Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation Employee Reviews

Middle Office / Bank Office
AVP (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2017
The hours are not bad, just a very dead end department. Advancement is really up to who you know. They are very set in their ways there and don't not like process improvement suggestions. If you have an issue with your manager / supervisor you are out of luck as HR is very pro-management.
Pros
Benefit are pretty good
Cons
Low pay, no advancement
Stable Job
Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2017
The job is very stable and work/life balance is not bad - however depending on projects/positions.
Typical day can be repetitive - which is why it can be stable.
Always a lot to learn - but must be motivated to learn yourself by asking questions. People do not teach you unless you ask, however they are willing to teach you.
Management is not great - poor management of people. Rely on the same people to do most of the work and dynamic becomes unbalanced.
Hardest part of the job is being finding your place - you will not move up easily.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the different personalities that you work with - mostly friendly and helpful.
Pros
healthcare
Busy with keeping up to date with the federal reserve
Senior trading assistant (Current Employee) –  277 park ave ny ny 10172January 15, 2017
Overall a good place to work. Hours are dependant on the FED. Have to be willing to adapt wth working with expats. Working on the money market side, you have to be a great people person both internally and externally. Constantly taking deals over the phone.
Too conversative and old-school
Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 18, 2016
Too conversative and old-school but the people are mostly nice and there's work life balance (depending on which group you're in). There's a lot of hierarchy and long processes.
Smbc
Transaction Examination Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJAugust 17, 2015
The culture of SMBC is really laid back compared to other institutions. It's a place that focus more on the quality of work than the quantity. Here you can find most of the people friendly and willing to help which generally makes the experience enriching. Many of their employees created long lasting careers because of this and knowing the stability of the bank.

Growth and development can vary within the organization depending on who's your manager. All though HR is trying to change a lot of these practices, these changes will take time to implement across the board.
Pros
The benefits are great.
Cons
The salary compensation is not matching to their competitors.
Horrible
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2015
It's just a horrible experience: nothing gets done; seemingly endless bureaucracy; clear friction between American and Japanese employees.
Pros
Leaving the office every day
Cons
Everything else
Japanese Roots very visible
Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 12, 2015
Extremely quiet work environment. Hours vary depending on the department/type of work you do. Back office usually work 40hr max, while middle/front work a lot more. The company is growing and expanding which is a very good sign however, salary is still WAY below market. You have a better chance of making a lot more money in other banks. People get 38-40k starting here.
Pros
Good Health Benefits.
Cons
Terrible pay
Standard
Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2014
Decent place to work. Good work/life balance. Very conservative and stuck in old ways.
Terrible company to work for. Salary way below market standards.
Sr. Analyst (Current Employee) –  New YorkMarch 15, 2014
Coworkers are predominantly Japanese expats.
Enjoyable if you like micro management and strict uptight culture.
Pros
There are none. If offered a job, DO NOT ACCEPT. You will regret it.
Cons
Strict micro management culture. Low glass ceiling. No room for growth. Expat dominant environment.
Good experience
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2014
Management was very strong at this company and working at this company was a very rewarding experience.
enjoyable workplace
Treasury Officer (Former Employee) –  Centennial towerJanuary 15, 2014
where I can learn and get to know helpful colleagues.there isn't any ot and I could have a work life balance
Great Working Environment and Great Employees
Compliance Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2014
It's a very good company, many employees been here at least 5years plus, so that tells a lot about the nature of the company.
I started working here as an Intern for the Compliance Team and after 4 months they promoted me to Consultant position because they liked my job, hardworking and ability to handle my tasks.
My co-workers are great individuals who I look up to them weather I need help or need to learn something from them. My boss is an excellent individual, he believed in me from day one and that gave me lots of confidence.
I enjoy it a lot here because of the people are so friendly and they make me feel comfortable to work here. I'm looking for a bigger challenge and to grow my career. I recently received my bachelor’s degree and I want to utilize my educational background in my next position.
Not a great place to work
Analyst II, Secondary Syndications (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2013
Not a great work environment from day 1. Had great co-workers at junior level but immediate boss was not great and learned very little from him
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Minimal advancement opportunities, bad work envrionment
Great if you value job security over career advancement
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 15, 2013
Most days at SMBC focused on credit reports and loan proposals, though intradepartmental (and, to a lesser extent, client) meetings would sometimes account for significant portions of the workday.

Sumitomo is a great place to work for those who prize job security over advancement. Promotions at the institution are based on the number of years a person has worked at the company; individual performance is often overlooked.

Co-workers were mostly helpful, though there were obvious tensions within some groups, as the Japanese culture of the bank often did not mesh well with American culture.

I enjoyed meeting diverse clients, ranging from global multilateral agencies to municipal governments.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Tremendous bureaucracy; poor communication across groups
Solid Company for any employee with ambition.
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Harborside, NJJuly 15, 2013
SMBC is a Bank that provides classes, tools, and mentors to their employees. Although, Promotions are vast, They focus on quality and efficiency rather than quantity.
Pros
classes, mentors, balance of work/life, benefits
Cons
hard to get promoted.
Safe Position
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2013
Interesting and culture oriented. Management can be improved. Your job will be taught to you and you will be lectured on the importance of getting project done.