Strayer University Employee Reviews in United States

Didn't Work there long by choice
Part-Time Campus Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Warrendale, PAAugust 24, 2016
Management was questionable and ineffective. Every position is a sales position, no matter how the position is presented. Very flexible and probably the ONLY thing I enjoyed.
student
Student (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 22, 2016
good school, was able to learn a lot about helping others because i went the to learn about helping people with substance abuse problems and getting certified to do counseling.
Pros
good education
They Call it a Salary?
University professor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh NCAugust 8, 2016
Applied for a job there. I am a highly qualified professor with great credentials and an excellent teaching record. Duke Ph.D. Years of experience in the classroom at major universitites.

They wanted to pay an absurdly low salary for a full course of 15 weeks with all that goes with it. In addition, for that money I was supposed to jump through hoops that included sending them a video of an introductory class.

A note to prospective students: Be careful of the quality of your instructors. At the salaries they are offering they can't possibly be attracting top people.

To Strayer: You really need to learn to distinguish between senior people applying and those who are newly minted in your application process.
Proactive and very dynamic
Student Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 27, 2016
I acted as a point of contact to handle student account inquiries, accuracy and completeness of payment plans
I monitored accounts and communicated with students to resolve outstanding balances.
I processed student payments received at the campus and assisted with the daily reconciliation process.
-I maintained general ledger up to date on a daily basis.
Recruiter/Sales (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEJuly 25, 2016
Strayer is a great place to work if you enjoy Sales. I learned a lot working in Strayer. As an Admissions Officer my responsibilities were close to the role of a recruiter.
It's just ok
Admissions Officer (Current Employee) –  MarylandJune 23, 2016
Not enough pay for the amount of work.
A typical day consists of calling 80-100 leads
meeting with students
walking them through the application
securing their enrollment documents
phone and campus interviews
financial aid overview
etc. just......a lot
Sales
Admissions Officer (Current Employee) –  MarylandJune 22, 2016
This position is basically sales, if you are a strong sales person then its for you but its confusing because in training I was told differently. Also, I don't like working for companies that have blackout days which you can't request days off even if you have the time.
Ok place to work
Campus Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJune 21, 2016
hard to grow within the company, alot of changes, hard to make good money, depending on leadership hard to build if the leader lacks quality leadership skills within the office.
Nothing more than a high-pressure sales/call center
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 31, 2016
I thought this would be a good position at first (I think most people do). The training was informative, and you're made to feel like you'll be making a real difference for people who would otherwise not have the opportunity to attend college. However, after the training period, the honeymoon wears off very quickly. You're expected to be 'chained to your desk' (quoted directly by management), making over 100 dials per-day, or having 3 hours of talk time per-shift. The 'leadership' often stand directly over your shoulder while you're talking, and stress the ABC or 'Always Be Closing' model to get unsuspecting rubes to sign up to a school they'll never graduate from, with loans they'll never be able to repay. Bottom line: DO NOT WORK THERE, and if you have to, only work there long enough to find a better job somewhere else. And when you do get a new and better job, don't bother to give a two week notice. I did because I believed at the time it was the professional thing to do, and was promptly let go.
Pros
Lunch if you met your sales quota
Cons
Long and unvaried work hours, mandatory overtime, high pressure sales environment
Not bad but could be better
Regional Manager Business Operations (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAMay 13, 2016
It is a good place to start and grow, get out once you have built your professional skills. Good people. Tough industry to be in.
great changing company
Student Success Coach (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 9, 2016
Great benefits and amazing coworkers. Company is always adjusting and changing to better service the students. Its all about team effort.
Do not work for this organization
Admissions Officer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 4, 2016
I would not work for them again. I was micromanaged, bullied and shown no respect from my boss. Upper management only enabled and looked over the problems and issues. I was constantly blamed for problems that I could nothing about.
Cons
I love teaching at Strayer!
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Center Valley, PAApril 24, 2016
I have worked there a year teaching English to college freshman, and I love it! The students are an eclectic mix, and the administration and co-workers are very supportive.
Pros
Every day is different.
Cons
The only con is that I don't work there full-time.
Full time student
Graduate Student-Full Time (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 19, 2016
I truly appreciate the professor that heads the business department. He has real word experience and clearly connects it to the program.
Pros
Accepts GI Bill and facilitates the Yellow Ribbon program
Cons
Not enough teachers on staff for the Graduate program
Innovative
Business Account Development Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 12, 2016
Very people orientated. The culture is based on integrity and letting the employees handle they own business. They could pay a little more for their talent.
Productive Workplace
Campus Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 28, 2016
This job experience has taught me a lot. I am responsible for admitting the student into the university. I enjoy working closely with students.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Nice Campus
Cons
No Security
Wouldn't recommend
Financial Services Specialist FA (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAMarch 22, 2016
Your position can change without consent from what you are hired on as. Tasks are often micromanaged and unreachable. Constant drama. Heavy workloads and small room for advancement. HR does not take concerns seriously and you are warned that going to HR will hurt your ability for advancement or to stay. High turn over rate and very little benefits. Would only recommend if your looking for a new position and need an in between.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
micro management
Productive Hard Working Team Environment
CAMPUS COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Lithonia, GAMarch 22, 2016
Strayer Lithonia Campus is a University of hard working talented individuals, who strive to not only be the best but produce SUCCESSFUL, EDUCATED, TALENTED, MOTIVATED students.
Pros
flexible hours, free lunches
Cons
compensation
Totally fraudulent and unethical
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 10, 2016
I was lied to about the work hours during the interview process. After receiving the job, I learned I was required to work 2 Saturdays every month, although I was told one Saturday every 2-3 months. After getting HR and the Regional VP involved, the campus manager then shifted the story to "Saturdays on a rotating basis," which often equates to 2 Saturdays each month because this admissions staff consists of only TWO people. I have several years of admissions experience and have NEVER seen an admissions staff this small-the size leads to many of the issues there. There was no work/life balance, as they expect work to be your life and have very little regard for any type of family situation that renders an employee unable to work. The training was subpar and often set employees up to be "redirected" on areas they were never trained on to begin with. This fuels the ego of the campus manager who has incredibly low self esteem and allows her to feel as if she is the expert, neglecting to see she is breaking down her staff members in the process. The centralized training in Virginia doesn't adequately train employees on how things are done on the local campus, as every campus handles admissions processes differently. Very high-school like environment where verbal insults are hurled by the campus manager, and often during team meetings. Lots of gossip and behind-the-back manipulation that occurs, from everyone, regardless of job title. Toxic environment. From a student's or outsider's perspective, Strayer is a wonderful school, but having worked there and left by choice shortly after  more... 90 days; I can from experience say the South Charlotte campus is as unethical as one would come to expect from any large, for profit institution. It's all about the numbers, although they will make you think it's not--until the campus is not hitting the numbers.The campus manager is a cancer that upper level management has refused to cut out and the market director is powerless to make any significant change to improve the employees' experience. Avoid this place at all costs if you desire to work in a positive, professional environment. If you just want a paycheck, go in, do what you need to do, and get out. Don't ever let them convince you they care about you as a person.  less
Pros
Free food/staff pot luck
Cons
Everything else, not worth the salary
All about the money!
Admissions (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 2, 2016
Not a great place to work, they don't care about the students or the employees. All they care about is the money and getting over on people. What they do in the dark will come to light and Strayer will be forced to do things differently. I did make a lot of money while I did work there!
Pros
Work from home and travel
Cons
All they care about is the money, poor students!