Suffolk Construction Employee Reviews

Great intentions to become a smart company.
PE-APM (Current Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 22, 2018
There is a lot of work and expect long hours every day. Many meetings and reports. You will work more than 60 hrs a week and include some Saturdays ( it is a construction company as any other one) you are allowed to report maximum 40 hrs every week regardless.
Promises about bonuses, but projects are always loosing money.
Respect on the PM side to certain point. (More than other construction companies)
No effort recognition.
Selfishness predomine among some teams.

Manny people invest more time on making good relationships than getting a good professional result.

Good benefits. 401k is partially vested.

You end specializing on doing just one thing, poor development. Unless you have friends to help you go where you would like.

Good company to get some experience and move forward.
Pros
Vacation benefit and days off.
Cons
Very long hours every day.
Very connected at Hip to All mayors
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  MulltiFebruary 3, 2018
Expect to work long hours and when things get tight they have big Layoffs
They had trouble finding sub contractors to work for them and made all of management attend a mandatory Dale Cargenie schooling
To learn the art of being nice ? to subcontractors
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No supprt for field operations you are on your own
Dead beat company
sub contractor (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 30, 2018
Company is unable to meet its obligations and is in constant litigation for failure to meet its obligations to sub contractors. Management are complete morons and ill suited to run any project
Fast Paced and very
Project Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MAJanuary 17, 2018
This is a very Fast Paced job so be prepared to work to work hard and fast.You Must be prepared to work with teams because this is a major focus at Suffolk especially with the new building layout.
Pros
Gym, Cafe, New expansion
Cons
Main Branch Location
Corporate structure
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 2, 2018
the corporate structure at Suffolk was very rigid and regimented. Superintendents were overloaded with paperwork and reports, we spent more time filling out reports than running the job
Fun place to be employed
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 20, 2017
enjoyed my time working at Suffolk Construction. Their community out reach - great. Enjoyed the options to relocate to several options around the country.

Work life balance - half or every other Friday off during the Summer. h
Pros
Cons
cannot think of any
Great working environment
Scheduler / Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLAugust 23, 2017
The working environment is very professional. The team bonding is very important and we all help each other. Upper management are always reaching out to everyone making sure employees are happy. The company provides any tools needed to perform work accordingly.
great
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 14, 2017
very good working experience and learned a lot from the corporate level about accounting. Like to work with co-workers and learned a lot from them as well
I love working for Suffolk
PROJECT ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 25, 2017
It is a great company, with work/life balance. Company has alot to offer its employees, which includes growth and training opportunities. The company has alot of benefits.
This is a great place to work.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 22, 2017
I learned a great deal from the General Counsel. He was by far the best boss I have had in my career. The workload was large, but the community of co-workers made it achievable.
n/a
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  CAFebruary 15, 2017
no review available for this company. long days, dress code is quiet ridiculous, no bonuses, some good people, managers are hard workers
Not well organized and poor sub selection
Commercial Superintendent (Former Employee) –  LosAngelesFebruary 10, 2017
Disconnect between sr management and field staff, its hard to keep a schedule when the sub field is low budget. Not made to feel welcome when transferred to new projects
Productive Friendly Environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 30, 2016
Employees are friendly and helpful. Everyone will help each other out regardless of which department they are in. Environment is productive making you want to get work done.
One of The Best Places to Work in Boston!!
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 26, 2016
I worked at Suffolk Construction for 8 years. I loved working there, and enjoyed the relationships I made with my co workers. If only I could go back, I would in a heart beat!
Pros
Employees relationships
Cons
No e
Suffolk Construction
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 17, 2016
Great company to work for. Great benefits and they treat you very well. Flexible hours, get to know so many people and my co workers are all super nice.
a nice place to work Bridges everybody got along everybody
Lead Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale FloridaNovember 11, 2016
get a lot of work done hot but enjoyable, if something was needed it was there ASAP but until I got there they were other things to be accomplished
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
very short breaks if any
Good work enviroment
Assistant Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 17, 2016
Good company! Good people to work with with some very exciting projects in the works. Good opportunity to learn the guidelines of construction and get involved with some very large scale projects.
Pros
work life balance, exciting projects
Cons
Little upper managment support
good place to work
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 16, 2016
a typical work week will consist of 60+ hours. The company is very corporate minded with heavy paperwork. Good computer skills are nessacery with daily reports and schedule updates mandatory. Safety is of upmost importance. This company has the safest work sites I have ever worked on, with injuries being very minimal. This company offers a large range of training opportunities.
Suffolk cares about their employees more than any other company I hve worked for
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 6, 2015
John Fish, Owner of this privately held company, truly cares about his people. We increase the size of our company by 25 - 30% annually so you would excuse the CEO if he doesn't know everybody by name - but every time I meet him he calls me by my first name.

Every time Suffolk is changes some benefit, work schedule, holiday schedule it is for the better.
Examples are: we have half day Fridays for summer - they just became full day Fridays - and if you want to take it on any other day of the week instead - that's good too. Benefits just changed - for the better! We just got an email this week telling us that we will be getting another day off for Christmas on top of what we already get. A couple months ago we got another email saying that Suffolk is changing the vacation policy - BY GIVING AN EXTRA WEEK!

A typical work day is 7:00 - 4:30 ish although nobody is watching
I have learned a lot - the training is great
Management gets it and they are supportive and experienced at what they are managing
Co-workers are like-minded go-getters who DO NOT care what color your skin is (unlike the other person's experience I have previously read here - it has not been my experience)
Hardest part of the job is keeping up with tight schedules
Most enjoyable part of the job is constructing amazing buildings with a fun group of real, non corporate type people - it feels like family here.
Pros
Free Lunches, free gas card, car allowance
Cons
You have to pay attention and work really hard
Nice place to work but very low pay
Receptionist/Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 29, 2015
Working with different departments and people was always a pleasure. It's a welcoming environment that promotes a work-life balance