SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE

SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE Employer Reviews

Inspired by the students! Not inspired by discrimination
Instructor, Economics (Former Employee), Selden, NYJuly 24, 2014
Some of the students are exceptionally bright and all of them are there to learn. The staff is nice and accommodating. Sadly in hiring and promotion the practice of gender and race discrimination is very very obvious.
Member of Legal (Former Employee), Brentwood, NYJuly 10, 2014
One of the best colleges at suffolk county

Great accounting program.

Helping and experienced professors.
Good place to work; great students to teach. Faculty is supportive
Adjunct Professor of Journalism (Current Employee), Selden, N.Y.May 27, 2014
A strong, supportive place to work as a teacher with great students.
Has potential but contains many blocks
Head Swim Coach (Former Employee), BrentwoodApril 16, 2014
Pros: nice facilities
Cons: heavy on politics and not on positive results.
This school has potential to be a great work atmospher but there are individuals there who would rather not see it move in a healthy and more productive direction.
Productive and fun work place with a fun group of people
College Aid (Current Employee), Selden, NYMarch 26, 2014
*learned how to work with different kinds of people.
* expertise on banner system
*organize event such as open house
* office interior decoration
Interesting work
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee), Hauppauge, NYFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: interesting work
Cons: would have liked to teach more classes
As a part-time instructor, I had opportunities to adults trying to improve their technical knowledge by taking classes. Management was very supportive.
ok school
Introduction to Criminal Justice (Former Employee), Riverhead, NYJanuary 31, 2014
¬¬Collegiate Learning and Cognitive Development ¬American Juvenile Justice
Great office environment
College Aide in the Office of Academic Affairs (Former Employee), Brentwood, NYJanuary 21, 2014
Performed routine tasks. Enjoyable atmosphere working with students, faculty, and fellow co-workers.
Professional office with fun staff
Secretary (Former Employee), Selden, NYJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: wage
Cons: heavy paper work
A typical day at work requires setting advising and testing appointments, answering phone calls, answering questions about the school, assisting new students, making new student schedules, setting up placement test, filling, heavy computer use with access, banner and other systems. Supervisors and dean are always there when we need help. My co-workers – more... are friendly and so easy to work with because we help each other out with the work load. Everyone is treated the same way and the work environment is very positive. The most difficult part is dealing with parents who give us a hard time, but other than that I love everything about this job. I really enjoy helping students and guiding them towards the right direction. – less
Student Aide (Former Employee), Eastern Campus, Riverhead, NYOctober 17, 2013
Pros: good enviroments, coworkers
Cons: benefits for pt workers
Good place to work. Good team support, advisement, etc. Also good trainings provided.
ESL Professor
Adjunct ESL Professor and Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Riverhead, N.Y. and Southampton, N.Y.July 14, 2013
I really enjoy teaching English to adults at Suffolk County Community College. The students are, for the most part, eager to learn and they are very appreciative of my efforts to help them learn to read, write, speak, and understand English. I would love to do this job on a full time basis. Typically, I teach at Suffolk two nights a week and on Saturdays. – more... I introduce new vocabulary and grammar to the students. The students then work together in groups to practice this new information. I try to make the learning fun by having students pantomime vocabulary words and have the other students guess the correct English word. My students do a lot of group work to use the new grammar and vocabulary to write sentences and stories. I facilitate this process by going around to each group and helping with vocabulary and grammar. The students act out and/or read their completed stories for their groups when the stories are completed. My co-workers are very helpful and friendly. I have learned that lots of repetition and active participation is needed to help my students master the English Language. Having my students do group work and act out stories and/or do Reader's Theater is the most enjoyable part of my job, along with doing a lot of TPR (Total Physical Response) with my students.

Southampton Elementary School is an enjoyable school to substitute teach in. The teachers there are very friendly and helpful. They are very professional, excellent teachers. They leave excellent, detailed plans for me to work with in each class. Since I am a substitute teacher in all areas, each of my days is very different. The hardest part of the job is dealing with uncooperative students. I have learned to be consistent with these students and take away privileges when necessary, as well as bestow privileges on cooperative students who are following directions and working well. The most enjoyable part of substitute teaching at Southampton Elementary is when I have the opportunity to do creative work with my students, such as acting out stories or dramatizing historical events. I would love to teach at this school full time also. – less
Great place to learn.
Prep Cook/ Line Cook (Former Employee), Riverhead, NYJune 3, 2013
They have alot of great Chefs that work there that are very knowledgeable. You will learn alot of techniques and skills you can use in the field.
fun place to work but can be serious too
College Aide (Former Employee), Brentwood, NYMay 24, 2013
Pros: loved it!!!!
Cons: nothing
Administrative Duties and helping out my managers. I learned secretarial work, I became very proefficient in all the MS programs.
great, freindly work environment
Media Services College Aide (Current Employee), Brentwood, NYApril 10, 2013
Pros: off when school is off
Cons: 15 hours a week, max
working with audio setups and maintaining equipment is an ideal place for me
Work place
Math Instructor (Current Employee), Selden, NYMarch 22, 2013
I have learned how to work with varies personalities. The hardest part of the job is to come up with new and inventive ways to motivate students to learn the subject of mathematics. The most rewarding part of the job is when you get a student that had been having trouble learning math, understand the concept you were teaching and then gets the confidence – more... to try other probems. – less
It was interesting and I learned a lot from working there.
College Aide @ the Call Center (Former Employee), Riverhead, NYJanuary 6, 2013
Pros: i got to spend more time with my sons.
Cons: not enough hours
The only drawback was it wasnt enough hours and we had to take a furlow (6 weeks per year)
Great Place to work for college kids
Student Aide (Former Employee), Brentwood, NYJune 28, 2012
Pros: meet most of the students and always knew about upcoming events
Cons: would have liked to work more hours
The atmospher was always upbeat and filled with energy. The staff members were always helpfull and understanding. I leaned about Micosoft Excel here and did a lot of date input. The hardest part of the job was hanging the posters. The most enjoyalbe part for working with the students.
Professional and Friendly
Video Editor (Former Employee), Selden, NYMay 14, 2012
Working for SCCC was a great experience. I learned a lot of important skills including working for others and producing a product to please a client. A normal workday consisted of several hours assembling clips into a rough cut.
Work atmosphere was great
Registrar Office (Former Employee), Brentwood, NYApril 13, 2012
Helping the students with any issues was the highlight of the work day.