Success Academy Charter Schools

Success Academy Charter Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Collaborative and Smart
Associate Director of Enrollment (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2016
Very collaborative environment with great people all working toward the same goal of providing a world class education to as many deserving children as possible.
Pros
low health insurance costs, normal working hours
Cons
lots of commuting to different locations around the city
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Harlem, NYJuly 19, 2016
Great place to start your professional career. Also a lot of room to grow within the charter school. You do not have to stay in one category, you can go from teaching to network.
Eggshells
Elementary Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2016
Working at SA was like walking on eggshells all of the time. While I fully support closing the achievement gap, it should not be at the cost of employee sanity. The management approach pits teachers against each other to get higher data results. If your results are not high enough, you're not asked back or are fired mid-year. I know of five teachers in my building alone that ended up on prescription anxiety medication. This is very common across all SA schools.
Pros
pays well
Cons
Unless you are friends with the principal, your job is on the line.
Stay Away If You Value Yourself!
School Operations Talent Recruiter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2016
If you value yourself please do not ever work here. It is a toxic environment where your work is completely undervalued. Management is horrendous and the lack of support is infinite. I was so excited when offered a position but wow what a mistake. In just 6 short months that place took years off my life. I have worked for many non profits, including Teach For America and The Henry Street Settlement but I have never experienced treatment like this and such a backwards philosophy. No wonder they lose such great talent on a daily basis.
Pros
I wish I could say the scholars but I don't think Success Academy actually cares about them.
Cons
Lack of support. Zero work/life balance. Terrible management. No vision of big picture.
Avoid at all costs
Associate Director of Marketing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2016
It's a toxic culture that is motivated more by city politics than by what is truly the best for students or the neighborhoods.
It was a fun time and I learned a lot
Tech Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2016
While Interning here at Success Acadamies, I learned a lot. Not only did I learn about hardware, troubleshooting, and other tech things, but I was provided many opportunities to build my leadership and work well with teams. I worked in the network office in Manhattan.
Great Mission, Great school enviroment, tough work/life balance
Associate Teacher (Current Employee) –  NY, NYMarch 29, 2016
Success Academy has a great mission to give scholars a high quality education no matter what their socio-economic status is, however the work/life balance was hard to manage. 12 hour days were the norm, and the work day did not include sufficient break time.
Pros
great enviroment, great support
Cons
work/life balance
Rigorous team environment
Kindergarten Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 28, 2016
Success is a rapidly growing network with the best interest in mind for both students and adults involved. Work / life balance is hard to achieve, as Success is a results-driven corporation, and teachers can always strive to do more.
Pros
relentless support, constant feedback, results achieved
Cons
no life balance, stressful environment, young staff
Great for 1st year teachers
Lead Teacher, 1st grade (Current Employee) –  NewJanuary 15, 2016
Great structure and support, especially if you are a first year teacher. The leadership teams are constantly providing feedback around areas of growth and strength. Wonderful place to work!
Productive and comfortable work place
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 3, 2015
SA was a great company to work for, everyone works as a team. Management is very helpful and coworkers are dedicated and enjoy working.
Miserable place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  HarlemAugust 1, 2015
The modus operandi of Success Academy is to hire college kids right out of school. Hardly any of the "teachers" have any real experience or have any idea what they are getting into. The majority wash out within a year or two -- or get fired.

The atmosphere can best be described as Kafka-esque. The hours are long, and the kids are held to quasi-abusive standard of discipline. My 5th graders, for instance, were only allowed to go to the bathroom twice a day at predetermined times and are accompanied into the bathroom by a teacher. The students must remain silent during lunch. Special Ed students are quietly purged. Teachers are constantly being fired or quitting midway through the year, so expect co-workers to be mysteriously disappear, never to be heard from again.

Most of the year, the children do nothing but practice taking standardized tests. Unsurprisingly, when at the end of the year the kids score well on standardized exams, Moskowitz points to this as evidence that the kids are being given fantastic educations. Unfortunately, the truth is that most of these kids can't do anything outside of a state test.
Pros
Cons
Bad hours, absurd discipline policies, awful culture
Horrible Place To Work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  West HarlemJuly 17, 2015
I would NEVER recommend anyone to work for this school! It has turned me off to all charters, which is a shame because many of them are great academies.

Don't even both applying. You might as well quit teaching
Pros
intellegent staff
Cons
Culture of fear as someone put it so perfectly
All Work and No Life, So Run Teacher, Run!!!!!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Harlem West Middle SchoolApril 8, 2015
A typical day at success was 7 to 6.
The building opens between 6:30-6:45
7:00 -7:20 was a whole school meeting
7:30-8:05 Homeroom (which the teacher covers)
8:05-55 Electives (which you as a teacher have to teach)
8:55-9:50 Snack time, library time, vocabulary time, (which you the teacher had to teach and cover)
9:55-10-45 was my only prep or break of the day and sometimes they would take that away for a meeting or training

10:45-11:35 taught a class
11:35-12:25 taught a class
12:25-12:55 Advisory time which you the teacher lead and teach as well
1:00 -2:00 Lunch time (which you the teacher cover as well)

2:05-2:55 taught another class
2:55-3:45 taught another class
3:45-4:35 taught another class

4:35-4:50 dismissal (which you the teacher lead)
4:50-5:00 you must stand outside until all students are dismissed then you go back up stairs
5:00-5:30 All teachers were required to report to detention and sit with and talk to students
5:40-6:00 All staff team meeting

At 6 :00 you were free to do what you wanted
At 6:30 our building permit was up so half the time they would kick you out the building

WARNING STAY ANYWAY FROM HARLEM WEST MIDDLE SCHOOL AND POSSIBLY EVEN SUCCESS Academy in general!

The Ceo made a recent statement in the New York Times about former employees stating,
"As for the teachers who said they did not like the environment, Ms. Moskowitz said: “Most of the people who leave are a little angry, like they don’t like their work and they don’t seem happy teaching, and we really can’t have people who don’t love it.”"

Translation
  more... meaning that those who left success were not cut out for teaching even though you had success teaching prior to teaching there.

Really!
Pros
Free snacks and good medical benefits
Cons
Lil to no prep time, no lunch time

Comment – April 16, 2015

I had the above schedule two times a week on Monday and Friday with one prep. Wednesday I had one prep as well. On Tuesday and Thursday I had the same schedule as above except I had two preps and four classes to teach. But these preps were taking away sometimes for meetings or to cover a class when people quit, went to a training, or they were absent. Mind you before Christmas we lost 8 staff members, then after we lost 7 staff members. This is the norm here because the first year in this school building we lost 13 staff members before Christmas, and the second year in this building we lost 12 staff members before Christmas.

Productive and extremely fun and friendly work environment
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 23, 2015
Success Academy Charter School has one of the best attitudes towards improving education. Everyone works their hardest to improve the Academy, and the culture they have created is full of energy and diverse. Have been there only one summer, but I felt like a part of the team.
Great professional development
Operations Department, Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2014
We worked over 55 Hours a week. My co-workers were great. Hardest part of the Job was dealing with the time and physical lifting. The greatest part is communicating with staff and children.
I learned more in managing projects in business and the science of a collaborative enterprise, frequently involving research or design, that is carefully planned to achieve a particular aim.
Avoid working here if you really care for kids
Middle School Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 18, 2014
Success Academy prides itself with test scores and such but the kids don't know as much as they say they do. You can clearly tell the main concern is high test scores and not foundational learning. At the end of the day principals just care for the test scores so network isn't up theirs. They also say they love feedback but truthfully this is one directional. The principal I worked with was very u professional, lacked the ability to spell or proofread anything she sent to the staff members and had the nerve to tell kids they needed to do it. She never practiced what she preached and many of the school's you will find this. If you know your subject we'll find another place to work.
Pros
salary and benefits are very cheap
Cons
idiot supervisors, no work life balance, barely any prep times, must teach electives
Education
Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 25, 2014
Associates are great to work with. Each day is different but does require a lot of paperwork.
Not the best place to work
Operational Role (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 15, 2014
Success achieves amazing results with educating inner city children. However, working there is miserable. There is incredibly high turnover for a reason.
Pros
healthcare is amazing, free beverages and snacks once a week
Fast pace house of learning
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2014
Excellent for college graduates. Have been here for 5 plus years want to go back to my first love the Medical Community.
Pros
Cons
not compensation for overtime
Avoid phone interviews at all cost
Grants and Contracts Manager (Former Employee) –  BrooklynMarch 5, 2014
Please be advised that phone interviews may be conducted with excessive noise in the background which crates a very tough atmosphere for you the applicant when delivering key points about your experience.
Cons
inappropriate phone interviews

2.3