Success Academy Charter Schools

Success Academy Charter Schools Employer Reviews

Avoid phone interviews at all cost
Grants and Contracts Manager (Former Employee), BrooklynMarch 5, 2014
Cons: inappropriate phone interviews
Please be advised that phone interviews may be conducted with excessive noise in the background which crates a very tough atmosphere for you the applicant when delivering key points about your experience.
Dedicated colleagues, supportive work environment with room to grow
Marketing (Current Employee), NetworkJanuary 25, 2014
Cons: transitioning from start-up mode
As a mission-driven organization Success Academy attracts dedicated, intelligent employees and fosters a supportive team environment. The organization is growth-oriented, and supports the professional development of all staff. Employees are recognized for hard work and achievements - if you care about ed reform and are eager for new professional opportunities, – more... Success Academy is a great fit. – less
Great workplace. Staff feels like a family away from home.
Lead Teacher (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: career development, understanding leadership, healthy snacks, tons of resources, great benefits
Success Academy is a great place to work whether you're fresh out of college or have years of experience under your belt. There are many career paths and opportunities for growth within the organization. Leadership as supports your career development. Many workshops and professional development days are offered. You can even request to take place in – more... out of Network workshops that relate to your area of teaching. For example dance teachers can request Alvin Ailey workshops. The scholars are creative, and passionate. Most desire to learn which makes teaching there fun. – less
The interview told me all I needed to know.
Interviewee (Former Employee), South Bronx, NYDecember 28, 2013
Pros: helping kids maybe?
Cons: disorganized and rude administration, no work-life balance, horrible interview, low salary
I interviewed at this place several months ago for an administrative position and ten minutes after the interview I emailed to tell them I no longer wished to be considered for the position. It was that awful. When I arrived, no one seemed to have a clue why I was there and the three people who needed to interview me had other meetings and event scheduled – more... at the same time, so my interview took place in bursts of about 2 minutes with each person rotating between obligations. No one had read my resume, which clearly indicated I was currently employed full-time and had graduated college two years ago. All of them asked me when I was going to graduate and if I'd ever worked full-time. I was asked my astrological sign during the interview process, and the woman said she was glad I wasn't a pisces because her two children were pisces and they were morons. Uh...great? At one point I sat alone in a room for 45 minutes because my interviewers were all busy. I should have just left because the disrespect they'd shown to that point had been enough to convince me I would hate working there. The work environment seemed horrendously scattered and stressful, and the people I spoke with were rude and frankly a bit loopy. When I mentioned that I mystery shop as an unpaid, purely voluntary side gig, my interviewer said, "If you work for us, you have to quit that. This job is 24/7 and we discourage any outside activities since you should be on call at all times for us. This is a career, not a silly job." This was a 180 from the job posting, which said it was a 9-5 that encouraged the separation of work and life and wanted people who held outside interests. The salary was appallingly low for a "24/7" job in the South Bronx. There were several other huge red flags. Like I said, I withdrew my application immediately after the 2.5 hour interview from hell. It didn't seem like I would have gotten the job anyway, and I'm really okay with that. – less
Great place to work!
Recruitment Intern (Former Employee), New YorkOctober 1, 2013
As a Recruitment Intern at Success Academy Charter Schools, I had the opportunity to play an integral part in the recruitment and development of incoming teachers and administrators. I felt challenged, supported, and valued as a team member. I worked alongside passionate and committed individuals. My responsibilities included reviewing candidates, research – more... projects, outreach efforts, and administrative tasks. I was able to work hands on with the recruitment and teacher development departments, which taught me about problem solving as well as how to successfully work with a team to achieve long-term goals. This work has instilled in me a belief that all children deserve an equal opportunity to a quality education. – less
Not good role models
Teacher (Former Employee), New yorkMay 10, 2013
Pros: high pay
Cons: fear of termination
If yelling and calling parents, snapping fingers and degrading students is your thing, HSA is for you.
Fulfilling Work Environment with tons of Learning Opportunities
Network Employee (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 4, 2013
Pros: fun work environment, colleagues are mission driven, tons of learning opportunities, great professional development
Cons: long work days
I started working at Success Academy about a year after graduating college. In my time at the organization, I have been entrusted with key projects and allowed to reach my full potential. I feel confident in making recommendations and have had exposure to varying levels of management across the organization.

Everyone here is mission driven which is – more... a huge plus. It isn't an easy job but the work environment is fun and there is fulfillment gained in knowing that your work is changing the lives of children across New York City.

This is a great place to work if you are a learner and want to consistently develop as a professional. – less
Schools Policies and Practices Come At the Expense of the Kids
Teacher (Former Employee), New York , New YorkMarch 12, 2013
Pros: clean environment
Cons: cold, not a diverse work environment, politics prioritized over principles
A work environment that is so rigid creates high turnover and frequent firing of teachers for no reason -- little room or respect for autonomy -- students suffer even more than teachers from this frigid revolving door of burntout well meaning adults. Special education students denied accommodations too.
Opportunities for Growth
Manager (Current Employee), SchoolsFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: free lunches if you work in the school! big budget!
Cons: little work/life balance
This company gives you so much experience in other areas, there is a lot of opportunities for growth and professional development. You don't get stuck in the red tape of decisions or promotions. There are also great benefits, such as healthcare at no cost to me, and great bonuses.
Fulfilling work environment with a great, growing team
Network employee (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: see efforts in action in real time. growth opportunities. every day is different.
Cons: long work day.
At SA, the team does wonderful, cause related work that really changes children's lives. You get to see your efforts in action in real time. It's a very fast paced work environment where the bar is set high. Working here you are required to be flexible and be the solution. Everyone pitches in and rolls up their sleeves. If you have a recommendation – more... that would improve the organization, you're encouraged to speak up regardless of your role or level.

Constructive criticism is on going and in real time. You're constantly being encouraged to better yourself and given the feedback to do so. The hours are long, but the benefit of knowing you really are making a difference makes it worth it. – less
Toxic Work Environment & Ambivalent Senior Leadership
Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 1, 2012
Pros: smart people, great benefits package, advancement opportunities
Cons: low morale, high turnover, culture of fear
Success Academy Charter Schools has exceptionally low morale and exceptionally high employee turnover due to the utter disregard and even disdain with which the senior management treat the majority of the employees.

Members of upper management have been known to throw work at employees, make culturally insensitive comments (a huge gaffe considering – more... the diverse populations we serve), and to suggest that employees must have deep-seated personal issues if they seek encouragement or feedback from their managers.

It is a truly toxic environment that burns out many exceptionally bright and talented people. This does, of course, create a lot of opportunity for advancement because people are constantly leaving the organization. For those that can stick it out, there is good pay for a non-profit organization and very generous benefits.

It is unfortunate because Success has an important mission and offers a valuable service to the communities that it serves. Hearing success stories from families whose children are reaching their full academic potential in our schools is a rewarding part of the job, but it is a bittersweet one when you know that our incredibly dedicated teachers live in a culture of fear where the threat of dismissal hangs over their heads constantly if test scores are not constantly and dramatically improving. – less

About Success Academy Charter Schools

Join the Success Academy Movement At Success Academy, we make history every single day. Our schools rank in the top 5% in New – Read more