Strack and Van Til Employee Reviews

Not so bad
Cashier/ Service Desk (Former Employee) –  1836 Calumet AvenueMay 18, 2017
While I was working here I was in high school. This place would be a job for teens because of the hours and pay rate. I honestly would not go back to this company because I would not be able to pay my rent or bills.
Cashier/ Bagger (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INMay 9, 2017
No advancement and the union is over rated they do nothing for the employees. Management showed extreme lack of respect for employees and picked favorites who reserved better hours.
Pros
Cons
management
management
Night Crew Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INMay 1, 2017
Poorly managed and overall bad company to work for. The people are all good but not managed very well. Would not reccemmend this company to anyone they'll just screw you over like i have been many times already in the company.
Forklift was the best time i has
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  East Chicago, INApril 26, 2017
Machine operator Fork truck operator Press operator Utility Clerk 60 ton press 1250 ton press loading & unloading trailer kick press operator production work
Decent Overall
UC/Carry-Out (Former Employee) –  Saint John, INApril 22, 2017
Typical work day consisted of a lot of different side jobs. Management was alright, not the best honestly. Most of the workers were nice and fun to work with. The hours were not good if you are just coming in, because it is all seniority based, so the workers how were hired last got the worst hours. Not good if looking for full time.
Cons
not great pay, not good hours
Good people
Corporate Food Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Highland, INApril 20, 2017
Things were good until the downsizing and closing. Very supportive, struggling with all areas due to industry down turn. Would have stayed except for the current issues.
Productive and a great place to work for
Book Keeper (Current Employee) –  East Chicago, INApril 19, 2017
I counted tills, ran the reports to make sure they matched what we had, managed the money for the whole store, cashier, answered phone calls, and customer service.
I enjoyed my coworkers however managment needs work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hobart, INApril 17, 2017
I worked there for almost 2 and a half years I loved it, I loved the people. However with current standings in the company things were getting a little bit more hectic then I would have hoped. They are low on help and low on hours to give. Managment needs to learn people skills again (not to mention the store director throwing a wood pallet at me) but I digress. If you do not have anxiety and can handle a stressful work environment it is a great place to work
Pros
5% employee discount, union, insurance
Cons
15 monute breaks, vacations arnt garunteed to you, angry "leaders".
Fun and easy place to work
Cashier/Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INApril 15, 2017
Loved working there. Great people and great management. Very compassionate about their employees and their wellness. Excellent Christmas Bonuses! Easy and fast paced.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Competition
Good place to work depending on management
Grocery Stocker (Current Employee) –  Lowell, INApril 15, 2017
Overall this company was great to work for, until the recent change in management at my location. The previous group of managers was incredibly approachable and genuinely cared about the employees at their location. The new management regime is cut-throat and lies, doing anything they can to try to save their jobs. They continue to slash hours and expect more than is possible from longtime employees who have proven to be very reliable and competent throughout the years. 3 of the 5 managers are awesome and do an amazing job, but the 2 most senior members of the organization are awful and shouldn't be collecting their paychecks.
Pros
Paid breaks, union job
Cons
Poor managment
Was a decent place holder job
STOCKER (Current Employee) –  Crown Point, INMarch 31, 2017
I have spent about 5 years with this company and I have learned a great deal including bagging, cashiering, stocking, and scanning/pricing. I left to better focus on school and I had no issues getting rehired when I reapplied. Some managers were better than others. Sometimes I felt like I was back in high school because of the clicks and the favoritism that happened. Some days it was easier to deal with the customers rather than deal with employees.
Understaff, make them hard to work for
Dairy Manager (Current Employee) –  Lowell, INMarch 23, 2017
Hard days and easy. Time Flys bye. Work bye myself in frozen department. Never enough time in 8 hours to get the job done overall good environment to work in
Pros
insurance
Cons
Pay low
Judgemental enviroment and rude management
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INMarch 22, 2017
A typical day in the deli was extremely stressful and overwhelming. I learned how to properly slice meat and weigh out food. The manager at the time was very hard on us and unprofessional when handling any problems that occurred. The workplace culture is hard to define you either fit in or you didn't and if you didn't everyone let you know. the hardest part of my job was holding myself together and biting my tongue when being disrespected. The most enjoyable point of the day was setting up the front case with all the food.
Pros
15 minute break
Cons
rude coworkers
The grind for money to stay alive
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Highland, INMarch 22, 2017
To be completely honest I was never a fan ignore working as a bakery clerk here. Technically I was a donut fryer but as the manager said "always hire them under bakery clerk so they can do whatever we need." It was a fine enough place to work except for the fact that either they had one person doing the work of two, or they're trying to fit in 8 hours of work into 6. I tried hard and finally decided to get a new job. But I definitely learned to hustle and manage my time there since I had to figure out how to do the work of two.
Pros
Free donuts
Cons
Unrealistic work standards
Fun job but low hours.
Stocker and Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Whiting, INMarch 17, 2017
I started as a stocker, filling the dairy aisle shelves with product as well as rotating the old product. I learned how to stock shelves as well as unload milk trucks. I was then moved to a Utility Clerk, where I bagged groceries for customers and occasionally took them to their car. The management was good. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the cold, and the most enjoyable part was the constant customer interaction.
Pros
Good customers
Cons
Lack of hours
Good paying and fun job during high school
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INMarch 15, 2017
worked here throughout high school and loved he people I worked with as well as the hours. management was good. as well as request off forms were easy to fill out and for the most part got off any days that were needed off no complaints
Pros
good job through high school
Cons
different hours every week
terrible place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INMarch 13, 2017
Being a deli clerk at the Calumet Ave. store in Valparaiso is one of the worst jobs I've ever had. A new deli manager came in and expects workers to do triple the amount of work before her arrival by cutting hours. It is ridiculously busy. The pay is terrible for the amount of work that is expected. No one is ever thanked or told they are doing a good job. The morale of the entire deli is terrible because of the problems listed above. Do yourself a favor by not applying to the deli in this store.
Pros
5 % discount on groceries bought
Cons
terrible management, huge workload, terrible pay
Great company to work for
Deli Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, IN 46383March 13, 2017
This company paid very close attention to their employees and took care of any special needs within a timely fashion. The coworkers where amazing to work with and help each other succeed.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
occasionally short staffed
Fun Workplace, Fast Paced
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cedar Lake, INMarch 9, 2017
I enjoyed working with the employees and even the managers. We stayed busy and I like fast paced work because it tends to keep the time moving along. I love working with the public, so working there was something I really enjoyed doing.
Pros
Awesome hours and co workers
Poor
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Chesterton, INFebruary 28, 2017
Over worked and underpayed. Appreciation doesn't exist here. The "we value our employees" philosophy is a total joke and nothing could be further from the truth. Their idea of "showing that we care" is posting flyers in the break room that state such. That's literally it. Long term employees tell me it used to be a good place to work, I can't see it.
Pros
None really
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Strack and Van Til. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6