Strack and Van Til

Strack and Van Til Employer Reviews

ok
CASHIER-Job (Former Employee), sheriilleJune 16, 2014
Pros: food
Cons: people
i really didnt like this hjob thats why i quit i wouldnt work there if i was anyone
Lousy Employer....Lousy Pay!!!
Employee (Former Employee), IndianaMay 3, 2014
Pros: none!!!
Cons: everything!!
Strack & Van Til should be ashamed of themselves for expecting employees to work for next to nothing!! (Basically!!) Also, expecting employees to pay union dues!! NEWS FLASH:YOU CANNOT LIVE ON $7.50/HOUR!!!
The Benefits
Utility Clerk (Former Employee), Crown Point, INApril 3, 2014
Strack and Vantil has great benefits and they were very flexible with my school schedule.
Grocery store
Stocker (Former Employee), Schererville, INNovember 4, 2013
Pros: good staff, flexible schedule
Cons: no advancement, low pay
I had many responsibilities at this job from being there for so long. No day was a typical day. Some days I would stock. Some days I would be in receiving. Some days I would cashier. Some days I would be filling in for manager. My official title was a stocker, so I would usually be pulling and filling product, while dealing with customers.
Fast Paced
Deli Assistant (Former Employee), Munster, INSeptember 26, 2013
A typical day at work would include dealing with angry and polite customers.
It was ok
Donut Fryer (Former Employee), Saint John, INAugust 19, 2013
I would come to work and making dozens of donuts before a certain time. I worked alone most of the time. The hardest part of the job was making sure I got done on time.
My goal is to make the most out of the job by remaining professional, helpful, and productive.
Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee), Munster, INFebruary 14, 2013
As a cashier I am responsible for giving customers the most friendly, pleasant experience possible while they are waiting and purchasing groceries. My attitude must remain consistent whether I am having a bad day or they are having a bad day. I must remain calm and efficient at all times. I need to ensure they are being charged the proper amount and – more... resolve any issues if their are inconsistencies or refer them to the correct person on the management staff. The most enjoyable part is seeing friendly, familiar faces who have known me and my family for many years. – less
Great job for high school students
Cashier (Former Employee), Hammond, INAugust 27, 2012
Labor union seems to be working for the company instead of the labor force. Revisions made everything tougher on the employees. Managers have no respect for any situation you encounter outside of work.
Terrible Place to Work!
Utility Clerk (Former Employee), Crown Point, INAugust 22, 2012
A typical day at work is 8 hrs long. You have to pay union dues every paycheck. The managers a rude and could care less about their employees. The customers while some nice are incredibly rude and talk down to you. The benefits are okay but they cost a ton. The only thing I liked about working there was the coworkers.
Not a bad place to work
Utility Clerk/Overnight Stocker Strack and Van Til (Former Employee), Highland, INJune 9, 2012
The other employees were nice and they were always there to help
Long hours, little pay
Utility Clerk (Former Employee), Hammond, INJune 8, 2012
Cons: short breaks, on feet for long hours, and have to go outside no matter the weather
This job was nothing more than, a "job". It had its ups and downs but overall, wasn't a horrible place to work. However, you work hard and get paid very little.
it was a ok place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Hammond, INApril 18, 2012
Pros: overtime
Cons: short breaks, unfair management
Managers could use improvment, but other than that it was a great place to work friendly co-workers and all around easy job with overtime available.
Productive workplace to meet and greet everyday customers
Cashier (Former Employee), Rensselaer, INMarch 26, 2012
Pros: $1.00 extra/per hour on sunday
Cons: short breaks, no healthcare, scheduling conflicts
While working at Strack and Van Til, I had opposite schedules all the time that would conflict with each other. For example: One night I had to work 2-10pm, and the next morning they had me open the store at 6am. Scheduling was a big deal, because I go to school full time Tuesdays and Thursdays every week.
It did not ever offer me benefits, because – more... they said you had to work full time to recieve benefits, and even though I was extemely close to the 35 hours a week they would never give me 35 hours a week. As a matter of fact, they did not give anyone 35 hours a week unless they were a salaried manager.
Overall, the customers were always our main priority. – less
Two Faced
Asst. Produce Manager (Former Employee), Highland, INMarch 9, 2012
Employees are expected to follow the company guidelines to a T, while salary managers can bend all the rules they like. The union involved is horrible.