Student Conservation Association

Student Conservation Association Employee Reviews

I Loved this job!
Apprentice Crew Leader (Former Employee), Detroit, MIApril 2, 2015
Pros: Free lunches/ built friendships
Cons: really hot outside, and rainy days
I really loved this job it made me a way better person. This job really helped me become a leader. This job helped me become organized, and learn how to listen to people, and give mutual advice.
Living and working in the woods
Environmental Educator and Trail Professional (Former Employee), Allenstown, NHMarch 22, 2015
Pros: living in the woods
Cons: living with the people you worked with
I lived in a cabin with a wood stove, walked a1/4 mile to the bathroom and kitchen and loved every minute of it. We lived with the people we worked it. The days were never the same and the season changes meant new and different work.
Great for a post grad experience
Environmental Educator (Former Employee), Hawley, MAFebruary 24, 2015
10 month residential internships in the Berkshires of MA. You will learn teaching techniques for elementary school and be involved with trail projects and crew leading.
hard working
student worker (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 14, 2015
A typical day at work included trail restoration, litter pick up and graffiti removal. Hardest part of working would be dong manual labor in the heat. Most enjoyable part of the day would be getting to work with a great group of people.
Average
Labor Worker (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 3, 2015
● Close un-authorized trails and create official trails in Frick Park
● Performed conservation work and task
○ Remove debris left by previous visitors
○ Utilized teamwork to complete task
○ Built a road path
Fun place to get an internship done.
GIS Intern (Former Employee), Boise, IDJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: all expenses are covered when you work for them. (lodging, food, etc.)
Cons: will not make money
The Student Conservation Association is great place to get started. You will learn a lot and make friends doing it. Everyone that works for the Association has a great personal skills. You will not get rich working here, but you will learn great values and make some life long friends.
School year
Volunteer (Former Employee), Seattle, WADecember 26, 2014
Pros: camp trips
During the summer of 2014, I did a six week summer job doing trail maintenance and invasive species removal. I learned a lot of job readiness skills.
It was a great job as a student.
Crew Member (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 8, 2014
Pros: outside environment
Cons: lack of organization
I worked here as one of my first jobs. It helped me a lot with my team skills and how to cooperate with coworkers
SCA Review
Fall Alumini Member (Former Employee), Washington. DCMay 28, 2014
Pros: free transportation
The Student Conservation Association is a great company and program. They have many opportunities for students age 13- 18 and also for people ages 19+ . They provide students the opportunity to work together to help clean and restore local and national parks all across the United States. They have many internships and programs in connection with the National Park Service. I've learned more and more about natural wildlife and invasive species and native plants. The job is not hard at all. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people and making friends.
great intewrnship
Highschool Program Summer Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 26, 2014
set me up to transition into a full time positions after graduation. Defiantly not a making copies getting coffee type of internship.
Fun workplace with a terrific view
Intern, Voyageurs National Park (Former Employee), MNMarch 14, 2014
I worked at Voyageurs National Park for a summer. It was a great experience, where I met a lot of different people. I also learned a lot about nature.
First Internship
Plant Community Intern for The Natural Conversancy (Former Employee), Blakely, GAFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: supervisor is willing to teach
Cons: very limited compensation
Work are mostly treating invasive plant species. Hardest part of the job is work under very muggy and hot weather.
SCA is great
Conservation Crew Member (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NY/ New HampshireFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: scholarship money, great life experience
Cons: strange lifestyle
Working with the SCA was a great experience. I completed two internships with the SCA both of them awarded me scholarships that helped pay off college loans.
One internship was with the New Hampshire Conservation Corps based out of Bear Brook State Park in NH. My duties for this internship were to build trail structures such as bridges and staircases. Structures were built out of logs and stone. I worked in both front country and back country settings using chain saws and hand tools to achieve the crews goals. This was not only a job but also a life experience because crews were asked to go on 24 day work hitches on location. This involved living and working with your crew mostly out of tents in a backcountry setting,
The other internship was at The Gateway National Recreation Area in NYC. During this internship my responsibilities included developing a Bike tour for the public at the historic Floyd Bennet Air Field, taking inner city youth on sailing excursions on Jamaica Bay and leading environmental education programs with local youth.
Great people to work with
Team Member (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 22, 2014
We cleaned up the community, planted trees and tended to lawns.
A good start for students to get their feet wet and find suitable work
Manuel Laborer (Former Employee), Columbia County, NYJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: worked outside, was fed, had cigarette breaks
Cons: didnt pay well, bi-weekly paychecks
It was a good starting job, the pay wasnt fantastic but the work that the SCA had us doing was fun, interesting and hard. The SCA gave workers a chance to build a resume and get an idea what the green collar industry is like. Mostly outdoors, the work kept me active and wanting bigger and better things for myself. Character building would be what I would call the SCA, and especially the group leaders opened up my mind to more than just kitchen duties.
Great job - summer program
Recruiting Coordinator - internship (Former Employee), Stamford, CTDecember 20, 2013
it allows you to increase your knowledge about the environment in Stamford. Green projects are part of this program. you have to start with a great motivation
Great to work in the Outdoors during the Summer
Visitor Use Surveyor (Former Employee), Oxford, MSOctober 30, 2013
Pros: conservation work, being outside, sightseeing, being active
Every five days, we go to ACE recreational sites to interview visitors that were leaving for the day. We did this so that we could understand how we could make the parks better. We stayed at a rental house for the summer and were able to get along and know each other. Once a week, we do conservation work at a certain place such as trail maintenance, trash pickup, and gardening at a farm and community. I got to learn how to manage waste and conserve energy better than usual. The most enjoyable part of the job was being family with my team, working together, and got to do fun things as well.
Fun, Fun, Fun
Student Crew member (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 25, 2013
Pros: planting tree & digging paths. wonderful experience
Cons: physically challenging
I worked there for two summers during my high school years. I enjoyed collaborating with my fellow team mates. I also felt I made a difference with saving the environment.
Hard Work.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAAugust 6, 2013
I must say that volunteer work is so much fun especially when your in another state plus meeting new people.
SCA
City Crew Leader (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 7, 2013
Had a great experience as a city crew leader in Pittsburgh. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested as it really was an experience that changed the way I view the city.

Student Conservation Association Salaries

Senior Crew Member
$8.25 per hour
Crew Leader
$500 per week

Student Conservation Association Photos

Prescribe burn
An SCA Leader Team hiking out of the canyon after a days work on Hermits Trail.