Stop and Shop Supermarket

1.1K reviews

Stop and Shop Supermarket Employee Reviews

Fun work enviroment
Assistant Customer Service Department Head (Former Employee), East Brunswick, NJMay 13, 2015
Cons: union
Was a great environment. I learned a lot about audits, organization, and the hard work it takes to open a new store. I had a great experience overall and would not have left if i wasn't offered a better position at a higher rate.
Good first part time job with security
Cashier/ Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Bristol, CTMay 12, 2015
Pros: raises, union job, certain benefits
Cons: short breaks
As a first job, it definitely helped me about going through each semester of college so it has its pros and cons but overall, a good experience. Being a union job, there is security for your position which is all nice and the raises every few months are also good. I learned basic skills regarding customer service and always had proper training in any department I entered. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with good people and helping out those in need. The hardest part at the same time was certain customers and the degree of difficulty they had with communicating efficiently or politely. For the most part my co-workers were positive and helpful in helping me succeed in the company and management always kept a watchful eye of your progression as an employee.
Bakery was a great team to work with.
Bakery Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee), Whiting, NJMay 12, 2015
Pros: own schedule to an extent
Cons: management
The only issue I ever had with Stop & Shop was the store management. They belittled you are and treated you like you had no clue how to do your job. My bakery manager was a very informative and loving person. One of the best bosses I've ever had.
Welcoming and warm environment
Cashier, Cart Duty, Shelf Stocker (Former Employee), Somerville, MAMay 12, 2015
Pros: discounts
Cons: short breaks
First clock in downstairs, then go let the floor manager know you are here, then you'll be assigned a job to do. My coworkers were friendly and welcoming, always came in to get the job done.
My stop and shop
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Arlington, MAMay 11, 2015
When started, things were promised with advancement potential. They did stick to that. But after a few years they changed their tune. They were cutting hours from the full timers and cutting down on benefits. They went back on what they provided with the full timers like myself. I am sorry to have to leave after 18 years. It was with everybody.
Horrible
CASHIER (Former Employee), Islandia, NYMay 11, 2015
It is a job that caters to the Caucasian demographic. Customers walk in with an attitude. Management is all over the place. Not a good establishment plus they rob you with there prices you think its a deal but its not.
Non Perishable Manager
Non-Perishable Manager (Former Employee), Morris Plains, NJMay 8, 2015
MOD opening cash office systems get store ready for customs.Go over productivity with Night Crew.
Review any issues left from previous manager
Send all daily reports to DM office
Good place to work friendly atmosphire
Stock Person (Former Employee), Newark, NJMay 5, 2015
Once I get there I would be assigned isle which I was in charge of to restock the merchandise. I learned how to read order numbers for the merchandise. Management was alright they would help you out if you needed help. Was just getting to it the distance it was from my house. Was my day off.
Not a great workplace
Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Deer Park, New YorkMay 5, 2015
My typical day at work is to serve customers the best way i can, rotate stock and maintain a clean and healthy workplace. I did learn the basic tools needed to fufill any job necessary.
Stop and Shop was a great place to work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Swampscott, MAMay 4, 2015
Pros: Flexible Schedule, Realistic demands, Friendly work environment
Stop and Shop created a valuable experience for me. It was my first job and the constant activity helped me build a strong work ethic. I dealt with many happy customers and of course a few not so happy customers. Adjusting to the work environment was easy due to the fact that my co-workers were welcoming and happy to help me learn the ins and outs of the Stop and Shop community. I was very disappointed when personal reasons prevented me from working and earning a promotion. I had a steady schedule that fit with my availability and allowed me to accomplish with many of my goals in my personal life. I would do it over if I could.
Great company
Night Crew Supervisor (Former Employee), CTMay 4, 2015
Worked over night.
Learned how to manage people get the best out of them.
Best part was gratification the job was done right.
Fun Workplace
CHECKOUT CASHIER (Former Employee), Bristol, CTMay 4, 2015
My first Job. Loved it. Worked as a cashier then moved to 3rd shift. Loved Meeting new People and talking to Customers. Wish I could Have stayed there but I needed more Hours.
Good part-time job for High School/ College kids.
Grocery Night Clerk (Former Employee), Coventry, RIMay 1, 2015
Pros: Decent breaks
Cons: Transfer required promotion to full-time if hired part-time
There is a high demand for good store appearance for all grocery shifts, especially the night crew. As a night crew member you are responsible for loading the next days inventory for the whole department with a team of 3-6 other guys on a normal night (with potential various work ethics). The crew chief is in charge for the night, who is normally the most seasoned employee of the crew. Crew chief holds the store keys for deliveries and oversees everything. On rare occasion it seemed we were legitimately unsupervised all night; which has it's pros and cons but for the most part it worked this way. The hardest part of the job is learning how to not strain yourself in some way due to heavy lifting of up to 60 lbs, and repetitive movements (I personally suffered from carpel tunnel syndrome from opening and averaged 400 boxes a night). The best part of the job is when you're done spotting the grocery load, and get to start stocking your aisle. You can listen to music, podcast or something of your preference whilst stocking, and really forget you're even working. I'll give it to the management that they try to work with you on some level to accommodate your personal needs, but seeing as it's a major grocery chain you can only expect so much. They expect you to work when they need you to work weekly, and only if you prove yourself and scratch their back will they in return scratch yours.
good place to work part time
Front End Cashier (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 1, 2015
Pros: five percent employee discount. weekly paycheck.
Cons: very short breaks, only one 15 minute break per four hour shift, standing on your feet all day, management wants you to be constantly busy.
It is a good place to work part time. If it's your main job you will be exhausted. Some days are insanely busy with customers.You do get a discount on everything in the store. Management always wants you to go and get more customers and get more sales.
so so
Clerk (Current Employee), Coram, NYApril 30, 2015
Good first job would not make a career out of it. Yes at times enjoyable but to much drama behind the scenes. Many years of service but one slip they will get rid of you no questions asked.
we sometimes have a employee day where they order take out food for the employees
Bagger/Cashier (Current Employee), Springfield, MAApril 30, 2015
Pros: 15 min break, paid vacations, personal holadays, union
Cons: trying to help rude customers.
well I punch in to work as a bagger,I bag items help out customers. As a cashier/gas station I approve gas help customers.I have learned alot over 16 years how to bag, handle customers be nice to them, how to ring a register at gas station,etc. Management is good to the employees. I like my co-workers.The hardest part of the job is trying to help rude customers to the best of my abilities. the best part of the job is knowing you did a good job a much as I can
Well organized work environment
Head Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Miller Place, NYApril 29, 2015
Stop and Shop made sure that all of their stores met certain requirements and a level of quality control. Customers always came first and always felt at home when they were shopping at Stop and Shop.
I ENJOY WORKING
DRIVER /DELIVERY (Former Employee), Watertown, MAApril 28, 2015
Pros: FREE LUNCH
Cons: HEALTHCARE
I LOVE TO DO A GREAT JOB AS ALWAYS SO I CAN LOOK GOOD AND MY MANAGER AS WELL. I HAVE A GREAT PERSONALITY AND I TREAT ALL CUSTOMER AND COWORKER WITH RESPECT
good job to work at
Overnight Night Crew Freight Team (Current Employee), Danbury, CTApril 27, 2015
Pros: making money
Cons: people
a typical day at wok ever gets boring always fast paced and alot of things to do great place for someone to start a career path
Good for early work experience
Cash Office Clerk (Current Employee), Wanaque, NJApril 27, 2015
Plenty of opportunities to advance, but the higher up you go the more time you will be away from family and friends.

Good team environment
Lack of support from corporate to the retail stores
Not enough resources to properly do job.