Suffolk County Community College Employee Reviews

calm working environment
Test Proctor (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYJanuary 28, 2017
Calm and easy working environment, co-workers are all friendly and willing to help anyone out. Students are usually nice and friendly enough, as long as you do not treat them as children.
Wonderful coworkers
Education Opportunity Program - Instructor (Current Employee) –  Riverhead, NYJanuary 3, 2017
Well run institution with people who care about the students.

Students are, for the most part, active and willing to learn.

Coworkers are pleasant and willing to help.
Very pleasant atmosphere
Senior Clerk Typist (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYOctober 30, 2016
Very helpful faculty and staff it is a very pleasant place to work

The students get plenty of attention from help with their schedules to help with ther studies
Pros
I am a vey friendly and I am a conscientious worker
Cons
No contract
A great education should be available to all people. College campus life does not need to be prohibitively expensive or exclusive.
Adjunct Instructor of English (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYAugust 18, 2016
Suffolk Community College is a wonderful place to work. Helping students of all ages who need a start or a second chance to fulfill the dream of higher education is extremely rewarding. I can change the course of a student's life by offering positive reinforcement , encouragement, and one on one instruction. I love teaching at Suffolk because I call help students. I would respond favorably to all of the conditions of my job. My co-workers and department chairs are amiable and supportive. Everyone seems very happy to be there. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to do what I love every work day; teach English. Teaching college English taught me how to teach students to write, a skill that will help them for the rest of their academic career. I have dedicated my life to teaching and my experience at Suffolk has been my reward.
Professional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Campus Call Center, Brentwood CampusJuly 27, 2016
Excellent experience dealing with all different personalities of students and co-workers. Must be able to multi-task and think on your feet to best assist a student's needs. Must also be able to deal with angry and frustrated students and parents who feel they are not getting the help or assistance they desire. This requires patience and perseverance to help come to a resolution that best serves the student and/or parent. The ability to work cohesively with other Student Service departments is key to assist the students and I have enjoyed being able to work with the other departments.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Disgruntled students/parents
Great work place
Adjunct Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYJune 6, 2016
The staff and faculty are wonderful to work with and I thoroughly enjoy my day to day experience at the college. Working with the students is wonderful, and being able to assist them with their on campus activities is amazing!
Loved My Job
College Aide (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYMay 25, 2016
Working at Suffolk County Community College for the maintenance department was an amazing experience and I'm glad I was able to be part of it for the last five years. A typical work day would consist of various clerical duties such as answering multi-line phone systems, scanning and faxing purchase orders, filing, photocopying, etc. I learned how to scan paperwork using a software called document manager. I also learned how to use a software database, called schooldude, where I would put up work orders for co-workers. The Management and my co-workers were incredible people to work for and with. They were extremely patient and understanding of every individuals needs. They really took the time to make sure I understood the various duties the job entailed. The hardest part of working for the maintenance department at Suffolk County Community College was meeting various needs in a fast pace manner. The most enjoyable part was working with my co-workers and how helpful everyone was.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
2 week layoff
Great place
IT Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYMay 16, 2016
Love the work conditions, my superiors are friendly and very knowledgeable. The pay is great but the hours of work offered are too limited
The Campus is really small but convenient and helps build a sense of community when everything is so intimate and accessible
Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Riverhead, NYApril 28, 2016
I enjoyed working with every member of my team and we collaborated well and complimented each other on other things we don't excel in. We brought a lot of events to life and it made the college experience so much better.
Productive and very encouraging.
Peer Mentor Program (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYFebruary 22, 2016
The Peer Mentor Program is fun and varied; the students we assist are often in a very good mood and the coworkers even more so. Management does their best to work with the student's individual schedule and the tasks we must complete allow us to be versatile.
fun place to work
Office Aide (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYNovember 5, 2015
They staff and the professors were great. they made the workplace very inviting and was great. they worked around your class schedule. i will advise anyone to do the work study program
very good work environment
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  SeldenSeptember 11, 2015
As an Adjunct Instructor, I am included in all department meetings and asked for my opinion,

I am encouraged to assist with community outreach.

The Chairperson is a very good leader who listens to ideas and works with everyone to improve the program.

The culture is a happy culture. We work to motivate the students and are very committed to create a positive learning experience.
Pros
continuous improvement and happy environment
Cons
financial
Political
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Selden, NYAugust 7, 2015
SCCC is considered to be the 2nd largest 'dumping ground' for politicians family members. SCCC is on a moratorium and has not and will not open employment lines with benefits.
Pros
Make your own hours
Cons
NO Benefits
Student Assistant/EAP Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYJune 2, 2015
Pros

Managing is good, coworkers get along and help each other to finish their work all for the company benefit.
2 weeks vacation yearly but no insurance benefit.

Cons

pay is not enough, the pay raise is barely nothing.
work most weekends and holidays like all the other retail stories.

Let your hard working employees see their bright futures if you want to keep them stay. Sally Ann Slacke is a good corporate to work with, they focus on their customers, always satisfied their customers, that's what I saw as a part time worker in the school corporate at SCCC.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYMay 9, 2015
Competitive salary
Very helpful faculty, staff, and administration
Well organized
Great students who are hard working
Enjoyable place to work.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYMay 3, 2015
Suffolk County Community College provides a wonderful work environment that focuses on professional development in order to foster student achievement. Many workshops are offered to staff regarding various subjects. The college constantly communicates with its employees to ensure employees are aware of changes or improvements on the college campuses.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Relaxed but focused work environment with like-minded coworkers
College Aide (Current Employee) –  Selden, NYMarch 22, 2015
Really enjoyed the work atmosphere and working with a small department. I liked interacting with students that came into the office asking for help or advice, and networking with professors and other professionals that worked with me. I learned a lot about writing professional emails, letterheads, and being a self motivator to get work done and be innovative to increase the efficiency of the office. I worked well with all of my coworkers and everyone's opinion is heard and taken into consideration during meetings and discussions about the department.
The creme de la creme of Community Colleges
Adjunct (Current Employee) –  Selden, NYMarch 13, 2015
In brief: a wonderful place to work. Pays its Adjuncts well and treats you like a human being.

They have an automated system for giving out assignments that routs out nepotism or favoritism; and is totally based on seniority. Also, the management will stand by you with any student disagreements and not cave in to generally naughty student demands. (I.e., it's all the professors' fault, I didn't know those requirements, etc.)
Pros
Check the office for Pizza and left-over sandwiches!
Cons
Your still an Adjunct :-(
School
Suffolk County community College (Former Employee) –  Brentwood/SeldenJanuary 23, 2015
I have been here for schooling in fire science.
It was a great experience
Productive and educational
College Aide (Former Employee) –  Selden, NYJanuary 23, 2015
Working at Suffolk Community College is a friendly and educational place to work.
Pros
friendly and educational atmosphere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suffolk County Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4