Sullivan's Steakhouse Employee Reviews

Productive place to work
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 5, 2017
Enjoyed to work there. Very clean management was not so pleasant to employees. An they don't offer health benefits to employees
Organized and well managed workplace
Busser (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAAugust 1, 2016
Sullivan's is a very well managed and fun place to work. Management has their ear to the ground and are very easy to work with and talk to. It's a great place to learn fine dining, learn how to manage time and work flow, learn how to better function as a team (we pride ourselves on our teamwork) and make great money in the process.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Slow summer
Great company, great employees, tough customers
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 6, 2016
Apple is a great company to work for, the benefits are amazing from the discounts to the insurance. Also the people you work with are really better then any one could ask for. You have the ability to build amazing relationships. The tough side is the demand from the customer.
Great Place to work.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 10, 2017
I enjoyed with working at Sullivan Steakhouse. The staff and management was awesome. I learned how to make reservations and how to set up rom for private parties. The most enjoyable part of my job was greeting the guest and seeing them walk out the doors happy and satisfied.
Pros
Free dinner
Cons
Short breaks
sales driven
Sales and Event Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 25, 2016
Fun work environment, sales driven and fast paced. Management easy to communicate with. Always looking for ways to improve. Great location and easily accessible.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
open for Thanksgiving
Fast paced, enjoyable work.
Lead D.M.O (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 27, 2016
I really would like to work again for this company, since the management is both effective and friendly, very professional and astute.
Pros
Free dinner.
Cons
Non smoking establishment.
Productive workplace with good pay.
Server (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJuly 7, 2016
Coworkers nice. Customers generous on tipping. Hardest part of the job is a lot of sidework! Management could use improvement.
Pros
Free meals provided. Good tips.
Cons
Breaks scarce. Management
Great team that works together to go above and beyond for our guests in a high paced dining establishment.
Server (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 23, 2013
We begin our evening with our family meal in which we all gather together and discuss what may or may not be working for our guest's experiences.
I have learned how to work within a powerful, cohesive team to better serve our guests and ensure that they have a positively memorable evening.
Our management staff is a strong unit that works well together in and out of the office.
My co-workers are more like a second family.
The hardest part of the job is when we come across a situation that causes a glitch in our chain of activity, and our guests end up with a less than amazing experience.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the high energy, positive environment I get to work in where I have daily opportunities to meet interesting people and share in their celebrations.
Pros
Great benefits, great co-workers
Cons
Two-inch heels on a busy Saturday night
Great money with little security.
Server (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 5, 2012
Sullivan's provides great benefits for servers including 401K. The staff provide a warm and friendly environment however the management is over-worked and constantly stressed. They are overly negative using passive-aggressive threats to promote their agendas. There was little room for growth however the money was above and beyond any other restaurant in the area.
As a closing server, a typical day of work for me involved assigning closing side work to fellow employees, assuring completion of running side work by all employees, taking care of my section and all closing tables, assuring completion of all closing side work, returning the restaurant to an inspect-able condition, and reporting to the closing manager.
The hardest part of the job was going to work every day with no guarantee to how much money I would make. There is very little financial security in the service industry.
The most enjoyable part of the night was taking care of my guests. I took pride in trying to make every guest experience a memorable one. Sullivan's is a very expensive restaurant. Many of our guests only visited to celebrate a special occasion such as anniversaries, birthdays, graduations, etc. I would go above and beyond to make sure that were satisfied in all facets of their experience.
Pros
great money, friendly staff
Cons
no job security, little room for growth
Good place to start
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAApril 19, 2016
Great company to get started with and learn the basics of management as you progress. They do demand allot of hours from managers with minimal quality of life.
Great opportunity for advancement
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  HoustonMarch 5, 2012
Excellent Company with great benefits. Expected to grow immensely in the next 5 years. The right procedures and processes to make a potential candidate successful.
Pros
great benefits (e.g. 401k matching, insurance for all employees, company growth)
Slow paced fine dining in downtown Chicago
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2016
This was my first management job outside of college. I was able to manage in many areas included front office and payroll as well as assistant manager. I gained a lot of experience working with the general public, managing expenses and people.
Fun crew and great training
Fine Dining Server (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 26, 2016
I helped open this restaurant when it first opened in Seattle. I really enjoyed the upscale atmosphere.The food was excellent and they really took pride in the final product.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Took a while to get business coming in
Only busy during the fall.
Server (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 8, 2014
A typical day at work is setting up for the shift and then waiting at least a few hours before I get a table. I have learned that this is a good job until I can get a job in my career field. The GM is an amazing manager and I wish the rest of management was the same. My co-workers are great team players and are willing to help at any point. The hardest part of my job is working really hard and not making the amount of money I deserve. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I serve guests that know how to tip.
Pros
Every day we are given a "family meal" which means the kitchen makes us breakfast and dinner.
Cons
The money is definitely not consistent.
Raleigh's Fine Dining at Its Best
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 14, 2015
Your typical fine dining restaurant with pretentious and needy guests, uptight management, the strange and irrational politics only existent in the service industry. Interesting and diverse employee pool, but surprisingly handful of diamonds in the rough.
upclass steakhouse where advancement was based on who you know
DMO/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 20, 2015
typical day consisted of over seeing co-working DMOs that spoke very little English. I speak a little Spanish, but not enough to explain things, so i would have to show them to explain fully. I would help out with DMO responsibilities when business picked up. I would also act as a prep cook, due to previous experience, and close down the DMO section at the end of the night. I was ask to over see the DMO section due to my outstanding organization skills. Line cook positions opened and I was over looked and told I was not being offered the position because I was to valuable in my current position. I was denied opportunities to excel in other positions because I was too good at my current position.
Pros
free lunch every day, very easy job
Cons
it's not whatyou know, its who you know
Decent Steakhouse
Admin (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 6, 2014
I really enjoyed the work I did at Sullivan's, I cant say I enjoyed the working environment. The office was very small with two computers, and shared between 3-5 people in a day. I at times would get bumped off the computer and 98% of my work was done on the computer. I would start my day off doing employee payroll, depending on how busy the night was before it would take me anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour. After payroll I check emails and take care of any small duties before I start inputting vendor invoices. We had invoices from liquor companies, beer companies, meat, seafood, produce, just to name a few. All Invoices needed to be put in correctly for all inventory to be accounted for. I did the daily deposit and went to the bank. Management was not management I would not want to have again. Most of my co-workers were pleasant.
Cons
Not always fed having to pay for own parking
Cool place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 20, 2016
Great food, reliable and consistent clientele. Coworkers are fun and friendly. Nice place to work and make a few friends
suggestive selling of expensive wines and food as well as showing a great deal of hospitality
Server, Head Trainer, Wine Sommelier (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 30, 2013
• As head trainer, I was responsible for teaching new employees steps of service, wine and liquor education, and ensuring they provided exceptional hospitality to our guests.
• Successfully achieved sales targets above and beyond expectations.
• Gained extraordinary experience in customer service and hospitality as well as engaging in teamwork.
Awards Received:
• Recognized multiple times as employee the month; obtained top wine and dining sales.
Pros
lots of mentoring, coaching, and training
Cons
not the ideal business for a career
Productive and always busy work enviroment
Service Assistant/Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DENovember 16, 2013
A typical day could change at any minute. Everyday there are different situations to manage. I manage over 30 employees and also must take care of the guests. Doing inventory, planning private parties, and getting all my paperwork and scheduling done as well. I've learned excellent managing skills and abilities to lead and train others.
Pros
Free healthcare after 2 years employment, great oppurtunity for advancement, great coworkers, great training program
Cons
Long days and hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sullivan's Steakhouse. Our community is ready to answer.

Sullivan's Steakhouse Reviews by Location