Success Academy Charter Schools Employee Reviews

Fast-paced, Organization is Key
Community Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2017
Must be team-oriented and able to make quick decisions

long hours ... everyone is fearful and ready to place blame
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2017
If you need money great, but organization does not know how to achieve its mission without overworking their employees. Very political, people are afraid to speak-up about conditions. A lot of pressure from network office that trickles down to the school. Good benefits, kids are loving, parents are involved.
Pros
Benefits, days off, sometimes free food
Cons
long hours, political culture, stressful environment unless your type A
Overall negative experience
Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2017
Very hard work-life balance. Long hours and staff are under appreciated. Many people are in and out of the company and it does not have a good culture.
Good for a starting job, difficult to stay more than a few years.
Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2017
Success Academies pushed me in a lot of ways, and prioritized my professional development. However, I believe one of their main issues is that they fail to cultivate an environment where employees feel like they can be honest with their concerns and ask for help. They have extremely high standards, which in many ways drives excellence, but due to the high stress environment, employees are often afraid to confront their shortcomings head on out of fear of being reprimanded, judged, and fired.
Pros
Team culture
Cons
high pressure
Mission driven colleagues
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 16, 2017
I grew immensely and was given responsibility quickly. The organization has strong values and I learned to push myself beyond what I knew possible. All work is driven by outcomes for children.
Great mission; terrible work environment
Academics and Training (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2017
(Network position) Expectations are not clear; I cycled through over 5 managers and reset professional goals each time. Each time goals were set, each manager never followed-up, though I had requested to do so several times.

SA claims to be skilled at giving feedback, but it is inconsistent at the Network office. The same level of management expected for school based staff is not consistent at the network-level.

Many times, managers are stretched very thin and are unable to provide adequate support to their team. Additionally, people are in positions that they are not equipped for. At times, managers project their fear and anxiety onto their team members and ask for unrealistic outcomes from their team members. Managers are often out of the loop when understanding the work and projects their team is doing.
Pros
Good compensation and time-off policy, work perks, mission of organization
Cons
Unorganized, toxic environment, unclear and inconsistent expectations, poor communication
Good place to learn
STEM Teacher, Science Lead (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2017
Good place to work. I would work there again but I wasn't paid enough this time around. I learned a heck of a lot about the craft of teaching. I'm thankful for the experience.
Pros
Hard working atmosphere learning alot
Cons
Work life balance not a thing
Great idea, horrible day to day
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2017
The days are incredibly long, with little to no breaks throughout. You don't sit down at lunch, as you are expected to be supervising the scholars. Preps are short, and often sacrificed so that teachers can take on another class, because the turnover rate is so incredibly high. Teachers are often crying in the faculty room, bathroom, closet, wherever.... Leadership passes blame for any every issue. They often expect teachers, school psychs, and administrators to work way after hours and at home under the philosophy that 'The kids come first". This leads to teacher burnout and an all around horrible work environment. It's an awful place to work. The one highlight is the scholars, who are amazing. Many of the people are also great, but someone quits every other week so you're never sure who is working there at the end of each term. Overall, no one outside of Success takes Success seriously...but they put things into such extremes that working there is absolutely miserable.
Pros
high salary, easy to advance
Cons
no work life balance, no breaks, high pressure environment
Worst Job I've ever had
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 17, 2017
DON'T WORK HERE PLEASE RUN AWAY
These people really truly care about kids, but they don't care about you.
I was so overworked and asked for help. no one supported me
benefits
Cons
work life balance.
High pressure and high turnover
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 6, 2017
Great mission / fabulous company goals, but extremely stressful work environment. No room for growth in an EA role. Management micromanages and is very difficult.
Innovative and rigorous Charter School holding both teachers and students to high expectations.
Lead Teacher (K-3) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2017
I have been privileged to work for Success Academy Charter Schools for almost five years now. I am certified in both General and Special Education, and have taught grades ranging from kindergarten to third grade.
Pros
Team/Community building opportunities
Cons
Lacking worklife balance
Good experience/poor work life balance
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 15, 2017
Success Academy has high demands for their teachers and students. The hours are long and the work follows you home. It is good experience though, especially for young teachers looking for experience.
Pros
benefits, work atmosphere, great collegues
Cons
no lunch break, long hours, a lot of deadlines
Difficult and Rewarding
Associate of Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 6, 2017
Extremely difficult place to work but if you survive you will learn a tremendous amount.

When I was there management was often unwilling to provide essential information for doing my job and yet expected extreme levels of performance.
Pros
Snacks, Responsibility, Benefits
Cons
Difficult management, no work-life balance
Stay Away
Staff Accountant - Finance Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2017
The management can't make up their minds what they want to do so they change what they do every two weeks it seems. People are unhappy, turnover high.
Pros
Nice offices
Cons
Expected to work insane hours despite low pay and no motivation
Great for Kids, Horrible environment for Staff
Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 24, 2016
Working with the scholars is the only highlight of my day. I hate the fact that I was shuffled around from class to class with some of the worst behaviors in them. No, one cane to my rescue when I needed help and all i got was rude and belittling comments from higher ups. My co workers (some of them) were absolutely amazing to work with. The hardest part of the job was the culture of fear that is set in this place. They are reliant on studying data and if scholars don't do well then you're at fault. Some of the teachers are REALLY inexperienced and therefore don't know how to manage a class well. They give these people more help than the ones who know how to manage a class and just might need a little assistance. It also doesnt help that we are expected to take our prep periods to do testing because they messed up on the schedule. The most enjoyable part was working with the scholars. They are simply amazing. Oh and the benefits too!!!
Pros
Benefits, Students, Snacks, Staff Outings
Cons
Little to no preps, belittling emails, robotic culture
Good resume building company.
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Springfield Gardens, NYDecember 15, 2016
The work life balance here is horrible and the management generally has limited experience in the schools. The hardest part of the job is finding the will to wake up the next day and go to work for 10 more hours without a scheduled lunch break.
Poorly run and very political
Business Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 15, 2016
A lot of people want this job to be great because education is very important, however the management abuses that mission and runs through people until there is nothing left of them.
Pros
Great mission
Cons
No breaks, long hours, terrible leadership
Please, by all means, don't apply for any teaching-related positions here!
Associate Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 25, 2016
This company makes it clear that you don't have a contract, but it's "at will" employment. So, there's no job security. First off, when you apply, there are 4-5 rounds before you're given a job offer. Second, when I started training, we were supposed to have two and a half weeks to be trained before going into the classroom. Be prepared to receive feedback for how fast you can use their scripted curriculum on children and parents. They berate the kids and train them to be robots. You receive a lot of feedback that if you don't gain all the skills necessary during the training, you will be fired. So, I got fired after one week of training before working at the school because they said I didn't make any improvement and didn't seem confident, yet I went through 4 interviews before receiving a job offer, really? Plus, my laptop was taken back as well. They also like to hire new college grads, which makes this job even more suspicious. Most don't even have any teaching background along with staff that currently work there. Don't count on this job if you hope to be an educator. You will get fired at some point. By the way, the CEO is only money hungry with no education background whatsoever. Don't believe the lies that the employer tells you.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Bad management, company philosophy, politics, no job security
Collaborative and Smart
Associate Director of Enrollment (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2016
Very collaborative environment with great people all working toward the same goal of providing a world class education to as many deserving children as possible.
Pros
low health insurance costs, normal working hours
Cons
lots of commuting to different locations around the city
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Harlem, NYJuly 19, 2016
Great place to start your professional career. Also a lot of room to grow within the charter school. You do not have to stay in one category, you can go from teaching to network.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Success Academy Charter Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8