Summit Polymers, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work for a 1st full time job
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MIMarch 30, 2012
The work isn't hard and they hired full-time right away. The pay was competitive for the time. It was a great experience to get the steady paycheck at my first official full-time job. No benefits at the time even though I am sure that has changed since then.
Pros
full-time, 3 shifts to choose from, great people
Cons
work was somewhat boring.
Machine Operator
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 14, 2015
Plan and assign work tasks in order to meet production goals efficiently.
Set up machinery and assembly stations.
Make different car parts using an operated machine.
Check for defects and pack parts
Premier Products
Factory work
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Sturgis, MINovember 26, 2013
I worked first shift at Summit. Management made sure I knew exactly what I was doing before I started doing a task.It was simple assembly work and boxing and making shipping labels. People were friendly and worked well with others.
Pros
lunch hour, pay, benefits
Successful company with much room for growth.
MACHINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MIApril 1, 2014
Rapidly growing company with a strong future ahead. Privately owned, no union. Friendly employees both on the floor and in the office. Pay is competitive and benefits meet most criteria.
Sucked
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 20, 2014
Will work you to the bone and pay you decent but should pay more for your labor! Management has terrible attitudes like there head of the company.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
everything but decent benefits
very productive and respectable place of employment
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MIJuly 29, 2014
Summit is a very safe place to work. they carry a great reputation for employer to employee communication and interact well
Pros
pay and benefits are great
Cons
mandatory weekends sometimes
Love the people I work with
Materials Coordinator (Current Employee) –  MISeptember 3, 2013
Good, secure place to work. The opportunity for advancement is lacking though. Great benefits and co-workers.
Productive and fun workplace
Forklift Operator/Production Tech/Booth Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, TNMay 7, 2015
A typical day at work was exciting. I learned how to drive a forklift. Management was very supportive. My coworkers were friendly and helpful. There were no hard parts for this job. The most enjoyable part of the job was making new friends.
Fast paced
Molding Utility (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIMay 11, 2015
Empty totes, keep 7-9 presses running.
How to perform necessary tasks.
Management was friendly, but strict.
Co-workers were busy.
Hardest part was to keep up with all the presses.
Most enjoyable part was shift went by quickly.
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
had to cover for many call-ins.
A growing company
Machine Operator in Plastic Molding Injection (Former Employee) –  portage,miApril 20, 2015
Overall I enjoyed working for the company. In the last year I have seen a huge turn over in the work enviroment. In my position I did plastic injection molding. It is the kind of job that you perform the same task everyday. This position was a one on one job so there was limited interaction with other employees. This job required speed, detail oriented, quality inspection, and problem solving.
Pros
Reasonable pay
Cons
Short breaks, alot of lay offs
benefits great lots of work little life
Assembly Line Worker / Molding Utility (Former Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYMay 14, 2015
I was getting 68 hrs week in beginning then hrs dropped drastically. Some of the supervisors are extremely hateful. Others are absolutely wonderful.
Pros
good start pay and friendly environment
Cons
some supervisors are really hateful
Great starter company
Human Resource Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Portage, MIJuly 22, 2014
This is a great starter company. It is privately owned/operated. The opportunities for advancement for engineering positions are great. Opportunities for HR advancement are not great.
Pros
minimal gossip
Cons
culture not really inviting
Fast paced, high rate production work
Operator (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYApril 11, 2013
Fast paced, high rate production work, which contributes to quality issues for both the Molding and Finishing departments. Management is sometimes short-sighted, plays "blind man's bluff", implementing ideas which look good on paper or a projection screen in meetings but doesn't seem to work out often enough in achieving production efficiency or desired quality at the plant floor level. Some are "educated idiots". Sadly, people in the various area of management have little or no idea what it is like actually doing the work on the plant floor, otherwise, they would/could implement better ideas that would help the company better achieve its desired goals of quality for its customers. Most of my co-workers were good folk to work with, though.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with the above-mentioned kind of ideas from management and still make production sometimes, along with the frustration and stress of making production numbers of desired quality parts for customers.

Most enjoyable part of the job was. . .finishing and cleaning up at the end of the shift, along with the occasional good idea that actually helped us now and then.
Pros
getting done and clocking out
Cons
the above-mentioned ideas of management, the stress and frustration, getting wrote up and fired because of human imperfection in dealing with all the aforementioned mess
Prefers quanity over quality
Assembly Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYFebruary 26, 2013
Summit Polymers Inc. is a typical factory in many ways and very differnt in others. They don't seem to give much thought to the quality of any product they ship. At any given time any and all product is eligible to pass an inspection if the need should arise, giving way only in an extreme situation. Th emost difficult part of the job would be the contradictory the spew on about regarding the quality of parts. How one day a part with a defect is considered bad but the next day it would be good if they need the numbers. Fixtures and presses are constantly going down, with maintanence and molding operators spread far to thin. The more enjoyable aspect would be fellow co-workers. For the most part the are friendly hard working indivduals who ease the tension of a stressful day.
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
short breaks
Quality Control Inspector
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYMarch 29, 2014
I get paid well for the work I do. All of the employees are extremely pleasant, management is wonderful, I have not had a bad experience, but factory work is not for me. The hardest part of the job is the job itself. It is very labor intensive. At the end of the night, my entire body hurts.
Pros
great pay, very friendly staff, lunches and breaks always on time.
Cons
labor intensive, no talking, no air conditioning
good place to work
operater (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYMay 2, 2012
productive and fun place to work just long hours working 12hrs 7 days a week got old i believe that is why i am not there, very friendly atmosphere to work in.
Co-workers
Molding Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYOctober 7, 2013
Every employee that works out on the floor is the best thing about this company! The upper management really needs to work on getting out on the floor and really finding out what happens and getting some hands on experience.
Pros
the employees out on the floor.
Cons
upper management not having a back bone.
its a fun work place with good manegment
Mold Operator (Current Employee) –  Portage, MISeptember 25, 2013
a typical work day is fun but we make sure to get our work done on time at the right time co-worker and management are fun to be around
Pros
good managment
Cons
short brackes
Not bad for a factory
Forklift Operator Manufacturing utility (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MINovember 17, 2014
One of the cleanest factories I have ever worked at. Hardest part of the job was dealing with many different dept. heads all with different personalities
Pros
discounts at meijers
Cons
short or no breks
Was a really good place to work years ago
Accounting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYJune 17, 2013
I worked my way up from a press operator to an accounting coordinator and I really enjoyed the Accounts Payable/ Production Accounting position.
Pros
insurance and job security
Cons
located in kentucky