Suffolk County Community College Employee Reviews

Instructor (Former Employee), Brentwood, NYMay 9, 2015
Competitive salary
Very helpful faculty, staff, and administration
Well organized
Great students who are hard working
Enjoyable place to work.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Brentwood, NYMay 3, 2015
Pros: Flexible scheduling
Suffolk County Community College provides a wonderful work environment that focuses on professional development in order to foster student achievement. Many workshops are offered to staff regarding various subjects. The college constantly communicates with its employees to ensure employees are aware of changes or improvements on the college campuses.
Relaxed but focused work environment with like-minded coworkers
College Aide (Current Employee), Selden, NYMarch 22, 2015
Really enjoyed the work atmosphere and working with a small department. I liked interacting with students that came into the office asking for help or advice, and networking with professors and other professionals that worked with me. I learned a lot about writing professional emails, letterheads, and being a self motivator to get work done and be innovative to increase the efficiency of the office. I worked well with all of my coworkers and everyone's opinion is heard and taken into consideration during meetings and discussions about the department.
The creme de la creme of Community Colleges
Adjunct (Current Employee), Selden, NYMarch 13, 2015
Pros: check the office for pizza and left-over sandwiches!
Cons: your still an adjunct :-(
In brief: a wonderful place to work. Pays its Adjuncts well and treats you like a human being.

They have an automated system for giving out assignments that routs out nepotism or favoritism; and is totally based on seniority. Also, the management will stand by you with any student disagreements and not cave in to generally naughty student demands. (I.e., it's all the professors' fault, I didn't know those requirements, etc.)
School
Suffolk County community College (Former Employee), Brentwood/SeldenJanuary 23, 2015
I have been here for schooling in fire science.
It was a great experience
Productive and educational
College Aide (Former Employee), Selden, NYJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: friendly and educational atmosphere
Working at Suffolk Community College is a friendly and educational place to work.
Reception
Receptionist (Former Employee), Brentwood, NYDecember 30, 2014
Pros: getting to see shows for free.
I input data entry and answered phones. I took ticket orders for college theatre shows and ushered people to their seats. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to see shows for free. I learned how to deal with multiple switchboard lines and became proficient at it. I did not have coworkers.
Student-aid
Student Aid (Former Employee), Brentwood, NYNovember 30, 2014
I do prefer to obtain a job in an office-like setting like I had with this one but I am very open to jobs of other settings as well. I am the kind of person who can find valuable qualities in any job I take on. In this job, I was responsible for signing in and out students, organizing files and folders, and anything else my fellow co-workers and supervisors needed my assistance with. I enjoyed working with the individuals I worked with because even though it was entirely professional, it was also a mutual and friendly atmosphere. I got to meet a diverse amount of people because it was a foreign language office and I also learned a bit more of how my school worked.
The hardest part of the job for me was leaving. When I left, I knew it was time for me to focus more on my education and future and that my short time there was over but it was still hard for me to leave because I knew it was a valuable experience for me.
Horrible management
PA (Former Employee), Selden, NYOctober 25, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: horrible management
Very politically driven. If you have an unqualified, poor manager with an ego problem it can be very difficult and unpleasant.
maintenance
Maintenance (Former Employee), Brentwood, NYJuly 31, 2014
Perform daily maintenance to the building. Clean entire building, classrooms and professors offices, make sure equipment is well-organized. Buff, wax, and strip school floors/offices. Move heavy objects (boxes/pallets). Fix broken doors, Install furniture, Lift heavy objects (signs), Order merchandise (computer experience) and Paint classrooms/building walls. Hi-low and bobcat experience, repaired school equipment.
Inspired by the students! Not inspired by discrimination
Instructor, Economics (Former Employee), Selden, NYJuly 24, 2014
Some of the students are exceptionally bright and all of them are there to learn. The staff is nice and accommodating. Sadly in hiring and promotion the practice of gender and race discrimination is very very obvious.
Member of Legal (Former Employee), Brentwood, NYJuly 10, 2014
One of the best colleges at suffolk county

Great accounting program.

Helping and experienced professors.
Good place to work; great students to teach. Faculty is supportive
Adjunct Professor of Journalism (Current Employee), Selden, N.Y.May 27, 2014
A strong, supportive place to work as a teacher with great students.
Has potential but contains many blocks
Head Swim Coach (Former Employee), BrentwoodApril 16, 2014
Pros: nice facilities
Cons: heavy on politics and not on positive results.
This school has potential to be a great work atmospher but there are individuals there who would rather not see it move in a healthy and more productive direction.
Productive and fun work place with a fun group of people
College Aid (Current Employee), Selden, NYMarch 26, 2014
*learned how to work with different kinds of people.
* expertise on banner system
*organize event such as open house
* office interior decoration
Interesting work
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee), Hauppauge, NYFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: interesting work
Cons: would have liked to teach more classes
As a part-time instructor, I had opportunities to adults trying to improve their technical knowledge by taking classes. Management was very supportive.
ok school
Introduction to Criminal Justice (Former Employee), Riverhead, NYJanuary 31, 2014
¬¬Collegiate Learning and Cognitive Development ¬American Juvenile Justice
Great office environment
College Aide in the Office of Academic Affairs (Former Employee), Brentwood, NYJanuary 21, 2014
Performed routine tasks. Enjoyable atmosphere working with students, faculty, and fellow co-workers.
Professional office with fun staff
Secretary (Former Employee), Selden, NYJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: wage
Cons: heavy paper work
A typical day at work requires setting advising and testing appointments, answering phone calls, answering questions about the school, assisting new students, making new student schedules, setting up placement test, filling, heavy computer use with access, banner and other systems. Supervisors and dean are always there when we need help. My co-workers are friendly and so easy to work with because we help each other out with the work load. Everyone is treated the same way and the work environment is very positive. The most difficult part is dealing with parents who give us a hard time, but other than that I love everything about this job. I really enjoy helping students and guiding them towards the right direction.
Student Aide (Former Employee), Eastern Campus, Riverhead, NYOctober 17, 2013
Pros: good enviroments, coworkers
Cons: benefits for pt workers
Good place to work. Good team support, advisement, etc. Also good trainings provided.