Summa Health System Employee Reviews in United States

Leading employer in Northeast Ohio
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Main CampusApril 4, 2016
Innovative, growth-oriented organization in the health care field. They keep the employees engaged and informed.
The organization has strong values and mission. The organization gives a team driven approach while guiding with a gentle hand.
Pros
Competitive benefits
Cons
Productive work place , learning atmophere
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 20, 2016
Check patients in and out, schedule appointments, answer phones and route calls, scan documents. Documentation of encounters, give doctor requested lab results, referrals, honor request patient record release forms learned to mulitask and keep calm under difficult situations the hardest part of my job is when the system is not working correctly, most enjoyable being apart of a good team of co- workers overall the company is a great place to work.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
traveling distance to and from work
Care Assurance Specialist for Summa Health System
Patient Accounts Care Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 15, 2016
I worked 23 years for this fine organization...a wonderful Healthcare System in Akron Ohio. I began as a Food Service Supervisor with my BS in Dietetics and went on to find more challenge in the Department of Surgery where I cross trained 7 different positions including ICD/CPT coding, patient care, medical office, receptionist and SURGERY CONTROL DESK; the air traffic controller of Surgery. Upon seeking more steady hours and "office week", I applied and worked in the Patient Accounting Department where I learned the business/financial side of our patient's accounts. I wrote off millions of dollars to our Care Assurance Program and assisted patients with their medical bills.
I enjoyed working at Summa Health System. I met so many very dear and wonderful people; including our CEO and Chaplain who support me in an employee "group" that brought morale and unity to the workplace.
Pros
So many
Cons
VERY few, if any
Many changes and little communication
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 6, 2016
Summa and its leadership is undertaking many changes. Most of which are not communicated to staff. They also do not include staff or lower level management in the decision making process. My unit seems understaffed most of the time even though leadership insists that we are fully staffed. Most days are filled with frustration and a feeling of not making a difference.
Pros
Co-workers are awesome. Very willing to help each other out.
Cons
Many days where staff does not get breaks and late lunches.
Very great work for a part time student
Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTJanuary 26, 2016
Loved working there and i liked my client and got along with her for a very long time. The job worked into my schedule perfectly and paid very good money for a student in high school.
Pros
I enjoyed my whole experience working here.
Working together in a team approach is essential for a working environment
RN Staff Nurse Plastics (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 25, 2016
This job provided a very rewarding sense of fulfillment of a job well done. Learning opportunities with patient treatments, procedures, and teaching patient and family members for home-going care provides a rewarding feeling. Team work is essential for optimum patient care.The hardest part of the job was having a patient who has no one to care for them at home or visit them as an inpatient.The most enjoyable part of this job is working with co-workers that enjoy their jobs and providing optimum care to the patients.
Things are worse than they appear!
medical assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 20, 2016
I worked at Akron City Hospital for a SPI office for about a year. It was THE worst place I've ever worked for as a medical professional. The pay is low and they expect you to work overtime with little concern for your commitments outside of work. Expect to work with antiquated equipment and physicians who are negligent and habitually violate HIPAA and JHACO guidelines. There is not enough concern for patients' wellbeing. I highly recommend applying anywhere but Summa if you have the option.
Pros
You collect a paycheck, supportive practice manager
Cons
Old malfunctioning equipment, HIPAA violations, dirty hospital, very poor pay, patient safety and satisfaction is not a priority
data entry specialist (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 18, 2015
Typical day is coming in first and checking all emails for incoming updates or changes that might need to be done for any new or existing provider. Also entered data into our database and kept everything current. Terminated providers as needed and also added new provider to Ohio Health Choice
Exciting place to work
Student Nurse Technician (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 14, 2015
I loved working here because I got to learn on a daily basis. The hardest part was working short. The most enjoyable part was doing new things every day.
Comfortable atmosphere to work in
Compliance Coordinator, LabCarePLUS (Current Employee) –  Barberton, OHNovember 24, 2015
Very good employer. Flexible with home/work balance. Staff promotes a team environment. Hours are good. Most employees have stayed with this employer for many years with little turn over.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Lack of growth potential
very stressful work environment
Insurance Verification Representative (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 14, 2015
Management message always seems to conflict with their actions. They say they support a balanced life, but it is so stressful there I am afraid to go into work sometimes. I have concerns that someone is just going to explode over the stress and the non support.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management
Health Screener
Health Screener (Current Employee) –  United StatesOctober 3, 2015
I enjoyed helping people stay healthy and giving advice for their future health as well. Being a health screener is a rewarding job. I plan on doing these clinics still. I am just looking for something more steady.
Productive working environment, caring staff.
Transitional Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 20, 2015
Enjoyed working for Summa as they always encouraged their employees to give their best, really felt appreciated by the management and other staff, was a real team environment.
Pros
Discounted parking and meals, team work
Cons
Could be overwhelming at times.
Great place for learning; lots of experience
ER Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Akron, OhioSeptember 19, 2015
Typical day is very busy and productive. I have learned so many different things. Most of all, nurses are often taken for granted! Management could be better. Lots of rules enforced, however; doesn't really improve the function of how the department operates. Co-workers are just like at any other facility, some are really hard working and others are lazy. The hardest part of the job is trying to meet the demands of physicians, patients and families all while trying to maintain other aspects of your job. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting the needs of those that I serve
Pros
Night shift has a hour lunch, Awesome doctors and clinical coordinators in ER
Cons
Dealing with unreasonable people, Demanding staff
Don't value their employees
Clinical Nurse, ICU (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 13, 2015
The employees are expendable. They treat the employees bad until they realize it they are too late to do something about it
Overall and good employer
Registered Nurse Case Manager/Utilization Review (Current Employee) –  Barberton, OHSeptember 10, 2015
I am currently working in case management and utilization review. There is not much room for advancement in the company currently with all the changes occuring. I feel I work well with my co-workers in managing the patient's discharge plan, as well as coverage for hospital stay. I work will with conjunction with the physician who are willing to take input to provide the best possible care.
Pros
Working in the community that I live in.
Cons
The constant need to chase the dollar.
lot of stress in work place because of all the changes
Patinet Access Rep. Reg (Current Employee) –  Wadsworth, OhioAugust 31, 2015
I really liked working for this Company until the last couple of years with all the changes and being bought and sold. Nobody feels safe in there job because we have lost 6 employees in our department alone in the last few months. This has make everyone tense and nervous and not working as a team. More like everyone for there self. This makes me sad because I've always like working in a team
I feel the management is feeling the same thing so they are not helpful at the moment
Pros
working with the people there
Cons
everything is up in the air at the moment
Great job!
Admission R.N. (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 12, 2015
Great working experience! Loved the those I worked with, met wonderful people. Hectic days and always a meeting. Loved the job while I was there.
review
clinical technical assistabt (Former Employee) –  cuyahoga falls general hospitalAugust 4, 2015
started off happy but when i had to have emergency surgery they were not the friendlist, just turned out to not be helpful
productive work place
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OHJuly 31, 2015
its a great environment to work in & I learned a lot more about the medical field. the hardest part is losing a patient, but the best part is getting to see patients leave to go home to their families