Summit Oaks Hospital Employee Reviews

Horrible
Dietary Aide (Food Service Worker) (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJApril 28, 2017
This place is horrible the pay isn't worth it because of all the work you do. Coworkers are good but the management is ridiculous. They don't give raises
Pros
Free coffee and juice
Cons
Too many to name
Overall, a fine place to work
Non-Direct Care (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJApril 10, 2017
This facility is a fine place to work for someone who has a sincere interest in improving the condition of people with behavioral health and/or addictions issues.

Most of my co-workers are personable, supportive,. and competent. Working with them is a pleasure. Fair pay, and benefits options are good. The learning experience, especially for those new to the field, is tremendous.

While the pace, at times, can be challenging it is manageable.
Pros
Terrific co-workers, variety, great learning experience, fair pay and good choice of benefits
Cons
Can be challenging at times
Terrible place to work, will drain you and suck the life out of you
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJApril 10, 2017
Unreal staffing ratios, no EMR, no pyxis, no division of involuntary and voluntary patients, . one security guard for the whole hospital. i think the only nurses that stay are nurses who do not have a BSN and cannot get a job at any other hospital.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Everything i just mentioned.
Great Job
Organized/ lead (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJAugust 25, 2016
Great work environment
Co-workers very helpful
Mangers are welcoming
Deal with all type of people
Be very patient, caring
Summit Oaks Hospital
Mental Health Clinician (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJAugust 1, 2016
A typical day of work consisted of seeing clients and helping with implementation of treatment plans. I have learned a variety of clinical aspects due to the population at hand. My co-workers were great at being a collective team and would help in any ay they could when needed. The hardest part of the job was trying to talk someone out of ending their life and convincing them that life is worth living. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I made an impact in someone else's life.
Worst place to work, even for a foot in the door
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJJuly 19, 2016
over worked. underpaid. no work ethic. plays favorites. does not run legal limits and somehow gets away with it. illegal activities happen. unpaid and work through breaks. units are not a team.
Pros
Horrible, unsafe facility to work at. New Grads, run!!
Per Diem RN (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJApril 20, 2016
I have worked at Psychiatric facilities before and this by far is the worst one. They have a serious staffing issue and this is related to the extremely high turn over ratio. There are no assistants on the night shift so if there is an emergency good luck. The management here is poor, and this facility is very disorganized. The permanent staff complain, as a matter of fact on my first night the charge nurse told me how horrible it was to work here. Additionally, l was assigned to be a mental health assistant even though I was a registered nurse on my first night as well.
I did not do any registered nurse work whatsoever. Being that I was per diem I only got one day of orientation and it was not on the unit. They are not computerized so all the charting is by hand and if you are not full-time staff you pretty much just have to figure things out. Save yourself the time and energy.
Pros
Supportive Nursing staff
Cons
No staff, poor management, disorganized
A positive place to work.
Mental Health Assistant/Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJDecember 31, 2015
A very nice place to work, good co-workers, good supervisors , though work may be tough some times but having good people around you makes less stressful, talking to patients when they are down makes it worthwhile.
Pros
great people.
Cons
short breaks
enjoy working there
Per Diem RN (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJSeptember 28, 2015
under staffed but i find it more manageable than my peers. enjoy spending time with patients. would like if they'd consider 12 hour shifts
Pros
competative salary
Cons
management a little out of touch with staff, food service needs variety for patients
Good place
LCSW/LCADC (Current Employee) –  Summit NJSeptember 22, 2015
good place, nice staff, clean facility, paper charts some computer work. can sometimes be a bit overwhelming non stop through out the day. need to learn to balance time management
My experience
Per diem social (Current Employee) –  summit, new jerseyAugust 19, 2015
I been involved with Summit Oaks since September. I really like it there. I do a variety of things like meeting with patients and doing assessments, facilitating group therapy, and communicate with families. My co workers are great, we get along well. The hardest part is because we are acute care we don't always have time to provide the best help to the patients.
Mental Health Associate
Utilization Review Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJMarch 20, 2014
Working on the units with the patients and assisting in their ADLs.
Stressful work environment
Registered Nurse / Psychiatric Nurse (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJMarch 12, 2014
A typical day consists of medicating and monitoring patients, doing admission assessments, discharging, and transferring patients to other units. I learned how to multitask, how to lead a nursing group, and how to deescalate patients. The management does not seem to care that the facility is chronically short staffed. My co-workers are wonderful and work as team members. The hardest part of the job is having to work in crisis mode where 2 nurses are responsible for 26 patients and are getting bombarded with new admissions coming in. There is no unit secretary and the nurses have an excessive amount of paper work to do. There is only one security person for the entire facility. The most enjoyable part of the job is when patients thank me for helping them.
Pros
Co-workers help each other
Cons
Employees feel they are working in an unsafe environment
Fast paced, multi-tasking skill needed.
Charge/Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJMarch 12, 2014
Busy, dynamic, and always improving skills, as you work on each unit. Ability to mulitask is essential ,with good organization, and time management skills necessary. Co workers are basically dedicated and caring, and management are down to earth, and approachable. The hardest part of the work is: the amount of paperwork (no computerization, or EMR) all documentation is hand written. Best part? Getting done and leaving on time. Health care is not ever called "easy or fun" but it has its' rewards when done well, and you then see the good results reflected in reviews and patient surveys.
Pros
Friendly staff, free coffee, meals available, clean atmosphere
Cons
Busy, fast paced, not getting paperwork completed by end of shift
Management needed treatment just as much as the patients
assessment counselor (Former Employee) –  NjNovember 13, 2013
Worst department to work in is assessment and referral. Staff is pinned against each other and management will never back it's employees.
Pros
??
Cons
management has favorites
Great learning experience
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJNovember 6, 2013
Not a place I would like to go back to though I did learn a lot about all different kinds of patients and sicknesses
worst facility I have ever worked at !
registered nurse (Current Employee) –  Summit,NJAugust 15, 2013
90% of fellow nurses very unhappy with incompetent supervisors expecting unrealistic work load. Directly impacts patients level of care which is poor.Unfair to nurses who do hold standards in regards to optimal patient care and respect.( Bill of Rights) . No time available to actually talk with patients,educate or offer emotional support.No preceptors for new nursing staff.Patients complain of not being offered treatment and rights as stated upon admission. Older units dirty and in much need for repair.Not enough activities offered to patients on the weekends. Everyone disappears except for the NURSES !!..Shocked at the impersonal,lack of knowledge of hands on nursing C.N.O.presented. These are LIVE patients,not textbook doubles. Unfortunately most enjoyable part of job is leaving. Looking for new job.
Pros
could find none
Cons
every thing
tedious environment to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJMay 6, 2013
a company experience good for a starter ready to struggle in the field of nursing
Most healthcare facilities are experiencing the same cutbacks, and "working more with less" for nurses.
Registered nurse (Current Employee) –  Dual DiagnosisMarch 23, 2013
Summit Oaks is a face-paced alcohol, drug and mental health facility that operates without computer technology. The old-fashioned way of passing medications, charting, admitting, and documentation is in effect. This makes everything, nurses, and all other disciplines do, take longer, with more chance for error, as we try to get the paperwork completed. The facility can use upgrades, and more house-keeping after hours, especially for admissions that are most concentrated on evening shift. A typical day at work is fast-paced, and rarely is all paperwork work completed by the end of shift. Co-workers are better than past experiences I've had, as far as treating each other, for the most part, with respect, and being a team-player. Administration, and management are caring, and are approachable.
In healthcare many facilities are experiencing cut-backs, down-sizing, and higher acuity, with less inpatient stays, yet nurse's are still trying to provide "excellent patient care" in a healthcare environment that is cutting back on literally everything. I believe you have to decide what matters most at work, when choosing your place of employment. The staff work together, because there is plenty to do, the old-fashioned way. Summit Oaks doesn't have computer technology, and I miss that, it's important for the future of nursing, and decreasing the time nurse's spend away from patient care.
The hardest part of the job is, the never-ending flow of paperwork to complete on a daily basis. The most enjoyable aspects are, the staff, and many of the patients, who are motivated toward recovery,
  more... and grateful for the care they received. I have experienced that, and it keeps me coming back. We can choose to dwell on the positive, or negative aspects of any job we take. Summit Oaks is what you make it.  less
Pros
free coffee, meals are available at reasonable prices, 401k with matching, dedicated staff.
Cons
staffing ratios based on census, non-computerized documentation, admissions, medication administration, duplication of paperwork.
stressful and under staff
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJDecember 11, 2012
The working environment used to be great but now it's not. It is stressful and under staff. Nice co-workers which we get along very well. I learned to do my best, be myself and help those who are in need. The hardest part of the job is under staffing and the most enjoyable part of the job is working as a team and at the end of the I know that I have help somebody who was in need.
Pros
nothing important
Cons
short break, cancellations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Summit Oaks Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9