Stop and Shop Supermarket

1.3K reviews

Stop and Shop Supermarket Employee Reviews

Found 1,284 reviews matching the search
Productive always something to do
Customer Service /Cashier/ SELF SCAN CLERK (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 22, 2015
Working at this company I have learned a couple new things about me. I am constantly enganging with different types of people all day which helps my verbal skills and also being more personable with people. I became a leader early when I was given the responsibility to watch the store for hours in the day. Also being the supervisor of people much older than me was a good lesson for me because it helps you learn how to work with different types of people.
Pros
Flexible Hours that fit my school schedule
Cons
There is no career for me here.
dont like it
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Granby, CTOctober 21, 2015
I don't like the store. They don't pay enough. It is to close to my house. I hate that the job is so easy.,it is not fun. Management is not cool. Lots of harassment.
Pros
it is very close to my house
Cons
it is very close to my house
Good work place,
Stockperson, Customer Service, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTOctober 21, 2015
Good work place, flexible hours . you learned how to work as a team and with other co - workers on a task. It gives a lot of chances to work your way up in job.
Pros
discount on items
Cons
short brakes
Challenging and exciting work place
Franchise Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 20, 2015
I would make sure all the invoices are up to date, check on employees make sure they have all they need to start their shift, make calls to distributors to verify all purchases and make sure the store is being ran in a proper manner.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Healthcare
energetic workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 19, 2015
not very easy to move up in this company sales were easy to follow co workers were very friendly and easy to get along with.
This is a good starter job for people who need to get into the workforce.
Dairy Clerk/Pick Up Point Clerk (Current Employee) –  East Islip, NYOctober 19, 2015
I feel that this company is a good job for someone who wants to learn about what great customer service is. Overall I feel that working for this company taught me a lot of good things. I have learned many skills when it comes to working and dealing with the public at the same time. A day at work would consist of many things going on at the same time. The amount of work would depend on what day of the week it was. Our weekends are very busy which meant more work to do, and our middle weekdays were slower so sometimes there was a little less work, But we used that to our advantage and caught up on things that needed to be done. I sometimes felt that management would be a bit harsh at times. I have seen enough at this place to know when they cross the line. Other employees here are fantastic, We really stuck together and were always on the same page and we all got things done. The hardest part of my job is going back and fourth between two things at once. As a Pick Up Point attendant, I would often be working in another department at the same time(Usually Dairy) Bouncing back and fourth all day, managing what's going on outside, and helping out inside when I could. I felt the overall experience here is good for someone who wants to experience working with the public and excelling in customer service.
Pros
Employee discounts, flexible scheduling, union workshop
Cons
poor benefits(if any) mistreatment form management
Stop and Shop
Over night clerk (Former Employee) –  Abington, MAOctober 18, 2015
Overnight started at 12pm , I've learned how to stock shelves for groceries and how to unload pallets and sort them. hardest part of the job is finishing to store when you are short of staff. The most enjoyable part honestly is getting everything done.
Good job
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Manchester, CTOctober 18, 2015
Upbeat store managers are good to work with. Everybody get along pretty good. Everyday we are always busy no matter what people love our daily sales
Pros
time in half on sundays
Cons
short breaks
Fun atmosphere
deil clerk, prep cook, seafood clerk (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTOctober 16, 2015
In 2006 when i was first hired it was a great company to work for. Plenty of hours as a part time employee i could average 35 hours a week. After about 3 years thats when the cut backs begain. I went from 35 hours average to 25 the 20 then 15 not just me but the majority of the part time staff. Then they evently took away the health care for all the part timers.
Pros
guarantee 15 hours a week good health care
Cons
health care and no hours
great working environment
Grocery Cashier (Former Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYOctober 16, 2015
busy busy busy but if you like fast paced work this is a job for you and the coworkers are great and and the managers are hands on with their staff
it was average
night crew (Former Employee) –  sparta njOctober 15, 2015
i had a hard work load but i did it and got throw the day i didint learn anything really because i already have good people skills and it was mostly lifting
Great Place to work /was like a family
Bakery Manager, Florist Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, New HampshireOctober 15, 2015
I worked there for 10 years and it became my second family. Management & employees were both great people. I would of still been there if they didnt close down the 7 stores in NH.
Involvement Experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montville, CTOctober 15, 2015
A typical day at work would include being assigned to a register, ringing in the transaction, accepting cash, checks, cards, and government assistance, and bagging their groceries all at a steady pace. I learned that patience is key with this particular position. The management was always so busy that when I needed them to approve of a coupon it sometimes took up to 5 minutes but this provided me the opportunity to engage in conversation to improve my customer service skills. All of my co-workers were very easy to work with because we all had the same positive outlook on our jobs. The hardest part of the job was to keep all the customers happy when they have been waiting in line for over 30 minutes during a rush but when I started ringing in their items, no one ever got mad at me because I remained happy, energetic, and engaged in conversation which relieved the tension. The most enjoyable part of the job was to have the customers leave with a smile and when they came back they wanted to wait in my line just to have me wait on them.
Pros
Union job.
Cons
Short Breaks.
I worked as a cashier, in the office counting cash from cash draws and was a front end supervisor.
Cashier, Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Woonsocket, RIOctober 15, 2015
I was a front end supervisor for this grocery store. I also helped out as a cashier and worked in the office counting the cash draws of the employees. The best part of this job was meeting customers and working with great co workers. The only difficult part of the job was when we were short staffed.
Pros
Helping customers and working with great people
Cons
Being short staffed at times.
Unfair working hours
Peapod (Former Employee) –  Riverhead, NYOctober 14, 2015
At Stop and Shop there was unfair working hours. It wasn't fair to me since i am a full time college student.you were in a separate location then the store and you shopped for people who ordered food online.
Pros
paid brakes
Cons
unfair working hours
Fun & Productive
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJOctober 14, 2015
Typical day at work was a steady flow and getting along with my co workers. I learned good hands on skills in inventory, picking & packing, and being a good team player in assisting other co workers. managing a clean and safe environment. My co workers were good team players. We worked together very well and finished assignments at a good pace. Hardest part on the job is when there is no communication and lack of structure. Most enjoyable part on the job was when we worked together and learning how to adjust to complicated situations.
Pros
good work atmosphere, good people, and supportive management
Cons
more hours
productive work place
deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Ridgewood, NJOctober 14, 2015
productive work place wonderful managers wonderful co workers also love the experience it gives you so that u can progress in the world teaches you new things.
Pros
great experience
Cons
pay and hours
good for high school kids
Gas station clerk, Lot Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stratford, CTOctober 14, 2015
in my opinion it was a ok job but didnt last for long pay wasn't great and hours sucked but a job is a job. if the pay was better i would of stayed
review
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 12, 2015
Nice place to work
Nice work culture
Coworkers were nice
Management were very nice and cared about your needs.
Developed better patience in handling and helping customers.
Very busy and productive
Assistant Customer Service Department Head (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 11, 2015
I learned that my job is about keeping my customers happy and shopping with our company. In the 12 years of being employed with the company I have met a lot of diverse people and that is what I enjoy most about my job, especially when I can make them laugh or at the least crack a smile. I know that everyone has a bad day, and when one of my customers are experiencing one along with something going wrong with there shopping visit I try my hardest to make sure they leave the store satisfied. For the most part I have fun at work not only with my fellows employees, but also with the customers. I gain relationships with a lot of the customers, and a lot of them enjoy coming in to see me.