Sun Communities

Sun Communities Employee Reviews

Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant to VP (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 1, 2015
I have had the pleasure of working at this company for at least 6 months as a sub contractor. The work environment is great. It is a very lucrative company, however, very difficult to become a permanent employee. It is a fun place to work, and Sun seems to take really great care of their employees.
Pros
Overall Positive
Cons
The talent recruiters don't take the proper initiatives to select viable candidates.
Swell experience
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Henness Rd, Casa Grande, AZSeptember 15, 2015
I'm a very family oriented individual, which allows me to be free with my crew, I worked well with all the other employees, older or younger. Cooking comes from a young age in our family, I have a strong desire to not only cook, but work, so everything fell in its place. The recipes were the easiest, getting it together with missing items, was the challenge at times, but we always conquered it.
Pros
Peoples person, cook.
Cons
Ingredients lost
Good place to work as i live in this community
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Lakeview MHC Ypsilanti, MIJune 14, 2015
There is no typical day they are all different . The day usually goes by fast because we are very busy . The current manager is a go getter that took getting used to but is mostly fun to work for . As far as co-workers the office staff is generally good . As far as my maintenance partners there have been many of them mostly bad (6-7 different guys since I have worked here) although the fellow working with me now is competent . Hardest part of the job is dealing with the problem residents . The most enjoyable part about the job is when the day is done and I can walk my tired bones home .
Pros
Live in community, can walk to work.
Cons
My rate of pay .
Thankless Work
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianapolisMay 9, 2015
It is typical Property Management combined with unique sales opportunities. They pay great compared to most, but ask you work without human resource to accomplish most tasks. Executives do not believe in staff but also do not believe in paying for quality contract work. Therefore by virtue of default a person cannot accomplish success without the correct tools.
Pros
Commissions - Free Home to Live In
Cons
Work Constantly, No Security, No Loyalty
Great company to work for
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Apache Junction, AZMarch 12, 2015
Customer oriented, fast paced, committed to excellence.
Management willing to help and support team members. Coworkers are supportive and contribute to the overall success of the company. Hardest part is balancing interaction with tenants and completion of daily tasks in a timely manner.
On the most part, I enjoyed working for Sun Communities.
Office/Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHOctober 29, 2014
In the position I held, I worked with the residents and new prospects. I would try to take care of any problems or concerns than they may have, collect rent, deposits, write up violations, do follow ups on violations, clean the office area, file, open new accounts and files, take applications, collect conditions, set appointments, do bank deposits, answer phones and help with lease signings and home closings among other things.
While working in Ohio for Sun Communities, I absolutely loved working for the manager, SVP and RVP. Above that, I would have to give a lower rating to upper management. I never felt that we were appreciated for anything that we did by the upper management. Those working in the corporate office were visibly treated different than those of us out in the field. They gave us more work and less commission and the pay for my position was not that good for the work that I did.
Pros
good hours and benefits
Cons
no appreciation for your hard work.
Big Mistake !
Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers Beach, FLOctober 21, 2014
This place threw me under the bus from day one and I lasted 2 1/2 weeks for which I was only paid 2. Co-workers didn't get along at all and little training offered. When I asked questions I was accused of being argumentative. Then when you didn't do something right you're called into a meeting like you're some kind of idiot. If you are professional and have any integrity, this is NOT the place for you !
Pros
going home at the end of the day
Cons
to many to list
Enjoyable work environment depending on who your manager is
Inventory Account Specialist-Asset Management (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 12, 2014
Great place to work all depending on who your direct department manager may be.
Great place to work.
Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Buford, GASeptember 7, 2014
A day with this company doesn't feel like work. I enjoyed each day that I was able to work for them.
Good company to work for
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Nappanee, INAugust 12, 2014
good company to work for, I just didn't get one of the better communities
Pros
lot of vacation time for employees
Cons
my community
Great concept, but lacking in the basics
Maintenance Tech (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaJuly 8, 2014
The company has a great concept of lease to own homes. The thought is that leasing homes to own eases the cost of the property, especially maintenance. The problem is comes in where the job of maintenance becomes more of a landscaping and janitorial position. I would say that 85-90 percent of my job falls in those two categories. The final 10 -15 percent is miscellaneous and maintenance work.
Pros
low on call times
Cons
not the job i was sold
Great community, excellent training potential, good commision and bonus program.
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Byron Center, MIJuly 1, 2014
High expectation company. you are allowed to excel and bonuses and commissions support it. Standard monthly checklist and meeting with supervisor are constantly checked for opportunities for sales or leases. They are publicly traded and are always worried about numbers.
Pros
pay, good community, good regionals, company promotions
Cons
high stress, ran out of homes and no empty lots to bring new homes in.
great lunch with a bunch of great friends
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHJune 10, 2014
typical day was loaded with hard work,which is great because i enjoy
working with a challenge - co-workers (maint. staff) always joined in.
mgr. and office staff was always busy.
hardest part of the job ; was digging a 3-4 ft. hole to repair broken water lines.
hardest part of the job was cleaning out the waste station , daily.
it`s human waste , and it stinks.
what i learned from this job is ; it`s not always about how much money you make,it`s about the people you work with.
there was no fighting , no arguing, no bickering, no politics,
everyone seriously are friends. and yes even to this day we still keep in contact.
Pros
1 sometimes 2 times a month free lunch - mgr. was great - i enjoyed working fro her.
Cons
no cons - i loved working there .
Not a good place to work.
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Firestone, CoApril 3, 2014
Very poor work environment. I was constantly threaten with my job. I was denied or made fun of when asked to take a 15 minute break. I was belittled by management repeatedly. Definitely NOT a good place to work!
Pros
no pros
Cons
no benefits for hourly employees, low wages, bad management, poor working environment.
Lots of Pressure
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Canton, MIJanuary 24, 2014
Don't believe in their employee's! Don't pay separation wages that are due and do not pay PTO earned.
really rather not comment
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 20, 2013
I dont have anything positive to say about this company, only that they allow one bad apple to spoil the bunch.
Flexible Schedule
KITCHEN HELPER (Current Employee) –  Geneva-on-the-LakeNovember 15, 2013
I enjoy my job and my co-workers. The hours in the winter time are less than I was expecting but during the summer months, I was able to have a full time schedule.
Fun workplace, excellent pay
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  southfield, MichiganNovember 5, 2013
Corporate environment. Nice co-workers. Cool Management. Great Benefits
Unprofessional Work Environment
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ft.Myers, FLOctober 13, 2013
The very first day I worked for Sun Communities I was about to walk out.
Two women that were now my co-workers had big chips on their shoulders. They both were very rude and unwelcoming. Later I learned that one of the women applied for the opportunity that I was offered and she did everything in her power to try to make it miserable for me. My responsibilities as the Office Coordinator were overwhelming but I managed to get my work completed. The manager had poor training skills; when it came to lease contracts the paperwork had to be redone over and over again and homeowners were inconvenienced by having to come in again and again to initial changes that had to be made. How embarrassing! Not to mention the manager took no accountability for these errors and instead left me to make all of the corrections and face the residents while she sat back and collected the commissions. The most enjoyable part of the job was leaving at the end of the day!
Pros
the residents and guests were great!
Cons
two miserable front desk co-workers.
The best company I've ever worked for.
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 26, 2013
Great upper management, great support staff and great pay. My only problem is the long hours.
Pros
great benefits