SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE

SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE Employer Reviews

Productive and educational
College Aide (Former Employee), Selden, NYJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: friendly and educational atmosphere
Working at Suffolk Community College is a friendly and educational place to work.
Reception
Receptionist (Former Employee), Brentwood, NYDecember 30, 2014
Pros: getting to see shows for free.
I input data entry and answered phones. I took ticket orders for college theatre shows and ushered people to their seats. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to see shows for free. I learned how to deal with multiple switchboard lines and became proficient at it. I did not have coworkers.
Student-aid
Student Aid (Former Employee), Brentwood, NYNovember 30, 2014
I do prefer to obtain a job in an office-like setting like I had with this one but I am very open to jobs of other settings as well. I am the kind of person who can find valuable qualities in any job I take on. In this job, I was responsible for signing in and out students, organizing files and folders, and anything else my fellow co-workers and supervisors needed my assistance with. I enjoyed working with the individuals I worked with because even though it was entirely professional, it was also a mutual and friendly atmosphere. I got to meet a diverse amount of people because it was a foreign language office and I also learned a bit more of how my school worked.
The hardest part of the job for me was leaving. When I left, I knew it was time for me to focus more on my education and future and that my short time there was over but it was still hard for me to leave because I knew it was a valuable experience for me.
Horrible management
PA (Former Employee), Selden, NYOctober 25, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: horrible management
Very politically driven. If you have an unqualified, poor manager with an ego problem it can be very difficult and unpleasant.
maintenance
Maintenance (Former Employee), Brentwood, NYJuly 31, 2014
Perform daily maintenance to the building. Clean entire building, classrooms and professors offices, make sure equipment is well-organized. Buff, wax, and strip school floors/offices. Move heavy objects (boxes/pallets). Fix broken doors, Install furniture, Lift heavy objects (signs), Order merchandise (computer experience) and Paint classrooms/building walls. Hi-low and bobcat experience, repaired school equipment.
Inspired by the students! Not inspired by discrimination
Instructor, Economics (Former Employee), Selden, NYJuly 24, 2014
Some of the students are exceptionally bright and all of them are there to learn. The staff is nice and accommodating. Sadly in hiring and promotion the practice of gender and race discrimination is very very obvious.
Member of Legal (Former Employee), Brentwood, NYJuly 10, 2014
One of the best colleges at suffolk county

Great accounting program.

Helping and experienced professors.
Good place to work; great students to teach. Faculty is supportive
Adjunct Professor of Journalism (Current Employee), Selden, N.Y.May 27, 2014
A strong, supportive place to work as a teacher with great students.
Has potential but contains many blocks
Head Swim Coach (Former Employee), BrentwoodApril 16, 2014
Pros: nice facilities
Cons: heavy on politics and not on positive results.
This school has potential to be a great work atmospher but there are individuals there who would rather not see it move in a healthy and more productive direction.
Productive and fun work place with a fun group of people
College Aid (Current Employee), Selden, NYMarch 26, 2014
*learned how to work with different kinds of people.
* expertise on banner system
*organize event such as open house
* office interior decoration
Interesting work
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee), Hauppauge, NYFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: interesting work
Cons: would have liked to teach more classes
As a part-time instructor, I had opportunities to adults trying to improve their technical knowledge by taking classes. Management was very supportive.
ok school
Introduction to Criminal Justice (Former Employee), Riverhead, NYJanuary 31, 2014
¬¬Collegiate Learning and Cognitive Development ¬American Juvenile Justice
Great office environment
College Aide in the Office of Academic Affairs (Former Employee), Brentwood, NYJanuary 21, 2014
Performed routine tasks. Enjoyable atmosphere working with students, faculty, and fellow co-workers.
Professional office with fun staff
Secretary (Former Employee), Selden, NYJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: wage
Cons: heavy paper work
A typical day at work requires setting advising and testing appointments, answering phone calls, answering questions about the school, assisting new students, making new student schedules, setting up placement test, filling, heavy computer use with access, banner and other systems. Supervisors and dean are always there when we need help. My co-workers are friendly and so easy to work with because we help each other out with the work load. Everyone is treated the same way and the work environment is very positive. The most difficult part is dealing with parents who give us a hard time, but other than that I love everything about this job. I really enjoy helping students and guiding them towards the right direction.
Student Aide (Former Employee), Eastern Campus, Riverhead, NYOctober 17, 2013
Pros: good enviroments, coworkers
Cons: benefits for pt workers
Good place to work. Good team support, advisement, etc. Also good trainings provided.
ESL Professor
Adjunct ESL Professor and Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Riverhead, N.Y. and Southampton, N.Y.July 14, 2013
I really enjoy teaching English to adults at Suffolk County Community College. The students are, for the most part, eager to learn and they are very appreciative of my efforts to help them learn to read, write, speak, and understand English. I would love to do this job on a full time basis. Typically, I teach at Suffolk two nights a week and on Saturdays. I introduce new vocabulary and grammar to the students. The students then work together in groups to practice this new information. I try to make the learning fun by having students pantomime vocabulary words and have the other students guess the correct English word. My students do a lot of group work to use the new grammar and vocabulary to write sentences and stories. I facilitate this process by going around to each group and helping with vocabulary and grammar. The students act out and/or read their completed stories for their groups when the stories are completed. My co-workers are very helpful and friendly. I have learned that lots of repetition and active participation is needed to help my students master the English Language. Having my students do group work and act out stories and/or do Reader's Theater is the most enjoyable part of my job, along with doing a lot of TPR (Total Physical Response) with my students.

Southampton Elementary School is an enjoyable school to substitute teach in. The teachers there are very friendly and helpful. They are very professional, excellent teachers. They leave excellent, detailed plans for me to work with in each class. Since I am a substitute teacher in all areas, each of my days – more... is very different. The hardest part of the job is dealing with uncooperative students. I have learned to be consistent with these students and take away privileges when necessary, as well as bestow privileges on cooperative students who are following directions and working well. The most enjoyable part of substitute teaching at Southampton Elementary is when I have the opportunity to do creative work with my students, such as acting out stories or dramatizing historical events. I would love to teach at this school full time also. – less
Great place to learn.
Prep Cook/ Line Cook (Former Employee), Riverhead, NYJune 3, 2013
They have alot of great Chefs that work there that are very knowledgeable. You will learn alot of techniques and skills you can use in the field.
fun place to work but can be serious too
College Aide (Former Employee), Brentwood, NYMay 24, 2013
Pros: loved it!!!!
Cons: nothing
Administrative Duties and helping out my managers. I learned secretarial work, I became very proefficient in all the MS programs.
great, freindly work environment
Media Services College Aide (Current Employee), Brentwood, NYApril 10, 2013
Pros: off when school is off
Cons: 15 hours a week, max
working with audio setups and maintaining equipment is an ideal place for me
Work place
Math Instructor (Current Employee), Selden, NYMarch 22, 2013
I have learned how to work with varies personalities. The hardest part of the job is to come up with new and inventive ways to motivate students to learn the subject of mathematics. The most rewarding part of the job is when you get a student that had been having trouble learning math, understand the concept you were teaching and then gets the confidence to try other probems.