Suburban Hospital Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace with good career future
Doctor (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 12, 2016
clinical work;
social communication and professional knowlege;
nice co-workers;
the job is quite nice;
be succeed in treating patients and make them satisfaction.
Pros
Free lunches and snacks
Overall Experience
Orthopedic Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDNovember 16, 2016
I enjoy working there I have learned a lot and still learning. I work with amazing surgeons, whom help me grow, I have a great team that i work with..
Pros
Very teamwork oriented
Cons
Commute can be very long
Busy work place
HR Specialist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDNovember 4, 2016
I was in charged of filing all the employees paper work and made sure everything was put in the right place. And also made folders for new hires and helped with organizing the rooms for new hire orientation.
productive and condusive work place
Registered Nurse II - Acute Medical (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJuly 5, 2016
Staff friendly and calm environment, staff work together, management very supportive of staff. Resource nurses excellent response and diverse knowledge. Doctors very respectful of nurses and collaborate effectively for excellent patient outcome.
Pros
good patient to nurde ratio
Cons
not so excellent employee benefit
It is a decent place to work with a supporting staff
An employee (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJanuary 15, 2017
It is a decent place to work with a supporting staff. There is no hesitation as to where you can go if you have any questions.
Was a great learning Experience
PRN CT Technologist (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 21, 2016
Was there for a short term but learned some very good Trauma skills. How to function in a high pace, high pressure situation
low morale
Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMay 5, 2016
I worked at Suburban Hospital for over nine years... It has changed so much, and not for the better!! We had the murder in 2011 in the boiler room, and got through it, but management just kept getting worse and worse, so I went to Shady Grove Adventist and it is so much better in every way! When Hopkins took over, it was the beginning of the end for Suburban Hospital... Think twice before working there. Also, you have to park about 10 minutes away from the hospital, and ride an over crowded shuttle bus.. Miss the bus by only 30 seconds, and the next one took another 15 minutes to arrive, and then another 10 minutes to the hospital!!
Pros
some good people to work with
Cons
off site parking, poor management
Help Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 6, 2016
Get calls from medical personnel on both hardware and software issues and help with setup and configuration of IT appliances.
Great environment
Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 16, 2015
A company that strives in integrity, compassion and value to make sure that our patients needs are well taken care of under our facility.

Co workers are very active and great team players. The goals is to work together to make the hospital a safe, comfortable and friendly atmosphere for our patients to experience while under our care.

The hardest part of this job is confidentiality. Many patients are admitted to the hospital, therefore friends, family, neighbors co workers and etc wants updated information on a patient room numbers and certain things is not allowed to be shared unless to immediate family. It hard to explain when an individual is very concerned with another person well being.
Undergoing many changes
Hospitalist Physician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDFebruary 29, 2016
Suburban was merged with Johns Hopkins Medicine. It has always been a small community hospital, but the merger has created a different culture quite diverse from where it was previously.
Could be worse...
respiratory therapist (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDOctober 28, 2015
The individuals in the department are friendly and depending on which shift you're working are helpful. The older therapist act "entitled", meaning they don't have to do as much because they've been there the longest.

The new manager is seems so-so, doesn't really know what he's doing yet.

Every department has its ups and downs, so it could be worse. Overall, its fair enough to work.
Pros
Great co-workers!
Cons
Too many new policies, manager is not experienced.
Executive Director did not have a clue.
Manager of Collections (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDNovember 4, 2015
Executive director did not have a good understanding of what was required from him. Spent a good deal of his time creating graphs for department presentations.
Very productive and structured place to work.
Registered Respiratory Therapist/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJuly 22, 2015
Work at Suburban Hospital can go many different ways. It can be slow during the off-season and soar during flu and pneumonia season. Our department is very efficient. We work well as a team and accomplish our set goals and those of the hospital.
Improved with new managment
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMarch 10, 2015
The laboratory has improved dramatically with the new management team brought from Johns Hopkins. My co-workers were the best part of the job. Middle management was satisfactory, but not stellar.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the uneducated nurses who did not collect the samples appropriately and/or expected lab results to be completed mere minutes after receiving the sample.

The lack of respect and understanding from the hospital was hard to take at times. Lab work is a lot more than just pressing a button, but this understanding doesn't expand beyond the laboratory.
Pros
Diversified work
Cons
Poor scheduling
Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDOctober 12, 2015
Good place to work .A good envoirment to grow with supportive.Colleagues are helpful n supportive.Lots of learning space and doing right work.
Pros
FRIENDLY ENVOIRMENT
Cons
NOTHING
Great Hospital
Radiology Office Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJanuary 8, 2015
My day consisted in scheduling patients, medical billing, and controlled schedules for physicians. I love being in a position that helped people help people. I want to continue with that feeling of being a part of a team. My co-workers are the some of the best professionals that I have ever had the pleasure of working with. The hardest part of my job was working and watch patients be in pain, but knowing that I was there along side nurses,doctors and technical staff to bring the patients some sort of comfort was the best feeling in the world for me.
Pros
free parking, with shuttle service.
Cons
no real cons.
Profitable place to work in a great area of Maryland with knowledgable doctors and nurses.
Emergency Department staff RN (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDNovember 7, 2014
Suburban is a little piece of heaven in a quiet area of Maryland that serves as the heart for medical services just north of DC. Although lunch breaks got ignored more often than not and the medical equipment could be considered vintage, the teamwork among peers secured the desire to go back to work each shift. The pay is generous, the staff is knowledgable, and the community is appreciative.
Pros
Great support system integrated into the chain of command during peak times, good teamwork utilized with peers, lots of donations of food to the ER and financial support from the community.
Cons
Lunch breaks almost never given, out of date equipment.
Good Job but......
Registered Nurse-Contract Nurse-8 wk assignment (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDApril 16, 2014
I came in as a contract nurse and all I can say is that you will NOT be treated the same when you are a contract nurse. You are viewed as an outsider and don't plan on getting too friendly. Job culture is poor. Management is good though, although they overlook their staffs attitude and subtle remarks to contract nurses. You have to be tough, stay to yourself and do your job. Any mistake, and you are seen as incompetent. It's crazy. Other than that, job isn't bad. Typical hospital.
Pros
busy, challenging, nice patients
Cons
30 minute break, bad attitudes, poor culture
Stressfull work place
Staff Nurse, Rotating Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDFebruary 21, 2014
As a new nurse, I felt felt like the workload was heavy. We were also understaffed on most days, but I experienced great team work. I still refer to my co-workers as the best group of nurses that I have ever worked with. The hardest part of my job was that I did not spend enough time with my patients due to my individual patient load.The most enjoyable part of my job was watching a patient recover from surgery.
Pros
Very short distance from home.
Cons
Stress
A great place to make money and move on
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 21, 2013
As of right now, the OR is very unstable due to new management. Before they came it was a nice place to work but there was no advancement for Techs. Nurses were praised and given opportunities but techs were not treat equally. The money is good so if that is all you want it would be great for you, but if you are someone like me always looking to move forward and higher, stack your money and get a better job when it comes along.
Pros
good money
Cons
no room for advancement, currently unstable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suburban Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.