Sun Communities Employee Reviews in United States

It depends on management and gm
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Osceola, INJuly 24, 2016
When the manager and the regional manger and O.c party together and stay at each other house and the manger tell the regional boss what they going to do and they act like you dumb and don't know your job and I ask for help and they tell you I can do it you can to but yet your oc does most your work for you and they don't work with you when comes to family like say they do and the main office only cares about money not its employees or residence...
its a job
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 23, 2016
I enjoyed the community and the residents I was great, the company was good to work for as a 1th community , the regional s office was there with mine and she treated everyone like they were thieves which made the job harder.
Pros
was good company
Cons
poor regional management
Sun Communities was a good place to work for, however management was poor.
Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gwynn, VAMay 15, 2016
Job was enjoyable, however, I did not receive the help I was promised and ended up having to prepare meals, serve, and clean up by myself and we had a lot of food events. The most difficult part was not having a manager who would keep promises to correct issues and to answer important questions regarding my job in a timely manner.
Pros
Beautiful scenery, nice campers, rewarding job responsibilities
Cons
Poor management
Terrible company dont work at the riverside club
Cook (Former Employee) –  Ruskin, FLMay 14, 2016
Get your schedule day of. Disrespectful management. Not worth the stress. Go look for a job elsewhere this one just isnt worth it unless you like being treated like dirt
Pros
Cons
Everything about this place
Productive work enviroment
Guest Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Citra, FLMay 3, 2016
The company has a high turn over rate with Mangers. The CEO is protected and non accessible for any employee or resident concerns. The Property is beautiful with a Restaurant on the water, a 9 Hole Golf Course and Pool and lots of activities for the guests.
Benefits
Cons
Income
Biggest Mistake of my life
PROPERTY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Florida State, FLMarch 11, 2016
A lot of work for a day, no support when dealing with hostile residents. Direct supervisor is not a supportive person. NO response when needing guidance. If you bring a problem to your immediate supervisor the phase of "your the problem" is used to describe you.
Pros
Discounted home to live in
Cons
Job threaten daily, verbal assults by residents and management says grow a thicker skin.
It was a middle of the road job. Not good or bad.
Head Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Holland, OHFebruary 24, 2016
I was the only maintenance man. My job was very detailed to apartment maintenance. The hardest part was at times I was not safe in the environment.
Bad and degrading place to work. Your peers are not to be trusted
Office coirdibator (Former Employee) –  DeBary, FLFebruary 21, 2016
Worked in Debary. Did a great job but the manager was a lazy good for nothing . She didn't do her job but had the office coordinator do everything. They tell lies and corporate does nothing about it. It was obvious that the manager had a friend who needs the office coordinator job so I was out. This place is just a bad place to work and should be closed down . Former manager was great until they told lies about her also.
Pros
Cons
Manager is lazy and does not know her job
Made to feel useless
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 10, 2016
Only worked here for a few weeks. Manager spent more time bringing her sick child to work than spending time for proper training. Rude and short was her constant attitude. When this was brought up to corporate I was told "you just are not what Sun Community wants as an employee" so if you want to be degraded by management go ahead and apply. Other than that you are more valuable to a better company.
Pros
Cons
Rude upper management. In adequate training
Great job but poor management
Social Media Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZFebruary 2, 2016
I was excited when I was hired on as their Social Media Coordinator. But, quickly learn that the management thought they own the employees underneath them and even stated it in a meeting. The job I was hired for quickly became a Marketing Coordinator position but management didn't see it that way. I was torn between two bosses with two different views regarding my position. The upper boss had stated that I was there to help all departments, but the season secondary boss that I fell under made it clear to me she didn't like that I did projects for other managers and made it very difficult for me. When confronted with my issue and asked how should I handle it I was pretty much told just handle it. There was no support from upper management. I finally left the company with a two week noticed and was let go the next day after I could get no where with management and was asked by my secondary boss to use a copyrighted image and to alter it. Lastly, my secondary boss had no clue about copyright laws, social media, nor marketing. She didn't even know any of the social media sites and never used them.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
Had to work through lunch due to I was always track down to ask questions, Poor Managment Skills
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant to VP (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 1, 2015
I have had the pleasure of working at this company for at least 6 months as a sub contractor. The work environment is great. It is a very lucrative company, however, very difficult to become a permanent employee. It is a fun place to work, and Sun seems to take really great care of their employees.
Pros
Overall Positive
Cons
The talent recruiters don't take the proper initiatives to select viable candidates.
Swell experience
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Henness Rd, Casa Grande, AZSeptember 15, 2015
I'm a very family oriented individual, which allows me to be free with my crew, I worked well with all the other employees, older or younger. Cooking comes from a young age in our family, I have a strong desire to not only cook, but work, so everything fell in its place. The recipes were the easiest, getting it together with missing items, was the challenge at times, but we always conquered it.
Pros
Peoples person, cook.
Cons
Ingredients lost
Good place to work as i live in this community
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Lakeview MHC Ypsilanti, MIJune 14, 2015
There is no typical day they are all different . The day usually goes by fast because we are very busy . The current manager is a go getter that took getting used to but is mostly fun to work for . As far as co-workers the office staff is generally good . As far as my maintenance partners there have been many of them mostly bad (6-7 different guys since I have worked here) although the fellow working with me now is competent . Hardest part of the job is dealing with the problem residents . The most enjoyable part about the job is when the day is done and I can walk my tired bones home .
Pros
Live in community, can walk to work.
Cons
My rate of pay .
Thankless Work
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianapolisMay 9, 2015
It is typical Property Management combined with unique sales opportunities. They pay great compared to most, but ask you work without human resource to accomplish most tasks. Executives do not believe in staff but also do not believe in paying for quality contract work. Therefore by virtue of default a person cannot accomplish success without the correct tools.
Pros
Commissions - Free Home to Live In
Cons
Work Constantly, No Security, No Loyalty
Great company to work for
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Apache Junction, AZMarch 12, 2015
Customer oriented, fast paced, committed to excellence.
Management willing to help and support team members. Coworkers are supportive and contribute to the overall success of the company. Hardest part is balancing interaction with tenants and completion of daily tasks in a timely manner.
On the most part, I enjoyed working for Sun Communities.
Office/Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHOctober 29, 2014
In the position I held, I worked with the residents and new prospects. I would try to take care of any problems or concerns than they may have, collect rent, deposits, write up violations, do follow ups on violations, clean the office area, file, open new accounts and files, take applications, collect conditions, set appointments, do bank deposits, answer phones and help with lease signings and home closings among other things.
While working in Ohio for Sun Communities, I absolutely loved working for the manager, SVP and RVP. Above that, I would have to give a lower rating to upper management. I never felt that we were appreciated for anything that we did by the upper management. Those working in the corporate office were visibly treated different than those of us out in the field. They gave us more work and less commission and the pay for my position was not that good for the work that I did.
Pros
good hours and benefits
Cons
no appreciation for your hard work.
Big Mistake !
Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers Beach, FLOctober 21, 2014
This place threw me under the bus from day one and I lasted 2 1/2 weeks for which I was only paid 2. Co-workers didn't get along at all and little training offered. When I asked questions I was accused of being argumentative. Then when you didn't do something right you're called into a meeting like you're some kind of idiot. If you are professional and have any integrity, this is NOT the place for you !
Pros
going home at the end of the day
Cons
to many to list
Enjoyable work environment depending on who your manager is
Inventory Account Specialist-Asset Management (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 12, 2014
Great place to work all depending on who your direct department manager may be.
Great place to work.
Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Buford, GASeptember 7, 2014
A day with this company doesn't feel like work. I enjoyed each day that I was able to work for them.
Good company to work for
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Nappanee, INAugust 12, 2014
good company to work for, I just didn't get one of the better communities
Pros
lot of vacation time for employees
Cons
my community

2.9