Stop and Shop Supermarket

1.2K reviews

Stop and Shop Supermarket Employee Reviews

great job for anyone
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Hamden CTJune 10, 2015
This is a great place for aspiring young individuals to begin their careers at and use as a stepping stone to build their careers even higher.
Very Hard Schedule
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), WaterburyJune 10, 2015
Pros: close to home
Cons: Schedule
Job at Stop & Shop wasn't hard but the Schedule for Managers was so unpredictable that a personal life was virtually impossible.

The turn over is extremely high and they really do not invest a lot of time into training and staff development.
Overall it has been a good experience.
BookKeeper/Pharmacy Assistant/ Baker/Customer Serv (Current Employee), Hackensack, NJJune 9, 2015
Pros: Occasional free lunches, good attitudes, Chances for change in department
Cons: Short breaks, Took away health insurance, management transfers
I've worked for Stop and Shop for five years now. Overall it has been a good experience. I was given many opportunities to try all different departments, and do to positive comments, I feel I succeeded when put in those positions. The management was usually good and most had good attitudes which made the day work out smoother. The only thing is that there were mandatory transfers and we would have new management every few months with changing rules. I've learned a lot with Super Stop and Shop and after experiencing most departments would like to further my career.
Fast Paced work environment
Front End Cashier (Current Employee), Hartford, CTJune 9, 2015
Work geared towards the public. Fast paced environment with quick turnaround. Rotating shifts a plus. Work at your convienence.
Stop and Shop
Store Clerk & Maintenance Inspector (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJune 8, 2015
- I learned how to be more respectful to others.

- A typical day i would pack out and face the products.

- My managements are hard work people who want the job and are very respectful and easy to cooperate.

- My coworkers are very respectful and hardworking people they come and do the job and leave when they are schedule

- My hardest part of the job is unloading the truck onto the floor for the night crew to pack out.

- The most enjoyable part of my job is speaking to the various people and learning new things everyday.
Fast paced work with a price
Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee), Toms River, NJJune 3, 2015
Pros: Friendly People
Cons: Short Breaks, Long wait for benefits
Very fast paced work, but a lot on your own. Need to memorize all functions of the computer and how to properly check people out in a fast an efficient way
Stop & Shop
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Feeding Hills, MAJune 2, 2015
The employees are super friendly and the managers are very supportive. You get pretty decent hours and the work isn't too difficult.
productive includes breaktimes
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Cromwell, CTJune 2, 2015
Pros: discount, breakroom
Cons: no healthcare
I would come in and clock in and get right to work communicating with customers while cashiering and or bagging. Co-workers are very friendly and polite. I learn how to use the cash register and more how to take care of the customer. The management does the best to ensure your needs and what you want help with. They are willing to be flexible as long as you are fair and do it in the right manner. The co-workers are very nice and help when they can. The hardest part would be having a bad run-in with a customer and figuring out how to help solve the problem while making them happy. I enjoy the customer walking away with a smile and making their day. I like to talk to co-workers when possible also to learn anything I can from them.
it was ok
Porter/shopping cart attendant (Former Employee), Staten Island, NYJune 2, 2015
it was good at the beginning but after a month it became very challenging. the management wasn't very friendly but the co-workers were awesome. the hardest part of my job was trying to explain to my manager what i needed to get the job done because he never listened. working with people who work just as hard as me.
Fun Workplace
Cashier / Customer Service (Current Employee), Freeport, NYMay 30, 2015
My first job and I learned alot from them but I'm ready to branch out and start learning more skills/ look for a career. It's a good starter job but not nothing long term.
Mediocre at best
Staff Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 28, 2015
I've worked here for five years and have seen both the good and bad aspects of this job. I've made very strong relationships with key management officials as well as co-workers and have done my best to be an intricate part of their team.
productive workplace but not enough hours
over night clerk (Current Employee), Bayonne, NJMay 27, 2015
Pros: paid weekly
Cons: short breaks
short staffed...
my co workers are motivated individuals who as i would perfer more hoursthe hardest part of this job is wg
hen someone who is scheduled to work calls out...it makes my job alot hardermanagement is new...
Learned alot.
Florist clerk (Former Employee), DORCHESTER, MAMay 23, 2015
Great for a first time job. I was able to learn a lot about customer service, handling money, and customers. I would surely recommend it for a first job.
My work colleagues are cool to work with, but I think the management is ran terribly
Cashier (Current Employee), DORCHESTER, MAMay 23, 2015
Gets busy, but hard to be fast when you have to bag approximately on average 45 per person, which can range form 2-40 lbs.
Team is essential when working upfront, your bagger can see things you might miss. They aid in doing their job.
Management is terrible, they do not really care for their employees, they ignore complaints and schedule changes.
Everyone one is friendly, not saying management is not, they keep professionalism in the workplace, but my colleagues in the front end are very nice.
Ringing up groceries and bagging them yourself, because not only is it time consuming, but it strains mainly one side of your body.
Having conversations with my customers, so when I have to bad a lot of groceries, they somewhat take my mind off it.
Stop and Shop is an OK place to work
General Office Worker (Current Employee), Ansonia, CTMay 21, 2015
Pros: Has a union
Cons: to many partime people
Stop and Shop is a good place to start your working career but not the idea place to stay if you have greater expectations in life.
Fun work environment
Cashier (Current Employee), East Hartford, CTMay 21, 2015
Pros: N/A
Cons: Short Breaks but it's part time
professional, fun work, environment, Where I can utilize my customer service skills and my cashier experience, where I can network and meet new people and answer minor questions if needed.
Review
cdh (Current Employee), bostonMay 18, 2015
Cons: short breaks
Working at Stop and Shop is hectic. It can be chaos at times but it is a fun environment you can learn a lot and move up in the company. It good experience . Their discount is horrible only 5%.
Alright entry level job
File Clerk (Current Employee), Newington, CTMay 18, 2015
Pros: 5% employee discount, paid days off/vacations
Good place to up your people skills. One of the biggest things they stress about working retail is your customer service skills. You also get to work with people of difference culture and diversities. The management can fluctuate between cool, calm and collected and egotistical and harsh since they move managers around quite a bit at the stores.
people friendly work
Meat/Seafood Clerk (Former Employee), westfield ,maMay 18, 2015
Pros: learning
Cons: benefits weren't exactly the best
consisting of stocking products to improve presentation and quality of products and beat the competition. Learned the differences in alot of the foods and origins. stop and shop has great team work environment, no matter the dept. everyone pitches in to help when needed. Some days you have the tough customers that don't deal with not having a certain product in your dept or store at the time. love the overall unity and communication at the work place.
Fun work place
Service Desk Clerk/Cash Department Head (Former Employee), Somerville, MassMay 15, 2015
The Most enjoyable part would be the customers and my co workers.

The hardest part would be letting the people you know steal get away with it due to the fact the company has hassle free policies intact to better assist the truthful Customers.

The worse part is the favoritism