Stripes Convenience Stores Employee Reviews

no fun
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 4, 2016
Waste of time working here. There was no room for growth or advancement. Management is no help and no work life balance. Must have a passion for tacos
Pros
nothing
Cons
no life
very productive work enviroment
Team Member (Former Employee) –  14550 john f kennedy blvd houston tx 77032April 3, 2016
My experience at Stripes was a fast pace somewhat friendly place to work at and very busy thats what i like, i learn about doing nightly closing paperwork, also learn about doing lottery and learn how to make different types beverages, management wasnt good at all to me they wasnt helpful at all, i love my co workers they help me when i need them we had fun and still work at the same time. the hardest part of my job was working by myself overnight, i had alot on my plate but i still gotta done in a timely manner. the most enjoyable part of my job is the customers faces they always had a smile on they face and they always cameback
Pros
like the customers and empolyees atmosphere, and learning more about the company i love my job..
Cons
need better management to run the store
Productive and fun working environment with opportunity for advancement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Maxwell, TXMarch 17, 2016
A typical day at work involved ringing up customer purchases and cashing them out. Daily duties include restocking of shelves and fountain area in accordance to company policy. Days I opened store I was in charge of counting all cash dropped in safe and balanced. Made deposits. I learned how to become management in less than a year. My coworkers worked as a team to get the store the way it should be always. i.e. cleaning, stocking, etc. There was really no part of this job that was hard. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers. I enjoyed all of them, the regulars, the non-regulars, I worked there almost 2 years and some of them were on a first name basis. If I could make my customers walk out with a smile then I believe I did a good job at the end of the day.
Negative and hostile work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  2202 waldron road Corpus Christi, TXAugust 30, 2016
HR management and Store management did not follow their own protocol for the store company values....very tyrannical...intimidation ...only wants to eat tacos
Too much discrimination...
Manager showing up drunk and didn't care how the store was run
Manager taking long smoking breaks and would leave me by myself in the store all day
Manager 's treatment of employees became physically hostile to the point of injury
Manager didn't care of store theft of merchandise or time loss
Manager allows employees to eat product with out paying for it
Working for this company is not worth it
Assistant Managers would not do anything as far as help with the cooler and stocking ice and would stand all day gossiping and being rude to customers
Pros
Cons
Horrible working environment..too much discrimination
Great Environment good Hearted people
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lampasas, TXJanuary 1, 2016
Being a manger is stressful in itself and that is what I loved about the company. Although it was stressful I was able to make my own decisions about my store and how my career would lay itself out with the company. Overall great company to work for it was just time to move on.
Pros
great pay
Cons
poor management
Poor leadership
Restaurant Associate (Current Employee) –  Rockport, TX 78382August 28, 2016
If business slows down your hours get cut from 40 hrs to 31 hrs or less. No matter how long you have been there. The manager of 2420 in Rockport TX has chose 2 ladies that have only been there for about a year. To let them hang on to most of their hours. Instead of the ones that have been there sense the grand opening. I would not rate this store very high at all.
Pros
If the right team is there could be a great place to work.
Cons
If business slows down hours get cut from 40 to 31 or less No matter how long you have been there.
Run Run Run
Team Member (Former Employee) –  TexasApril 23, 2016
I thought working for this company would be good until I found out that if anything happened to you while on duty.. Meaning if somebody came in to rob the store and if they would happen to shoot you and you didnt survive there is nothing stripes will do for your family.. You have to purchase insurance in case this happens.. Wrong wrong wrong
Now management.. Where do I begin??
I worked for somebody who was very loud and embarrassed her employees in front of customers by hollering at them.. She was always in a bad mood and believe me all the employees and customers knew it!!!
Bad management!! Just because your a manager doesnt mean you can make your employees feel like your nothing.
To many money problems in this store. Since there was thousands of $$$missing in one month instead of looking at employees look at management
Cons
There was always something to do and never a dull moment.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  4350 Andrew's Hwy.August 24, 2016
The hardest thing to do is to stay motivated because the work never stopped. There was so much work that had to be done that there really was no time for down time (something had to be stocked, cleaned, put away, organized or essentially done).
Pros
The one thing that I enjoyed is the fact that there was always work to be done, which meant that I would always have a job.
Cons
The only thing that really held me back was the scheduling and balancing with family life.
I enjoyed my time spent with this company!
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Stanton, TXFebruary 1, 2016
If this company would have granted me the maternity leave when necessary, (due to my consistency) id still be management with this company today. My manager was very patient and understanding. My coworkers communicated well amongst one another. The hardest part of my whole shift was getting things together for the next shift nut, it always got done! And. on time. My most favorite about this job is getting regular customers and them greeting me upon arrival before i ever got a chance to even greet the,!
Great first job for any teen,
Subway (Former Employee) –  Nixon, TXMay 31, 2016
There was always something to do. I had fun but I knew when it was time to work. I learned new skills such as how to keep the workplace santitary, how to be responisible if any mistakes are made and also how to interact with customers and co-workers. A typical day at work would be making sandwiches, cleaning the lobby, and prepping in the back. I did not agree with how our manager did things, but I never questioned it I just did what I was asked and continued throughout my day. It was very easy to get along with all of my co-workers which made the job fun overall. The hardest part of the job was closing for the day because unlike opening, everything has to be done and put away before you leave. The most enjoyable part of the job was making different types of sandwiches and helping the other side of the store make food to. I would recommend this as a first job to any teen because it is fun and easy but also teaches you primary skills which can be used in future jobs.
Pros
Making friends, Learning new things, good pay, happy environment
Cons
Little to no breaks, unfair management decisions
Good working enviroment
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburg, TX 78541May 17, 2016
As a General Manager for Stripes, my daily job duties and responsibilities consisted but was not limited to daily Bank deposits, balancing daily close out paperwork and submitting it to accounting auditors. Managing and operating the retail side of the business as well as the restaurant and the fuel area. Managing three different major departments in the store in order to meet the daily, weekly and monthly budgets. Supervising 22 to 25 employees with the business operating 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Preparing for local health inspections to the company’s own inspectors for the restaurant and auditors, as well as store inspections from Area Managers, Regional Managers to the Vice-President of the company, not to mention 90 days store audits. Operating a multi-million dollar a year store, it’s operating profit, maintaining and working under budget as well as having excellent communication with staff but not to mention the customers and meeting their needs.
Pros
Business trips paid for
Cons
long working days (16 hr shifts at times)
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Uvalde, TXSeptember 22, 2016
customer service and maintenance.

how to provide excellent customer service and maintain the stores appearance.

the management was okay, but did have favorites within the store and company.

the hardest part of the job was to keep up with all the responsibilities when you are working with lay people.

the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to make new friends and meet some amazing people.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no breaks
Temp
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 6, 2016
Its a lot of heavy labor intensive work where on a daily basis everything needed for both breakfast and lunch has to be restocked, made, and served to all customers. That was the good part. There was always an us against them attitude where its store side versus food side and the political games made by management was very unjust. Great to hear they all got what was coming to them.
Pros
Learning something new
Friendly environment .
Merchandise Stocker (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXJanuary 14, 2016
Stripes is a fast paced environment with a focus on maximum customer satisfaction. The leadership holds store associates to the highest standards. Being a convenience store, the work life balance is not consistent. Hours can vary depending on revenue, so you may be called to come in on your day off or to only work a portion of your daily/weekly scheduled hours. Overall I enjoy working at Stripes and being part of the Stripes team.
Pros
Free drinks, customer interaction
Cons
Short breaks
Stable company with growth potential
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXApril 27, 2016
This company provides a good income and incredible benefits. However, you must be willing to work erratic work schedules, and very long hours. Upper management changes frequently, and unfortunately favoritism is a constant issue. You must be a strong leader and be able to follow constant changes with each location even though the company boasts a unified process of operation, each location "does it's own thing."
Pros
fair wages and great benefits
Cons
shift work, no lunch breaks, erradic schedules and long hours
Fun upbeat place
cashier (Former Employee) –  Kyle, TXJanuary 12, 2016
My job at stripes was a cashier. I enjoyed working there because the people were amazing. Our customers became family.
Management was fun, but also made sure we did our jobs appropriately. My co-workers and I were a team. We had fun but got the job done. Hardest part of job was when we got extremely busy and I felt like my hands wouldnt move fast enough. Best part of the job was hearing the customers thank me even though I felt like I was going too slow.
Almostimpossible to move up in the company.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXAugust 16, 2016
Applied for Asst. Mgr. position none was available at that time and was asked if I would be a cashier until one opened. I agreed and a year and a half later still a cashier while both Asst. Mgr. positions have been vacated and refilled.

Went from part time making 50+nhours a week to full time making 30-34 hours a week, with more duties added on.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Uvalde, TXMay 11, 2016
The opportunity to work for a company that started off small and has now surpassed a lot of expectations was great. Being around all the merchandise and fashion was a major plus.Especially getting to know the trends that were out for the seasons.
Pros
Fun products.
Cons
Sales Associates were assured the hours
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Isabel, TXSeptember 9, 2016
This was my first retail store I had worked for that I started off as a sales associate. Before I knew it I asked to be trained for assistant manager. I learned about merchandising the products, displays and promoting merchandise. Ordering supplies and more product etc.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No lunches out.
IT was a good place to work
ASSISTANT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXApril 21, 2016
I really enjoyed working for stripes it was fun and always nice to inter act with the customers ...My co -workers was very good people we was like close family..The hardest part of my job when we had to call the police on someone,our to let someone go,the most enjoyable time was when we had our yearly picnic,now that was fun most all I learned how to handle money..Do a atm machine,paper work and very good costumer service with a smile.
Pros
WE had free drinks and lunch
Cons
Health care

Stripes Convenience Stores Reviews by Location