Summit Polymers, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 17, 2017
I love working for Summit Im Just ready for a career change. I have a newborn baby and I need a more flexible schedule to accommodate my children. But overall its a great place to work and I would recommend it to anyone.
Decent entry level position
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIOctober 25, 2017
A place you can start at but you do not want to spend the rest of your life working there. I enjoyed beginning my career with them but I wanted more out of my skills.
A great job with great people.
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Mt. Sterling, KYOctober 23, 2017
I loved my time.i had at summit the people.was.great and the management was incredible. Great hours andl great money with benfits..I can only speak good of.the time.i spent here.
I loved it there
Stocker/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 16, 2017
It's very competitive fast paced good pay and good judge of character love the people I worked around my boss was amazing very understanding and works as a team to meet deadlines
Faast paced environment
Production associate (Former Employee) –  Centerville, M.I.September 22, 2017
The facility is very structured, management set an individuals job description based on intake exam score. their is room for advancement but one must take the exam again if th scores did not match the qualifications upon hire.
Pros
Managment is very envolved in daily production
Cons
Long hours in a hot/ cold shop, based on weather conditions
Great place
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYSeptember 22, 2017
Fast paced working environment with descent pay and pretty good management as with most factories they could work on the family life vs work balance but overall I would definitely work here again
Pros
Competitive pay
Cons
Time off
Good steady Job
Manufacturing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYSeptember 15, 2017
Summit was a well organized company that taught me different ways to manage my team. Practice my kaizen skills. The company is a good company and would recommend anyone to them.
Pros
most weekends off
Cons
N/a
Very Stressful place to work, no time for any kid of fun, lucky to have a break every night
Plastic injection mold technician (Current Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYAugust 31, 2017
A typical day is very busy, management is down your throat wanting things done a certain way, quickly with no excuses, even valid excuses for a press to temporarily be down. I learned to work as hard as I possibly can and some because if not management will go off on you. I learned to block out all the negativity from the upper management and to just do my job or else it there attitude will just eat at you all night.
Pros
good pay
Cons
short breaks, cut-throat mangement
Friendly work enviroment
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIAugust 22, 2017
Work was fast paced,long standing periods,friendly. My manager was fair and hardworking.The hardest part of the job was making quota.The most enjoyable part was the overtime.
Pros
overtime
Cons
fast paced
Good Work Life Balance
Program Manager - Primary Customer Interface (Current Employee) –  Portage, MIAugust 14, 2017
Summit has reasonable expectations of its employees. They have an excellent reputation with their customers as a result of good business processes. This makes Summit a great place to work.
We build the counsels for Ford motor. Also they have the wellness program and get together for activities such as volleyball, basketball and softball.
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Vicksburg, MIJuly 16, 2017
It is a very good company to work for they are always willing to work with you in a case of an emergency etc. I would definitely remain there if I hadn't move.
Pros
Very good health care and vacation time.
Cons
Short breaks and after 5 yrs you get no more raises except the cost of living
Don't get sick
Associate (Current Employee) –  Vicksburg, MIJuly 16, 2017
Summit works on an occurrence system and does not accept doctor's notes unless it allows you out of work for three days or more. Accrue six occurrences and you're fired. Each absence equals one occurance.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Short breaks, occurrence system
fun place to work but managment was really bad
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIJuly 12, 2017
I enjoyed the work and my co workers. My biggest complaint is the man dated over time. I was to be clocked out at 2:30 but was made to stay until after there meeting at the same time. After there meeting is when they would tell us we had to stay late. Issues with that is people have a life outside of work and couldn't always stay. If you couldn't or didn't stay you got a point. Feel it was unfair and was allowed my law. Mandated over time has to be informed ahead of time.
Pros
money hour and friends
Good balance of pros and cons
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MIJuly 12, 2017
Good management, good co-workers and work environment. Pay is not great and, for office employees, there's not a lot of room for advancement. Benefits were OK. Management culture was positive and respectful, and some training opportunities were offered. Job security for office employees was not great, because the company's fortunes are tied closely to automotive industry's ups and downs, but on the factory floor, turnover was high enough that permanent layoffs were never necessary.
Excelent benifits,and good fast pace work
Final Finish (Former Employee) –  Sturgis, MIJuly 2, 2017
The work and benifits were great, however management not so much..as much as i wanted to try diffrent jobs they would never give me a chance im done..
Pros
Breaks were ok
Cons
Supervisor favors only people that keep them inform on everything.
Good workplace if you have no other options
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIJune 28, 2017
It was hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that my supervisor, as well as a majority of the employees, was a convicted felon and I now had to be his subordinate. Summit Polymers offers a job to anyone, and I mean anyone, who walks in the door that has a pulse and can breathe. The most difficult part of working at Summit is simply dealing with other employees. So long as a you can get past the mundane eight to ten hours of standing in the same place working on a press then you will have no issues keeping a job.
Pros
Full benefits, Vacation time, and Paid personal time.
Cons
Short breaks(depending on your position), Management is sub-par.
Fun place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIJune 16, 2017
Loved working on the paint line learning new things...it was fast paced and learned to inspect product and get it ready to be shipped out. I love the IT offered when it wasn't mandatory.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
7 days a week mandatory
Great company.
Paint Technician (Current Employee) –  Vicksburg, MIJune 7, 2017
Good company overall. I started as a operator. And moved my way up. Summit tends to promote from within the company which is a plus. Starting pay is good. Management is professional and knows what they are doing. Overall my experience was good. With very few downsides.
Pros
Good pay for the work. Room to move up. Managment is nice
Cons
People. 10 min breaks that feel like 5. And no ac in rhe summer.
Exciting new plant to bad it closed
Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, TNJune 1, 2017
Lots of room for advancement. Culture was good. The people there were great loved my co-workers. I learned so many new things about manufacturing at this facility overall a good experience.
Pros
close to home
Cons
Automotive industy is pretty stressful
I was able to contribute to a quality product
Contract Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIMay 24, 2017
I oversaw new tooling builds for automotive interior components such as air vents and bezels.
This job required both domestic and international interface with injection mold builders, and resulted in being able to spent time in China.