning register or doing small jobs around the store. I learned a lot about working as a team and dealing with customers. Management isn't always the easiest to deal with but you learn how to deal with it. Most of the co-workers are easy to get along with but you have some who like to just start with people for no reason. The hardest part of the job is the fact that we get swamped with customers because we don't have a lot of cashiers on the register but we push through it and get them out as fast as we can. I have to say something i enjoy the most about my job is most of the customers who are so sweet to me and all the great friends i have made working at stop and shop.
Great and Steady hours and benefits
Overnight Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Somerset, NJJune 9, 2016
My typical day at work is breaking down pallets of goods and placing them on the shelves overnight. We put up anything between 200 to 300 pieces a night and them we have to make it presentable for the customers in the morning. That process is called putting a "Block" on the shelves so everything looks uniform, nice, and organized. I've learned that having a system and working with others in a proficient manner makes the job a whole lot easier and less stressful. Management are fine. As long as you do what is required of you, they will not give you any problems. The hardest part of the job isn't really anything different than most jobs meaning, here and there some unexpected things may happen but that doesn't happen often. I enjoy mostly the fact that as a full timer the hours are guaranteed and over time isn't an issue.
Pros
Steady Hours and Over time.
Cons
On some nights not enough people are schedualed.
Bad place
Bagger/Cashier/Produce clerk (Current Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTFebruary 21, 2016
The benefits are not bad but the managers are the worst. They all just bully their way around. Talking to them about an issue doesn't really do much and the store manager makes everyone too uncomfortable to even approach her. Also, they tend to make their employees do more work than they get paid to. It is an unfair place to work and the sad part is we can't to anything ti change that
Upbeat and fun place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milford, MAMay 27, 2016
There wasn't really a typical day at work, maybe that I would punch in then go to the cash register to work but every day was different filled with different customers.

This was my first real job where I learned true customer service, handling money proficiently, cashing checks, the importance of keeping a clean work station, and many more attributes.

The management was very good and any time you had to talk to them about something they would take time and listen to you.

My co-workers were part of what made the job so fun. No matter when I was working, I'd have fun because of the people that were working at that time with me.

The hardest part of the job was around the holidays when it would get super busy in the store, but by the end of the day it was manageable.

The most enjoyable was interacting with customers and being proficient at the job.
Pros
Being a cashier which is the job I ultimately wanted.
Cons
There were really no cons.
Great Customer Service Opportunity
Cashier Department Head/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MAMarch 14, 2016
Working with other employees and customers solving problems at a grocery store. I learned about management of a small group of employees and how to handle and treat customers and employees with respect. Some co-workers could be difficult but learned how to adapt to their styles.
Pros
Customer service experience
Cons
different shifts
Grocery Clerlk
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sandwich, MADecember 19, 2015
Ok for part time extra money. Job can be hard at times. Management differs in every store. Co workers can be OK but lazy. Having to be in Union can be good and bad. Dues are expensive and pay is low.
Pros
Steady work. Flexible schedule.
Cons
Union, low pay and not very many benefits
Community Atmosphere with a learning environment
Cashier/Front End Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amityville, NYMay 23, 2016
A typical day would be to arrive at work on time, dressed properly, and ready to work with the influx of customers that come in and out of the store on a daily basis. I have learned to be responsible for an ample amount of money, to create a learning environment for new employees, and to allow for an easy, stress free shopping experience for our many customers. The management in these stores can be both supportive and willing to work with you, based on which one of the stores you are employed. The hardest part of the job would be learning how to handle difficult situations with unsatisfied customers. This allowed me to use problem solving skills to adhere to their needs based on their preferences. The most enjoyable part of this job is the community feeling you get between the employees. You can come from any background or neighborhood and still feel welcome.
Pros
Very inclusive
Cons
Short breaks
productive place to work
cashier customer service (Current Employee) –  Westport, CTDecember 6, 2015
A typical day at work is dealing with customers and making sure there answers are met to the best of our ability and to alleviate stress on management in different situations that may occur through out the day. I learned good customer service skills that i will use in future jobs and in life. The hardest part of the job is to make sure no customers are stealing items in the store and then approaching the customer while its busy at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help out the customers, while also having a little bit of fun and being relaxed. The management and coworkers at my job are great people to work with because they help me out whenever i need assistance and we just try to make the customers experience at our store a good one that they will remember.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short brakes
Able to communicate well with others
Florist, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJuly 1, 2016
Since Stop and Shop is a local supermarket, the store is relatively busy. Which means handling many things at once. I've learned how to communicate well with others. My co workers are helpful when I need something for my department and if I need their opinion on a floral arrangement I created. The hardest part of the job is worrying about pleasing people with floral arrangements I create. The most enjoyable part of working at a supermarket is everyday there is a new job that has to be done, whether it's working on the register, making floral arrangements, corsages and boutonniers or even cutting fruit in the produce department.
Having the pleasure of making a difference in our customers/associates lives.
Customer Service Manager/Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Belchertown, MAApril 15, 2016
Stop and Shop is a wonderful company to work for. It has given me many experiences in learning how to create a culture that is second to none. To watch our part time associates climb the corporate ladder based on experience. So many times companies/corporations look for college graduates to fill some very important positions in their industry. Stop and Shop not only gives associates opportunities that many companies would never contemplate but promotes success in so many different areas. By creating a positive culture with our associates shows our customers that they are treated with respect and are appreciated every day.
Pros
chances for advancement based on skills, not degrees
Fun But Stressful
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, NYApril 12, 2016
The department Managers are strong minded but don't have enough power. Store Managers are aware of many problems that go thought the store but don't really do enough nor do they show the will to really care or act on these matters which have lead to a lack of help in all departments. Work is standard and pretty straight forward depending on department. Good customer interaction is a must and strict care and a eye for detail is a must so one can meet a customers expectations. Co-workers are expected to get along and help each other when needed. The hardest part of the job is learning all the codes and types of items in the store. The most enjoyable part of the job is the strict work and ever changing environment that comes with the always changing customers.
Pros
Clean and friendly work environment.
Cons
not very direct when it comes to problems.
I loved the environment my co-workers and most of all the customers who put a smile on my face everyday.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Providence, RIOctober 30, 2015
It was a good place to work, management was caring and did give an open ear to what their empolyees had to say and my co-workers were very helpful and competitive with made it a fun place to work.
Pros
Fun work environment with supportive managment
Cons
Random shift where given which made it hard to stick to one schedule
great co-workers
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Keyport, NJJanuary 13, 2016
my typical day at work is very fast paced, i have learned new skills such as operating and cleaning a deli slicer, my management is OK there are some things they can do to improve,my co-workers are great we can all work together and accomplish anything!, the hardest part of the job is when we are short staffed and there is a rush of customers, my job is enjoyable all together but i would say helping the customers is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Fast-paced work place with dedicated management
Counter Sales Floral Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Miller Place, NYFebruary 2, 2016
Many of the skills I learned at Stop and Shop helped make me into a more well-rounded, hard working employee. A typical day involved me setting up my department (getting the register till, unlocking drawers, putting down mats), and balancing both customer interactions with my department duties. It was a job I could easily do alone, but as the store grew busier throughout the day, I felt as if a second hand would have helped me accomplish more tasks.

My co-workers mostly had to be trained, which made it difficult since I would have to stop what I was doing to show them how to do their work, but once they picked it up, most of the hours went smoothly.

The hardest part of the job was the hours on my feet and the customers. That's no fault of Stop and Shop's, however: they can't help what people shop at their stores.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work in a place where I knew the management cared and would listen when needed. Personal reasons demanded that I leave my job at Stop and Shop, and I regret having to leave like I did.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
a shortage of help in my department made it difficult, if not impossible sometimes, to take my breaks.
Convient hours, great staff, clean inverment
Store associate (Current Employee) –  New City, NYJanuary 31, 2016
My typical day at work was busy and enjoyable. I learned how to tear down pallets, put up stock and block the store. Management was pleasant to work for. My co-workers were friendly and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was tearing down pallets. the most enjoyable part of the job was blocking the store.
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
finding where the stoclk went.
Great, supportive management and associates are awesome attributes of the Stop & Shop Corporate Office.
Assisting all pharmacists, technicians and clerks (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAFebruary 14, 2016
The Stop and Shop Corporate Office is a wonderful place to work.
My administrative assistant position was awesome. I worked for hardworking sales managers who always appreciated what I did.

In my Lead Buyer's Assistant Position I was treated as part of the merchandising team as soon as I came aboard. As I mentioned, I was given the opportunity to develop strong, successful relationships with vendors and store management enabling me to be part of very profitable sales margins.

I am now in a Pharmacy Support Position. I have been able to learn two pharmacy systems in 3 years. The Pharmacists that I assist are awesome and always appreciative.

I am grateful to have been able to come back to Stop & Shop after being laid off in 2012 because of a huge company restructure and my position being moved to Carlisle Pa.

Again, I feel that my position is being moved to Carlisle PA. We have finished the pharmacy system conversions and I feel it is only a matter of time until the position shift happens.
Pros
Managers and associates are very helpful and always supportive.
Cons
Company restructures are continually shifting positions to Carlisle PA
Typical Supermarket Job
Cashier/Grocery (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYJuly 10, 2016
Basic Supermarket Job. Did cashier work and stocking and leveling. Worked with customers and had to help them when needed. A good job to have in High School. Didn't offer much but it was a secure job, the management didn't get involved too much with individuals. There really wasn't a culture. However the co-workers were great and the job wasn't that hard. Met many different people. Job was hard as a cashier because of the long hours involving standing. However it was my first job, it was easy to do and got me into the workforce.
Pros
Easy, Good Start, Great Scheduling
Cons
Lots of Standing
The company has gone downhill.
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Southbury, CTMay 18, 2016
I started working for the company when I was 16 years old. The older I got, and the more experience I got there, the more I realized what is actually needed to make a business successful with happy employees. As time went on, I realized that if you see the person above you, who is setting the example, starts to not care, it doesn't inspire people to go above and beyond the job.
I have to get out of there, but I need a job. The environment that the company has set up is poor.
Pros
Fun environment with a rich diversity in people
Cons
Too many to list, but main is a lot of people don't take their job seriously.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stop and Shop Supermarket. Our community is ready to answer.

Stop and Shop Supermarket Reviews by Location