Stop and Shop Supermarket

Stop and Shop Supermarket Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,706 reviews matching the search
The company has gone downhill.
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Southbury, CTMay 18, 2016
I started working for the company when I was 16 years old. The older I got, and the more experience I got there, the more I realized what is actually needed to make a business successful with happy employees. As time went on, I realized that if you see the person above you, who is setting the example, starts to not care, it doesn't inspire people to go above and beyond the job.
I have to get out of there, but I need a job. The environment that the company has set up is poor.
Pros
Fun environment with a rich diversity in people
Cons
Too many to list, but main is a lot of people don't take their job seriously.
Its a great starting company
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTMay 16, 2016
cash management
running the front-end
very fast paced and challenging
great, safe atmosphere
helping customers with their day to day needs
Chance to be creative
Florist (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAMay 16, 2016
Working in the florist department was an incredible experience. I was able to take care of flowers, and I developed a love for them. This was my chance to be creative, and I was constantly gaining knowledge about different flowers. I was able to make customer's days with every bouquet or arrangement I put together, big or small. I was never unhappy at work, which is why I stayed for so long. I eventually quit to study abroad.
Pros
sick pay, vacation pay, employee discount
Cons
union rules: no tips even when I felt my coworkers or I deserved them
Fun
Cashier and Customer Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Peekskill, NYMay 16, 2016
The people that work there are great. Nice job to have in high school and they are very flexible with hours so it is very good.
Pay isn't enough
Cashier/Gas Operator (Former Employee) –  Shelton, CTMay 14, 2016
Its not likely you will move up if you are a college student because they want people who have no other goals in their life to work for them. The pay is minimum wage and you're part of a union so you don't get much of a raise. No health benefits.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no healthcare, low pay
A good place to work
Deli Counter Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Somerset, MAMay 14, 2016
Stop and Shop has proved to be resource for me in that its taught me more about hard work then I had learned from any previous job. If you put the work in, you will be rewarded personally.
Pros
Giving kids samples to make them happy
Cons
Difficult work environment
Excellent place to work.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Richmond, RIMay 13, 2016
Co-workers are enjoyable
Training on new equipment and procedures
Flexible hours
Enjoy working with the public
Management listens to your comments
Great place to work for
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Raritan, NJMay 13, 2016
Great people to work for and with, we had fun but we also got the job done. Management was wonderful people you could talk to and they wanted your in put.
Pros
Flexible Shifts
Cons
On your feet all day
Productive and encouraging
Seafood Clerk (Current Employee) –  East Lyme, CTMay 12, 2016
the management staff is encouraging and willing to help you succeed. flexible hours and willing to work with most availabilities. surrounded by unique and enjoyable teams. opportunities to relocate and move up in the company are offered often. real team players.
Pros
union, flexible hours, relocating possibilities, promotion possibilities
Cons
union, short breaks
calm, productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MAMay 10, 2016
was a very calm job, they worked with my hours since I was still in school. learned how to be quick and work with money. learned great costumer service.
Front End Supervisor
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Fairfield, CTMay 9, 2016
Handled responsibilities leading a front end team and provided excellent customer service. Supervised others and balanced cash drawers as well as dropping money in the safe.
Fun place to work as a teenager.
Cashier and Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, NYMay 4, 2016
Fun work place, great staff. Daily tasks are split amongst coworkers. Great management team. Learn how to handle cash and work for a fast paced environment.
Pros
Great hours. Good pay. Easy tasks.
Cons
None.
simple job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  massachusettsMay 4, 2016
it was a really simple job, no one complain about it. it was easy because you did not have many responsabilities just keep focous on your task
Pros
so simple
Cons
ruotine
well like to work theere
sales associate/cashier (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 3, 2016
operated cash register handling cash and credit payment counted & balance cash draw stocked shelved delivered items onto sale floor
Pros
lunch when i can
Cons
breaks when i can
excellent training programs
Frozen Food Manager (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYApril 28, 2016
Excellent Community
- Reasonable Hours and Pay
- Inter-department help is a plus
- Copious resources available for your success
- Union ensures small raises from time to timee
Cons
n/a
This is not a hard job but its a job, its not my ideal job, not making my career .
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pawtucket, RIApril 27, 2016
My typical day is I stand in one place I ring out people after people, I ask how is your day? Do you have Stop and Shop Card if not I'll put one in for you, Do you have any coupons if not i have some for you that is really all for about 4 or 5 hours long and i can't even exceed 15 hours i need to keep 20 hours for daycare. That is the biggest down fall. I do really love my managers tho, they all try very hard to accommodate every one's needs.
Pros
the most part I do get the time off when need
Cons
I just need more hours, (wished it to be a salon)
Fun place to work
HR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAApril 26, 2016
Customer Service

Responsible for maximizing store sale and profits

Great management crew

Enjoyable co-workers

Learned a great deal about running a business in the retail industry
Pros
Learned business acumen
cashier & produce clerk
cashier/ produce clerk (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTApril 22, 2016
a typically day at work set up the salad bar, then do orders for pea pod, and cleaned my station and the rest of the time i did rewraps and going up to front of the store to ring peoples groceries. the hardest part of my job was watching people put items back because they didn't have enough money. the most enjoyable part of my job was knowing time was close of going home.
Pros
had a job
Cons
didn't get hours
Part-time, few hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAApril 21, 2016
They don't give you enough hours. They really could care less about their employees and have a computer program the weekly schedule. The computer varies shifts constantly and gives people as short a shift as possible. However, the managers are all nice and there is a nice work culture.
Typical retail environment
Closing Manager (Current Employee) –  New JerseyApril 21, 2016
The company overall means well but lately is more concerned with the bottom line and less concerned with the proper way to expand the business or retain the established consumer base. Upper management is lacking to the support of the operational managers and squeeze the ability to function and grow the business for better revenue or brand recognition - this inability at above store level trickles down into the hourly management. With a good store management team there is a lot of opportunity to grow within the confines of the store; multiple job functions are available to increase hours but due to reactive internal policies and budgetary restrictions, the stores often are short staffed putting unneeded pressure on the current work staff. Moving from part time to full time in house is nearly impossible. Programs do exist, but many retail veterans in the store 5+ years are often driven out with promises of full time but rarely granted. For the part time workers, the incentives that once made the job worthwhile have been stripped, such as healthcare and better pay for certain functions. The company is not bad to work for once in the exempt roles if you are in a store that performs decently, if you are in a low volume store there is a lack of company investment both financially and district managerial support.
Pros
With a good management team: there is a lot of cross training, consistent pay.
Cons
Lacking suitable healthcare options for employees, unrealistic objectives set by regional management, slow to promote, under compensated.

Stop and Shop Supermarket Reviews by Location