Sun Communities Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaNovember 5, 2016
Like any job, you get what you put into it. Sun Communities is a great growing company to work for. If you are willing to work, apply yourself, and follow through on your web training, you can go as far as you want to in this company. There is plenty of room for advancement. The salary, company benefits, which includes free housing, is above average. There are deadlines, financial objectives to be met, and extra effort that needs to be put in, but what Management position would not expect this. There is a balance of work and home lifestyle that they encourage. However, if you have fallen behind on your promises, like any Management position, you will put in the extra hours to fulfill your obligation. It's all about Time Management, and follow thru. I started out in an hourly position, with Management experience. I told my Manager my desires to advance in the company. We sat down and went over a development plan with time objectives, partnered with the Learning and Development Team at Corporate in MI, and in less than 5 months, I was promoted. Working for Sun Communities is the best career decision I could have made.
Pros
Free Housing, great benefits, above average compensation
Cons
Frequent policy changes, due to growth.
The residents are nice
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Apache Junction, AZSeptember 22, 2016
Due to very poor management, lack of training and poor wage this is a good place for a person starting out in the work force but you will not make it a career i was hired and worked almost 4 weeks without management Leaving me to deal with upset tenants. Seems as if the corporate mentality is take care of the management not the techs also very poor communication they also will not give any wage increase for good performance. Also the actual corporation is completely out of touch with its properties and people and employees
Pros
Work schedule was good
Cons
No management no communication no possibility for advancement
sun is a teaching company
Senior Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Alpine, MIOctober 4, 2016
coming from an apartment management to a manufactured housing community had more challenges. Sun requires a certain number of classes to be taken yearly which was extremely helpful. I had a dedicated team, and 403 lots I was responsible for. taking a community that was at 79% with 82 vacant lots in 2010 and bringing it up to 99% with 1 vacant lot all through 2015-2016, being a community where everyone wanted to live in, to relocated their homes into, and being in an area with the best schools.
Pros
compensation, matching 401k
Cons
micro-managing and slight discrimination
Good place
Senior Executive (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 1, 2016
Liked it, good culture and management. Would recommend to anyone that would consider working there. Lots of fringe benefits and solid growth for the future.
Very thankless job!
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 21, 2016
Although the free housing and paid utilities are nice, it is a very thankless job. Residents hate the constant rent increases, and think it's your fault. Upper management expects you to work magic with little support. Job security is a joke, and if you think you can meet sales goals with the very little support your get, you are in for a rude awakening. Stay away from this position unless you like constant stress and headakes. It is a "trailer park" and the stereotype holds true! Oh, HR and tech support is a joke as well. If you have a problem, good luck getting a timely response.
Pros
Free home and paid utilities.
Cons
Everything about the job!
Productive and fun place to work
Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 3, 2016
This is a job where you never want to leave, my position was only for seasonal but I would love to join the team again. This is a dream job for all that love a fun team and positive clean corporate environment.
Pros
Work/life balance and great benefits
Cons
Seasonal position
Good Start for Career Planning Job
Resort Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIAugust 14, 2016
Sun Communities is a nice place to work. You don't have to worry about the stress of a boss breathing down your back. The only thing is the bonuses aren't that good. They kind of overload certain people with calls while others barely get some calls. The company does work with schedules far as school and children issues, so that's a plus.
Pros
Friendly, Free Lunches, Good perks
Cons
No raises, unless promotion which is rare. No equality with call volume
the time I spend at my job
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INAugust 30, 2016
Typical day is working on computer, entering information, payments, checking invoices, adding late payment or charges. Answer phones greet people. Show people homes to rent. Learned more in what it takes or the information needed to rent. My manager is a nice person ,funny and we get along good. My co-worker I like and get along and have found out alot from this co-worker of what is going on with management. I do not like working for someone that throws you under the bus to save themselves. Take responsibility for your own faults, don't believe into stealing from the company. The most enjoyable part of job is talking with the tenants. So have become friends.
Pros
good hours and pay
Great! Learned a lot and was trained properly.
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kyle, TXOctober 13, 2016
Working at this location was a wonderful experience. I learned a lot and became very familiar with the business as well as enjoyed very much working with and learning from my then manager, Vanessa.
Pros
Great Commissions, flexible hours and great community
Cons
only part time for office coordinator, more hours are needed no benefits
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 8, 2017
Great place to work, extensive in house education and opportunity for advancement. As manager your are in charge of all day to day operations. In my case I was covering other properties helping other Managers with day to day job duties.
Pros
Housing included plus commission
Cons
easy work and nice place to work
office assistant in the HR department (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 15, 2017
I did data entry, the managers were nice, there was free coffee from a starbucks within the office building. Co-workers were friendly and compensation was nice.
Productive work enviroment
Guest Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Citra, FLMay 3, 2016
The company has a high turn over rate with Mangers. The CEO is protected and non accessible for any employee or resident concerns. The Property is beautiful with a Restaurant on the water, a 9 Hole Golf Course and Pool and lots of activities for the guests.
Benefits
Cons
Income
Sun Communities was a good place to work for, however management was poor.
Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gwynn, VAMay 15, 2016
Job was enjoyable, however, I did not receive the help I was promised and ended up having to prepare meals, serve, and clean up by myself and we had a lot of food events. The most difficult part was not having a manager who would keep promises to correct issues and to answer important questions regarding my job in a timely manner.
Pros
Beautiful scenery, nice campers, rewarding job responsibilities
Cons
Poor management
Great place to grow in Customer Service
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Buford, GANovember 4, 2016
A typical day at work included collecting payments from tenants and homeowners, answering phone calls, completing work orders, posting new listings, updating information in Yardi, showing available homes for rent and/or sale, keeping up with new and existing applicants.
It depends on management and gm
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Osceola, INJuly 24, 2016
When the manager and the regional manger and O.c party together and stay at each other house and the manger tell the regional boss what they going to do and they act like you dumb and don't know your job and I ask for help and they tell you I can do it you can to but yet your oc does most your work for you and they don't work with you when comes to family like say they do and the main office only cares about money not its employees or residence...
Great Company, Horrible Accounting Department
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIAugust 30, 2012
Sun is a stable, growing company as long as you don't work in its accounting department. Various levels of management in its accounting department are clueless as to your performance. If your team leader likes you, you could do dismal work and management with think you are an Einstein. If your team leader doesn't like you, you could actually be an Einstein and management will think you would be better suited for a job at McDonald's. If you work in its accounting department, document everything (including the occasional harassment/intimidation that you'll likely face from team leaders who suffer from an obvious case of un-diagnosed bi-polar disorder)!
Pros
competitive pay, good benefits, advancement opportunities
Cons
accounting dept. management is dismal, border on harassment
fun work place
Pool Attendant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 17, 2016
Very friendly staff, great company to work for work for woodlake trails office. Would love to stay with the company but was only employed seasonal pool attendant
its a job
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 23, 2016
I enjoyed the community and the residents I was great, the company was good to work for as a 1th community , the regional s office was there with mine and she treated everyone like they were thieves which made the job harder.
Pros
was good company
Cons
poor regional management
Fun environment, employee-focused company, great forward-thinking management
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 20, 2012
Of the companies I've worked with in the past at the corporate level, Sun's commitment to employee wellness and a healthy, fun environment floored me from day 1.

Employees openly smile, greet one another regularly and I've yet to encounter a single Sun employee that stares at the ground in passing or avoids eye contact. That says a lot about the character of the company and the happiness of its employees.

While upper management is concerned about numbers, it's a for profit company and that's to be expected. At the same time they clearly show concern for the employees who support them.

I love the communication and collaboration among the teams, the response time and turnaround on interdepartmental communications, and the support received when issues arise.

Easily the best career choice I've made coming to Sun
Pros
great benefits, approachable management even at the executive level, strong it support, the equipment to do my job, great training, clear opportunities for advancement, food provided on a number of occasions, company events, competitive pay
Cons
none yet
Terrible company dont work at the riverside club
Cook (Former Employee) –  Ruskin, FLMay 14, 2016
Get your schedule day of. Disrespectful management. Not worth the stress. Go look for a job elsewhere this one just isnt worth it unless you like being treated like dirt
Pros
Cons
Everything about this place

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6