Suffolk County Community College Employee Reviews

Good side job
Student Tutor (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYDecember 1, 2017
Good way to make a little extra money and you are helping students like yourself who are having a hard time in their classes. You can work as little as 4 hours per week and the schedule is very flexible.
excellent
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Riverhead, NYNovember 21, 2017
great place to work and love the environment. . The people is amazing and they prepared you well to do your job. They are organized and fair. they care about their workers.
Good people to work with
1) Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYOctober 18, 2017
My coworkers made me feel welcome and comfortable when I first started working and they were their to help me if I needed it. I love how no one was rude and their customer engagement was well balanced
Pros
one free meal
Cons
lack of communication with management
Excellent position
Associate Professor of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Riverhead, NYSeptember 24, 2017
We are committed to a 15 hr work week in the classroom. Many extra hours of committee work. My particular campus has a community atmosphere. I was extremely happy there until another professor undermined my position and I was forced to resign
Pros
Great campus atmosphere
Fast paced and exciting
freshman seminar teacher (Former Employee) –  Selden, NYAugust 29, 2017
A typical day at work would be to teach freshman seminar then tutor in office hours.
I learned business skills and strong budget analyst skills
The management was awesome.
The work place culture was intense but fun.
The hardest part o the job was having to go home because you enjoyed your job so much.
The most enjoyable part o the job was balancing the budget because you could see the immediate rewards of such in students lives through their demeanor , personality ,and academics.
Pros
great pay
Cons
wasn't permanent job
Federal Work Study Student: I was a Secretary Assistant for The Department of Business, Accounting, and Paralegal Studies
Federal Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Selden, NYJuly 15, 2017
I had a great time working in the Business, Accounting and Paralegal Studies Department as a work study student. I was a secretaries assistant and helped out the professors of the department and helped guide college students in the right direction. It was a great work atmosphere, with friendly people, and they kept me on my toes. The most enjoyable part about the job was meeting a variety of different people. Hardest part of the job was when the copy machine would decide to get jammed and i would have to unclog it (but that was easy). A typical day of work consisted of answering phones, copying, delivering and sending mail, talking with professors and students, getting/organizing supplies, putting up and taking down displays/flyers on bulletin boards, sending emails, helping the secretary, and Etc. Both of my bosses were amazing.
Caring & Knowledgeable Staff
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Selden, NYJuly 7, 2017
Training students and continuing education populations was an enjoyable experience. Guidance was provided every step of the way and feedback given on a daily basis.
Great job and place to work if your young and and just entering the work field.
Auto Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Selden, NYJune 20, 2017
Suffolk County Community College is a great school and a pretty nice place to work. I had the privilege of attending this school and obtaining my associates degree in retail business management as well as an opportunity to obtain employment. I started out in the mail room part time and moved to a full time position on the grounds crew. a typical day of work starts a 7 am and ends at 3 pm. Working at this Suffolk County Community College i learned how to operate heavy machinery, collect,weigh and postage various parcels for out going distribution. the hardest part of the job is working the mandatory ours in the winter time during snow storms. the most enjoyable part of the job is working and completing work orders with my co worker.
Pros
7-3 work schedule, abundance of overtime
Cons
mandatory overtime in the winter, hard to advance
Suffolk County Community College
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYMay 9, 2017
Great place to work all coworkers are very helpful and cooperative.
But if you do not have full time job you have very less wages and no benefits at all.
Need higher pay
Public Safety Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYMay 2, 2017
Not great benefits. Need to offer more raises and better hours. Boss are nice and flexible with time off. But need to offer more incentives to staff members.
Simple tutoring for basic courses
Professional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYApril 16, 2017
I tutor mathematics, statistics, etc. and it is a very laid back atmosphere. I only work a few hours per week so it really is a good side job if you are available in the mornings or daytime.
I worked as a Student Activities Assistant.
Student Activities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Selden, NYApril 7, 2017
I would make signs for the college for events. I would make photo copies. I would answer the students questions. I would give the students directions if they were lost.
Pros
They gave some benefits.
Cons
They paid minimum wage.
Paid tutoring experience.
Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Suffolk County, NYMarch 31, 2017
Honestly it's been so long since I worked there that I barely remember much, so I'm just filling in words to meet the 150 character minimum, since Indeed.com won't let me NOT review this job. It was fine, I guess. I didn't like the older people on staff because they treated student tutors like trash, but that's old people for you.
I enjoyed my time as a Peer Mentor
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYMarch 30, 2017
I enjoyed my time every day whenever i went to work. I would always be greeted by my co-workers and my supervisors. I was able to learn leadership pretty well. The most enjoyable part about it is that i feel accomplished everyday after i finished.
Rewarding work
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Selden, NYMarch 16, 2017
Rewarding work providing assistance to students at Suffolk County Community College. Positive workplace culture among employees. Offices in need of update.
Great colleagues and students
Adjunct Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Riverhead, NY 11901March 6, 2017
Suffolk Community College is a great place to work. My colleagues and students create a fun and challenging work environment.
I teach Developmental Writing, Freshman Composition, Intro to Literature, and Creative Writing. Member of the College-Wide Developmental Writing Advisory Committee.
Fun to be at work everyday and very busy office
Professional Assistant (Current Employee) –  533 college road, selden ny 11784March 3, 2017
I personally love this job, I work voluntary with no pay and there is always something to do. The people are very nice and they were willing to train me to do advance tasks.
calm working environment
Test Proctor (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYJanuary 28, 2017
Calm and easy working environment, co-workers are all friendly and willing to help anyone out. Students are usually nice and friendly enough, as long as you do not treat them as children.
professional work environment
Adjunct Mathematics Instructor (Current Employee) –  Selden, NYJanuary 18, 2017
As an adjunct instructor, I feel respect as a professional. They are flexible with scheduling courses and assisting you with academic questions and concerns.
Pros
Professional Environment
Cons
Not guaranteed schedule
Wonderful coworkers
Education Opportunity Program - Instructor (Current Employee) –  Riverhead, NYJanuary 3, 2017
Well run institution with people who care about the students.

Students are, for the most part, active and willing to learn.

Coworkers are pleasant and willing to help.