Sugar Foods Corporation Employee Reviews

Sexist, Cut throat
forklift operator/Picker (Former Employee) –  Villa Rica, GAJune 3, 2017
Managers are constantly quitting. Two, 20 min breaks a day. 13+hour shifts, 5 -7 days a week. Executives have amazing benefits, but anyone in the warehouse would be insane for even suggesting better benefits or shorter work days and if not shorter days then at least longer breaks.
Great work place.
Facility Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Villa Rica, GAMay 13, 2017
I've had a great time working there it was stressful when I was still in high school to work a 5 day week and go to school but I made it through. I believe anyone can do it.
Pros
Laid back about breaks
Cons
strange management
great learning experience for fast paced work
Production Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Villa Rica, GAApril 10, 2017
I would start my days at 3:30 a.m by cleaning the line and get boxes for the production of the day. Change products and clean machine then pull the trash as needed. I also packed the products into the boxes as well as sealing the boxes after the product was placed inside the box.
Good starting job
Forklift Operator, Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Bristol, PAMarch 1, 2017
I would recommend this company to anyone who is starting out. This is a great place to work but doesn't come with a lot of benefits. Overall its a good place to work for.
a good place to work
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 13, 2017
The job is fast paced, although the work is not difficult. The hours are fairly typical of the work environment. Overall it has been an enjoyable workplace.
Busy,fast paced work environment.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAJanuary 20, 2017
A physically demanding job.job duties remain the same day in day out. It can be pretty boring sometimes.management is constantly breathing down your neck. They are quick to write you up, but rarely congratulate you on a job well done.
Pros
Union benefits, paid breaks.
Cons
Mandatory overtime, poor management.
Productive and fun workplace
Packing/Rework technician (Former Employee) –  Villa Rica, GANovember 19, 2016
Productive place to work at, had good lighting and safe construction. The employees are treated with respect and equaly throughout the plant. I had no complaints.
Management in Villa Rica plant is horrible
Fork Lift Driver (Current Employee) –  Villa Rica, GAOctober 10, 2016
At one point in time this facility was a pleasure to work at, but with recent changes in management particularly in distribution it quickly became one of the worse job environments to be in. You get absolutely little time home with your family and you're always working over your scheduled work hours. If your shift is 4 days you can expect to work 5 and if it is 5 days you can expect to work 6. They are constantly bringing in temp employees because so many people quit month to month and it isn't because the job is difficult it's because the people don't want to work for the management on site at the plant. There is a management versus employees type of vibe there. They hate to give hard working employees the raises they deserve, you have to threaten to quit before you can get any type of results around there. Until they clean out the management team it will continue to go downhill.
Pros
Not a very difficult job, great starting pay
Cons
Management is horrendous, and they hate to give raises, point system is also horrible.
Fast paced with produtive workers and good cook outs
Forklift Operator/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Villa Rica, GAJuly 19, 2016
On a start day of the week at Sugar Foods i start up by order picking,i learned to stay safe and work safe.The management was always concerned about our safety and were we happy.My coworkers did their best on working together staying safe.My job there was hard work,constant stacking,loading,unloading hardest part was finding space to put product.My most enjoyed part of the job was seeing product getting shipped out on time to help towards our incentives.
Meh
Marketing (Former Employee) –  CAJuly 7, 2016
Small, private company with a family vibe at some of the locations. We get perks like some free product and turkeys at Thanksgiving. There's a great Christmas party and work picnics during the summer in the California offices. Working in the warehouse is cool as well as working in the office. Management tends to identify and groom certain staff which can be discouraging. People sometimes vanish in the cover of night and get fired out of nowhere which makes it hard to know if you're safe or not.
Pros
Family culture
Cons
Uncertainty and Favoratism
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Villa Rica, GAMay 20, 2016
The pay rate is really good but the management has poor communication and they over work employees. Extreme heat conditions are vital as well
High turnover in hourly and management levels creates stress
Operations Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Villa Rica, GAFebruary 16, 2016
Some of the best people that I have ever had the chance to work with. Truly good people work on the floors of Sugar Foods Villa Rica Plant. Management is in flux all the time which creates stress and doubling up of responsibilities to cover the recent terminations. High turnover rate because people are let go before problems are addressed. Still, through all this the associates are proud, hard workers who work well as team members and make the stress tolerable. I will remain in touch with many of them for years and am thankful for their friendship.
Pros
Good people (operators, leads)
Cons
Management constantly changing
National company with growth.
Wish to be anonymous, as I still working there. (Current Employee) –  Villa Rica, GAJanuary 22, 2016
Very solid, expanding company with a lot to offer, especially the benefit package and stable job security. Very many internal problems that prohibit improvement at the local facility. In the 5+ years of my experience I have found advancement opportunities to be limited, as well as personal success and growth, despite individual effort or experience. This will probably will not improve for hourly employees under current top level leadership. Despite the jolly persona presented, there are some serious issues at the top level that plague the operation and prevent positive growth, and its at the local facility's expense . Also, management in one division has a revolving door, which hurts employees in the Bakery (or 'Toppings') division. Starting pay can be low (especially as a temp) but ok considering other opportunities in immediate area.You really have to fight for it, and still might not have the success you hope for. Personally I have tremendous respect for the corporate leaders in NY and the company as a whole, but the local leaders leave much to be desired, or worse.....
If you want to give it a shot, I highly recommend the Dry or 'Powder' division, and not the Bakery/Toppings division. I have spent equal time in both. There are many great employees and managers there, but too often their hands are tied- leading to zero improvement for the employees as a whole. Often the best and easiest way to enter the company is through the temp service, but they do hire individuals directly in to the company (such as through these postings).
Decent company little room for life balance
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Villa Rica, GADecember 13, 2015
Overall decent company. Friendly employees. Company time management poor. When working your hours getting off and breaks vary. Ex: shift could be 3pm to 3am but you may not get off until 5am and your break or lunch may be cut short.
Fabulous owners and employer philosophy
Demand Planning Manager (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CADecember 1, 2015
Enjoyed 17 years with this company. Fabulous work environment and fellow employees. Great learning environment

Advancement opportunities for the person who works hard and shows interest in learning outside of their described position. A steady growth allowed for new positions and opportunities that were exciting and challenging.

Great team concepts put to work for solving issues and keeping all departments tied together in achieving the companies early sales goals.
Pros
Employee lunches and birthday celebrations
Cons
some politics
It was a place where i absolutely did not want to work in
Temporary Worker (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CANovember 4, 2015
A typical work day would involve doing the exact same duty for 8 hours, I learned how to fold and unfold boxes. The management was very strict and wanted everything done as fast as possible. The co-workers were very nice and all tried to make the most of everything. The hardest part was getting mentally ready to fold boxes for 8 hours a day for probably a week straight. The most enjoyable was possibly hearing the buzzer that would send us home.
Pros
Met nice people
Cons
Despised working there
good company with great workers
Production Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Villa Rica, GAOctober 8, 2015
very good company, well maintain environment but the work-life balance is poor, you work long hours and spend more time at work than you do with family.
Pros
some areas have excellent team work, occasional lunches are bought for you
Cons
breaks aren't long, the distance to the break room is far, they don't work with your school schedule
Good steady pay
Material Analyst (Former Employee) –  Villa Rica, GASeptember 10, 2015
Hard work but steady pay. Food production makes it pretty much recession proof. Good health benefits. People are friendly and nice. Management is fair with policy. Not a bad place to work if you know what to expect.
fast paced
Lead Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Villa Rica, GAJuly 12, 2015
Great place to work fun people enjoyed my time there made many friends even met the ceo a couple of times and heck of a christmas party
Not Bad
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Villa Rica, GAJuly 10, 2015
Senior Management is very shady and doesn't stick to their word but the culture is nice and so is the business outlook. The company has changed plant managers many times and salaried staff comes and goes a lot regardless of the tenure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sugar Foods Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval