SUMMIT Electric Supply Employee Reviews

Sliing downhill fast / Managers are angry control freaks
CSR (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXJune 13, 2017
If you enjoy being bullied, degraded, treated like a child, called stupid behind your back, and sometimes to your face, this is the perfect job for you. Management is either non-existent, absent, or just as bad as the two middle managers left to the controls.
Some branches seem to be happier, but this branch is miserable.
Most would run as fast as they could if not for the need to feed families. Those who work the hardest are rewarded the least. Those who watch tv and YouTube videos all day are rewarded like Queens and Kings.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Managers
Friendly people, but dysfunctional management
Director Level (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 17, 2017
1980's management style. Fear-based organization. Silos between functions. New, good people have been brought in to affect change, but they keep hitting brick walls.
A perfect place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clute, TXFebruary 21, 2017
Summit is a wonderful company to work for; they epitomize how a company should be run. The benefits were great and the management was even better. It felt like a family business.
Summit Electric supply
Head of Outbound sales division (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 5, 2017
Summit Electric Supply is a good place to work because of the people you will work with. Advancement is a long process that may take a year or 5 years to move up
Pros
Work vs Life outside is great
Cons
Advancement is log
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 30, 2016
Constant communication with Operations Manager, with regards to daily operations. Overseeing operations and productivity of associates. Completing shipping and receiving. Assist in training. I very much enjoyed this company. Great people!
Pros
Superior Management
Cons
Very short breaks
Upper Management does not wink at ignorance....
Delivery driver, Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 3, 2016
Beware of how you are being trained here. If you make a mistake and it was not your fault due to lack of training, upper management will not care if you were trained or not; if it results in a loss, you can be fired. A typical day revolves around delivery of electric supplies to commercial job sites, and though the job is easy, it can be tiresome and tedious. The people are friendly enough, and management is willing to accommodate any last minute needs in scheduling; the failure to train properly seems to be the most trouble they have. There are training courses provided online, but no buy in for anyone to be willing to take them. The pay is decent and the chance for OT is great. Management is willing to give glowing reviews/references for hard workers.
Pros
Free snacks, good pay, great weekday schedule.
Cons
no scheduled lunches (take it when you can), blame falls easily to last man on totem
Keep job searching.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 1, 2016
Hours longer than what you're contracted for, Management treat everyone like they are expendable, They keep employees in the dark regarding job security.
Pros
Free doughnuts on Fridays.
Cons
Too many to list
Good company to work for if you are in the right branch.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMJune 30, 2016
Work can be hard but rewarding. I learned a lot about the SAP system and how to load trucks and what good customer service is all about. The manager picks his favorites and that makes it hard on the rest of the crew. He also holds grudges so if you get on his bad side your days are numbered. The rest of the crew is wonderful and are very good people to work with. Loading and unloading the delivery trucks with pipe can be difficult. They have counter days once a month in the summer with free lunch for anyone that comes in and games with prizes. Those are always fun.
Pros
Good benifits, and mostly good people that work there.
Cons
Manager is not fair to all employees!, He picks favorites and that is the end of that. They become bullet proof!
Great place to work with lots of experienced personnel.
CSR (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 15, 2016
This was the first company I worked for with a mandatory training of 40 hours per year. The training for every department and for advanced training on your own skill level were available.
Pros
Management and knowledgable employees.
Cons
slow market
great commitment to customer service
Service Center Leader-Project Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXMay 4, 2016
Great commitment to customer service. Company tries to keep the small, family owned company feel. Good benefits package. Helps to be SAP literate before you start.
Best in the business
GEAR & PROJECT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 25, 2016
Summit Electric Supply is the best electrical distribution company located in the southwest. Family owned and run. They care for the associates and provide all the tools needed to grow their career.
Pros
Salary and training
Favortism
INSIDE SALES REP (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 30, 2015
Payscale is not equal management plays favorites. I do not have much more to say I am here looking for a new job not to reveiw the one I have.
Pros
Hours
Cons
pay is not equal some inside sales are paid the same as warehouse employees.
Company as a whole might be good BUT...
Distribution Associate (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMAugust 24, 2015
The company as a whole might sound good from the start but once I was hired and started to work, it seemed that everyday I noticed something wrong with the environment at the Farmington, NM branch. To put it plainly sure they are worried about customers and had excellent customer relations from what I witnessed, but when it came down to employee/co-worker/management relations, that's where things became severely disturbing. It seemed to me that most of the employees adopted an "every man for himself" philosophy. No real sense of we are a team mentality. There was school yard style talking and demeaning of each other in front of and behind each others backs. The manager of the branch himself was the biggest tool. Worried mostly about personal appearance and did not seem to know how to run a tight ship, instead, focusing on micro-managing. often taking myself and other employees away from our current tasks, usually stopping us from getting deliveries ready on time to go clean up some cardboard, or move stacks of pallets from one area to the other. As far as training goes, there was a SERIOUS lack of it. I got trained more by fellow co-workers who by law weren't qualified to train me, but again, due to management's lack of care or attentiveness I still did not get through my full training after the 3 month mark. Now the real reason I'm writing this review, I was injured. My advice is to AVOID INJURY AT ALL COSTS. But I was unfortunately injured running an outdated machine, that I don't believe could pass OSHA regulations, A machine for which I had very minimal training on, a machine  more... that has injured people in the past. I was on workman's comp and in physical therapy from March-August. I was fired before my PT even started because my manager said that the healing process was taking to long. I later found out that said manager had actually sat on my paperwork, not filing it or sending it off to the insurance company for almost a month, I was injured on February 19th, and the manager didn't even send my paperwork out until March 12th. Because of this the insurance company sided with me and I was awarded the money that by law I was owed, furthermore the insurance company started an investigation and later dropped the company for this reason. Summit Farmington branch is a terrible place to work because of one person, Kenneth King. His poor management and business ethics does nothing but hurt Summit as a whole which is sad because I worked with some awesome people who were left aside so several of Kenny's personal friends could advance past them. Bad business Kenneth King will get you nowhere,I hope your new insurance premiums aren't getting you into to much trouble.  less
Pros
Forklift experience.
Cons
Managment
Good company focused on taking care of their customers
Service Center Leder (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 27, 2015
Summit has a strong company culture that is focused on taking care of the customer. Through he Summit Way they ensure they provide a positive customer experience. They do a great job training employees and they are good about promoting from with in.
Pros
Good training, strong customer services, Chance for advancement
Cons
cost of medical insurance, not a lot of preformance reviews or constuctive feedback
Great co-workers and management
Counter Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 27, 2015
Summit Electric Supply has a good business model for its customers and employees. You will learn the ins and outs of the electrical distribution industry and the requirements each customer from the DIY guy to the major contractors.
Decent company
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 1, 2015
Not a bad place to work. Some of the corporate guys are extremely up tight and unrelatable. Decent pay, okay benefits (no standard 401k match is my only complaint). Alot of learning opportunities available, and advancement can be achieved if you put in the work. CSR position can get extremely busy and slightly stressful, but usually only when the office is short handed (depends on what location you're at).
Summit rewards those who work hard.
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Bryan, TxOctober 10, 2014
Summit is a great place to work. If you work hard it gets noticed. The management is involved with the day to day operations, but they do not micromanage and get in the way. They train you well and if there is a question you can ask anyone and they will help you.
Pros
Rewarded for the effort you put in.
Busy and stable work environment
Cash Applications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, nmOctober 7, 2014
Very busy gained accounting knowledge.
Took on all responsibility of cash apps roll with little supervision.
Met amazing people I will continue to keep in contact with.
Proactive employer and management
SAP Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 4, 2014
Always ahead of the curve, making sure employees work in a perfect and conducive environment
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Too employee focused
Stay away from corporate!
Corporate (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 27, 2014
Executive corporate leadership needs a lot of help on how to stay with the times and be compliant with federal HR laws and guidelines, especially Title IX. You're better off working for the branches where the teams are like families and you have a chance of getting ahead.
Pros
Privately held, decent benefits
Cons
no corporate vision, bad leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SUMMIT Electric Supply. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8