Suffolk Construction Employee Reviews

n/a
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  CAFebruary 15, 2017
no review available for this company. long days, dress code is quiet ridiculous, no bonuses, some good people, managers are hard workers
Not well organized and poor sub selection
Commercial Superintendent (Former Employee) –  LosAngelesFebruary 10, 2017
Disconnect between sr management and field staff, its hard to keep a schedule when the sub field is low budget. Not made to feel welcome when transferred to new projects
Productive Friendly Environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 30, 2016
Employees are friendly and helpful. Everyone will help each other out regardless of which department they are in. Environment is productive making you want to get work done.
One of The Best Places to Work in Boston!!
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 26, 2016
I worked at Suffolk Construction for 8 years. I loved working there, and enjoyed the relationships I made with my co workers. If only I could go back, I would in a heart beat!
Pros
Employees relationships
Cons
No e
Suffolk Construction
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 17, 2016
Great company to work for. Great benefits and they treat you very well. Flexible hours, get to know so many people and my co workers are all super nice.
a nice place to work Bridges everybody got along everybody
Lead Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale FloridaNovember 11, 2016
get a lot of work done hot but enjoyable, if something was needed it was there ASAP but until I got there they were other things to be accomplished
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
very short breaks if any
Good work enviroment
Assistant Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 17, 2016
Good company! Good people to work with with some very exciting projects in the works. Good opportunity to learn the guidelines of construction and get involved with some very large scale projects.
Pros
work life balance, exciting projects
Cons
Little upper managment support
good place to work
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 16, 2016
a typical work week will consist of 60+ hours. The company is very corporate minded with heavy paperwork. Good computer skills are nessacery with daily reports and schedule updates mandatory. Safety is of upmost importance. This company has the safest work sites I have ever worked on, with injuries being very minimal. This company offers a large range of training opportunities.
Suffolk cares about their employees more than any other company I hve worked for
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 6, 2015
John Fish, Owner of this privately held company, truly cares about his people. We increase the size of our company by 25 - 30% annually so you would excuse the CEO if he doesn't know everybody by name - but every time I meet him he calls me by my first name.

Every time Suffolk is changes some benefit, work schedule, holiday schedule it is for the better.
Examples are: we have half day Fridays for summer - they just became full day Fridays - and if you want to take it on any other day of the week instead - that's good too. Benefits just changed - for the better! We just got an email this week telling us that we will be getting another day off for Christmas on top of what we already get. A couple months ago we got another email saying that Suffolk is changing the vacation policy - BY GIVING AN EXTRA WEEK!

A typical work day is 7:00 - 4:30 ish although nobody is watching
I have learned a lot - the training is great
Management gets it and they are supportive and experienced at what they are managing
Co-workers are like-minded go-getters who DO NOT care what color your skin is (unlike the other person's experience I have previously read here - it has not been my experience)
Hardest part of the job is keeping up with tight schedules
Most enjoyable part of the job is constructing amazing buildings with a fun group of real, non corporate type people - it feels like family here.
Pros
Free Lunches, free gas card, car allowance
Cons
You have to pay attention and work really hard
Nice place to work but very low pay
Receptionist/Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 29, 2015
Working with different departments and people was always a pleasure. It's a welcoming environment that promotes a work-life balance
hard work
Assistant Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 30, 2015
Large, national Construction Company specializing in all aspects of commercial construction projects.
Assistant Superintendent
Supervised construction crews on multi-residential building with 400 units and an overall budget of $ 53 Million.
Responsible for scheduling and managing all MEP trades throughout project. Took over finishes for the last two phases of the project. Also completed punch list on schedule for entire project.
Completed a three week look ahead on excel and updated it daily to record any delays to the baseline schedule. Completed a man count and daily report of subcontractors I was in charge of and turned it into the head Superintendent daily.
Worked with the building inspector to complete daily inspection and log all sign-off activities.
Worked directly with Project Manager to identify and problem-solve issues to avoid project and scheduling delays.
I met some very nice people
Executive Assistant to the General Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 2, 2014
Unfortunately, I was only there for 8 months as they let go our entire group. The economy had went bad during my employment at Suffolk which generated a lay off. I did enjoy my 8 months there. I met a lot of very nice people and was fortunate enough to have a nice boss as well.
Pros
Easy commute
Cons
Too much paperwork
Great company
Office Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 8, 2014
I was only an intern, but my time was greatly enjoyable. There was a routine that I had to stick by every day which included sorting files and delivering mail. Managers were kind and respectful. Co-workers were very cooperative. Hardest part was leaving the job, most enjoyable part was working there.
This is by far the best company I've worked for
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 21, 2014
Suffolk construction is the ideal company to work for, The owner cares a lot about the employees
When the housing market was blooming this company was one of the best!

The only bad thing to say is that i had to be hospitalized due to a complicated pregnancy and they laid me off after my child was born.(not sure if it was legal or not)
Pros
training was offered, many tools available, coworkers were nice, compensation was super
Cons
I got laid off because I had to be bed written due to a risky pregnany
Accounts Payable Lead Position
Accounts Payable Lead (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 8, 2014
My typical day at work consists of me being the Accounts Payable Lead which takes care of all invoices being paid and which has discrepancies. I was the only Accounts Payable person there working, so all invoices and discrepancies were handled by me. The project managers that I worked with were all great in helping me when I first started there and we all were very productive in getting the work done and on a timely manner and within deadlines. I learned to be a Team Player within the Department and with other departments within the company. The management was also great with training me for the position ahead when I was hired permanently from day one. My co-workers were also great to work with and also enjoyable to communicate with. The most enjoyable part of the job was me being the Accounts Payable Lead and was under the Accounts Payable Manager and the Controller.
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 15, 2014
This company was a ok company I would go back to them if I could, I like that the company is close to my house.
I learned so much from this experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MaFebruary 6, 2014
One of the best places to work in Boston. The training and job experience was very educational and valuable to my future endeavors.
Could be a great place to work, depending on your ethnic background
Structural Superintendent (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 2, 2014
I honestly thought Suffolk was finally the right place for me. Project teams were well put together, offered ample training, had a good open door policy and most all paid well and offered good benefits. There issue was getting around the "good ole boy" system. While i was there, there wasn't one minority Lead/Senior Superintendent, not one! If there is ever an issue with a sub-contractors, engineers or architects whether you're to blame or not, they will not stand beside you. I personally witnessed all three (subs, archs and engineers) get out of line with supers and pm's only to see them moved or released. They are all about theirselves; Drink the cool-aid or you're not going to be very happy.
Pros
If you're white you'll fit just rite (right)
Cons
Back their sub-contractors before their own employees
Productive experiance
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MA.November 14, 2013
Fun place to work even with the long demanding hours. Great company culture, always busy.
Pros
Great pay and enefits
Cons
Very long hours.
Professional, fun workplace
Business Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 6, 2013
Wonderful people
Hard workers
Lot of groups, teams to get involved in
Room for advancement
Push and support from supervisor

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suffolk Construction. Our community is ready to answer.

Suffolk Construction Reviews by Location