Strive

Strive Employer Reviews

A fun job readiness program
Student Worker (Current Employee), Hartford, CTMarch 20, 2014
Pros: free snacks
Cons: walking there
A typical day a STRIVE is going in class waiting for the instructors to come in, after that we will go to computer lab and work for about 30 minutes or sometimes a hour. After we are done with are online training we go back in the class and do either mock interviews or paper work. I learned a lot of things about having a job like how you have to act, – more... when to call in late or out, and also how to treat customers. My instructors are very good at their job they make sure i get every single thing they're teaching me because they want me to become a better person and have a job. My classmates are really smart and fun i have a good time when i am at STRIVE they're nice and sincere people and i get along really well with them. There is no hard thing about this program all you have to do is come everyday to class and be on time and that is not hard. The most enjoyable part of the program is that sometimes we have fun days like pizza party or movies night but that's only if we behave and earn it. – less
Loved this job
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COFebruary 26, 2014
Extreamly rewarding. I was looking for a more full filling job, I found it. I love the residents and makeing them feel cared for and loved.
Positive, productive, excellent working enviroment
RECEPTIONIST/ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee), New Haven, CTDecember 27, 2013
Pros: team work
I would recommend STRIVE as a positive and productive workplace.
This is a career building program with some jobleads.
Career building course (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 2, 2013
Pros: learning new ways to communicate.
Cons: not be able to control certian situations.
I enjoyed my month at Strive it was a true accomplishment to finish as well as Graduate.
STRIVE-New Haven is a professionally edifying and learning work environment.
Administrative Aide (Current Employee), New Haven, CTJune 25, 2013
Pros: training is readily available.
Cons: position is temporary and part time.
I greet perspective participants, issue applications and explain instructions for completion; input intake information, prepare spread sheets for record keeping, create participant folders, and develop proficient skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and operation of office machinery. In addition, I maintain a professional work environment while forming lasting – more... professional relationships. – less
Productive, Fun and Family Oriented work Place
Lead Trainer (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 24, 2013
Pros: excellent place in which to excel
Cons: can't really think of any
There is no doubt that I loved my job at STRIVE, which stands for: Support Training Results in Valuable Employee. A typical day at work started with going over the curriculum on my phone while taking the train to work. Once at STRIVE, a good cup of coffee, and saying good morning to all who walk through the door. At 8:45, we start with partners, a very – more... effective exercise and for those individuals who come in late we have a discussion as to why they are late, this would done in front of the entire class and what can be done to avoid them being late in the future, and then we move on to Sexual Harassment on the work place, we will spend most of the morning on this subject. Then we have lunch, most of the time instead of taking an hour lunch, I’ll take a half hour and do my notes on each client just to be up to date, because some of my cases notes consisted of approximately anywhere from 50 to 90 participants, especially if a client is going through a really tough time. Then we will do a lot of resume building and articulating their resume. Then at 3:30 pm we would handout the $4.00 metro cards and finish our case notes for that day. That was just one day; out of a 30 days curriculum. Every single day was something different, it was great.
As for what I learned during my 11 years there, everything from Intake, to Special Population Recruiter, for approximately 6 months I had the honor and pleasure of running the entire Training Department by myself, of course staff members all helped and the job was done effectively for 6 months. I have learned so much at this organization that today I along with one of my graduate’s are in the process of finishing our own company. I and won’t elaborate any further only to say that we about to become a force to be reckon. STRIVE has shaped and molded me and countless other into hard working, dedicated outside the box thinkers and the proof will not only be seen but heard as well.
It is very important for management to be supportive of their workers and that is one thing I can attest to at STRIVE, you can turn to management with any issue and you will be heard and assisted every step of the way.
Please understand that Co-worker at STRIVE were more like family, we worked hard, and played just as hard but always, no matter what, keeping the integrity of the Organization in mind because we are examples and as such are always watched.
The hardest part of my job was getting men and women to believe in a system that they no longer have faith in and this had to be accomplished within 30 days. I worked with everyone from people with College Degrees, GED, to assisting individuals obtain their GED; from substance abuser to formerly incarcerated individuals coming out of prison after doing 10, 20, 30 years. Yes, I love my job and will be doing it again shortly.
The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people who felt lost, disregarded, and not included in anything simply because they made a mistake in their lives. I am a STRIVE Graduate, and I am proof that you can turn things around for the better, I will not stand by and allow anyone to dictate, who I am, what I can do, where I can go or what I can become those days are over, and being that no one seem to want to take a chance on me, because of past, or the economy, then I will create my own and help and hire as many people as I can because everyone deserves a fair chance. – less
professional organization
Student (Former Employee), Boston, MAMay 1, 2013
Strive has helped me a lot with professional training and multiple skills .
good people at Strive
o computer care & administrator (Former Employee), Flint, MIMarch 19, 2013
Pros: nice people, learn more about working in general, teamwork, leadership experience
Cons: i can't think of none
It was a seasonal summer job. They not only put us to work they taught us about resumes & how to get another job. they helped us put together new email addresses & really cared about us working there for the season. Though one of my partners I worked with did seem a bit shady at times he was in a way a good guy.

We tried to get people to come to this – more... center so we can teach them computers which in the start was kind of hard. we taught kids how to use computers & some of those kids was very intelligent. the good kids helped us out with some of the other kids when we had trouble.

I like seeing people learn & help each other. after we really got working it wasn't really that hard a job. I even brought my game system so kids can have something to play & can relax while we teach others. – less
excellent benefits
Mental Health Professional (Former Employee), North Little Rock, ARJanuary 12, 2013
excellent benefits, very low pay for the work, opportunities for growth, great learning environment
A non -profit agency dedicated and committed to helping people find employment
Job Developer (Former Employee), New Haven, CTDecember 29, 2012
Pros: convenient downtown location
Working at STRIVE New Haven was a very rewarding experience. I learned quite a bit from my employers/mentors, and even more from my clients.. Although we had a very small staff, we worked well together as a team, dedicating ourselves to assisting STRIVE graduates in their job searches and continuing professional development.
Productive and fun dancing with the clients during break time
DSW (Former Employee), New Orleans, LASeptember 7, 2012
Pros: dancing with the clients
Cons: short breaks
I learned that everyone is different such as blind, handicap, or def. The hardest part was getting the individuals to comprehend. I enjoyed this job not only because of the love I had for the clients, I also enjoyed my co-workers who were very easy to get alone with.
Productive and fun dancing with the clients during break time
DSW (Former Employee), New Orleans, LASeptember 7, 2012
Pros: dancing with the clients
Cons: short breaks
Strive was a catalyst in my life
Job Developer (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 23, 2012
Pros: great national and community program. good for people looking to get back into workforce.
I was a job developer at Strive. My job was developing a pipeline of employers for gradutes of job readiness program. It was great job to learn about people's barriers to employment. We served the unemployed, under employed and hard to employ. It helped that Strive was a attitudinal job readiness training because participants needed more training with – more... their attitude more than hard skills. – less
nice place to work
Housekeeping (Former Employee), Prophetstown, ILJune 8, 2012
Pros: free lunch
i did housekeeping. worked with some great people. got along with everyone. did things on my own schedule.
Rewarding, work with people who struggle through life.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), DORCHESTER, MAMay 22, 2012
Pros: people, are the greatest reward.
Cons: short breaks
STRIVE is an organization that changes lives. I come in contact with people from all walks of life that just need a hand to get life on track. I've learned that there are a lot of people in this world that from birth didn't have a chance to have a normal up bringing they were exposed to hard times and abuse. Through inexperience they took wrong turns – more... and they need to learn the basics to support themselves and go though higher education and just learn basic etiquette in a professional setting.
Management is very supportive, my co-workers are life changers, the hardest part of the job is when people quit and the most enjoyable part of my job is the success stories. – less
The best place to work in
Lead Trainer (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 2, 2012
There is no doubt that I loved my job at STRIVE, which stands for: Support Training Results in Valuable Employee. A typical day at work started with going over the curriculum on my phone while taking the train to work. Once at STRIVE, a good cup of coffee, and saying good morning to all who walk through the door. At 8:45, we start with partners, a very – more... effective exercise and for those individuals who come in late we have a discussion as to why they are late, this would done in front of the entire class and what can be done to avoid them being late in the future, and then we move on to Resume out line and interviewing techniques, we will spend most of the morning on this subject. Then we have lunch, most of the time instead of taking an hour lunch, I’ll take a half hour and do my notes on each client just to be up to date, because some of my cases notes consisted of approximately anywhere from 50 to 90 participants, especially if a client is going through a really tough time. Then we will do a lot of resume building and articulating their resume. Then at 3:30 pm we would handout the $4.00 metro cards and finish our case notes for that day. That was just one day; out of a 30 days curriculum. Every single day was something different, it was great.
As for what I learned during my 11 years there, everything from Intake, to Special Population Recruiter, for approximately 6 months I had the honor and pleasure of running the entire Training Department by myself, of course staff members all helped and the job was done effectively for 6 months. I have learned so much at this organization, STRIVE has shaped and molded me and countless other into hard working, dedicated outside the box thinkers and the proof will not only be seen but heard as well.
The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people who felt lost, disregarded, and not included in anything simply because they made a mistake in their lives. I am a STRIVE Graduate, I am proof that you can turn things around for the better, I will not stand by and allow anyone to dictate, who I am, what I can do, where I can go or what I can become those days are over, and being that no one seem to want to take a chance on me, because of past, or the economy, then I will create my own and help and hire as many people as I can because everyone deserves a fair chance. – less
fast paced
MHPP (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARMarch 4, 2012
An orginzation with a goal of advocating and assisting at risk children and their families

About Strive

STRIVE is a recognized leader in securing jobs for the chronically unemployed, supporting them in taking the critical first step – Read more