SumTotal Systems Employee Reviews

Good company but poorly structured
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLAugust 8, 2017
My position is supposed to be more strategic, but I end up chasing cases all day long - making sure other people are doing their jobs. I have all the responsibility of keeping the customers happy with no authority to make sure the other people do their part of the job.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor senior management
Not the best company culture that I have experienced
ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 6, 2017
Worked here for about 8 months, and during which period I was constantly confused by the process for sales, and became even more confused when they fired me out of nowhere.

Some people may have had different experiences while working for this company, but I definitely struggled each day to even get the salesforce tool updated for sales forecasts.
Cons
Totally
Nothing Long Term
Technical Support Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 24, 2017
This is a great company if you are fresh out of school or looking for something to get by. However, there is no long term option here. No opportunities for advancement, and you will be lucky to ever sniff a semi decent raise.
Productive and fun place to work
Technical Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 18, 2017
great place to work
nice environment and friendly coworkers
expanded learning
bagels on Friday's
pizza party once a month.............................
Fast and productive learning experience
Technical Support Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 15, 2016
I was taught many different learning softwares. My co-workers were my teammates and my teachers. Its a very easy-going, team-oriented office and that is what is most enjoyable.
Pros
Relaxing work enviroment
Good work environment
Talent Acquisition Associate (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 1, 2016
Positive experience both with co-workers and after working with hiring managers to welcome new talent to the SumTotal team.
productive and great co workers
Sr. Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 12, 2016
I really appreciate the work atmosphere, the workload can fluctuate but the leadership seems to keep perspective on growth patterns.
Horribly mismanaged from top to bottom.
Engineer 2 (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 24, 2015
Sumtotal is a bad company by design. The only effective portion of the company is the sales and marketing teams, which must be telling lies as the products are broken and do not meet customer expectations.

I did not have a single customer call that didn't have their representative asking why they bothered with our software. The software is heavily data dependent, by design, and because of the incredibly redundant and poor design choices, it breaks, even when working with the software on the company side. This causes the continual issues with the customer, making CSRs, engineers and the company look bad.

I had more than one instance where I managed to advise better implementation in simple daily tasks that were agreed to and immediately dismissed. This is a technology company that still requires work in triplicate.

If you live in Gainesville and just want a pay check, apply. Otherwise it is not worth living there to deal with a company that doesn't care about itself, its ethics or its employees.
Pros
Due to bad upper level management they're not afraid to waste money: pay and benefits are good, occasional free food
Cons
Horribly management from top to bottom, Forced to deal with and wait on conflicting time zones, Horrible on boarding process, outdated and patchworked methodology, Poor responses for support, Possible racist anti-american attitudes, Several instances where "hindi" was used to hide conversation badly.
Nothing good to say.
Software Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 15, 2015
I really don't have anything to say about this place except that it's priorities were not where they should have been. They were more worried about sales and acquisitions than they were about fixing the products they had.
Pros
Free Soda
Cons
Gainesville
A great place to work
Senior Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 17, 2015
The OnDemand team was awesome up to the day the company was purchased by a venture capital group. Several offices were closed and people were laid off or given the opportunity to relocate from Washington to Florida at their own expense. Oh yea and take a pay cut as well. In all fairness that was several years ago. Not sure what it is like now.
Pros
Great team environment
Fun workplace
Staff Accountant II (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 4, 2014
I have been able to learn many things in my roles at SumTotal. The accounting team that I work with creates a family environment and they allow you to have a great work and family balance. I enjoy the open door policy that my managers have. If I ever want to take on more responsibility or learn new things my managers are willing to listen to me and accommodate my needs to learn.
good place for entry level people
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  West Des MoinesAugust 6, 2014
good work life balance
the bad things is the salary is too low
Pros
flexible
Cons
pay
good place to start a career
Software Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 12, 2014
SumTotal is a great place to try out a new career in software development or quality assurance. They ask a lot of their business side employees, but the developers have a lot more flexibility. This flexibility comes with lower pay than average. There is a lot of talent here, and the culture is very fun and laid back. Overall, a great starter job
Leader in HR Software - Leading through it's Employees
Customer Operations Management (COM) (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 4, 2014
SumTotal will continue to dominate the HR Software World through its employees!

Innovative environment that is constantly changing people's perceptions of what HR Software is!
Senior Implementation Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2013
Good place to work, but you will work hard. Co-workers were knowledgeable and helpful. Even though we worked remotely, there were good vehicles to provide information and make you feel part of the team. They had an excellent training program when I started there.
Pros
Good training program. Ability to work remotely.
Cons
Customer projects are affected by the economy. When it's down, they don't purchase.
struggling to find a direction and minimal employee value
Enterprise Account Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaMarch 6, 2013
Good: work from home, smart people, recognized name, benefits.

Bad: culture, leadership, organizational structure, professional services.

Ugly: turnover, manufactured pressure, micro reporting, customer climate toward company with constant upheaval and revolving door at sales levels.
Pros
work from home
Cons
culture, structure
Leading provider of proven talent development solutions that automate and integrate learning, performance, and compensation systems.
Sr. Analyst-QA - Total Performance (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJanuary 28, 2013
Roles & Responsibilities:
• Analyze and write test cases for product modules.
• Executing the Test Cases, sending reports upon detection of bugs in BugZilla and collecting the test metrics.
• Analyze, automate and maintain test scripts using Rational Functional Tester.
• Install and perform functional testing of the product across various operation systems such as Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 with proper configuration (OS internals, registry, IIS, security, etc.)
• Collaborate with Project Management Team for obtaining Technical and functional clarifications and enhancements.
• Testing low and high priority test cases on different Language (French, Spanish, German, Italian) platforms as part of Localization.
• Extensively conducted database testing using SQL Queries to verify the database updates and create reports.
• Identify the scenarios for UAT and perform User Acceptance Testing.
Yikes
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 29, 2012
Good training program but the company culture was difficult to deal with.
Difficult place to succeed.
sales (Current Employee) –  ***October 23, 2012
Internal roadblocks and micromanagement makes doing the job well difficult at best.