Summit Polymers, Inc. Employee Reviews

Paint department
Paint Department Associate (Current Employee) –  Portage, MIJuly 30, 2016
Easy job.great pay.everyone is very friendly.f flexible hours.i love this job.im so glad I put in my application .my most enjoyable part of the job is not having a boss standing over you all the time.
Pros
Paid lunch, good pay
Cons
No lunch
Very hot but productive
Asembler (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MIAugust 13, 2016
it was a very fast paced job, fastest production line I have ever experienced. The hardest part was keeping up. It was very hot. if you don't get the job. they'll MAKE you!
Pros
nice pay.
Cons
Late hours, very hot
Repetative work
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Vicksburg, MIJuly 31, 2016
The hardest part of this job is finding what jobs youre good at and picking up the speed required to make rate. As many places ive worked I'm not so impressed with the management.
Work experience
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MIJuly 29, 2016
Its a good and safe place to work. I just wish it was full time. I learned how to deal with people even though they might like you and agree with each other.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad attendence policy
The hardest part of the job
Production Operator/Associate (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYAugust 3, 2016
The hardest part of the job was making sure that we made enough parts to make production especially when the machines would break down.
A good company...
Manufacturing Technical Leader (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIMarch 24, 2013
Compensation and benefits were a bit weak. Some rather quirky approaches to routine activities (e.g. - everyone was responsible for emptying their own trash at the end of the week where it was stacked at several collection points for weekend removal, which made things rather messy). They also had some odd travel policies to deal with.

Management was pretty good, overall. Some weak links, but fair and supportive for the most part.

The people were beyond great. There seemed to be a singular focus to succeed, with little to no political nonsense to deal with. Most everyone just wanted to do a good job and supported one another in this shared vision.

I did not find my responsibilities to be particularly satisfying and did not have opportunity to move around, which eventually led me to leaving the organization.
Pros
people, few politics, shared vision, job security
Cons
travel policies, housekeeping, pay and benefits
Great job
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MIJuly 29, 2016
Summit was a great job only left due to new job paying more money. The people were very helpful while I learned the job. Easy job but quick pace.
there is money that can be made here
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Portage, MIJune 5, 2016
Job isn't bad at all. There is some money to be made here if you wanted to make a long time thing out of it. Most of the people are really cool. Management is not great that is one drawback.
Pros
money
Work style
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYJuly 21, 2016
The job wasn't too difficult, most of the problems were production not doing their own job the right way.
Productive Workplace; Surrounded by good people
Engineering Specialist - Paint (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 30, 2016
Great people who make it a fun environment to work in.
Great opportunity for advancement.
Always something new to get experience in.
Pros
Fair and Competative Compentsation
Running alot of machines
Molding Operator (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MIMay 11, 2016
Running more than one machine was very challenging but not too bad.Making sure parts are good and ready to pack was the main goal.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
Running more than one machine
hours vary, poor management and no accountability.
Molding utility (Current Employee) –  Portage, MIMarch 27, 2015
they can force you to work overtime for one day and the next day make you leave early so you don't get the overtime pay. supervisors play favorites in the work is not shared.management does not address problems only shrugs you off. you are laid off multiple times a year, or forced to take a lesser job when work is slow.and you will be treated as if you were in prison, always on camera with strict policies about Break times and cell phone usage.also it is very hot in the summer but pay and benefits are decent.
Pros
they give you a check
Cons
working at summit
Paint booths
Assembly Operator/ Hand Painter (Current Employee) –  Vicksburg, MIMarch 23, 2016
I work on the paint booths for an 8 hour day. My coworkers are great, and there are four different booths that we get rotated between each other.
Car Parts factory
Paint booth operator (Current Employee) –  Portage, MIFebruary 16, 2016
Its A good place to work despite certain situations and people. I feel like I am walking on egg shells at this company due to my supervisor writing me up under false allegations
Pros
good pay
Cons
crooked supervisor
Productive, well-compensated industrial work
Press Operator, Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MISeptember 7, 2012
Organized scheduling and repetitive tasks, day to day. Learned much through training in classroom and OTJ training programs. Difficulties included identifying defects (some minute) while operating several other machines running different parts. Running LEAN manufacturing processes involving color change, tool change, and quantity/quality controls procedures. Trackable data allowed workers to judge the quality of their own work.
Negatively, the coworker dating scene within the company was a major distraction at times. Managers dating workers, workers dating workers, and the independence offered employees is allowed to the boundaries, without a doubt.
Pros
benefits, pay, scheduling, advancement/lateral movement
Cons
isolation, loud noises, department relationships
Overall, not a bad place to work.
Painter (Current Employee) –  Vicksburg, MIFebruary 16, 2016
A lot of my coworkers complain, but you get that anywhere you work. For the most part, I think Summit is a good place to work.
Pros
they work with you
Cons
gossip
Lack of leadership
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYNovember 12, 2015
worked for a long time there. Work ethics wasn't as bad but overtime Worked way to many hours to were i worked over close to 80 hrs per week. Although i understand the situation of meeting acquirement. I Felt as though they needed to work on a program to a point people work 40 hrs per week and meeting quota or adding a weekend crew.
Pros
money
Cons
Work alot
Very productive clean place to work
Machine operator (Current Employee) –  Portage, MichiganJuly 23, 2015
Plant one is one of if not the cleanest places I've ever worked.
co workers are very helpful and the pace is laid back as long as you can hold your rate .
management is helpful if a situation arises. And they pay well if you're a direct hire.
overall i would recommend this place to any of my friends.
Some people may disagree but they do value their employees at summit .
Pros
Helpful coworkers
Cons
Short break and lunch
No family life
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYSeptember 23, 2015
Management stays on phones playing video games, cant get anything fixed, buddies first, and when you have a question it's figure out on your own. It when from lets get it fixed to get over it.
Pros
company does nothing for employees
Cons
low moral
Left unhappy
Toolmaker (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYFebruary 26, 2014
Started out as a good experience but about a year into it everything changed. Plant politics loomed large and those who had enough time in are easily ably to take advantage and do. I lost most if not all of the respect I had for the upper management.
Pros
good pay and benifits
Cons
too many clueless people calling shots