Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation Employee Reviews

Great if you value job security over career advancement
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 15, 2013
Most days at SMBC focused on credit reports and loan proposals, though intradepartmental (and, to a lesser extent, client) meetings would sometimes account for significant portions of the workday.

Sumitomo is a great place to work for those who prize job security over advancement. Promotions at the institution are based on the number of years a person has worked at the company; individual performance is often overlooked.

Co-workers were mostly helpful, though there were obvious tensions within some groups, as the Japanese culture of the bank often did not mesh well with American culture.

I enjoyed meeting diverse clients, ranging from global multilateral agencies to municipal governments.
Pros
job security
Cons
tremendous bureaucracy; poor communication across groups
Japanese Roots very visible
Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 12, 2015
Extremely quiet work environment. Hours vary depending on the department/type of work you do. Back office usually work 40hr max, while middle/front work a lot more. The company is growing and expanding which is a very good sign however, salary is still WAY below market. You have a better chance of making a lot more money in other banks. People get 38-40k starting here.
Pros
Good Health Benefits.
Cons
Terrible pay
Terrible company to work for. Salary way below market standards.
Sr. Analyst (Current Employee) –  New YorkMarch 15, 2014
Coworkers are predominantly Japanese expats.
Enjoyable if you like micro management and strict uptight culture.
Pros
there are none. if offered a job, do not accept. you will regret it.
Cons
strict micro management culture. low glass ceiling. no room for growth. expat dominant environment.
Great Working Environment and Great Employees
Compliance Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2014
It's a very good company, many employees been here at least 5years plus, so that tells a lot about the nature of the company.
I started working here as an Intern for the Compliance Team and after 4 months they promoted me to Consultant position because they liked my job, hardworking and ability to handle my tasks.
My co-workers are great individuals who I look up to them weather I need help or need to learn something from them. My boss is an excellent individual, he believed in me from day one and that gave me lots of confidence.
I enjoy it a lot here because of the people are so friendly and they make me feel comfortable to work here. I'm looking for a bigger challenge and to grow my career. I recently received my bachelor’s degree and I want to utilize my educational background in my next position.
Solid Company for any employee with ambition.
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Harborside, NJJuly 15, 2013
SMBC is a Bank that provides classes, tools, and mentors to their employees. Although, Promotions are vast, They focus on quality and efficiency rather than quantity.
Pros
classes, mentors, balance of work/life, benefits
Cons
hard to get promoted.
Safe Position
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2013
Interesting and culture oriented. Management can be improved. Your job will be taught to you and you will be lectured on the importance of getting project done.
Not a great place to work
Analyst II, Secondary Syndications (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2013
Not a great work environment from day 1. Had great co-workers at junior level but immediate boss was not great and learned very little from him
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
minimal advancement opportunities, bad work envrionment
Horrible
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2015
It's just a horrible experience: nothing gets done; seemingly endless bureaucracy; clear friction between American and Japanese employees.
Pros
Leaving the office every day
Cons
Everything else
Good experience
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2014
Management was very strong at this company and working at this company was a very rewarding experience.
Standard
Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2014
Decent place to work. Good work/life balance. Very conservative and stuck in old ways.
enjoyable workplace
Treasury Officer (Former Employee) –  Centennial towerJanuary 15, 2014
where I can learn and get to know helpful colleagues.there isn't any ot and I could have a work life balance