Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation

Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation Employer Reviews

Terrible company to work for. Salary way below market standards.
Sr. Analyst (Current Employee), New YorkMarch 15, 2014
Pros: there are none. if offered a job, do not accept. you will regret it.
Cons: strict micro management culture. low glass ceiling. no room for growth. expat dominant environment.
Coworkers are predominantly Japanese expats.
Enjoyable if you like micro management and strict uptight culture.
Good experience
Compliance Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 7, 2014
Management was very strong at this company and working at this company was a very rewarding experience.
enjoyable workplace
Treasury Officer (Former Employee), Centennial towerJanuary 15, 2014
where I can learn and get to know helpful colleagues.there isn't any ot and I could have a work life balance
Great Working Environment and Great Employees
Compliance Consultant (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 9, 2014
It's a very good company, many employees been here at least 5years plus, so that tells a lot about the nature of the company.
I started working here as an Intern for the Compliance Team and after 4 months they promoted me to Consultant position because they liked my job, hardworking and ability to handle my tasks.
My co-workers are great individuals – more... who I look up to them weather I need help or need to learn something from them. My boss is an excellent individual, he believed in me from day one and that gave me lots of confidence.
I enjoy it a lot here because of the people are so friendly and they make me feel comfortable to work here. I'm looking for a bigger challenge and to grow my career. I recently received my bachelor’s degree and I want to utilize my educational background in my next position. – less
Not a great place to work
Analyst II, Secondary Syndications (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 20, 2013
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: minimal advancement opportunities, bad work envrionment
Not a great work environment from day 1. Had great co-workers at junior level but immediate boss was not great and learned very little from him
Great if you value job security over career advancement
Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 15, 2013
Pros: job security
Cons: tremendous bureaucracy; poor communication across groups
Most days at SMBC focused on credit reports and loan proposals, though intradepartmental (and, to a lesser extent, client) meetings would sometimes account for significant portions of the workday.

Sumitomo is a great place to work for those who prize job security over advancement. Promotions at the institution are based on the number of years a person – more... has worked at the company; individual performance is often overlooked.

Co-workers were mostly helpful, though there were obvious tensions within some groups, as the Japanese culture of the bank often did not mesh well with American culture.

I enjoyed meeting diverse clients, ranging from global multilateral agencies to municipal governments. – less
Solid Company for any employee with ambition.
Operations Associate (Current Employee), Harborside, NJJuly 15, 2013
Pros: classes, mentors, balance of work/life, benefits
Cons: hard to get promoted.
SMBC is a Bank that provides classes, tools, and mentors to their employees. Although, Promotions are vast, They focus on quality and efficiency rather than quantity.
Safe Position
Business Analyst (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 3, 2013
Interesting and culture oriented. Management can be improved. Your job will be taught to you and you will be lectured on the importance of getting project done.

About Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation

Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group (SMFG) is the holding company for Sumitomo Mitsui Banking, which is one of Japan's largest banks – Read more