Strack & Van Til

Strack & Van Til Employee Reviews

It was brutal
Stocker (Former Employee), Crownpoint, INMay 28, 2015
Working at this store was very hectic, and keeping aisles in full stock came with many troubles, and it had to be done as quick and efficient as possible.
Horrible management and managers who are full of it
Grocery Stocker (Current Employee), Crown Point, INMay 21, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Dirty floors, High turn out rate, no chances for advancements
Just a very very very bad place to work at which is primarily the reason why their turn out rate is so high and I see new faces everyday.
I enjoy dealing with polite customers.
Cashier /Deli Clerk (Current Employee), East Chicago, INFebruary 1, 2015
Pros: good company, get along with co-workers and management
Cons: cut hours, no benefits.
A typical day at work,we look at the list of what We need to prepare,
I learned to operate meat slicer,merchandise scale,Operate stove/ovens/fryers,Pack items for sale.
Clean/sanitize department, back room and cooler/freezer.
Managers could use improvement,They don't care some times.
get along with co-workers and management
Pay is decent but no benefits offered.
As a Deli clerk, I am responsible for giving customers the most friendly, pleasant experience possible.
I enjoy dealing with polite customers.
A decent place to work, management not so great.
Cake Decorator (Former Employee), Hobart, INNovember 26, 2014
Pros: holiday parties, decent insurance, decent hours
Cons: management, unclean work area
Working in the bakery was easy. A typical day consisted of slicing bread, filling the sales floor, baking product, or decorating cakes. I learned a lot about baking- time, temperature, the science of food, very interesting! The management is what made the job one of the worst I have ever had. Management did not listen to my concerns or troubles, did not care if I was happy or unhappy, did not care if I needed anything or had anything to say. Management, of all titles (Bakery manager, store manager, assistant managers, and merchandiser) were all horrible. My co-workers were typical women, we would fight and argue but got along for the most part. We all did our jobs to the best of our abilities, however, it never seemed enough for the company. The hardest part of my job was the way we were treated as workers. It seemed as though our personal concerns did not matter. Our daily happiness was not an issue, it did not matter how we were feeling. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the satisfaction on the customers faces.
A quick and easy job without much room for impovement.
Produce Associate (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INOctober 10, 2014
Pros: lenient hiring process.
Cons: everything else.
This is the kind of place you apply for when you need some sort of income quick or while you search for a job elsewhere. The SvT union is not there to help you they offer no benefits low wages and high union dues the only purpose of this union is so the company makes some of the money it pays to its employees back. If you apply here chances are you will get hired they are very lenient with their hiring process and with employees constantly coming and going there are always openings but there is a reason for this. This is not somewhere you should work at for more than 7 months and definitely not more than a year (which is how long it takes before you're eligible for vacation and holiday pay) there is no room for improvement there are people there who have been working there for 10+years and still make less than if they were to get a job at one of the competing stores. The management is poor they take anyone who is fresh out of business school and make them into a manager even though none of them quite know what they're doing. The managers rarely leave their offices so they don't know how hard their employees actually work. How hard you work doesn't matter this company is 100% seniority driven if the new guy is reliable and hard working they would rather give a promotion to the guy who drags his feet barely doing anything around the store because hes been there for 10 years and has no ambition but has seniority so he gets the position. Also if the shelves are poorly stocked and the department looks bad he/she will sooner put all the blame on the newest guy than the employees with seniority who were actually doing nothing leaving the new guy to pick up the slack. Over all its a good temporary job but seek further employment elsewhere while you work.
not fun
Deli & Seafood Clerk (Former Employee), Crown Point, INAugust 20, 2014
Pros: customers
Cons: fellow employees
the ladies at Strack's deli are very mean.MUCH bullying!The job was easy and fun...Love customers and helping people...Just got knocked down too much by what they called Deli Management.
Horriable place to work.
cashier (Former Employee), hammond, indianaDecember 29, 2013
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: horribal hours. rude mangement. rude customers. horribal place to work.
Horrible hours, mangers are rude and do not care about their employees. one does not get paid enough to deal with all the stuff one has to deal with from the managers and customers.
Foot in the door
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Munster, INOctober 13, 2013
Pros: friendly coworkers, engaging tasks
Cons: few benefits, less than average wage, heavy workload
Stacks gave me the opportunity to gain new skills and experience when no other company would. I learned many skills required to work in a fast paced office environment and was able to apply many skills I gained from college, such as Microsoft Office, and expand on them. However, with their ever growing company, they have a tendency to neglect all the areas of their business that require growth and advancement. In a typical work day, in my position, it is expected that a numerous amount of tasks be accomplished that take at least eight hours to do while finding time to do additional tasks as they come about, all for less than a typical wage you would find for that sort of position. Overall, working with my coworkers is a positive experience, sometimes enlightening. The hardest part of the job is the amount of work that I am responsible for. The most enjoyable part of the job, in my opinion, is that every day is different and there is a great deal of problem solving.
fun place to work
Utility Clerk (Former Employee), Munster, INMay 29, 2013
fun place to work. Do your job and you will be fine. Fun interacting with customers.
Not a fun place to work and employees are at the behess of dept mgr
Meat Wrapper/ Meat Cutter (Former Employee), 4725 Indianapolis Blvd, East Chicago, IN 46312April 2, 2013
Pros: taste samples to make sure they are eatable
Cons: short breaks, unjustified write-ups, unfair treatment
Dealing with unpleasant and very picky ungrateful customers
Learn to be understanding to a point and how to deal with shoplifters
Management tends to be hypocritical and only care about making profits regardless of how customers treat company employees.
Most co-workers are conscious and honest workers
Multi-tasking w/o hardly any help in dealing with customers in a rush
Doing PA announcements and having some customers appreciate your assistance.
Fun environment with great management
Cashier (Former Employee), Munster, INDecember 10, 2012
Great overall grocery store to work for, caring management team and also great environment to start off for any job as a younger adult.
Awesome place
Utility clerk (Former Employee), Hobart, INNovember 29, 2012
Pros: automatic raises.
Cons: union dues
Loved Strack's. Great people. Great service. Trained well. Union. Good pay (at the time). Very organized. Good team atmosphere. Good management.
Fun Workplace
Cashier/Customer Service/Customer Service Manager (Current Employee), Merrillville, INOctober 1, 2012
Nice start while in school or continuing education, nice atmosphere, customers. love the customers who are regulars
This job was horrible.
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee), Schererville, INAugust 19, 2012
Pros: there was no pros at all
Cons: cons was every thing that this job stood for.
This job was not for anyone that could not turn there cheek to ignorance at all there was a lot of race issue with all the workers for no reason.
Improperly manage company
Utility Clerk (Former Employee), Whiting, INJune 3, 2012
Pros: i always was able to get hrs regardless of schedule because people didnt seem to want to work.
Cons: felt unappriciated, advancement was nonexsistant
This company hired a store manager who had no experience with retail prior to this company . And the reason she was hired is because she was a psyciatry major. Who had the ability to manipulate people who were entry level and people who did try to take the company seriously with subtrafuge and chicanary and use them as stepping stones to make her/his store look better . Often times under the guise of customer service superseeds all. To the best of my knowledge they around the same time of year do a cleanse of all the people theyve hired (espesially the ones who seem less estetically popular. ie,< women>and people that they just dont like personally, by attaching bogus time punches and when the people cant prove the exsistance of such time discrepencies because they were so far back in time into their employment that they cannot remeber there only choice of action is to sign the paperwork or go home without pay until the union handles the matter. I did not realize that a company could be at the throats of its employees and its union so much before this company.
paid breaks
Deli/Seafood Clerk (Former Employee), chicago,ILMarch 14, 2012
Pros: works around schedules
Cons: low hours, due to heavy employement
worked part time, had paid breaks, worked around my school schedule, but did not work long enough to receive benefits
Grocery
Customer service (Current Employee), Rensselaer,IndianaMarch 4, 2012
Terrible place to work-store supervisors can see your working with customers and ask why displays,etc aren't prepared. The employee looks around and....hey,get us more people to work with!!! Hours have been cut,you get fired if you sneak out with food that was going to be thrown away. I work in a grocery store but get my food at a food pantry...

Strack & Van Til Salaries