Stop and Shop Supermarket
1,030 reviews

Stop and Shop Supermarket United States Employee Reviews

Grocery store
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee), Coventry, RIJanuary 20, 2015
Great co-workers, and great working environment.
Typical day consists of decorating cakes and cupcakes, or baking bread, cookies, pies and other sweet goods, or doing a nightly set up getting breads, pastries, muffins etc ready to be baked in the morning and then cleaning table tops and washing the floor.
fun
Responsibility - Sales Associate (Former Employee), Waterbury, CTJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: fun
Cons: na
It was a fun work environment. All associates got along in a family friendly way.
Productive and fun working in a super market.
Manager (Former Employee), Darien, CTJanuary 19, 2015
On a typically day in a retail environment there was always something new and engaging to learn. I wanted to learn every aspect of the business with the help of management they ensured a new tasked was learned every day. During my day I engaged with my customers and employees to build rapport with them with that had a very strong team. My favorite part of the day was helping and or making a difference with company a customers or and an employee. The worst part of my day was throwing out the garbage in the compactor.
Cashier (Former Employee), Clifton, NJJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: friendly customers
Cons: wages
Multi-tasking between positions.
Customer overflow 4 times a week.
Management are friendly and helpful.
20+ Years and still going
Clerk (Current Employee), Western MassachusettsJanuary 15, 2015
I've been with S&S for 20 + years. It has been a good career and pays well. Working retail can be very stressful at times. It's not for everyone.
Fun workplace,
Cash Department Head (Former Employee), South Yarmouth, MAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: management appreciation.
Cons: short breaks and not getting overtime.
I would come in and greet everyone on the front end. I would start by getting my keys and balancing the Podium draw. Look over my lineup and check for who is coming in and who is leaving and when. I would get on a register myself to clear lines that might appear. Start someone to take returns around. I learned to get along with all types of people. Learned to take a good look at myself , hopefully to correct any flaws that might appear. My Front end manger Sue, was the greatest person I could ever know. We had fun as well as worked. Most co-workers were good, some were like children and I had to coax them to due their job. The hardest part of the job was dealing with a difficult customer and knowing your limits and when to call for help. The most enjoyable part of the job was working and helping people.
Culture of the position was positive and friendly
Service Clerk (Former Employee), North Dartmouth, MAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: friendly work atmosphere
Cons: less income
Friendly work environment.
Proactive management
Favorable benefits
Flexible work schedule

Unfortunately the income was lower than my need and kept me from allowing to continue with the position,
Stop and Shop
Assistant store manager (Current Employee), Enfield, CTJanuary 14, 2015
A great company to work for. Plenty of room to advance. Great people and a great atmosphere to shop. This company really strives for the superior customer experience.
Greeting people and helping
Service Desk Clerk (Former Employee), East Hartford, CTJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: short breaks
Working at the service desk I worked with Western Union, Lotto Machine, handling returns, Money Orders. While working behind the service desk I learn to move at a fast but not making a mistake. Making sure I give the customer in front of me my attention, but not ignoring the customers inline. Behind the service desk was two workers. You must know how to work well with others and be respectful at all times. The hardest part about the job that there would be times that I'm working behind the service desk and there is a long line of customers waiting for me to get to them. I learn I had to maintain my cool and let them customers know I will get to them shortly even if a customer was not in a good mood and they give me nothing but attitudes just to keep a smile on my face and help them with anything that they need. I enjoyed helping people if they was coming to play lotto just knowing maybe today I sell a big winning ticket or if a customer just went through a cashier line but they scan 1 item 3 times and there upset just fixing the issue and apologizing so they can leave the store with a better attitude.
Would not Recommend
Cashier (Former Employee), Toms River, NJJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: the customers
Cons: management
This is only a good job to have through high school or the start of college.
Many employees lost benefits after having worked years to earn them.
Good place to work for people entering work force.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee), Wethersfield, CTJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: five percent off
Cons: short breaks under payed
As a starting job all employees are treated fairly and equally but after a few years it gets old. The management are good people who work hard. Hardest part is dealing with rude customers and best part is being able to help customers.
Clerk
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee), Holyoke, MAJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: no free time
Cons: thirty minute break
I've worked with customers and prep their orders and also worked as a team player on helping other employers.
Great Job, but need enough money to save for retirement
Porter/Maintenance (Current Employee), New Rochelle, NYJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: no education experience required
Cons: lots of physical work as one grows older
I have worked at this job for 15 years, and my managers and supervisors really like me, but I need to evolve my career into something different.
fun workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Vernon Rockville, CTJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: discounts on food, points on card
Cons: short breaks
Very pleasant atmosphere, Ive learned cashier, how to give polite service to customers and to handle bad and good customers, i learned how to do checks, wic, and i learned about different products of the supermarket and were items go and how to do price checks on foods. My coworkers were very friendly,polite,nice and hard workers, they provided good team work. The hardest part of the job was dealing with mean customers.The most enjoyable part of my job was working with fun employees and doing cashier.
great for college students
sales associate (Former Employee), Toms River, NJJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: management
i used to fill online grocery orders. most of my coworkers have become my best friends. management changed all the time. in one year we had 10 different managers. most only came in for a pay check. not very effective in encouraging employees. The hardest part was my managers not caring and when i was laid off. The most enjoyable part was the many friendships I made and getting to work with some great people.
eh
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee), 06770January 8, 2015
It sucked.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Sales/ Stock/ Cashier (Former Employee), Greenwich, CTJanuary 7, 2015
Being around customers all the time was a great experience and being able to cook here and there was relaxing and enjoyable
Market Leader
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Whitman, MAJanuary 5, 2015
Fast paced, Market leader, Strong management team, motivated peers
A Basic Job
Cash Office Manager (Former Employee), Washingtonville, NYJanuary 5, 2015
I was able to move quickly trough the ranks and worked in several department during employment. I felt under compensated for the services I provided and had limited flexibility as I moved up within the company. There was often staff shortages and high turnover for front-line and upper management positions.
very understanding management
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), New Bedford, MAJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: management
Cons: carriages and season change.
Management was awesome i was going to school they were giving me hours around my schedule of school i needed a transfer to fall river they gave it to me i don't have anything negative to say about the company.

About Stop and Shop Supermarket

Stop & Shop operates over 375 stores throughout 7 states including: Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, – Read more

Stop and Shop Supermarket Salaries

$9.00 per hour

Stop and Shop Supermarket Photos

WORK IS LIKE A DREAM COME TRUE
WORK WAS LIKE A DREAM COME TRUE
Great place to work and make new friends