Summit Polymers, Inc.

Summit Polymers, Inc. Employer Reviews

Enjoyable experience
Manufacturing Supervisor (Current Employee), Portage, MIJuly 19, 2013
I enjoy Summit as a whole. There are very strong individuals who work well in a team environment. There are more with their own agenda. We struggle to utilize peoples strengths and have a lack of ownership in departmental problems. In my years with Summit I have learned a lot more about the ways to perform at a high level and ways that cause teams to struggle.
Interesting everyday
Quality Control (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 10, 2013
Pros: the employees
Cons: could pay more
The company overall is a good place to work at, however i do believe that they could pay more.
Great learning experience
Molding Technician (Former Employee), Portage, MIJune 19, 2013
I liked working here, great enviroment and great people. Great learning experience working with the presses, quality inspections.
Was a really good place to work years ago
Accounting Coordinator (Former Employee), Mount Sterling, KYJune 17, 2013
Pros: insurance and job security
Cons: located in kentucky
I worked my way up from a press operator to an accounting coordinator and I really enjoyed the Accounts Payable/ Production Accounting position.
Fast paced, high rate production work
Operator (Former Employee), Elizabethtown, KYApril 11, 2013
Pros: getting done and clocking out
Cons: the above-mentioned ideas of management, the stress and frustration, getting wrote up and fired because of human imperfection in dealing with all the aforementioned mess
Fast paced, high rate production work, which contributes to quality issues for both the Molding and Finishing departments. Management is sometimes short-sighted, plays "blind man's bluff", implementing ideas which look good on paper or a projection screen in meetings but doesn't seem to work out often enough in achieving production efficiency or desired quality at the plant floor level. Some are "educated idiots". Sadly, people in the various area of management have little or no idea what it is like actually doing the work on the plant floor, otherwise, they would/could implement better ideas that would help the company better achieve its desired goals of quality for its customers. Most of my co-workers were good folk to work with, though.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with the above-mentioned kind of ideas from management and still make production sometimes, along with the frustration and stress of making production numbers of desired quality parts for customers.

Most enjoyable part of the job was. . .finishing and cleaning up at the end of the shift, along with the occasional good idea that actually helped us now and then.
A good company...
Manufacturing Technical Leader (Former Employee), Portage, MIMarch 24, 2013
Pros: people, few politics, shared vision, job security
Cons: travel policies, housekeeping, pay and benefits
Compensation and benefits were a bit weak. Some rather quirky approaches to routine activities (e.g. - everyone was responsible for emptying their own trash at the end of the week where it was stacked at several collection points for weekend removal, which made things rather messy). They also had some odd travel policies to deal with.

Management was pretty good, overall. Some weak links, but fair and supportive for the most part.

The people were beyond great. There seemed to be a singular focus to succeed, with little to no political nonsense to deal with. Most everyone just wanted to do a good job and supported one another in this shared vision.

I did not find my responsibilities to be particularly satisfying and did not have opportunity to move around, which eventually led me to leaving the organization.
Good friends
Press Machine Operator (Former Employee), Shelbyville, TNMarch 4, 2013
Pros: good insurance, pay
Cons: hot, concert floors
Co-workers were there for you. Learned about plactic press machines and how they worked.
Prefers quanity over quality
Assembly Line Operator (Former Employee), Elizabethtown, KYFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: paid holidays
Cons: short breaks
Summit Polymers Inc. is a typical factory in many ways and very differnt in others. They don't seem to give much thought to the quality of any product they ship. At any given time any and all product is eligible to pass an inspection if the need should arise, giving way only in an extreme situation. Th emost difficult part of the job would be the contradictory the spew on about regarding the quality of parts. How one day a part with a defect is considered bad but the next day it would be good if they need the numbers. Fixtures and presses are constantly going down, with maintanence and molding operators spread far to thin. The more enjoyable aspect would be fellow co-workers. For the most part the are friendly hard working indivduals who ease the tension of a stressful day.
Wasn't a good experience
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Portage, MIFebruary 21, 2013
I had trouble with understanding what was acceptable parts. Co-workers were impatient and rude.
A growing automotive company.
Material Handler (Current Employee), Sturgis, MIFebruary 16, 2013
I liked my job. I was just ready for a career change. I have been there for 13 years, and ready to start my new career in the medical field.
well organized
Purchasing Coordinator (Former Employee), Elizabethtown, KYJanuary 15, 2013
overall not a bad place to work, pay should be higher for what is expected but overall a well organized person shouldn't have too much difficulty keeping up with the work load
fun place to work
Die Setter (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: good learning experierance
Cons: short breaks
learned alot started as an operator then moved to utility (someone that reliefs operator for breaks and lunch) then learned how to change die molds
Productive, well-compensated industrial work
Press Operator, Team Leader (Former Employee), Vicksburg, MISeptember 7, 2012
Pros: benefits, pay, scheduling, advancement/lateral movement
Cons: isolation, loud noises, department relationships
Organized scheduling and repetitive tasks, day to day. Learned much through training in classroom and OTJ training programs. Difficulties included identifying defects (some minute) while operating several other machines running different parts. Running LEAN manufacturing processes involving color change, tool change, and quantity/quality controls procedures. Trackable data allowed workers to judge the quality of their own work.
Negatively, the coworker dating scene within the company was a major distraction at times. Managers dating workers, workers dating workers, and the independence offered employees is allowed to the boundaries, without a doubt.
Summit Polymers is an automotive supplier.
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee), Portage, MIJune 22, 2012
While at Summit Polymers I was able to devlepe my self into an manufactuing engineer specializing in injection molding. I was also able to work as a Quality Engineer and a Decorating specialist before I left the company.
Productive workplace
Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 13, 2012
Everyone seems geared towards a common goal. Managers and hourly workers get along without issues
good place to work
operater (Former Employee), Elizabethtown, KYMay 2, 2012
productive and fun place to work just long hours working 12hrs 7 days a week got old i believe that is why i am not there, very friendly atmosphere to work in.
Daily enjoy coming to work
Materials Manager (Current Employee), Sturgis, MIMay 2, 2012
Summit is a great place to work. The culture of people and business I have worked with is positive and upbeat. We made it through the automotive decline in tact, and are now bouncing back strong.
Great place to work for a 1st full time job
Production Worker (Former Employee), Vicksburg, MIMarch 30, 2012
Pros: full-time, 3 shifts to choose from, great people
Cons: work was somewhat boring.
The work isn't hard and they hired full-time right away. The pay was competitive for the time. It was a great experience to get the steady paycheck at my first official full-time job. No benefits at the time even though I am sure that has changed since then.
nice job
Assembly/Machine Operator (Former Employee), Portage, MIMarch 28, 2012
good place for employment I just loved some of the supervisiors, cool to work with ! !
Good Job
Packaging utility (Former Employee), Columbia, MissouriFebruary 14, 2012
Pros: many
Flexible schedule, great work enviroment, good training so that when you start you know exactly what you are doing. Competitive wages. Fair company policies, employees treated well. Good enviroment-as long as work is done and customers are satisfied