Suffolk University Employee Reviews in United States

Service oriented
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Office of Research and Sponsored ProgramsMarch 2, 2016
I manage the day to day activities of IRB submissions.

IRB matters are not often black and white, there are a lot of grey areas compliance must consider.

Management depends on what department you are in, our department is comprised of a very small group, which allows us to communicate effectively.

Having to guide new IRBNet user can be difficult if the user is unfamiliar with the system but I enjoy interacting and communicating with the faculty and staff.
A typical day at work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 16, 2016
coming into my shift one of the first thing i do is check the messages to pass them along to my superior. then i proceed to the mailroom where i sort out the packages. as packages arrive student start to assemble to received their order. at the same time answer the phone whenever it rung to guide the customers through their question. and the cycle continue. few times a day students will need me to physically assist them with project. day in the life
No room for growth
Coordinator- SBS Dean's office (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 28, 2016
Growing within the university is down to who you know, and the connections you develop. There is little room to move, no raises in over 4 years, a culture, of low morale. Currently, work for a great department, but nowhere to move.
Pros
Work Like Balance, tuition benefits.
Cons
No cost of living increases, or raises. No Job security.
Productive and fun environment
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 30, 2016
A normal day involves me working with student residents, answering questions, getting packages, and helping with minor problems someone may have. I work with other students creating a supportive work place. It's been great working around my class schedule.
Don't let the name fool you
Support (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 6, 2016
There has been a 4 year pay freeze which looks to be continuing throughout 2016. A lot of in office drama and people who are constantly bitter. Best to try your luck at BU or Emerson.
Pros
Lots of holiday time off, cafeteria in building for students/faculty/staff, vacation and sick time
Cons
pay freeze, no advancement opportunities.
Mentoring incoming freshman help me grow as a person
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 7, 2015
Being nervous and not knowing what to expect as an incoming freshman was something every college student has to deal with. As a peer mentor i was able to make that process easier for not only incoming freshman, but their parents as well. Who were as expected, concerned about their children and how the transition to Suffolk University will be
very productive learning environment
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 12, 2016
Earned my MBA while working full time in the Deans office.. Was able to apply skills I learned thru MBA courses in the Deans Office, like revamping the database for professors. Great job and was very sad to leave after earning my MBA.
Pros
learning
Great Team
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 21, 2016
The team here makes the atmosphere. It is very fast paced, but everyone there really cares about what they do. Typical day can last from 8am-8pm, but the work is fun and the students are great.
Pros
Great Location
Great work environment with collaborative team
Graduate Fellow (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 29, 2016
Working at Suffolk has been an enjoyable learning experience. I like working within a team setting, and feel it is very easy to share my ideas/opinions during collaboration times.
Typical higher education atmosphere with tuition benefits but low salary.
Student Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 20, 2015
The year has it's ups and downs depending on what is going on. The office itself has great, fun staff, but the students and parents can cause a lot of headache. 20% of the students causing 80% of the frustration.

The university does offer good benefits, but the salary compensation makes it difficult to make ends meet in the city of Boston.

Advancement is difficult because most higher ranking administrators have been at the university quite some time. At times, it feels like the only way to move up is if the person above you passes away.
Diverse and fun place to work!
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 6, 2016
Suffolk University has a great work-study program set up for students, where you can learn new skills and keep in touch with the wide spread student body.
good place to work
Sawyer Business School (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 26, 2016
great people, great environment to work. I would definitely recommend this employer. Its a productive environment to work in and interact with students, faculty, administrators, staff etc.,
Amazing workplace with a really nice experienced people around
Graphic Design Fellow (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 6, 2015
Working with Suffolk University was a wonderful experience for me.
Day used to start with a brief meeting on that day's schedule and deadlines.
Working on the new ideas and challenges was always fun at Suffolk University.
The management welcomed each and everyone's ideas and thoughts and a discussion helped a lot in making any big decisions.
Pros
free bees and meeting with new students everyday!
Cons
Nothing much
Productive and fun place to work
Theater Chair Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 12, 2016
Had an amazing time working there! I highly improved on my time-management skills. Everyone is very friendly and cooperative.
Productive workplace
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 9, 2015
Great location, located in the heart of downtown Boston. I worked with amazing students & faculty. Friendly diverse community.
Pros
Free courses!
Cons
Upper administration constantly shifting
Good adjunct pay
Adjunct (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 21, 2015
They pay great for the Boston area. The school of design is a bit dysfunctional as many people who do solid work are not aware of industry trends. New programs are not likely to succeed.
Pros
great pay
Cons
a bit confusing to manage
Modern Language Assistant
Modern Language Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 11, 2015
Working along side prestigious faculty members of the Suffolk University Modern Language Department served as an enriching experience that helped me to further developed presentation and speech skills.

My tasks included assisting students with projects, homework assignments, and translation, provided assistance to professors during class time and with daily activities and served as a substitute for Spanish professors. In addition, I also taught exam review strategies to students and assisted with the correction of student’s work
Great Environment
Comparative Physiology Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 7, 2015
A typical day included pre lab set up of equipment, calibration of tools, mixing of chemicals, preparation of organisms. During lab I would assist the students with procedure and answer any questions they might have. I gained more knowledge of how to assist people in general and to help them in such a way where I was not doing the lab for them, but rather aiding them in figuring out what they needed to be doing. My only co-worker was my supervisor and he was always great, very encouraging and helpful. The hardest part of my job was running around attempting to find equipment that was scattered about the biology department. The most enjoyable part was helping the students as well as learning from my supervisor.
working near beacon hill area is nice.
Plant Electrician (Current Employee) –  boston,maMay 27, 2015
My job involves working in dorms,classrooms,labs,office spaces,law and business schools spread over nine buildings on Beacon Hill and downtown Boston. I work with in-house trades and outside contractors. I do maintenance including ballast changes,installing and wiring equipment,installing breakers in panels up to 480volt.The hard part working on the hill is the cold and windy winters and the good part is the breezy summers.
Pros
good bunch of co-workers.
Cons
weather on the hill.
Productive Workplace
Work Study Worker (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 10, 2015
My typical day at work is sitting at the desk at their Athletics office and answer phone calls throughout the day, as well as networking with co-workers and staff around the office.

4.3