Summa Health Employee Reviews

Used to be a great workplace, but fell short over the past few years
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 15, 2017
My days at Summa were enjoyable and I received exceptional training. I liked my upper management for the most part however, when raises were awarded company-wide, our department's raises were done by favoritism more than by experience or skill.
Great work place
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 9, 2017
Great work place, wonderful people. There are moments when you may be stressed but its not too bad. The CEO made a lot of unnecessary changes but other than that its fine.
Pros
Great people and benefits
Cons
CEO changes suck
Constant Change
Hospice RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 3, 2017
Service oriented hospital system that has seen many changes over the past years and continues to change, some needed, some required, and some questionable. Every department I worked for had supportive staff who are lifelong friends.
Pros
Large company, more opportunity for different career choices
Cons
Many, many changes
Great facilities
Administrative Secretary / Construction (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 22, 2017
Worked there from 1992 to 2011. Many job advances. Great pay. Worked with physicians, staff and vendors. Provided clerical support for active committee meetings. Order supplies.
Pros
Having cafeteria on site
Cons
Paying to park
Very stable employment
Environmental Aide I (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 12, 2017
Nice work environment that offers several opportunities for employee growth and assistance. Internal hiring is common and many employees began with a low skilled job and eventually earned the award of higher skilled and better paying positions. These opportunities for advancement are inspiring for employees and maintain a great work culture at Summa.
Best part of my job
System Director (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 13, 2016
I enjoy knowing that I make a difference every day at Summa. The motto at Summa is that "if you aren't helping the patient, you are helping someone who is." It is important to find meaning in your work.
Busy, Fast-Paced Enviornment
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OHDecember 9, 2016
Busy, hectic, and sometimes impossible to get through the day, but co workers were life savers. Loved the people, disliked how things were managed at times, but decent company over all.
Excellent employer, feels like a family.
Certified Oncology Nurse (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 5, 2016
I started my nursing career at Summa Health as a student nurse tech and continued on to be a registered oncology nurse. I have never regretted my decision to join this hospital system. From assistance with on-going education to excellent management and benefits, Summa has been my home for my nursing career. The culture at Summa has always been positive and feels like a large extended family. It has been a pleasure to be a part of this fine organisation.
Pros
educational benefits
Think twice before applying
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 23, 2016
Management is aweful!!! They are so worried about trying to write you up for incredibly petty things you will wonder if your next day will be your last. There are a few great nurses and then there are others who you wonder how the heck did you get through school?! Pay is not competitive... worked there over 5 years and never hit the top of my pay scale as promised. They will find anyway to cheat you out of bonuses! Insurance stinks and is only getting worse come next year!
Pros
A few great nurses
Cons
Management, job security, compensation, insurance
Stressful working atmosphere
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 22, 2016
I enjoy working and I enjoy my job, however the management teams at Summa Health are not cooperative. By this I mean the ones I worked with were difficult in general (didn't get along well) and were a little wishy washy.

My co-workers were very friendly, but overall there is a large turnover of employees regularly.

Most enjoyable part of job was the actual job. I enjoy investigating problems and fixing them.

The hardest part of the job was to approach management if needed.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Policies seem old and not followed. Difficult to understand company policies
Terrible pay, lack of respectt
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Float poolNovember 15, 2016
It's great to get the experience you're looking for if you're going into a healthcare field, but there's so much frustration and so many headaches. Nobody seems to happy with their jobs, people don't take the time to learn your name and if you have a concern or a problem nothing gets taken care of pretty much. I was attacked by a patient and I notified the patients nurse, charge nurse and supervisor for the unit and none of the proper channels were taken to get me the help I needed.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Pay, lack of safety, not professional
Growing and changing department
Patient Access Liaison (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 12, 2016
With change comes growth but management skills do not change, micromanagement at its finest. Focuses on the wrong things. Lack of communication and organization skills.
Falling apart from the inside out
Staff nurse, labor and delivery (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 10, 2016
Low support of the employee; promised benefits have so many strings attached that they are unusable. Public motto may be "service excellence" of some kind, but practices and policies prevent good patient care. Caregivers want to care for their patients, and Summa actively prevents patient care.
Pros
The check clears every two weeks
Cons
Poor benefit package, minimal experience in staff, high turnover, not enough staff, pay well below market
Friendly workplace with great smiles
Application Analyst (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 9, 2016
Everyday employees walk in with great smiles and greet each other. Everyone was willing to help each other out. My first day was so welcoming. I didn't feel lost when I got there because my co-workers helped me out. The only hard time that I had was trying to understand what my co-workers were talking about during the team meetings.
Great Place to work
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 5, 2016
Advancement opportunities are great, pay is competitive, company culture is great, vacation/benefits package is good. Team environment people are friendly.
Great Place to work
Senior Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Former Employee) –  Wadsworth, OHNovember 4, 2016
I worked there for 12 years. Great community, Too bad the hospital turned into an outpatient and emergency room only facility. Coworkers and patients made the job.
A Family
EKG Technician (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 10, 2016
Summa Health is a company were people work as a team and build team values. Sometime it's like a second family to most of the staff. The Company is high on Education, and provides a lot of different opportunities for employees as well as benefits.
Pros
A Secure Job
Cons
i don't see any
Clean warehouse with medical supplies.
Logistics Team Member (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 7, 2016
The best part of my day is knowing that I am assisting in getting medical supplies to medical personnel so that people with different aliments will receive the proper care they need.
Not what it used to be
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 6, 2016
Summa used to be a good place to work. I actually was proud to say I work there. Now they take and take and expect more and more. We rarely get raises and the benefits we do have shrink every year. We are unappreciated we are expected to work short almost every day. They claim they are all for safety and patient care but all they really care about is money in their pockets. They are always threatening lay offs while they hire more and more upper management. Summa has really gone down hill. Moral is terrible. Patients are paying for it. Look elsewhere for work. Summa is not worth all the grief and stress.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Bad mangement, short staffed, no raises, terrible expensive benefits, pto taken away, no communication
a very enjoyable place to work
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 6, 2016
dr snd nurses work well with each other trying to get patients well nough to go home. each different support staff is willing to help assist the nurses with various different jobs to maintain a friendly and clean environment