Strayer University

Strayer University Employer Reviews

Great Tuition Discount - get your Master's cheap!
Admissions Manager (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 18, 2014
Pros: competive pay, 90% tuition discount, good people
Cons: high pressure, too many organizational restructures, low-performers are likely making just as much as you
Strayer University operates each campus like a call center. You may have some face to face interaction, but that is primarily with your co-workers. Expect high pressure to deliver on daily objectives. The company values people that can handle pressure and deliver results.

I learned a lot about time management, interviewing, motivating employees and attention to detail.

Management for the most part is pretty strong, with the exception of those that were grandfathered in before degree requirements were mandatory. It is a good old boys network and promotion will only happen when you get on the inside of that circle.

The hardest part of the job is that there is no time to celebrate your accomplishments because you must deliver daily. It can be unfulfilling at times as you make hundreds of dials a day and must be able to handle rejection. You may also feel pressure to enroll a person in school that may not have the best chance for success, but the need to produce a result will usually win. In addition, as you can see in many other reviews, they change the corporate structure often. This leads to lay offs and constant turn over.

The most enjoyable part of the job is a combination of the relationships that you will build with your students and your coworkers. Strayer usually does a pretty good job attracting good quality people. Seeing a student through to graduation is the greatest feeling the job can offer... if you can get the opportunity to go to a graduation ceremony.
N/A
Student Account Representative/Admissions officer (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJuly 7, 2014
WORKING HERE WAS FUN YOU NEVER KNEW WHAT PERSON WOULD WALK IN YOUR DOOR OR WHOS LIFE YOU WOULD CHANGE I ENJOYED THE 2 YEAR I WAS THERE
Ping Pong table
Director of Operations/Admissions (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahJuly 6, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: * unorganized leadership
* Job Security
* Great people to work with
* Great benefits
* Management are unorganized
Good Experience
Computer Lab Technician (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJuly 3, 2014
Memorable life experience. Meeting all kinds of people and learning each country's culture think that I have the best job in the world.
professional/fun environment
Technical/Academic Assistant (Former Employee), Owings Mills, MDJune 30, 2014
strayer university is a great work environment with professional workers and scholars.
Result
Financial Analyst Consultant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 24, 2014
Pros: great learning experience
Cons: hours, and advancement
I really loved working in Finance and account management. Problem solving in the financial industry was one of my favorite things I have done. I took the job at PWT for more money and more advancement. I don't have any complaints, just good experience.
As a Campus Coordinator....
Campus Coordinator (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 22, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
As a Campus Coordinator , I'm dedicated to all departments and provides excellent Customer Services to staff and students. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the students happy. As a Campus Coordinator you must possess excellent organizational, interpersonal , and customer services skills, Be detail - oriented and self- motivated and effectively cope with stressful situations.
Fast paced environment dedicated to your achievement as a student.
Admissions Manager (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALJune 15, 2014
Great place to work for. Fast paced environment that has adopted industry trends.
An excellent place to work
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJune 14, 2014
Strayer University provided me with excellent opportunities to advance my teaching skills.
Educational environment was diverse and good place work when business is going well. When campus worked as a unit, the environment was at its best.
Student Accounts Representative (Former Employee), Glen Allen, VAJune 10, 2014
A typical day would begin with the servicing the student that was immediately on site or responding to phone messages from students. Review student records for registrations, and other required documents. Process other financial aid and business office requirements throughout day. This was a continual learning environment with the introduction of new internal or external policies and procedures for up-to-date Federal Requirements. Management worked from strong force of organization to a daily change in management responsibilities due to down-sizing of organization. Co-workers worked as close knit team with daily focus on meeting customer needs. Hardest part was the change in dynamics of student population and dynamics of company changes. The people were dedicated and committed to their jobs and were always great to
work with
Friendly Down to earth culture
SFS/Business Office Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee), Herndon VAJune 2, 2014
Typical day involved mainly running reports and making sure student accounts were up to date. Shifts on phone were spread out throughout team to avoid you being overwhelmed with calls all day. Company recently went through a major overhaul causing many jobs to be terminated, but then many more created. Managers are new to roles and many have little to no management experience or training. Hardest part of job: Corporate politics. You WILL be passed over for job opportunities for others who are more likable or well known. Most enjoyable were my work peers.
You would think that a place of Higher Education would be a little more professional , but this was not the case across the company. Too much turnover
Student Account Rep (Former Employee), Douglasville, GAMay 29, 2014
Pros: strayer has tuition assistance for employees.
Cons: high turnover across the board, no job growth, poor managment.
I enjoyed working with the student population. Academic staff and management was nice to work with. Staff on the Operational side such as ( Business office, Director) was not.The hardest part was watching poor management get rid of very good staff, but management had a very high turnover as well. It effected the student population. No matter how well you worked or how poorly , you received the same review with very little pay increase.
SFS Specialist
SFS Specialist (Current Employee), ChantillyMay 28, 2014
Pros: free food
If you want to work in a call center environment, then by all means this is the job for you. You will have to tell your bosses when you are using the bathroom because you are scheduled to be on the phones 80% of the time. It can be a great job, but due to the restructured organization, it is NOT! You will have to do lots of work for little pay. NOT WORTH IT! Don't let the recruiter lie to you!
Admissions Manager Review
Admissions Lead and Jack Welch Institute Liaison (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMay 19, 2014
Call and work with potential students. By guiding them through the admissions process for Strayer University. The hardest part of the job realizing that there are no advancement opportunities. The most enjoyable part was helping the students and working with a great staff.
Solid
Math Adjunct (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 15, 2014
It had been a great pleasure to work for Strayer University as a Math Adjunct.
nice workplace
Student Account Rep (Former Employee), Orlando, FLMay 13, 2014
Godd staff. Interesting students. Outgoing atmoshpere. Company goes through alot of internal changes
Ok place for a job
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 13, 2014
Decent place to work. Sometimes tough to recruit due to a lack of marketing. Solid work culture.
This a a temporary short term job
IT Help Desk Support (Contract) (Former Employee), Herndon, VAMay 5, 2014
I did learn a lot about customers doing this job. Learn how to treat the caller, troubleshoot and resolve any issue without escalation.
Placeholder while you look for a better job
Financial Aid Specialist (Former Employee), Herndon, VAApril 29, 2014
Great place to hold yourself down right after college while you are looking at other places to work at.

I worked at HQ and it's all about what circle you belong to and who likes who.

Even if you are the smartest, hardest, worker there, you will not be promoted if you aren't in the right circle of people. They will promote their own friends, relatives or people they like,

I was just there to collect my paycheck every two weeks.
I had a horrific experience working as an Adjunct there...
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee), Not disclosedApril 25, 2014
Cons: they will work you to death and fire you on a whim. run, don't walk away from this sham.
I worked as an adjunct (both online and on ground) for 2 years.

I spent countless, UNPAID hours going through online training for eCollege, and then they switched to Blackboard. And, I had to immediately go through another horrific training course for that platform. Blackboard isn't half as good as eCollege, so Strayer made a huge mistake (probably to save the almighty dollar).

I was given online classes that hadn't yet been developed, so I had to develop the classes before I could teach them. This, of course, was a surprise. And, I had to spend countless hours in short periods of time. I had to develop the classes in days, and the quality suffered.

After working there 2 years, a student complained that I wasn't responsive. But, I showed emails proving I had responded (the same day) and the student had even thanked me for my flexibility. But, I was mysteriously terminated shortly after that. My attempt to prove my innocence was for naught. The center director recorded me trying to defend myself from the false accusation, and this recording was used as "evidence" against me somehow. The manager was already being taken to court for firing someone else without cause. But, I an not a litigious person. So, I just got royally mistreated.

I was a great instructor, and my students loved me. But, they just wadded me up and threw me in the trash before I even had a chance to earn a return on all of the hours of training (without pay) that I had invested.

I have taught online classes for 13+ years at various other universities, and I can honestly say that Strayer was the worst of them all. I recommend people to run and not walk away from this so-called university. It is a complete sham. Stay away if you are smart. You can trust my comments.

About Strayer University

Strayer University makes it possible to go back to school while holding down a job.¬†Focusing on providing higher education programs – Read more

Strayer University Photos