Strayer University Employee Reviews in United States

Wouldn't recommend
Financial Services Specialist FA (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAMarch 22, 2016
Your position can change without consent from what you are hired on as. Tasks are often micromanaged and unreachable. Constant drama. Heavy workloads and small room for advancement. HR does not take concerns seriously and you are warned that going to HR will hurt your ability for advancement or to stay. High turn over rate and very little benefits. Would only recommend if your looking for a new position and need an in between.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
micro management
Strayer University
Business Office Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaNovember 13, 2015
Overall, Strayer was a pretty descent place to work at. I loved helping students who wanted to help themselves get to the next level and exceed their own expectations. The product is great and easy to stand behind. Strayer was okay when it came to work life balance. The compensation and benefits are excellent! The opportunity for job advancement is there if you're willing to relocate and advancement is the same...if you're willing to relocate. Management is okay but redefining corporate structure is necessary. For the most part, working with peers was absolutely great...85% of it was wonderful! My direct management was incredible. But the corporate structure sometimes made it hard for departments to coexist, especially at the campus level. However, its an awesome hands on learning opportunity if you seek a challenge in personal growth when it comes to dealing with difficult one off situations.

Overall, I loved working there!
Pros
Benefits, compensation, hands on experience with managing personalities
Cons
None, it's all a great learning experience
Fast-paced encouraging family oriented environment.
SENIOR SALES ADMISSIONS ENROLLMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 29, 2015
We operate as a family where support and advancement are plentiful. Management leads with complete disclosure and positive motivation. While the day is full, it is comforting working with people who support one another, regardless of 'numbers'.
Pros
Upwardly mobile institution committed to educating.
Cons
Late nights along with some weekends.
Totally fraudulent and unethical
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 10, 2016
I was lied to about the work hours during the interview process. After receiving the job, I learned I was required to work 2 Saturdays every month, although I was told one Saturday every 2-3 months. After getting HR and the Regional VP involved, the campus manager then shifted the story to "Saturdays on a rotating basis," which often equates to 2 Saturdays each month because this admissions staff consists of only TWO people. I have several years of admissions experience and have NEVER seen an admissions staff this small-the size leads to many of the issues there. There was no work/life balance, as they expect work to be your life and have very little regard for any type of family situation that renders an employee unable to work. The training was subpar and often set employees up to be "redirected" on areas they were never trained on to begin with. This fuels the ego of the campus manager who has incredibly low self esteem and allows her to feel as if she is the expert, neglecting to see she is breaking down her staff members in the process. The centralized training in Virginia doesn't adequately train employees on how things are done on the local campus, as every campus handles admissions processes differently. Very high-school like environment where verbal insults are hurled by the campus manager, and often during team meetings. Lots of gossip and behind-the-back manipulation that occurs, from everyone, regardless of job title. Toxic environment. From a student's or outsider's perspective, Strayer is a wonderful school, but having worked there and left by choice shortly after  more... 90 days; I can from experience say the South Charlotte campus is as unethical as one would come to expect from any large, for profit institution. It's all about the numbers, although they will make you think it's not--until the campus is not hitting the numbers.The campus manager is a cancer that upper level management has refused to cut out and the market director is powerless to make any significant change to improve the employees' experience. Avoid this place at all costs if you desire to work in a positive, professional environment. If you just want a paycheck, go in, do what you need to do, and get out. Don't ever let them convince you they care about you as a person.  less
Pros
Free food/staff pot luck
Cons
Everything else, not worth the salary
Productive Hard Working Team Environment
CAMPUS COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Lithonia, GAMarch 22, 2016
Strayer Lithonia Campus is a University of hard working talented individuals, who strive to not only be the best but produce SUCCESSFUL, EDUCATED, TALENTED, MOTIVATED students.
Pros
flexible hours, free lunches
Cons
compensation
Nothing more than a high-pressure sales/call center
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 31, 2016
I thought this would be a good position at first (I think most people do). The training was informative, and you're made to feel like you'll be making a real difference for people who would otherwise not have the opportunity to attend college. However, after the training period, the honeymoon wears off very quickly. You're expected to be 'chained to your desk' (quoted directly by management), making over 100 dials per-day, or having 3 hours of talk time per-shift. The 'leadership' often stand directly over your shoulder while you're talking, and stress the ABC or 'Always Be Closing' model to get unsuspecting rubes to sign up to a school they'll never graduate from, with loans they'll never be able to repay. Bottom line: DO NOT WORK THERE, and if you have to, only work there long enough to find a better job somewhere else. And when you do get a new and better job, don't bother to give a two week notice. I did because I believed at the time it was the professional thing to do, and was promptly let go.
Pros
Lunch if you met your sales quota
Cons
Long and unvaried work hours, mandatory overtime, high pressure sales environment
Great Place
Computer Lab Monitor (Current Employee) –  South Raleigh Campus, Raleigh, NCFebruary 16, 2016
I love working at Strayer U. It is full of people who are willing and want to help those that seek help. The staff is so very nice, its more like family than the typical work place. It is all very professional. The let you know when something needs to be done and how they expect it to be done, the way, as well as the time frame.
So far, the other employees, both those at the campus I work at and the ones I have met from other campuses, are all very good people-people! They all seem to enjoy the work they do and want those around them to succeed in their life also.
Pros
There seems to be food provided regularly, and the staff does things for each other.
Cons
I really dont have any.
Proactive and very dynamic
Student Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 27, 2016
I acted as a point of contact to handle student account inquiries, accuracy and completeness of payment plans
I monitored accounts and communicated with students to resolve outstanding balances.
I processed student payments received at the campus and assisted with the daily reconciliation process.
-I maintained general ledger up to date on a daily basis.
Great office wrk experience
ADMISSIONS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GADecember 17, 2015
Great office work experience, Academic and Admissions staff are team builders. Management are numbers driven to the point it steals from their integrity and interpersonal skills. They lack well rounded management skills... a little too clique-ish for my professional preference. Stepping stone opportunity.
Pros
Great office wrk experience
Cons
management
Great work place!
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLFebruary 7, 2016
Excellent culture to work in...Staff is always supportive of your needs. Very responsive to any assistance you request. Working with non-traditional adult learners where they learn a variety of disciplines.
Great Company to work with, Excellent Envirnoment
PeopleSoft Administrator (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAJanuary 8, 2016
Strayer is great place to learn new things, co worker are exceptionally professional and hard working. Management is very professional in all areas.
Cons
Healthcare, Flexible Schedules
Good company outside of Columbia Campus
Recruiting (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 18, 2015
A typical day consist of making outbound calls to recruit perspective students. The schedule consists of two nights a week working until 8pm and one weekend shift per month at minimum. Very fast paced environment and opportunity for growth.

Extremely poor management and high turnover rate in the Columbia campus. Management within the Columbia campus is unprofessional and manipulative. Corporate has been notified on numerous occasions about the unprincipled behaviors and have failed to resolve the situations.

The hardest part of the job is the fact that it is repetitive and can quickly become tiring and stressful. The most enjoyable part is helping students.

Unfortunately the previous reviews listed about the Columbia Campus are about 99% accurate.
Pros
great benefits and growth opportunities
Cons
Extremely Poor Managment, Schedule, and Stress
Learning & Growing Opportunities
Corporate employee (Former Employee) –  Northern VAAugust 13, 2015
In my case I was able to acquire a lot of good skills and experiences during my time there, in addition to enjoying my work, and I believe this is true for many. There has always been a great deal mobility (mostly upward), all over the company and for all of my years there. Layoffs are something that management tries hard to avoid, and in large part, succeeds. The work environment was reasonably pleasant for me, although I know this was not always true for everyone depending on the functional unit or the location or who is in charge (which I believe is probably also true everywhere). The difference between being a corporate employee and a field (campus) employee are enormous, hence reviews by corporate v field employees may vary widely.
Pros
Opportunity to support people trying to better themselves with education
Cons
Prefer not to even go there
Sales
Admissions Officer (Current Employee) –  MarylandJune 22, 2016
This position is basically sales, if you are a strong sales person then its for you but its confusing because in training I was told differently. Also, I don't like working for companies that have blackout days which you can't request days off even if you have the time.
It's just ok
Admissions Officer (Current Employee) –  MarylandJune 23, 2016
Not enough pay for the amount of work.
A typical day consists of calling 80-100 leads
meeting with students
walking them through the application
securing their enrollment documents
phone and campus interviews
financial aid overview
etc. just......a lot
Do not work for this organization
Admissions Officer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 4, 2016
I would not work for them again. I was micromanaged, bullied and shown no respect from my boss. Upper management only enabled and looked over the problems and issues. I was constantly blamed for problems that I could nothing about.
All about the money!
Admissions (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 2, 2016
Not a great place to work, they don't care about the students or the employees. All they care about is the money and getting over on people. What they do in the dark will come to light and Strayer will be forced to do things differently. I did make a lot of money while I did work there!
Pros
Work from home and travel
Cons
All they care about is the money, poor students!
Full time student
Graduate Student-Full Time (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 19, 2016
I truly appreciate the professor that heads the business department. He has real word experience and clearly connects it to the program.
Pros
Accepts GI Bill and facilitates the Yellow Ribbon program
Cons
Not enough teachers on staff for the Graduate program
I love teaching at Strayer!
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Center Valley, PAApril 24, 2016
I have worked there a year teaching English to college freshman, and I love it! The students are an eclectic mix, and the administration and co-workers are very supportive.
Pros
Every day is different.
Cons
The only con is that I don't work there full-time.
Ok place to work
Campus Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJune 21, 2016
hard to grow within the company, alot of changes, hard to make good money, depending on leadership hard to build if the leader lacks quality leadership skills within the office.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Strayer University. Our community is ready to answer.