Summa Health Employee Reviews

If you want to be a police officer, stay away
Armed Security II (Current Employee) –  System WideNovember 25, 2017
Police activity is frowned upon. The company would prefer that Officers were only police when it was convenient. Proactive policing is heavily discouraged, traffic enforcement is prohibited.

A typical shift is spent locking/unlocking doors, releasing bodies from the morgue, and checking in/out property for psych patients.

The patches also don't say police. They say "protective services/police". And if anyone were to ask Summa what you are, the answer will be "security".
Pros
Commissioned Peace Officer, Pay is average, Fellow Officers
Cons
No union, benefits are nonexistant
A great place to work but undergoing many changes as all health care institutions are doing.
CLINICAL INFORMATION ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 20, 2017
My co-worker and I abstracted STEMI and NSTEMI cases plus Cath/PCI cases which were submitted to the NCDR. This resulted in an Executive Summary which showed how well our institution performed on various metrics. The work was gratifying in that the outcomes were used to affect patient care protocols on a number of occasions. I learned quite a lot about cardiology plus my knowledge of IT programs greatly increased. Management was fine there. The institution is undergoing changes and unfortunately this results in staff reductions on an ongoing basis. The workplace culture is one of teamwork which I really like. My former co-worker and I worked very well together as well as did my former co-workers in the cath lab.
The hardest part of my Clinical Information Analyst job was the sheer volume of cases that needed to be abstracted and submitted. There were miscellaneous tasks that needed to be done prior to submission as well. The most enjoyable part of the job was presenting cases to our monthly physician meeting. I enjoy speaking in front of people.
Pros
Easy time off scheduling due to working with just one other person
Cons
job insecurity and instability at the institution overall
Professional work environment
CSPDT (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 12, 2017
Very nice ergonomics. Equipment is very well maintained and there is very good work flow.

A self-sustained support staff that has patience and helpful attitude.
Overall pleasent
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 8, 2017
Overall good place to work. Very restrictive environment. Nice atmosphere in general. A lot of quick management changes. Some positive some. Not very well executed.
Summa
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 8, 2017
Management was not up to par at this establishment. They showed no incentive to compensate for short staff. They had a hiring freeze due to money issues. They did not take care or take pride in their employees. I felt underappreciated for the amount of work put in.
Team Work
System Director of EVS and Support Services (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 4, 2017
Great place to work and use you skills. I enjoy working there because I was able to give ideals. The employees was a great team to work with. Everyone focus on providing a clean and safe environment
Hospital Security
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 26, 2017
Dealt with a diverse amount of visitors and patients including patients on the mental health ward. Supervisors were great and co workers were easy to get along with.
Pros
Co workers
Great work environment
Project Manager / Co-Investigator (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 25, 2017
Friendly staff with positive and supportive attitude
Location (Akron, OH) good for work and living
Shows appreciation for employees.
Positive collaboration among departments
More work to do then employees hired
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 23, 2017
I liked my job at Summa, I only left because I was working 50 + hours a week and was on salary. They have more work to do then employees able to do it.
A good place to work for many years.
Administrative Secretary, Radiology Administration (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 19, 2017
I worked at Summa for 25 years and was recently laid off (downsized) due to financial difficulties within the company that were precipitated by the former CEO. I thought this would be the company I would retire from after putting in 25 years, so it's been a difficult adjustment to being laid off and trying to find work that pays enough to support myself.

Want to know more about Summa Health?

Ask a question
RN Clinical Manager
RN CLINICAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 8, 2017
I manage over 25 staff members daily, including registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, and assistive personnel. I have learned the importance of accountability and transparency as well as the benefits to being a democratic leader. I enjoy managing my staff and find it rewarding to support the staff who are providing the direct patient care to our patients. The hardest part of the job is the lack of senior leadership within the agency and being unable to implement ideas and projects that would be beneficial to the agency because senior leadership does not support the ideas of the managerial staff.
fast paced environment
ER Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  akron ohioSeptember 19, 2017
my typical work day was answering phones and making calls for the doctors and nurses. I also filed and copied forms for the doctors to fill out regarding patients health complaints and history.
Pros
friendly co workers
Cons
not enough help
Fast pace
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 30, 2017
The majority of the people who work there are great and have a teamwork mentality. The floor I am on is generally understaffed which makes working as a team important because if not you will drown if your patient load or acuity is heavy.
Healthcare
Senior Accountant-Reimbursement (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 27, 2017
A typical day at work can be stressful with new management who are learning their new jobs. The director want to make the staff responsible /accountable for the lack of knowledge.

Director is insensitive to staff. Director has offended staff with comments that are inappropriate.

The best part of the job is what the company used to represent to the community. I enjoy the work that I perform however the management of the director makes it difficult to continue feeling this way.
Cons
New Director/supervisor
good place to work
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 19, 2017
They are very strict with policies. The staff and doctors are very nice and intelligent. I loved working with the kids. They are always expanding in locations
Pros
hour lunches
Cons
pay need to be higher
Summa
HRIS Analyst, Compensation and HR Systems (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 11, 2017
Good team environment within the department. Lots of opportunity to learn and support coworkers. Enjoyed all those in my department. Good benefits too.
Love working with patients
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 5, 2017
I always enjoy working with patients, doctors and staff. Unfortunately my position was one of 300 that were termination due to a reduction in force. It would not stop me from going back.
Pros
Loved my part time hours and included benefits!
Cons
Termination due to reduction in force
Interesting
Office Coordinator/Manager (Current Employee) –  Barberton, OHJuly 4, 2017
I have learned so much at Summa and from my manager.
The day to day shake up with in Summa at this time has put a freeze on all hiring.
I will never burn a bridge however I am looking to move on to a more stable institute.
I am Summa
RN Home Care Clinical Manager, Summa Health (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 30, 2017
I love working at Summa. I have grown up here - from a secretary to a nurse to a manager. This is where my heart is, and I am so grateful for the many positive ways that Summa has impacted my life.
Working with the staff in the emercency room makes it a great place.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 19, 2017
A day on the job is taking multiple phone calls. It is providing service to all staff members, but mainly to the physicians. The job is difficult when a death occurs and especially when the person is very young.
Pros
Working in a diverse setting.
Cons
Taking multiple incoming calls.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Summa Health. Our community is ready to answer.