Suffolk County Community College Employee Reviews in United States

Loved My Job
College Aide (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYMay 25, 2016
Working at Suffolk County Community College for the maintenance department was an amazing experience and I'm glad I was able to be part of it for the last five years. A typical work day would consist of various clerical duties such as answering multi-line phone systems, scanning and faxing purchase orders, filing, photocopying, etc. I learned how to scan paperwork using a software called document manager. I also learned how to use a software database, called schooldude, where I would put up work orders for co-workers. The Management and my co-workers were incredible people to work for and with. They were extremely patient and understanding of every individuals needs. They really took the time to make sure I understood the various duties the job entailed. The hardest part of working for the maintenance department at Suffolk County Community College was meeting various needs in a fast pace manner. The most enjoyable part was working with my co-workers and how helpful everyone was.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
2 week layoff
Great place
IT Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYMay 16, 2016
Love the work conditions, my superiors are friendly and very knowledgeable. The pay is great but the hours of work offered are too limited
The Campus is really small but convenient and helps build a sense of community when everything is so intimate and accessible
Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Riverhead, NYApril 28, 2016
I enjoyed working with every member of my team and we collaborated well and complimented each other on other things we don't excel in. We brought a lot of events to life and it made the college experience so much better.
Productive and very encouraging.
Peer Mentor Program (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYFebruary 22, 2016
The Peer Mentor Program is fun and varied; the students we assist are often in a very good mood and the coworkers even more so. Management does their best to work with the student's individual schedule and the tasks we must complete allow us to be versatile.
fun place to work
Office Aide (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYNovember 5, 2015
They staff and the professors were great. they made the workplace very inviting and was great. they worked around your class schedule. i will advise anyone to do the work study program
very good work environment
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  SeldenSeptember 11, 2015
As an Adjunct Instructor, I am included in all department meetings and asked for my opinion,

I am encouraged to assist with community outreach.

The Chairperson is a very good leader who listens to ideas and works with everyone to improve the program.

The culture is a happy culture. We work to motivate the students and are very committed to create a positive learning experience.
Pros
continuous improvement and happy environment
Cons
financial
Political
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Selden, NYAugust 7, 2015
SCCC is considered to be the 2nd largest 'dumping ground' for politicians family members. SCCC is on a moratorium and has not and will not open employment lines with benefits.
Pros
Make your own hours
Cons
NO Benefits
Student Assistant/EAP Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYJune 2, 2015
Pros

Managing is good, coworkers get along and help each other to finish their work all for the company benefit.
2 weeks vacation yearly but no insurance benefit.

Cons

pay is not enough, the pay raise is barely nothing.
work most weekends and holidays like all the other retail stories.

Let your hard working employees see their bright futures if you want to keep them stay. Sally Ann Slacke is a good corporate to work with, they focus on their customers, always satisfied their customers, that's what I saw as a part time worker in the school corporate at SCCC.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYMay 9, 2015
Competitive salary
Very helpful faculty, staff, and administration
Well organized
Great students who are hard working
Enjoyable place to work.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYMay 3, 2015
Suffolk County Community College provides a wonderful work environment that focuses on professional development in order to foster student achievement. Many workshops are offered to staff regarding various subjects. The college constantly communicates with its employees to ensure employees are aware of changes or improvements on the college campuses.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Relaxed but focused work environment with like-minded coworkers
College Aide (Current Employee) –  Selden, NYMarch 22, 2015
Really enjoyed the work atmosphere and working with a small department. I liked interacting with students that came into the office asking for help or advice, and networking with professors and other professionals that worked with me. I learned a lot about writing professional emails, letterheads, and being a self motivator to get work done and be innovative to increase the efficiency of the office. I worked well with all of my coworkers and everyone's opinion is heard and taken into consideration during meetings and discussions about the department.
The creme de la creme of Community Colleges
Adjunct (Current Employee) –  Selden, NYMarch 13, 2015
In brief: a wonderful place to work. Pays its Adjuncts well and treats you like a human being.

They have an automated system for giving out assignments that routs out nepotism or favoritism; and is totally based on seniority. Also, the management will stand by you with any student disagreements and not cave in to generally naughty student demands. (I.e., it's all the professors' fault, I didn't know those requirements, etc.)
Pros
check the office for pizza and left-over sandwiches!
Cons
your still an adjunct :-(
School
Suffolk County community College (Former Employee) –  Brentwood/SeldenJanuary 23, 2015
I have been here for schooling in fire science.
It was a great experience
Productive and educational
College Aide (Former Employee) –  Selden, NYJanuary 23, 2015
Working at Suffolk Community College is a friendly and educational place to work.
Pros
friendly and educational atmosphere
Reception
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYDecember 30, 2014
I input data entry and answered phones. I took ticket orders for college theatre shows and ushered people to their seats. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to see shows for free. I learned how to deal with multiple switchboard lines and became proficient at it. I did not have coworkers.
Pros
getting to see shows for free.
Student-aid
Student Aid (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYNovember 30, 2014
I do prefer to obtain a job in an office-like setting like I had with this one but I am very open to jobs of other settings as well. I am the kind of person who can find valuable qualities in any job I take on. In this job, I was responsible for signing in and out students, organizing files and folders, and anything else my fellow co-workers and supervisors needed my assistance with. I enjoyed working with the individuals I worked with because even though it was entirely professional, it was also a mutual and friendly atmosphere. I got to meet a diverse amount of people because it was a foreign language office and I also learned a bit more of how my school worked.
The hardest part of the job for me was leaving. When I left, I knew it was time for me to focus more on my education and future and that my short time there was over but it was still hard for me to leave because I knew it was a valuable experience for me.
Horrible management
PA (Former Employee) –  Selden, NYOctober 25, 2014
Very politically driven. If you have an unqualified, poor manager with an ego problem it can be very difficult and unpleasant.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
horrible management
maintenance
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYJuly 31, 2014
Perform daily maintenance to the building. Clean entire building, classrooms and professors offices, make sure equipment is well-organized. Buff, wax, and strip school floors/offices. Move heavy objects (boxes/pallets). Fix broken doors, Install furniture, Lift heavy objects (signs), Order merchandise (computer experience) and Paint classrooms/building walls. Hi-low and bobcat experience, repaired school equipment.
Inspired by the students! Not inspired by discrimination
Instructor, Economics (Former Employee) –  Selden, NYJuly 24, 2014
Some of the students are exceptionally bright and all of them are there to learn. The staff is nice and accommodating. Sadly in hiring and promotion the practice of gender and race discrimination is very very obvious.
Member of Legal (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYJuly 10, 2014
One of the best colleges at suffolk county

Great accounting program.

Helping and experienced professors.

4.4