Study.com Employee Reviews

Great part time work
Freelance Writing Contractor (Former Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 12, 2017
If you are looking for something on the side or part time, this is perfect. I wrote and transcribed for Study.com while on maternity leave, and it was exactly what I needed.
Pros
Work as much or as little as you want, they offer you different and better positions based on merit
Cons
Limited availability on work load, not typically enough to live on
Study.com is awesome!
Software Engineer in Test (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAAugust 30, 2017
A typical work day is I come around 8 or 8:30 (but that is just me, people come in between 7AM and 10AM) and look at our sprint backlog or any tasks I had started the day before. I am a software engineer in test so I may also look at bugs people have filed, file some myself, and/or look at the nightly test results. I am part of a feature team that has 2 week sprints and does all the typical scrum ceremonies. I work in a cross functional team that includes product managers, designers, developers, and data analysts. We also have innovation time, where you can work on projects that interest you outside of the normal sprint work. The hardest part of my job is finding the balance between testing and agility that every one is comfortable with.

But by far the most enjoyable part of my job is the people! I have made so many awesome friends at study.com, and everyone is friendly and approachable!!
Pros
awesome people, free food, happy hours every week, free caltrain pass, free gym membership, very welcoming to families, all health care paid for (you pay half for dependents), very into scrum, the right way.
Cons
finding the balance between testing and agility
Great for freelancers to choose work load
Content Writer (Current Employee) –  RemoteJuly 30, 2017
Study.com is a great place to work as a freelancer. I can work as much or as little as I want on a daily or weekly basis. Writing a lesson requires some research or personal knowledge about a subject.
Pros
Pay per blog/lesson/project
Cons
Availability of projects
Content Writer/Content Editor (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMay 3, 2017
I've had a pretty great experience working for Study.com. It's made me a better writer and editor and I highly recommend a job like this for anyone in the arts, particularly writing (which is the case with me).

Unfortunately, there's not much room for advancement for the contract positions. I was moved up from content writer to content editor after working with Study.com for only a year and I've received periodic raises, but those eventually dried up.

That all said, I'd definitely recommend Study.com to anyone with writing and editing skills who needs some good supplemental income.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not much room for advancement
You could make more as a piece worker in a shoe factor
Assessment Item Writer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 20, 2017
Study retains a well compensated internal staff in California and farms out the balance of the work to poorly compensated contractors. They want to hire highly educated and experienced professionals and pay nothing for their time and efforts. They hired me to write assessment items and once I completed the on-boarding materials was informed there were no projects available other than quiz optimization. Most of the quizzes are so poorly written, you are optimizing nothing and rewriting the entire quiz. When you send it on for review, the internal reviewers ask for more additional work for a few dollars per quiz. If you are looking for good paying side job, don't waste your time with this company.
Pros
Remote work on your own schedule. No minimum amount of work required. Pay seems to come as promised.
Cons
The compensation for contractors is horrible, In-house staff review and approve your work on their own schedule, the training documents are poorly organized and not well written
Flexible and exciting work environment
Assessment Reviewer (Current Employee) –  RemoteDecember 30, 2016
Flexible schedule reviewing library of quizzes and assessments. Most enjoyable - I can work as much as I want. I have learned about publishing companies and item writing.
Love it!
Assessment Reviewer (Current Employee) –  RemoteDecember 29, 2016
I love being an Assessment Reviewer for Study.com Great work and life balance. I enjoy the freedom of working from home.
Good for making money, not much else.
Content Writer and Editor (Current Employee) –  RemoteNovember 24, 2016
Study.com is an education related website offering articles and videos focused on college students and those wishing to pursue higher education, previewing different schools, careers, majors, and various other subjects along with tutoring services. As a consumer, it is perfectly fine, but as an employee, I have mixed feelings about my time working there.

The best part is certainly the payment. I started there making $10, as have others I've recommended to the company that were hired. Base pay for all employees seems to be above minimum wage. Additionally, after a month or two of working there, I was promoted and given a raise equaling $12.

The downside to this comes with your position as a freelancer. Your wages are this high because the company does not legally have to (nor do they) provide any benefits. As a write/editor, do not expect to receive any form of compensation for your work outside of your salary, which they give you twice monthly as a direct deposit into your PayPal account.

Given that this is remote work, I am able to set my own hours and work virtually whenever I feel like. In addition, articles to work on are kept in a communal pool for checkout, meaning that I can continue to write for as long as that specific set of work is available. It is advantageous to work around the standard 9-to-5 California time, though, as that seems to be when the majority of employees who review your work will be active, meaning you can more easily find help for your issues or questions more promptly.

On the subject of help, management is one of the worst parts of the
  more... job. No one on the management or reviewing side is particularly disagreeable, but they are all completely unreliable. If you send in a question or need support at any point outside of the 9-to-5 timeframe on a weekday, you will NOT be receiving a response until the next business day. Everyone, including IT, takes the weekend off.

This can be particularly frustrating when it comes to reviewers. Articles are only recorded on your invoice after a reviewer has checked and approved your work. Regardless of how many articles you actually complete at a time, it is entirely dependent upon this second set of people to check your work before you can be paid for it. This falls into a similar issue as management, as few people work beyond those hours, weekends, or (the entire week of) holidays.

In summation, while Study.com offers a good service and has decent pay for what you do, it is not a company you can expect to advance in. If I still work there five, ten, or twenty years from now, I do not expect to be making a single cent more than I do now.
Pros
Decent pay, flexible hours, consistent work.
Cons
Poor management, unreliable staff, no benefits.
Not worth the time or effort
Lesson Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 23, 2016
This company is fine if you're ok with getting paid very little for what they expect in return. They constantly claim that they pay competitively, but professional editors are paid far more than what this company offers. Communication and organization are very poor from the in-house team as well.
Pros
you get paid
Cons
low pay, disorganized company, poor communication
I love writing science lessons from home
Lesson Plan Consultant, Present (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVAugust 30, 2015
I had been a teacher in public school and then I became a stay-at-home dad. Study.com has given me the opportunity to still be involved with education with 99% less stress and I get to hang out with my son all day.
Pros
Ease
Cons
wiki formatting
Terrible place to free lance for
REMILON Curriculum Outline Writer (Current Employee) –  massachusettsAugust 25, 2015
They treat their freelance writers like servants, Low pay, can be fired for asking a question... etc. But worse than all that is the fact that after working for them for a awhile, you begin to feel dirty. They present themselves as idealists who offer cheap education, but actually, they have an inferior product which they do not bother to check at all carefully. I have corrected so many basic things on lessons that were already up and running...Lessons on plays where they get the name of the play wrong, names of people, grammar, etc. Because you are inexpensive, it doesn't mean your work has to be cheap.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
Bad pay and treatment, shoddy product
Good side job
Contract Editor (Current Employee) –  Portland OrJuly 15, 2015
I am a contract video editor and it is a good job to do on the side for some extra money. It's convenient, you work for home and you can edit as little or as much as you would like. However the pay is not that great for how long some of the videos take and it can take a long time for the video reviewers to look at your video and you don't get paid until your video passes.
Pros
work from home, convenient
Cons
low pay, not reliable source of income
Pay as Agreed
Online Course Outline Developer (Current Employee) –  Freelance work from homeJune 3, 2015
I have found the company to be honest and pays as agreed. I have not worked for them very long, but at this time I have no complaints.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Study.com. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9