The Public Affairs Specialist position is a full time position in Lexington Kentucky supporting the Portsmouth/Paducah Project Office - U.S. Department of Energy with occasional travel to the sites. If selected for this position, you will coordinate with congressional and HQ liaisons, prepare and develop draft media responses and proposed draft strategies for Management approval, to respond to oral and written inquiries on a wide variety of technical, administrative and operational matters. A strong technical background with DOE/DOD experience and excellent writing and presentation skills are critical.
Typical assignments include:
- Monitoring, managing, and protecting the agency image. Reviewing newspapers and other publications as well as broadcasts for accuracy of information concerning agency policies and activities and initiate appropriate action to correct inaccurate or misleading information.
- Supporting program initiatives through targeted media outreach, op-ed/paper placement, town hall planning, crisis communicating management, and developing proactive public campaigns, as directed by Management, that promote accurate understanding of program activities.
- Preparing talking points for Management, relating to federal, state and local government reports and audits, briefing materials, presentations, congressional testimony, and other products for use by management.
- Must have at a minimum of a master's degree in a related technical or Strategic Communications field from an accredited school.
- A minimum of 15 years of professional experience, including at least 8 years of relevant, practical experience in establishing and maintaining relationships with the general public, the news and information media, key officials, agency stakeholders, industry representatives, and/or community groups.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and disseminate program information which results in an understanding of the agency's mission and activities. This includes preparation of news releases, video scripts, ability to formulate and articulate policies.
- Demonstrated ability to complete project and technical duties assigned, on a self-managing basis; including intra-agency coordination (both local and Headquarters).
- Ability to provide public affairs support to local management including preparation of “talking points”, speeches, public statements and fact sheets. Including briefings, interpretation of complex project and technical analysis and independent reviews as directed.
- Review and monitoring of media data to detect inaccurate or misleading information related to assigned program/project activities.
- Ability to assist with DOE policy formulation through preparation of draft recommended approach for a specific program/project/event.
- Demonstrated responsibility for accurate and timely document preparation.
EEO/M/F/D/V Drug Free
Indeed - 13 months ago
SMSI provides expert management consulting, program and project management, and technical consulting services to government and private...