Sul Ross State University

Sul Ross State University Employer Reviews

Best place i've ever worked
Secretarial (Former Employee), TXJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: easy advancement
Cons: isolated location
The best place I've ever worked. I had the coolest boss ever!! Gives you a place to grow, and have a life outside of work.
ok
Student Coach (Former Employee), Alpine, TXJanuary 12, 2014
tdcj was a great place to work as a guard. really takes alot out of you as a person putting your life on the line 12 hrs a shift. but enjoy that work life.
felt like I made a differene in the lives of many students.
Police Officer (Former Employee), Alpine, TXNovember 14, 2013
Pros: small university close community, free classes
Cons: university dispatchers not experienced dispatchers.
Patrol all University owned property, prevent criminal acts and civil disturbances, make arrests or refer to appropriate University officials for those who were committed such activities. Enforce State and Federal laws where applicable and enforce University Policy and University Regulations. Investigate crimes, conduct searches with warrants, and develop – more... probable cause for search and seizure without warrants, make arrest with warrant and without warrant. Investigate complaints from students, faculty, staff and visitors of the University making preliminary investigations of crimes, conduct preliminary initial interrogation and interviews of suspects, witnesses, and victims, making necessary reports and records in writing. Collect and preserve and maintain chain of custody for evidence. Testify in court. Investigate all traffic accidents and provide reports of accidents, regulate and control traffic, enforce violations of moving and parking regulations. Patrol assigned areas of the University advising, directing and giving information to the general public. Respond to and handling emergencies calls involving a wide range of situations. Work under stressful situations making decisions and plan of action with little or no supervision. Provide service on a call basis. Assist other local law enforcement agencies. Produce daily safety reports and work orders to repair damaged University property. Conduct inspections on all University light poles and providing repair schedule reports to supervisor. – less
good overall if you are a graduate student
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Alpine, TexasOctober 6, 2013
Pros: flexible
good-if you are a graduate student working there
kept busy most of the time
did not manage anybody while I was there
i like it no one really bothered me
a friendly work place everyone is very nice
Mail Service Assistant (Current Employee), Alpine, TXJuly 23, 2013
Pros: majority of people you run into are friendly
Cons: i only work part time, need more hours
a typical day at work consists of handling mail, helping customers that come by office. My co workers are fun to work with and for the most part everyone gets along. Hardest part of my job, is making sure that everything is done properly and within reasonable time.
Job while at college
Intramural Referee (Former Employee), Alpine, TXJune 26, 2013
Pros: it worked well with my college courses
Cons: having to deal with a hostile environment
A typical day for the referee would be to set up the gym or field for the upcoming games. Refereeing the games and keeping score. after the games are over make sure everything is put back to normal for the others utilizing the gym. I learned to be calm in rough situations. With refereeing many people will criticize you but you have to have a short term – more... memory and move forward so emotions to get involved for the game. Management and co-workers were fair. The hardest part of the job would be having to deal with a hostile environment continuously. The enjoyable part was that I am able to be active while working. – less
good school
Secretary (Former Employee), Alpine, TXMay 22, 2013
A lot of data entry, sometimes it was slow paced like in the summer time when there were less students.
Productive and fun workplace
PROPERTY & INVENTORY ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Alpine, TXApril 18, 2013
Sul Ross is great place to work, all staff is very friendly and you have the chance to interact with many people, Great benefits!!
Easy work
Computer Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Alpine, TXApril 4, 2013
Pros: very relaxing, if finished work early, got to work on homework.
Cons: could be boring at times.
Worked as a student worker for the library and computer lab at the school.
The whole 13 years I worked there were very memorable.
ASSISTANT GROUNDS SUPERIVISOR (Former Employee), Alpine, TXAugust 28, 2012
The only way I would go back would be if they would increase the salary.
Alumni Association Executive Director
Director of Alumni Affairs (Former Employee), Alpine, TXJune 11, 2012
Pros: self motivation, creative place to execute ideas, respect from everyone
Cons: pay, stressful, fundraising due to economy determined budged and limited ideas
Loved working with alumni and with higher education. Best place I could have been to spotlight my career and showcase the success of many alumni within their professional careers.
Great Learning Experience
Assistant Softball Coach/Teaching Assistant PE (Former Employee), Alpine, TXJune 1, 2012
Pros: traveling. coaching. learning. experience.
Cons: lack of communication in the work office.
I taught and organized lesson plans for wellness & fitness classes for four semesters and advanced weight training classes for two semesters. It taught me how to manage a classroom, organize, create teacher made tests, lesson plans, etc.

As a coach, I managed a team of 18 players for two years. I helped schedule, manage and organize practices every – more... day. I hosted 6am workouts and learned each person has their own personality and how to deal with each separately.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of communication from the head of the department to his coaching staff. He rarely informed us when meetings were happening and then criticized us if we missed the meeting.

The most enjoyable part of the job was coaching the sport that I have been playing all my life, showing my passion for it to the softball team in hopes that they can use my energy and love for the game to bring it out of themselves every practice and game. – less