Sumner Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

Nursing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNMarch 13, 2017
Gained a ton of experience, opportunity for advancement. Lots of different job opportunities/areas. Great ER physicians to work with. Varied of hours available.
Very busy Emergency Department
Emergency Department RN (Current Employee) –  Gallatin, TNMarch 12, 2017
Very busy ED with wonderful physicians and registered nurses. Mid shift is the best and has great teamwork. The staff are very friendly and helpful. One of the best places I've worked.
Pros
great staff on midshift
Cons
long drive
Great learning experience and work culture
PRN Transporter (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNMarch 3, 2017
I would normally work with the ER and imaging department to transport patients and bill patients on various events. Learned how to do different sets of billings for certain images being taken. Worked with X-Ray, CT, MRI, and Nuclear Med as well as all the different parts of the hospital such as ER, NICU, Pediatrics, Geriatrics, Same Day Surgery, etc.
Pros
Lots of learning potential, free medical check ups and vaccinations, flexible hours
Cons
short lunch, no overtime, no set schedule
Great experience as first nursing job
Critical Care Unit and Emergency Department Nurse (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNFebruary 28, 2017
I worked in CCU and ED. We were always very busy. The facility is newer and very nice with large rooms in the CCU. Good, hard working nurses that worked together as a team.
Pros
Nice facility, close to home, good pay
Cons
Seemed short handed frequently
poorly run
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNFebruary 1, 2017
RUN! This is poorly run and you can never do anything right. The ED is staffed with nurses who thrive on putting their coworkers down. Things that should be addressed get overlooked.
Medical Technologist , Blood Bank Manager (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNDecember 26, 2016
SRMC was a very nice place to work. Every employee was appreciated and treated with respect. The work was interesting and challenging and i learned a lot there.
Pros
Honest pay for honest work.
The reviews say it all
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Gallatin, TNDecember 20, 2016
This entire organization is mismanaged.

High turnover in almost every department with the security department being the worst. Favorites are played like silly schoolchildren do and on so many floors, so watch your back.

Especially within security, and it keeps getting worse. But sure, if you want to call it fixing things by getting us shiny new badges, vests but no weapon, new uniforms in some other color for the hundredth time while taking away long sleeves and leaving us with short sleeves and no coats during the winter months and convince us it is progress, well, bless your little hearts.

Rules, policies, and even laws are broken. Thing is, management is well aware of the problems, but if it mattered to them at all terrible situations would be addressed and resolved. Instead, this pathetic organization of lies, flooding, smoke, and mirrors is being believed for yet another year leaving you, patients, visitors, and staff in possibly dangerous situations.

I would not recommend this place for the career focused, law abiding professional.
Pros
Blue Cross/Blue Shield, SOME coworkers and staff
Cons
Management. Management. Management.
Quick to hire/quick to fire when you ask for the bonus you were promised
RN (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNDecember 7, 2016
former RN: if you're willing take on 7 patients with no CNA's, no managerial support, and little assistants from your co-workers because of their own busy assignments, then this is the perfect place to work!! Oh, forget about that sign-on bonus.... You'll never see it, they'll let you go first.
Pros
Benefits are better than some places
Cons
the pay, 1:7 nurse/patient ratio no CNA's most of the time
Challenging, fast paced
Staff Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Gallitin, TNNovember 28, 2016
Very busy, large (read spread out) facility. Lots of walking. Many times no backup when needed. Often patient care was delayed or omitted.
Pros
Floor staff, all great people
Cons
sometimes overwhelmed with work
great coworkers
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNNovember 16, 2016
Not too much to tell here. I thought it was a great place to work. The coworkers were pretty good to work with for the most part.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
long shifts
Great hospital that serves the community and the surrounding communities
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wellington, KSAugust 22, 2016
Great nursing hours, 12 hour days with alternating weekends off provides family time. Great job if you like a mixture of floors; med surg, long-term care, skilled care and OB-gyn.
The worst hospital I have worked in
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNJuly 8, 2016
Many have been there for years and you will never get what you want with them in charge. You will always work the shift no one wants and the pay is horrible compared to any other hospital. The other positions that are open are just a revolving door of people who run after the see what they where hired into.
Pros
Lunch is ok and pretty cheap
Benefits
Loved my co workers, AWFUL management!!
CNA (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNJuly 7, 2016
I worked at SRMC for two years. I absolutely loved it at first. And then I started noticing how trifling and snobby the higher ups are. They are only worried about the scores, which in turn makes them look good, or bad. They are so fake. My floor got a new director and she was the worst boss I have ever encountered. She would lie, lie, lie on you!! She would come out on the floor around 3pm, and act exhausted and ask if we need anything, ans then thanks us and leaves. I mean, it's pretty self explanatory when we get 6 admissions at once, that help would be appreciated. They float inexperienced nurses to CCU, I wouldn't take my family members there...I wouldn't take a dang gold fish there neither!! I just stayed as long as I did cause it was close to home.
Pros
😅 not applicable
Cons
Too many to mention
Co workers are what makes this job worth coming in for!
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Gallatin, TNJune 3, 2016
I have worked at this facility for 9 years and this is the worst I have seen it, ever. The management has delegated tasks to the nursing staff that take away time we don't have. We are followed around to make sure we are doing bedside report and the observer has a checklist to ensure we are getting each item checked off. If we do not do bedside report we must come in on our day off and observe 5 bedside reports as punishment!! This is like I am in grade school not a professional job! There is not enough staff to cover the shifts, therefore everyone is overworked. Your boss will come around once a shift at the end to pat you on the back for all your "hard work" then quickly leave. We are understaffed, unappreciated, and underpaid. I can not wait to be out of contract to leave this facility!!! It is all about our scores, but we cant raise our scores when we don't have enough staff to meet the patients needs in a timely manner.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management
CT Technologist
CT Technologist (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNFebruary 11, 2016
A reputable hospital wouldn't have a turnover rate as high as this one does if management were attentive. Illegal practices are rampant, you take a chance with employment here in terms of maintaining your license. I personally brought forth numerous illegal problems and was promptly squelched. There's a reason that the same jobs are posted over and over again, and it's not because this facility is a great one. If you are a patient and have medical imaging particularly CT, you are quite possibly being over radiated. I for one won't put my license on the line for a facility lining up for a class action lawsuit.

What more thing I find amusing is my previous review mysteriously disappeared, hmmm could it be I was telling the truth??
Cons
CCU understaffed and unsae former employee
RN (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNFebruary 11, 2016
Poor management, shows favortism, high turn over rate. Over the last few months at least 7 nurses either transferred out, or quit. Some of the nurses there are great, others. I wouldn't take a family member there.
Pros
If your a new grad you can got straight to ICU, don't expect a residency
Cons
all that's listed above
It's just that a workplace
RCP (Current Employee) –  Gallatin, TNJanuary 23, 2016
This was the worst job I've ever had! The management is Horrible! They only care about the numbers not employees! I felt my license was in jeparody working here! Poor patient care!
Pros
You can wear smrc tee's instead of basic scrub tops
Cons
Awful pay, horrible hours, terrible management
Love love love
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNDecember 10, 2015
I really enjoyed working here. This is the hospital that gave me my first " grown up JOB". When i was employed the company always had something for the employees to say thank you, Always someone there to help with benefits every year.
Pros
lots of thank you's and help with employment or school
Cons
pay
A loving and exciting work place.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNNovember 3, 2015
Being a volunteer at Sumner Medical Center had many benefits. One being working and beings around people and patients 24/7, and seeing how appreciative they were because you were doing them the smallest of favors like bringing them a warm blanket or pillow, and putting together gift baskets for patients, and so much more! It differently taught me a lot of things and gave me a visual of things i would see in the medical filed on a daily basis.
Pros
easy and flexible hours
Cons
no pay
Lots of possibilities for New Grad RN
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Gallatin, TNOctober 17, 2015
Overall this facility has a very small town hospital feel. It has a reputation for hiring New Grad RN's into just about all areas of practice, including CCU & ED. Pay is adequate, shift differentials are nothing to brag about, neither are raises. Shift bonus's are frequently offered, especially for night shifts, and can range from $150-$250/shift. If you are looking to make money, picking up nights/weekends can get pretty lucrative. But overworking has lead to the majority of the burnout that I have observed. Most new nurses leave within 1-3 years, either for more money, better commute, or better work environment. Management is decent, probably just as overworked as the general staff. Good leadership within the organization appears to be lacking, or perhaps it's just not fostered by the older style of upper management. The majority of staff nurses that stay with the facility are very comfortable in their career trajectory, or do not wish to make the long commute to Nashville for a more progressive work environment. Average patient load for a floor nurse is 5-6, 7 on a rare occasion. For CCU, 2-3 patients. High turnover leads to consistent short staffing, again especially on nights. Overall, it has not been a terrible place to start. While I will not burn my bridges, I do not see myself remaining with the company for more than 2 years at present.
Pros
Bonus frequently offered for working extra shifts, hires New Grad RN's
Cons
Poor morale, high turnover, inadequate staffing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sumner Regional Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9