Suffolk County Community College Employee Reviews

ESL Professor
Adjunct ESL Professor and Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Riverhead, N.Y. and Southampton, N.Y.July 14, 2013
I really enjoy teaching English to adults at Suffolk County Community College. The students are, for the most part, eager to learn and they are very appreciative of my efforts to help them learn to read, write, speak, and understand English. I would love to do this job on a full time basis. Typically, I teach at Suffolk two nights a week and on Saturdays. I introduce new vocabulary and grammar to the students. The students then work together in groups to practice this new information. I try to make the learning fun by having students pantomime vocabulary words and have the other students guess the correct English word. My students do a lot of group work to use the new grammar and vocabulary to write sentences and stories. I facilitate this process by going around to each group and helping with vocabulary and grammar. The students act out and/or read their completed stories for their groups when the stories are completed. My co-workers are very helpful and friendly. I have learned that lots of repetition and active participation is needed to help my students master the English Language. Having my students do group work and act out stories and/or do Reader's Theater is the most enjoyable part of my job, along with doing a lot of TPR (Total Physical Response) with my students.

Southampton Elementary School is an enjoyable school to substitute teach in. The teachers there are very friendly and helpful. They are very professional, excellent teachers. They leave excellent, detailed plans for me to work with in each class. Since I am a substitute teacher in all areas, each of my days
  more... is very different. The hardest part of the job is dealing with uncooperative students. I have learned to be consistent with these students and take away privileges when necessary, as well as bestow privileges on cooperative students who are following directions and working well. The most enjoyable part of substitute teaching at Southampton Elementary is when I have the opportunity to do creative work with my students, such as acting out stories or dramatizing historical events. I would love to teach at this school full time also.  less
Student-aid
Student Aid (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYNovember 30, 2014
I do prefer to obtain a job in an office-like setting like I had with this one but I am very open to jobs of other settings as well. I am the kind of person who can find valuable qualities in any job I take on. In this job, I was responsible for signing in and out students, organizing files and folders, and anything else my fellow co-workers and supervisors needed my assistance with. I enjoyed working with the individuals I worked with because even though it was entirely professional, it was also a mutual and friendly atmosphere. I got to meet a diverse amount of people because it was a foreign language office and I also learned a bit more of how my school worked.
The hardest part of the job for me was leaving. When I left, I knew it was time for me to focus more on my education and future and that my short time there was over but it was still hard for me to leave because I knew it was a valuable experience for me.
Professional office with fun staff
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Selden, NYJanuary 11, 2014
A typical day at work requires setting advising and testing appointments, answering phone calls, answering questions about the school, assisting new students, making new student schedules, setting up placement test, filling, heavy computer use with access, banner and other systems. Supervisors and dean are always there when we need help. My co-workers are friendly and so easy to work with because we help each other out with the work load. Everyone is treated the same way and the work environment is very positive. The most difficult part is dealing with parents who give us a hard time, but other than that I love everything about this job. I really enjoy helping students and guiding them towards the right direction.
Pros
wage
Cons
heavy paper work
Student Assistant/EAP Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYJune 2, 2015
Pros

Managing is good, coworkers get along and help each other to finish their work all for the company benefit.
2 weeks vacation yearly but no insurance benefit.

Cons

pay is not enough, the pay raise is barely nothing.
work most weekends and holidays like all the other retail stories.

Let your hard working employees see their bright futures if you want to keep them stay. Sally Ann Slacke is a good corporate to work with, they focus on their customers, always satisfied their customers, that's what I saw as a part time worker in the school corporate at SCCC.
The creme de la creme of Community Colleges
Adjunct (Current Employee) –  Selden, NYMarch 13, 2015
In brief: a wonderful place to work. Pays its Adjuncts well and treats you like a human being.

They have an automated system for giving out assignments that routs out nepotism or favoritism; and is totally based on seniority. Also, the management will stand by you with any student disagreements and not cave in to generally naughty student demands. (I.e., it's all the professors' fault, I didn't know those requirements, etc.)
Pros
check the office for pizza and left-over sandwiches!
Cons
your still an adjunct :-(
Relaxed but focused work environment with like-minded coworkers
College Aide (Current Employee) –  Selden, NYMarch 22, 2015
Really enjoyed the work atmosphere and working with a small department. I liked interacting with students that came into the office asking for help or advice, and networking with professors and other professionals that worked with me. I learned a lot about writing professional emails, letterheads, and being a self motivator to get work done and be innovative to increase the efficiency of the office. I worked well with all of my coworkers and everyone's opinion is heard and taken into consideration during meetings and discussions about the department.
Great Place to work for college kids
Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYJune 28, 2012
The atmospher was always upbeat and filled with energy. The staff members were always helpfull and understanding. I leaned about Micosoft Excel here and did a lot of date input. The hardest part of the job was hanging the posters. The most enjoyalbe part for working with the students.
Pros
meet most of the students and always knew about upcoming events
Cons
would have liked to work more hours
very good work environment
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  SeldenSeptember 11, 2015
As an Adjunct Instructor, I am included in all department meetings and asked for my opinion,

I am encouraged to assist with community outreach.

The Chairperson is a very good leader who listens to ideas and works with everyone to improve the program.

The culture is a happy culture. We work to motivate the students and are very committed to create a positive learning experience.
Pros
continuous improvement and happy environment
Cons
financial
Work place
Math Instructor (Current Employee) –  Selden, NYMarch 22, 2013
I have learned how to work with varies personalities. The hardest part of the job is to come up with new and inventive ways to motivate students to learn the subject of mathematics. The most rewarding part of the job is when you get a student that had been having trouble learning math, understand the concept you were teaching and then gets the confidence to try other probems.
Enjoyable place to work.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYMay 3, 2015
Suffolk County Community College provides a wonderful work environment that focuses on professional development in order to foster student achievement. Many workshops are offered to staff regarding various subjects. The college constantly communicates with its employees to ensure employees are aware of changes or improvements on the college campuses.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Reception
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYDecember 30, 2014
I input data entry and answered phones. I took ticket orders for college theatre shows and ushered people to their seats. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to see shows for free. I learned how to deal with multiple switchboard lines and became proficient at it. I did not have coworkers.
Pros
getting to see shows for free.
maintenance
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYJuly 31, 2014
Perform daily maintenance to the building. Clean entire building, classrooms and professors offices, make sure equipment is well-organized. Buff, wax, and strip school floors/offices. Move heavy objects (boxes/pallets). Fix broken doors, Install furniture, Lift heavy objects (signs), Order merchandise (computer experience) and Paint classrooms/building walls. Hi-low and bobcat experience, repaired school equipment.
Has potential but contains many blocks
Head Swim Coach (Former Employee) –  BrentwoodApril 16, 2014
This school has potential to be a great work atmospher but there are individuals there who would rather not see it move in a healthy and more productive direction.
Pros
nice facilities
Cons
heavy on politics and not on positive results.
It was interesting and I learned a lot from working there.
College Aide @ the Call Center (Former Employee) –  Riverhead, NYJanuary 6, 2013
The only drawback was it wasnt enough hours and we had to take a furlow (6 weeks per year)
Pros
i got to spend more time with my sons.
Cons
not enough hours
Professional and Friendly
Video Editor (Former Employee) –  Selden, NYMay 14, 2012
Working for SCCC was a great experience. I learned a lot of important skills including working for others and producing a product to please a client. A normal workday consisted of several hours assembling clips into a rough cut.
Political
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Selden, NYAugust 7, 2015
SCCC is considered to be the 2nd largest 'dumping ground' for politicians family members. SCCC is on a moratorium and has not and will not open employment lines with benefits.
Pros
Make your own hours
Cons
NO Benefits
Inspired by the students! Not inspired by discrimination
Instructor, Economics (Former Employee) –  Selden, NYJuly 24, 2014
Some of the students are exceptionally bright and all of them are there to learn. The staff is nice and accommodating. Sadly in hiring and promotion the practice of gender and race discrimination is very very obvious.
fun place to work but can be serious too
College Aide (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYMay 24, 2013
Administrative Duties and helping out my managers. I learned secretarial work, I became very proefficient in all the MS programs.
Pros
loved it!!!!
Cons
nothing
Productive and fun work place with a fun group of people
College Aid (Current Employee) –  Selden, NYMarch 26, 2014
*learned how to work with different kinds of people.
* expertise on banner system
*organize event such as open house
* office interior decoration
Interesting work
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYFebruary 6, 2014
As a part-time instructor, I had opportunities to adults trying to improve their technical knowledge by taking classes. Management was very supportive.
Pros
interesting work
Cons
would have liked to teach more classes

4.4