Strack and Van Til Employee Reviews

okay place
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Cedar Lake, INJanuary 11, 2017
Worker days.
You meet all kids of people.
The managenment is okay
Lot of people telling u what to do
Talking with the people u meet
Pros
breaks not lot of help
Cons
all good
Worst management I have worked for.
Cook (Current Employee) –  Hobart, INJanuary 3, 2017
The managers do not care for the employees, closers almost always work overtime every single day due to the lack of proper training or management. Would not recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
Free food, easy work
Cons
Overtime and unreliable managers
No advancement and Mentally draining
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Highland, INNovember 14, 2016
Management is horrible. There's no room for advancement. The work is mentally draining and you take a lot of abuse. They don't recognize the efforts of the lower level people. You are forced to do the work of others. A few of the coworkers are great people. Most of them are stuck up and will talk down to you. It gets worse when you surpass what they know. I did learn a lot about excel while working there and most of the vendors are great.
Pros
Occassional luncheons
Cons
no breaks, get blamed for others mistakes
Productive without a dull moment
Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Munster, INNovember 8, 2016
Strack and Van Til is a great working environment with a staff and management that really care about each other. They work effortlessly to ensure that all the employees and customers are satisfied 24/7.
high paced and pretty easy job
Assistant Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INOctober 27, 2016
very routine
time management skills
good bosses and management
many new coworkers on a consistent basis
hard to get more that 40hrs a week
three years to get health insurance
competitive advancement for promotion
Okay place to work for
Deli Team Lead Clerk (Current Employee) –  Munster, INSeptember 10, 2016
I've been working here for going on 3 years, it's an easy-going place to work for for the most part, and great for if you're in school still living at home..
Pros
Good work for if you're in school
Cons
Extremely low pay, bad benefits, management could care less
I really liked a lot of people I worked with
Baker (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INSeptember 4, 2016
A typical day would be getting in and starting the donut mix. Most are made fresh and some things are made then frozen. Make the donuts then help ship them out. I was there 5 years and repeatedly asked about promotions and moving up but ever got it even though they depended on me heavily and I rarely missed a day of work. The hardest part of the job was when machinery would break and we'd have to figure out other ways to do our job. Easiest was being able to joke with great coworkers while doing your job.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Lack of promotion opportunities
Fun enviroment with good people
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Shereville, InSeptember 1, 2016
Co workers were very work orientated and organized. Typical day at work was usually just go in clean and stock until I clocked out. The most enjoyed part were the customers.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
very short breaks, not benefits
Productive fun place to work.
Store manager of Ultra Fresh (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILAugust 27, 2016
Lots of work as a manager so time goes by fast. They have customers that have been shopping at stores for a long time so you become friends with them.
Busy work
Utility clerk (Former Employee) –  Hobart, INAugust 2, 2016
Co-workers were okay, management was okay. Received little respect as a utility clerk from other employees, but more respect from customers.
Pros
tips, constant movement
Cons
no benefits
Fast paced, fun, worked in a group, and a challenging job
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJuly 24, 2016
Worked in a medium sized group in the produce department. We would try our hardest to meet our quota in production. My fellow co-workers were friendly and helpful. Management was a little unstable, because they were constantly changing programs with our production plan. The hardest part of my work would be keeping up on the holidays, because it would be our busiest time. The most enjoyable part of the job would be that I was learning the different areas of my department. I have learned how to order from a small list of product, unload/ load a trailer, restock, build small displays of product, and finally cut and wrap produce.
Pros
It was steady work
Cons
Management changed constantly
Friendly Work Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hobart, INJuly 13, 2016
Friendly Work Environment, fast paced, customer service and very busy around the holidays. Management was very nice and fair.
good place to work
utility cleark (Current Employee) –  Crown Point, INJuly 12, 2016
good place, good workers, can be a stressful day if its super busy, or boring if there are not may customers, its fun to work there at night because were all winding down and everyone is still there so were just enjoying each others company
Pros
nice workers
Cons
short breaks, drama
Productive and hard working environment.
Crew Leader Deli Department (Current Employee) –  Saint John, INJuly 10, 2016
Lots of hard work but fun working productive work, I enjoy working on the cheese bar and giving customer what they need. my manger is very understanding of our needs.
Fast paced work area
Utility Worker, Cleaner, Inventory (Former Employee) –  Highland, INJuly 4, 2016
Typical work day would be coming to work and after I would clock in go to any cashier that had no utility clerk started bagging groceries. Cleaning the store and going to each department to see if they needed help with anything. Bring in carts from the outside was a must. My most enjoyable thing about working there was meeting new people and helping them out.
great first job
Bagger/Labor (Former Employee) –  Lowell, INJune 29, 2016
Interact with Customers
⦁ Bag groceries in a safe manner & carry them to customer vehicle
⦁ Clean store as directed by manager
Good
UTILITY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Rensselaer, INMay 16, 2016
This was my first job. I learned a lot about customer service and work ethic. Friendly people to work with. You learn a lot.
Pros
experience
Cons
hours
Easy physical work
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Highland, INApril 30, 2016
Work was relatively simple. Clock in, help unload pallets, distribute product into your designated aisle and once all has been unloaded, stock and face. Just be sure to make sure you watch your time and to keep a steady pace. Also, loved the fact that the manager wasn't breathing down my neck all the time.
Great start but going downhill
Asst Produce mgr (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INApril 16, 2016
I thoroughly enjoy my job, as I have a positive attitude everyday I go to work, why not!
Management are good and fair, just like anywhere else, you do your job and they are happy and appreciative.
Due to new CEO and other brought into the company with the new CEO, a lot of Managers, Supervisors, and buyers in our corporate office are now gone. All replaced by newbies that have no clue on what they are doing.
I guess thats the hardest part of the job is caring about a company you have worked for giving 100% to and seeing it changed and losing customers over it.
Pros
great co-workers and managers
Cons
having to work with managers completely stressed out from newer CEO and corporate.
Terrible Atmosphere
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 31, 2016
There is no teamwork, everyone is on their cellphones. Workers constantly steal company time. Management does not care when you go to them with an issue
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Strack and Van Til. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7