Sun Chemical Employee Reviews in United States

Management accountability workforce
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILFebruary 19, 2016
Management here sucked there were numerous times where the shipping supervisor would tell a few guys he was tired of certain people and they were going to get fired. i was contacted from a manager through text yelling at me and screaming about how i am unreliable because i could not come in early. The work i did was never enough even though no one else did as much.. i was fired for the same reason as someone else that wasnt.. everyone knew and talked about the plant managers sleeping together having affairs.. pay could have been a little better working in a harmful to health and environment factory.. one of my bosses had 2 or 3 cousins working under him.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
bad people in management.
Sun Chemical was a good company with room for advancement
Electrical and Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIFebruary 15, 2016
Sun Chemical was a good company with opportunities for training and advancement.

Typical day at work was trouble shooting electrical equipment. Learned calibrating instrumentation that was involved with air permits for the environment, which I consider to have been the most enjoyable part of the job.

My co-workers along with management were all easy to get along with as well as working with.
Pros
Opportunities for additional training.
Cons
Lack of business - laid off.
From Idea to Final Drawings
Co-op Session 1 (Former Employee) –  Northlake, ILJune 16, 2016
As an engineering project manager I led projects from being an idea to completion of final documents and the cutting of Purchase Orders. I was responsible for projects varying from 40K to 350K. Usually I had five or six projects going at the same time. The job required me to travel across the United States from San Francisco to Philadelphia. This was the hardest part of the job for me. I enjoyed the work and excelled but my family and my church matter to me so it was difficult to leave week after week. Travel ranged from about 50 to 85%.

I learned to lead people much older than myself and tackle complex automation problems and deal with personnel issues as well.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing all the moving pieces come together to at the end and being able to hand over a completed project that I was proud to put my name on.
Industry Leader
Team Coach/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati,OHAugust 21, 2015
Great company to work for. They are an industry leader in printing and publication ink. Great coworkers and awesome opportunity to learn more about manufacturing.
Pros
Good compensation and benefits
Cons
No room for advancement or tuition reimbursement
Sun Chemical
Account manager/Channel manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILJanuary 28, 2016
Good solid company. Well run from a management perspective. Organized uses 6 sigma theory. Territories are large and travel required.
Pros
solid
Cons
a lot of travel
fun work place with a nice vacation package.
Ink Technician (Former Employee) –  Thomasville, NCApril 15, 2016
Since i was stationed at the implant i diddnt see my co workers at sun chemical much but when i did it was always pleasant. Co workers were helpful when i had to call them to ask questions about a certain shipment etc.
Pros
Start out with three weeks vacation
Cons
Would get called ion the weekend from time to time
Decent place to work but difficult to get the required support needed to progress sale
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 25, 2016
Strong metric based sales process, superior technical capabilities within the companies legacy portfolio. Analytical teams very strong. Very difficult to get the technical resources out into the field when needed.

Lots of personal follow-up required to get what is needed when it is needed.
Pros
Strong Portfolio
Cons
Weak Support
Productive learning environment for an Internship
Marketing Associate Intern (Former Employee) –  Northlake, ILDecember 8, 2015
I worked a summer internship at Sun Chemical in their Marketing department. The managers were all great and eager to help you learn on the job. Hours were very consistent and it paid decently for an internship. Working there gave me a lot of insight on how important marketing is in an international company.
Pros
Fun environment, great people, challenging yet not overwhelming
Cons
Only lasted a Summer
I had an extraordinary breadth of hands-on plant engineering experience.
Project/Plant/Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chester, SCFebruary 15, 2016
I introduced Diogenes process control system to chemical plant with twenty 5000 gal reactors. Also introduced Modicon PLC system.
I enjoyed my work hours
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 9, 2016
I like the fast pace time went by quick. Enjoyed making ink pigments & unloading the ink into totes. My co workers were a joy to work with.
Long hours and abundent stress
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 7, 2015
Many long hours and stress above an acceptable level. Commission plan is overly complex. Budgets seem to be done by guess and not what customers would purchase making all but impossible to meet a sales budget
Pros
Company car
Cons
Very productive and organized company
Interactive Control Room Operator (Former Employee) –  Wurtland, KYJanuary 1, 2014
The most enjoyable part of this job was the work schedule. After seven days of harsh chemical exposure in the work environment, we were treated to seven days off work.
Pros
excellent place to work
Cons
– pay is less than stellar, most people are paid below industry average. benefits are probably above average, but have been declining over the last few years (as i suspect everyone's are)
Great Benefits
receiving clerk (Former Employee) –  Maumee OhioAugust 26, 2015
It is a good place to work. It is a fast paced environment that makes the day go fast. They have good equipment to work with.
Pros
tv in lunch room with cable
Cons
dirty job
co-workers are great people to work with
manufacturing (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 3, 2012
Sun Chemical makes printing ink for industrial printers. Everything, for the most part has gone digital. There is no reason that anyone would want pursue a carrier with Sun Chemical or in this field. There will be no job security in the printing field over the next forseeable future. I knew that I would not retire with Sun Chemical. Management does not know how to manage their people without the employees working in fear for their jobs. employees should get two paid 15 min breaks with a unpaid half hour for lunch. you only get a 25 min paid lunch break.
Pros
good pay
Cons
short breaks
Nothing nice to say
Deductions Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 23, 2015
For fear of retaliation I will not give my comments or feedback concerning this employer. If I could give zero stars then that's exactly what I would do. .
nice job
production operator (Former Employee) –  goose creekMay 19, 2015
Good place to work with plenty of over time if you want it. hard to get use to swing shift. overall it is a pretty good company.
Pros
management
Cons
swing shift
Excellent Company
National Programs Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 22, 2015
Fast paced company in the Packaging Industry. Sun Chemical, a member of the DIC Group, is the world’s largest ink and pigment manufacturer
Good place to work, good environment
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILMay 27, 2014
The work was good, training was solid, which was especially helpful as it was my first venture into the field of commercial/industrial inks.

Typical day was largely the same from day to day, creating ink samples, matching colors to recipes and reformulating the recipes to get a closer match to the color that the customer wanted. Repetitive, but not boring.

Direct management was good, though the upper management communication could have been better, as there were some times when there was confusion as to what exactly was going on and what was supposed to be happening at a particular time.
Job security
Account Analyst (Current Employee) –  cincinnati ohioFebruary 18, 2015
This place is a truly great place work ! There is room for advancement and everyone shows you how much they care about you doing well in your position .
Pros
job security
Cons
try not to get a late shift
Helped me advance to my next goal, management
In-Plant Technician (Former Employee) –  Wixom, MIJune 26, 2013
Follow up with managers, supervisors, and workers to serve their needs as I was a rep for my company, Sun Chemical. I learned a great deal about customer service and dealing with tense situations and deadlines. Management and co-workers were great! They helped me get familair with the company's day to day routine so I could develope a better understanding of my role. The hardest part was leaving the company but it was for a better opprotunity.
Pros
tuition reimbursement
Cons
on call, even during class.