Strayer University Employee Reviews in United States

Unprofessional, retaliatory management
Learning resources center manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 30, 2013
Management is petty and unprofessional. My supervisor obstructed my efforts to do my job by failing (1) to follow through with requests I make that are related to my job expectations, and (2) to evaluate my work fairly, openly, constructively, and in accordance with Strayer policies. Instead, I was accused of not reminding her to do her job and taking unauthorized overtime - which I contradicted with pay stub evidence. So she arbitrarily changed my work schedule in retaliation. I complained to HR and even they did nothing to resolve the situation. DO Not work for this company unless you enjoy being treated like a doormat and then not get paid for it. This year the salaries increased a measly 2%, but they eliminated benefits and raised insurance costs to pay for it, so that employees are earning less this year than last.
Not bad but could be better
Regional Manager Business Operations (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAMay 13, 2016
It is a good place to start and grow, get out once you have built your professional skills. Good people. Tough industry to be in.
great changing company
Student Success Coach (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 9, 2016
Great benefits and amazing coworkers. Company is always adjusting and changing to better service the students. Its all about team effort.
Campus Director (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 17, 2014
Overall, Strayer is a great place to work, learn, and to be developed as a leader. The culture has changed from a top down mentally to a strategic flattened organization. This change has created a great advancement and growth for staff, faculty and the company as a whole. Meetings are strategically planned not to impede on your days so you can be productive. Pay is average, but the benefits are good. Most enjoyable part of the job is helping students achieve their goals.
Innovative
Business Account Development Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 12, 2016
Very people orientated. The culture is based on integrity and letting the employees handle they own business. They could pay a little more for their talent.
Great work place!
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLFebruary 7, 2016
Excellent culture to work in...Staff is always supportive of your needs. Very responsive to any assistance you request. Working with non-traditional adult learners where they learn a variety of disciplines.
Great Company to work with, Excellent Envirnoment
PeopleSoft Administrator (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAJanuary 8, 2016
Strayer is great place to learn new things, co worker are exceptionally professional and hard working. Management is very professional in all areas.
Cons
Healthcare, Flexible Schedules
Productive Workplace
Campus Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 28, 2016
This job experience has taught me a lot. I am responsible for admitting the student into the university. I enjoy working closely with students.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Nice Campus
Cons
No Security
All about the Numbers
Student Support/Admissions Officer (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 12, 2016
While this was a wonderful job opportunity right out of college it quickly proved to be all about the numbers game. While I understand that its a for-profit university and to continue new students and current students must register, I was not okay with letting my ethics take a back seat.
Pros
Great skill buliding opportunity
Cons
Did not align with my long term life goals
Workplace Diversity
Campus IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 7, 2013
According to the opinions of Social Scientist or Psychologists diversity refers to human qualities that are different from our own and those of groups to which we belong; but that are manifested in other individuals and groups. Dimensions of diversity include but are not limited to: age, ethnicity, gender, physical abilities or qualities, race, sexual orientation, educational background, geographic location, income, marital status, military experience, parental status, religious beliefs, work experience, proper job classification, office management and staff.
Pros
age diversity, ethnicity, gender, location, military experience, physical abilities or qualities
Cons
income diversity, work experience, proper job classification, educational background, benefits.
Could be better
Admissions Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 2, 2014
With just a couple modifications, Strayer could be the best for-profit University! Pay is pretty good starting off, but raises are horrible compared to other universities. 2% raise?!

At Columbia Campus, in the past year 10-12 new faces because of high turnover rate. Keep all personal opinions to yourself or you could be the next voted off island by Campus Director.

Campus Director is very unprofessional! Clothes are way too small and not proper business attire. She always creates drama and then pretends that she didn't say anything. She lies about everything and seems to find enjoyment in it all the time. Corporate and HR have received numerous complaints, but just don't care. If you lie on others to get in good with CD you can get promoted quick!

If you can ignore the fact that corporate does not care for your well being, campus level management is ridiculous, and there is always childish drama in your work environment you will be fine!
Pros
good product! great benefits! more opportunity if willing to relocate
Cons
poor management.
High Stress Atmosphere
Academic Advisor/ Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 9, 2014
I learned a lot while working at Strayer however I was not able to grow within the company. They move employees around to different campuses and states with no say so. I also hated the hours and working on the weekends. For-profit education is not a long term career choice unless you are prepared for a high stress atmosphere, long hours and lots of pressure to please stockholders.
benefits
Cons
hours, weekend work, management communication
Productive and friendly environment
Human Resources Professional (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAFebruary 25, 2014
Friendliest group of people to ever work for! Worked mainly in Human Resources and dealt with fellow employees, students and vendors. Great experience - moved within 3 different roles/departments to gain knowledge and experience. I enjoyed waking up and going to work everyday for this company. Never a dull moment and loved being productive and offering a helping hand when needed. Unfortunately, due to low enrollments (3 years in a row), the company was down sizing and did lay-offs. Would work there again if the opportunity presented itself. :)
Pros
great group of people to work with.
Cons
annual compensation/raise was low.
Learning & Growing Opportunities
Corporate employee (Former Employee) –  Northern VAAugust 13, 2015
In my case I was able to acquire a lot of good skills and experiences during my time there, in addition to enjoying my work, and I believe this is true for many. There has always been a great deal mobility (mostly upward), all over the company and for all of my years there. Layoffs are something that management tries hard to avoid, and in large part, succeeds. The work environment was reasonably pleasant for me, although I know this was not always true for everyone depending on the functional unit or the location or who is in charge (which I believe is probably also true everywhere). The difference between being a corporate employee and a field (campus) employee are enormous, hence reviews by corporate v field employees may vary widely.
Pros
Opportunity to support people trying to better themselves with education
Cons
Prefer not to even go there
Stellar Professional Environment
Admissions Officer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 26, 2014
Strayer University's Global Operations Center in Salt Lake City is a top-tier recruiting and enrollment platform for the University as a whole. It's leadership balances a hard-charging work ethic and passion for excellence with a true drive to see everyone in the organization succeed.
Pros
strong leadership, performance-based work environement, healthcare benefits, opportunity for advancement
Cons
sales-heavy environment, initial entry training does not transfer well to actual job performance
Productive company
Admissions Coordinator/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 5, 2013
I really enjoyed my job. The clients were like family. Management was the worst they only cared about how much money you could make for the company and did not care about the client's best interest. I worked at this company for almost five years and it was the best job I ever had since my first job. The hours are not built for someone with a family. I had to resign from my job because the director and I no-longer saw eye to eye.
Pros
benefits, advancement, safe environment, great pay.
Cons
hours, disrespect, not family oriented.
Fast paced, service oriented workplace
Admissions Advisor/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLJuly 15, 2013
A typical day at work can vary. In slow traffic days we perform admininstrative work (maintaining student records, attempting historical leads, conduct staff meetings). A normal to busy day at work would include several interviews with potential prospects, making sure all their questions are properly address in regards to academic programs, admissions process and financial aspects. I do have a very nice team and we try to level our workload so the office can perform at its max. Our Team has been ranked top 5 in the company (out of 109 offices) for the last four quarters. The hardest part of the job is dealing with rejection and making sure to keep a positive attitude when daily projections are not met. The most enjoyable part of the job is seing students succeed and better their lives after they start school.
Pros
regular business hours, healthcare benefits
Cons
compesation
Bad Experience
Adjunct Professor of Mathematics (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 17, 2016
Taught Statistics 1X/week. Very Boring as students were il-prepared for this curriculum.

I taught 4 hours per week. The other instructors were deeply in debt from their educational loans and the entire environment was dismal.
Pros
Cons
Waste of Time
Great place to work!
Learning Resources Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 14, 2012
The environment is warm and friendly. The staff are great to be around. The training and learning is easy to understand and adequate in most departments (Admissions, Business Office, Campus Directorship). The hardest part of the job (Learning Resources Center Manager) is finding resources to assist students. Sometimes no other staff are present during the hours of an LRCM.
Pros
flexible schedule, job security, great hours, great benefits
Cons
high turnover, difficult work culture, very profits driven
Good Company
Admissions Officer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 25, 2015
Family oriented, face paced, very energized company to work for. Flexible hours with great benefits. Room for advancement / growth and very diverse company