Straub Clinic and Hospital Employee Reviews

caring and patient centered
Registered Nurse / Infusion Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 27, 2017
Straub Medical Center is patient centered and caring, with high ratings in patient surveys. The management team has made great strides in focusing on employee well-being as well, with free fitness classes and stress reduction techniques.
Pros
Patient satisfaction is important, and staff truly cares about their patients.
Cons
Work schedules are based on census and staffing issues, but not in a timely manner.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 7, 2017
I would recommend any health care professional or support staff to consider working for this organization if you are living on Oahu. Great services, good pay, great doctors and nurses. Overall great place to work. I'd go back if I could afford to live there.
Pros
Great pay, environment, and support staff, Hawaii!
Cons
Fast pace but this can be good
Typical day at work
HOUSEKEEPING (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 24, 2017
The work was physically demanding, but I enjoyed working with my fellow co-workers. I got to experience working with heavy machinery as well as gain many skills that further help me with future occupations.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
physically demanding job
Great work enviornment
Medical Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 16, 2017
Straub is a great company! They give you great medical/401K/dental benefits. Management and coworkers made work very pleasant and fun. You will love working here.
A physician-owned hospital and clinic with a large group of medical transcriptionists.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 12, 2017
This hospital almost seemed like family, particularly during my stint providing transcription services to the satellite family practice clinic. I was extremely well compensated, well supported and although not state of the art, had adequate equipment to get my work done. We further had access to physicians for feedback and assistance. There were opportunities for growth and advancement and because it was a multispecialty clinic and hospital, my knowledge of medical terminology increased exponentially. Proficiency was easily attainable with a regular set of dictators in this environment. After some years, I volunteered to provide vacation backup for radiology transcription, thus allowing me to even further expand my knowledge and apply different skills.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, opportunities for growth and advancement.
Cons
Honolulu traffic, commuting to work.
It's all about patients safety and happy environment
Registered Nurse/Per Diem (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 23, 2016
Always attentive with our patients by hourly rounding and as needed and we all work as a team but the most part is knowing your patients are safe at the end of the day. Our manager give treats and give good praise for doing a great job.
Pros
Prizes are awarded when the job is well done.
Cons
Short breaks when hospital is very busy.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 5, 2016
I have amazing co-workers, a great boss, and am blessed to be here. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting so many different people and being able to help them.
Great place to work! Competitive compensation.
Radiologic Technologist-Full time (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 20, 2015
I absolutely loved working at Straub Clinic and Hospital. The co-workers were like family and a typical work day went by quickly because of that. Management was great in the Imaging department! I loved coming to work everyday. Unfortunately I had to move to the mainland or I would of stayed forever!
Pros
Compensation, Co-workers, Managers
Cons
Commute to Honolulu
Amazing staff, love my patients, and I love the medical field
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 26, 2014
A typical work day varies due to floating to all the different specialties/departments. Every day I learned something new. Each day was always different. Love the staff. the most enjoyable part of the job are my patient-employee interactions. Helping them etc.
This was a company who worked with their employees
Clinical-nurse aide/ Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 5, 2014
They (management) listened to their employees through scheduled meetings; mandatory or other. They provided work classes to either help improve, refresh or learn a new skill.

My co-workers were an awesome! I learned from my nurses who always answered my questions as to why I had to either repeat a procedure or how doing something made a difference in a patients livelihood/ condition.

The hardest part was of course when someone you cared for passed on. I worked on an Oncology Unit.

I've had two patients come back and thank us personally for helping them to get better and apologized for being a pain to us.

I learned a lot of patience and how working as a team (weather or not its in your job description or not) helps the work and time go by smoother and faster. Plus its always a learning experience and that can't be bought.
Pros
Free meals when we worked a major holiday, recognition of categories on each floor
Cons
When they mandated you to take off during slow periods
Great working place/ Good benefits/Good management
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 30, 2013
Great working place, friendly staff, great management and great benefits. I always love to work here but im planning to relocate to California that's why i am hoping to find something like Straub.
Pros
Good benefits, Good working hours
Cons
No cons
Excellent hospital
Medical Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 15, 2013
I absolutely loved working for a company that specialized in such excellent healthcare and really put their patients first. The other medical staff, no matter what position, all worked together and the teamwork showed.
Pros
flexible hours, lots of overtimes
Cons
short breaks, many changes of management
TOO MUCH Micromanagement & Red Tape. NOT pleasant.
CRNA (Former Employee) –  Operating RoomJanuary 5, 2013
I was an employee there who left employment on my own terms and in good standing. I must say though that the micromanagement was way too overbearing. The politics and red tape was also an issue. It was quite a drag going into work. The morale was low which made it even harder. I worked in the OR as a Crna. I have never had such an awful experience. I've worked at a few places in life, including Mass. General Hospital, Cleveland Clinic etc w/o such treatment. Good luck if you work in the OR. I had to leave. It was killing me;)
Pros
the computer system was user friendly.
Cons
too much micromanaging, especially for a well experienced crna
It was a great pleasures to be part of Straub family.
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 12, 2012
Straub was one of the best hospital in Hawaii.It was a place where we learned computer generated charting popularly called epic.Management wise they were supportive to their employees growth and development.My co workers are so helpful and dedicated to their job.The hardest part of the job is taking care of those heavy patients.While the most enjoyable part of the job is teamwork among team members to get the job done on time.
Pros
showing their support to each staff member.
Cons
short breaks
Everyday is a stressfull day....but in the end you helped people
Patient Service Rep II/Appointment Center (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 13, 2012
Being screamed at by a patient, helping sick people,get along with co-workers, going home
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Productive, Team work & Family orient
Endoscopy Technician (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 1, 2012
Its a place where you always look forward too when waking up in the morning, Everyone are team player, there for each other and able to perform their work and play as team work in getting through the day and work.
Awesome employer..
Patient Services Representative II (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 6, 2012
Awesome employer great benefits. Lots of opportunities; fast paced job with strong values.