Stop and Shop Supermarket

Stop and Shop Supermarket Employee Reviews

Found 1,288 reviews matching the search
old stop & shop
cashier (Former Employee) –  Beverly, MANovember 12, 2015
Little pay for all you did there.
How to stock items.
Some management was terrible.
Loved my coworkers.
The hardest part was some of the physical labor.
Easier part was talking to customers.
Pros
coworkers, healthcare
Cons
short breaks, management, personal growth
fast pace hard work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 12, 2015
if you like hard work fast pace places to work this is one of them the typical work day consisted of taking orders for big events tables chairs popcorn machine and all they have. co workers keep to they self only thing i didn't like but they got the job done hardest part is find and getting the items on the truck in a timely manner
very productive
Shift Leader/Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MANovember 12, 2015
a typical day at work consist of checking to make sure all my cash registers were at the right amount of cash to start an end make sure all my cashiers had their breaks on time, make sure the front desk had the right amount of money for loans etc. I also did western unions returns scratch tickets etc. Loved all my co-workers easy to get along with an worked well together. most enjoyable part was being able to resolve customers problems with pricing, coupons etc
Great for high school children
Cashier & Customer Service desk consultant (Former Employee) –  Monroe, CTNovember 10, 2015
Working for stop and shop has taught me that there is definitely more to life than stop and shop. If you are in high school it is perfect for you. But once you're over the age of 20, they do not care about helping you.
Deli SuperMarket
Deli/ Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Providence, RINovember 10, 2015
My typical day at work was really busy hardworking. I learned alot how to cut meat. The manger was really great and i learned alot of experience in the job. The hardest part was finding the meat and cheese and the most enjoyable part of the job was cutting the meats and cheese
Entry level job
Customer Service Department Head (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTNovember 9, 2015
Great entry level job for students in high school and college. Definite opportunity to grow into a management position later on.
Quiet place to work and think
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Stratford, CTNovember 8, 2015
Not too bad if you like being alone and just getting work done. Overnight schedule pretty good nights go by fast. co workers are ok guys I was just younger then them.
Pros
Quiet workpalce
Cons
Not much communication and I like being social
Fair
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newport, RINovember 7, 2015
Corporate mindset with little focus on team mentality. There is a tone of sensitiveness toward employees but doesn't really translate into the day-to-day work place.
Pros
Sensitive to S/P days
Cons
Low wages and lack of benefits and incentives
A Great Place to Work
Cashier, pushing carts (Current Employee) –  Dayville, CTNovember 7, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers and managers around me are very nice. The company strides on making the customer and its workers happy.
Pros
Time flexable
Cons
part time at slightly above minimum wage
Management is never quite sure what your duties are...
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYNovember 4, 2015
& so you are never given them properly. On my first day I was left to do a closing shift with another new employee, both of us having ABSOLUTELY NO TRAINING, & not being told we were supposed to also work in seafood. Needless to say, the disorganization didn't stop there, if you attempt to call out there is a chance no one will answer your call, you're constantly being shuffled between management, & your hours are ALWAYS changing despite your availability. Some of the employees are kinda cool, but it's honestly not worth it.
Cons
Literally Everything.
Great company
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTNovember 4, 2015
great company and great hours. I enjoyed working with my co workers. I learned a lot from this employer. I would recommend this company for employment.
Pros
hours
Cons
travel
Growth with the company
Customer Service Department Head (Current Employee) –  Arverne, NYNovember 3, 2015
There are lots of oppurtunities for advancement within the company. It is a fast paced and diverse environment, great place to work if you love customer service and retail.
Cons
Short Breaks
Pretty cool people to work with
Cashier, Sales Associate, Pick up associate (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MANovember 3, 2015
Standing all day
Dealing with demanding customers
Fast paced environment
customer service
Basic math skills
Attentiveness
Pros
Union
Cons
Short breaks
It was steady employment
Assistant Deli Manager (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTNovember 2, 2015
I had to learn quickly how to run a deli department and had very little support. Teamwork was almost non existent and despite promotional promises it took over a year to gain. Made the best of a tough work environment. Overall no regrets.
Pros
Kept me employed
Cons
Teamwork
Overall not to pleasant to work there but at least its steady.
Cashier, Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ringwood, NJNovember 2, 2015
The pay isn't great and the union is terrible but it's good for a student or someone who is in a tight spot. The people who work there are great though.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No benefits until you work 5 years, and the pay is rough
Stop and Shop
Bagger (Former Employee) –  Revere, MANovember 2, 2015
A typical day is collecting carts and bagging food. Easy tasks. Co-workers are easy to get along with. Management was fair to everyone.
Average supermarket filled with drama
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYNovember 1, 2015
My co-workers were great people and I still maintain friendships with some of them to this day. The management however was a different story, they treated you like you were less then people and tried to get you to do jobs that you were not hired for. That usually isn't a problem for me and I don't mind helping at all. I was hired to be a cashier but at the end of certain days I would work in the bakery, dairy department and be a custodian all at once. However I was hired with a certain availability because of the school and they understood that upon hiring me. They repeatedly asked me to cover for other people during scheduled class time and when I told them I couldn't because of school my hours were cut the week after that, this went on for a while.
Cons
Don't make this company your life.
Cake Technician (Current Employee) –  Hadley, MAOctober 30, 2015
It's a good company to work for if you are in high school or collage, or need a simple part time job. The opportunity for advancement is, let's say, less then ideal. The management team only works with you when it's convenient for them. They don't really seem to care if you advance or can pay your bills. The wage is non-negotiable even though they say it is. You can bust your butt and still get written up for something small. I have been in this company for 7 years and after trying to go full time for about 4 months now, I have gotten nowhere. For a serious job, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.
Pros
They can't really fire you because of the union.
Cons
Not really good for advancement.
I loved the environment my co-workers and most of all the customers who put a smile on my face everyday.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Providence, RIOctober 30, 2015
It was a good place to work, management was caring and did give an open ear to what their empolyees had to say and my co-workers were very helpful and competitive with made it a fun place to work.
Pros
Fun work environment with supportive managment
Cons
Random shift where given which made it hard to stick to one schedule
learned to deal with customers
Meat department Associate (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYOctober 26, 2015
It was a typical day at work. Got along great with customers, and even filled in when the manager wasn't in by using the computer and placing orders an keeping track of inventory. My co workers were great we all worked as a team, and enjoyed working there.
Pros
liked talking to customers
Cons
sometimes not enough employees