Sullivan & Cromwell LLP Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work but, lack of growth
Clerical Asst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 11, 2015
Operations
Time management
Great management
Great co-workers
Obtaining goals
Team work is essential when working for this company
Pros
Team work
Cons
Short breaks
Busy and exciting environment. Permitted to lead and provide council to our team members.
Lead Operator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2013
Lead operator who started the midnight shift. Call center reports and reviews provided to management. Staff of ten operators who handled calls professionally, and in a timely manner. I was allowed the opportunity to implement the standard of operating the midnight staff and rules. The most difficult issues where the scheduling of staff during sicknesses which I would work if there were no available operators. Management allowed me create schedules as needed and did not question my decisions in such matters.
Pros
experienced supervisory rules and procedures, attended management training, worked with a wonderful staff
Cons
moved to the midnight shift for several years, and not able to attend all telecom meetings
great experience
Office Clerk & Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 18, 2014
I was not very happy with the management. co-workers were pleasant to work with . the hardest part of the job was to please the administrator
Pros
free lunches. great bonus
Cons
no advancement
Top of the heap, with the hours to match
Associate (Current Employee) –  LondonMarch 19, 2015
S&C is an amazing place to work, but you need to be willing to dedicate your life to it. Anyone who complains about hours is missing the point. Co-workers tend to be highly motivated, or seeking the exit, partners commit as much as they expect from associates and the compensation is excellent.
Collegial Working environment
Contract Attorney - Commercial Litigation (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2015
Firm life is manageable. Colleagues and staff are very friendly. Ability to move into other departments is medium. Overall, this firm provides a good balance between practice and family life.
Worked there 27 years! Learned and made a number of friends in the Legal world.
Asst Supervisor of Office Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2013
Daily day included the shipping and receiving of all postal and courier parcels. The daily distribution and collection of the companies mail.
Supervisors taught me the proper use of all dept equipment ie. copiers,fax machine, postal meter, etc
Promoted later to Assistant Supervisor of Service Dept.
Promoted to Assistant Manager of Reproduction.
Hardest part, long hours
Most enjoyable,,,Travel all over the country and some international travel for the firm, Met some prominent people.
Pros
travel
The cream of the crop
Legal Proofreader (freelance) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2015
Professional in every way. I wish they'd hire me, but there are never any full time openings. They ask that you arrive on time, do your job, and leave on time. That's it. And management always has time t listen to you as a person.
Pros
cafeteria in the day
Cons
not hiring as personnel don't leave and for good reason
Very productive environment
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2013
I was with the Firm approximately 19 years. That speaks for itself.
I loved the job and the Company. Very diverse duties and was able to move up through the Firm
Pros
free lunch for about 8 years. cab home after 8:00 pm; great benefits
Cons
i really don't have any
Good work environment
CONTRACT ATTORNEY (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2014
Excellent co-workers. Good work environment for career advancement.
Partner Secretary (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 16, 2014
Great peers, good work environment, great benefits a good place to make long term business associations.

Nice staff benefits
A great place to work.
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 27, 2015
A very good place to work. I had a productive and great time working here. The atmosphere and people are great. It was all around a great experience for me. I would definitely recommend this place to prospective applicants.
Pros
free dinners.
Cons
not applicable
Professional atmosphere
New York, NY (Former Employee) –  Office CoordinatorNovember 9, 2011
Was the best job and company I ever had the pleasure to work for.
benefits
retro
support staff (Former Employee) –  DCFebruary 24, 2012
feudalism incarnate. the partners are considered "gods" and woe be unto those who don't act accordingly: bullying, disapproving head-to-toe glances, brusqueness and public humiliation await those who show even the slightest benign advances by action or suggestion, no matter how well-intentioned.
Pros
bonus, paid time off.
Cons
poor at promoting, backward technology for support staff, tolerance of abuse.
Hands on Environment
Adm. Asst/Legal Asst. & Analyst Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2012
You are always useful to the firms growth. You learn new things and build on your talents. This is the most enjoyable part of working here because you feel like you distribute to the firm no matter how small your tasks. There are always new workshops to help you develop yourself as an employee and an individual.

A typical day at work for me is helping manage a few hundred Legal Assistants and Analyst from lateness' to days out of the office and running reports. Sometimes I work alone for most days and sometimes I interact with the managers of the department to discuss various things. It's an easy work environment and can sometimes be demanding but exciting. Management is easy to work with and talk to as well as my co-workers.

The hardest part of the job is covering for other people when your swamped. Mostly while co-workers are on vacation. However it always seems to work out and everyone usually pitches in to help out with the work load. Great team work.

I have mostly learned how to help manage a large group of individuals as well as coming up with new ways to improve the department on a larger scale. Two things that I was unfamilar with in the past. Previously I worked in smaller groups and was expected to keep my tasks close to protocol. Here I was able to improve by bringing in my knowledge and skills from previous jobs. This was also the first time I didn't work as closely with partners and lawyers and took on more managerial tasks as opposed to mainly assistant tasks.
Pros
cafeteria, back-up child care, convenience store and coffee shop on site
Cons
free coffee isn't so great

4.4